Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Chalax posted:

How The gently caress did you beat Byblos with that combo, because that's what I've got so far (no dancer yet).

Page 32's from the library cast X-Zone when caught and released with your Beastmaster. Byblos is vulnerable to it.

It doesn't have a perfect hit rate, so you may need to save and reload a few times, but it'll get rid of him for you once it does hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

hubris.height posted:

how do i beat twintania

i guess there's supposed to be a chance to cast odin when s/he charges gigaflare, but i've tried waiting for that and going to use lainku and s/he immediately gets to cast gigaflare that same second, without a chance to do the instant kill move

e: samurai, dancer, red mage, berserker

Death scythe on the berserker. Assassin dagger on the dancer. And lainku on the samurai. Do not attack until he changes form.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

hubris.height posted:

how do i beat twintania

i guess there's supposed to be a chance to cast odin when s/he charges gigaflare, but i've tried waiting for that and going to use lainku and s/he immediately gets to cast gigaflare that same second, without a chance to do the instant kill move

e: samurai, dancer, red mage, berserker

Shwqa posted:

Death scythe on the berserker. Assassin dagger on the dancer. And lainku on the samurai. Do not attack until he changes form.

Yep. Tell the berserker not to attack. :v:

In all seriousness, you can equip Coral Rings and use his Tidal Wave counters for free healing, or kill off the 'zerker and go with Hermes' Sandals for haste so you can get an extra round of attacks in during his charging phase.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Lilli posted:

Use the assassin's dagger to just attack. Its only a 25% chance, but it works reliably.

worked on the first try holy cow lol

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

hubris.height posted:

worked on the first try holy cow lol

That can't be possible, it's not reliable! You should spend an hour on a convoluted setup that also isn't guaranteed. [/dragondarch]

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

That can't be possible, it's not reliable! You should spend an hour on a convoluted setup that also isn't guaranteed. [/dragondarch]

And then reset the console instead of casting the Reset spell, just so that you have to re-fight an earlier boss.

I really am glad I tuned in to The Run this year. :allears:

EDIT: Or did he get wiped? I was focusing on the other three at the time.

Chalax
Jun 16, 2009

Edward_Tohr posted:

Page 32's from the library cast X-Zone when caught and released with your Beastmaster. Byblos is vulnerable to it.

It doesn't have a perfect hit rate, so you may need to save and reload a few times, but it'll get rid of him for you once it does hit.

First try. I've grinded 5 levels in here because I didn't have the damage output to beat him with fists. Seems punchmans are not always the answer.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Chalax posted:

First try. I've grinded 5 levels in here because I didn't have the damage output to beat him with fists. Seems punchmans are not always the answer.

Beastmaster is a more thinking man's job. Lots of tricks and shenanigans, like catching Crystelles.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

hubris.height posted:

fucccckkk

how do i beat this guy without having float to cast? he kills my red mage and dancer with one earth shake. then another one to kill everyone else!

I know it's a bit late, but in my experience most of the bosses in this game can just be burned down with a sufficiently powerful alpha strike. Depending on which boss you're talking about*/your levels/your lineup, you may not actually be able to perform that alpha strike, but bosses like Catastrophe aren't actually terribly difficult if you can set up that alpha strike in the first place.

*Notably:
-Neo Exdeath has too much health and too many parts to do this.
-Omega has an attack script and counters that will destroy you if you try poking him incautiously, and his defenses are too high to deal damage in the first place without finding ways around them. (Rapid Fire, weaknesses, Sword Dance, etc.)
-Shinryu hits like a truck and has a bevy of status ailments to boot.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Beastmaster is a more thinking man's job. Lots of tricks and shenanigans, like catching Crystelles.

Wait, what does that d-

the algorithms guide posted:

NAME: Thing
LEVEL: 52 EXP: 0
HP: 3 GIL: 2000
MP: 500 SPEED: 20
ATTACK: 100 MAGIC POWER: 0
ATT. MULT: 7 MAGIC MULT: 4
EVADE%: 50 MAGIC EVADE%: 33
DEFENSE: 50 MAGIC DEFENSE: 0
ELEMENTAL IMMUNITY: None
STATUS IMMUNITY: Toad, Mini, Poison, Aging
ELEMENTAL ABSORB: Water, Air, Earth, Holy, Poison, Lightning, Ice, Fire
CAN'T EVADE: None
ELEMENTAL WEAKNESS: None
CREATURE TYPE: Heavy
IMMUNITY: None
INITIAL STATUS: None
SPECIALTY: Critical
SPECIALTY EFFECT: 1.5 * Damage
SPELLS: Dynamo
CONTROL: Fight, Armor, Shell, Float
BLUE MAGIC: None
CATCH: MghtyGrd
DROP (ALWAYS): Nothing STEAL (COMMON): Ether
DROP (RARE): Crystal Helmet STEAL (RARE): Crystal Shield
AI SCRIPT:
{Fight,Fight,Specialty}
{Fight,Dynamo,Specialty}

:stwoon:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i've never fought neo ex death before, any protips?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

hubris.height posted:

Use the 3rd cast of the magic lamp to instakill the bottom left part, then kill the bottom right part next because it casts Almagest. Alternatively throw all of your gil at him.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Edward_Tohr posted:

Wait, what does that d-

:stwoon:

Figuring out how to do two damage to something with three health is part in the hilarious fun! :science:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

hubris.height posted:

He's got four bits, and if there's only one left alive it'll go berserk and try to murdilate you with all of his specialty moves, as well as Meteor, so keep two parts alive and whittle them down to low health together.

Almagest is a bitch and a half: basically you're eating ~1600 holy damage every time it gets cast. Shell cuts that in half, but watch out for Dispel. He'll give you a warning for this one by shaking more violently.

Grand Cross just rolls the dice and slaps you with random status ailments. Including HP Leak, Petrify, Low HP, and Death. This one gets a text prompt to warn you, "The laws of the universe mean nothing!".

The back part can be killed with the Magic Lamp, once it cycles to Odin, and uses Delta Attack, which can petrify.

Since he's four independent parts, he can get you with all of them at once, so be alert.

Kyrosiris posted:

Figuring out how to do two damage to something with three health is part in the hilarious fun! :science:

Yes. Yes it is. :v:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i uhm..

i guess i need to go grind some gil!

is it cheating to use a class just to teleport out of a dungeon?

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
I'm having trouble with Wendigo on a Natural run with Monk/Summoner/Beastmaster/Chemist. Anybody have any tips?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Don't forget, the bottom Almagest part is vulnerable to Stone. If you have Break Blade or equivalent you can one shot it, and if you get really lucky, you can reflect the Delta Attacks onto it.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

hubris.height posted:

i uhm..

I would say that goes against the spirit of suffering that the fiesta is all about.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

hubris.height posted:

i uhm..

Don't leave, look for Movers in the Rift and try to kill them for loads of money.

milk_dud
May 5, 2014

hubris.height posted:

i uhm..

In the last part of the Rift you can use a quicksave to make your second encounter an enemy called Mover. Movers drop 150k gil and as such are a brilliant source of money!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
uhh ohhh... yeah, my save / quicksave hasn't been working because i think i missed a step in setting up my emulator. i'll just wander around trying to get the encounter, thanks for the tips, everyone

e: lmao it still works even though quicksave doesn't technically work. awesome!

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 26, 2015

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Whats the drop rate for reflect rings from the knights in the barrier tower?

Because I've been fighting them for an hour with no drops :shepicide:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

milk_dud posted:

Finally got around to finishing. Pretty easy run as chemistry solved all the problems that archery and dancing couldn't.

Now for run number 2!

Neo Exdeath is looking a little green there.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Neo Exdeath is looking a little green there.

He is looking very...... festive.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

CapitalistPig posted:

Whats the drop rate for reflect rings from the knights in the barrier tower?

Because I've been fighting them for an hour with no drops :shepicide:

Every non-guaranteed drop is 1/16.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

Well, if you've got a blue mage and L4 Graviga...

Or, Excalipoor.

Something else does it too...

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 26, 2015

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Kyrosiris posted:

Every non-guaranteed drop is 1/16.

:sigh: Cmon knights drop em! My first run I got two within 5 minutes.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Any hot tips for killing Byblos with a Bardx2/Berserkerx2 team? The idiots are my main source of damage and I don't think there are any songs available at this point. Right now I'm grinding so I can face tank his attacks, but maybe there's something I'm missing?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Fenrir posted:

Well, if you've got a blue mage and L4 Graviga...

Or, Excalipoor.

Something else does it too...

I seem to recall last year there was a big to-do about trying to capture a Skull Eater, which involved a similar process.

Like Clockwork posted:

Any hot tips for killing Byblos with a Bardx2/Berserkerx2 team? The idiots are my main source of damage and I don't think there are any songs available at this point. Right now I'm grinding so I can face tank his attacks, but maybe there's something I'm missing?

Get lucky with the RNG. If you're using the patch to unlock all your jobs at the start, try slapping Equip Harps on the berserkers and Equip Axes on the bards. Otherwise, just level up and keep trying. Byblos is a prick to teams like that.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Edward_Tohr posted:

I seem to recall last year there was a big to-do about trying to capture a Skull Eater, which involved a similar process.

Actually, (I was the lucky one to discover that) the "method" to capture a Skull Eater was only possible in theory, because enemies are not able to receive the effects of a Goliath Tonic and Skull Eaters only have 1 HP. So you can't do it. Unfortunately.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

CapitalistPig posted:

:sigh: Cmon knights drop em! My first run I got two within 5 minutes.

I got two on my first two kills. The other two? Well, my Summoner/Bard/Ranger/Dragoon is pretty much set till the void and is probably strong enough to beat Ned right now.

Why farm them when I can just cast Carbuncle in a fight? I'm not a smart man.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Natalya Fartz posted:

Why farm them when I can just cast Carbuncle in a fight? I'm not a smart man.

Yeah I guess I could just wait for carbuncle since I'm already at the barrier tower.

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
Anyone have a Fartz NED victory count? I am in World 3 and I am rushing because I wanna be one of the fifty first Fartz winners, but I have to work tomorrow and that wioll kill any chance I may have at missing the cut haha.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

KharlanTree posted:

Anyone have a Fartz NED victory count? I am in World 3 and I am rushing because I wanna be one of the fifty first Fartz winners, but I have to work tomorrow and that wioll kill any chance I may have at missing the cut haha.

count++

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tips for Gilgamesh on Big Bridge? Knight/Zerker/Beastmaster/Dancer.

I easily get to him buffing the hell out of himself, but then he spams jump until I die.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
This run is going really fun. I've gotten three different classes I haven't had in a prior Fiesta! For Sandworm, if I have a beastmaster, my goal is just to release a Dhorme Chimera at him, right?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
So, is there any reason to consider doing a Fiesta run on the iOS version? I got it for that purpose (and because it was on sale), but after a bit, I decided that I miss fast forward too much, so unless there's a bonus to playing iOS instead, I'll be sticking with the GBA version on VBA.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Blue mage, mystic knight, and beast master so far. You're being so kind this year, Gilgabot. I think somebody linked a list of all the things beast master can catch at some point, anybody happen to have that on hand, or have any suggestions? If nothing else I can load up on birds for breath wing.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Thief and blue mage thus far. Just being able to break rods is going to be so amazing, to say nothing of the wacky grab bag that I dimly recall of !Blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
And of course now after like two hours all four rings dropped within 5 minutes of each other.

Time for a break.

• Locked thread