Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
So I'm just getting started leveling AST and now that I've got Royal Road I'm wondering how best to use it. Do I want to try and put a buff on every card I play, or is Royal Road more for putting a card that isn't useful (because you've got downtime between pulls or you don't have anyone in the party who would benefit from it or whatever) towards something productive? And what's the most common use case long-term? Shuffle seems like it's supposed to be your "get rid of this card and pull something better" button, so is RR a "I've got a good spread that I want to buff up" thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I've realized that unless AST is changed considerably from how it is now, I absolutely loathe the class for its failure to deliver on what I envisioned when its mechanics were first being introduced.

What I wanted was a class based around handling snap judgements, with the card mechanics reinforcing that by being powerful but narrowly scoped buffs/effects and combos that were actual combos, not the boring a generic stuff that Royal Road does. The gist is that I wanted to have to try to assess if I can use this narrow effect or if I should save it for use in a combo, which would have increasingly broader effects the more cards the combo used (and an increase in power of the effects, it shouldn't be something you strictly do because you failed to get lucky on your base card buffs not being applicable) . What I got was Spread and Royal Road, which really should have been a single skill.

Yeah, it'd be complicated as all hell, but it would actually have been fun, at least to me. Current AST as I see it is a bargain bin SCH or WHM (and one that can't even swap between the two on the fly) who happens to be a buff turret of largely mediocre but broad buffs (except from Arrow, which is fantastic). Every card that isn't Arrow is a disappointment (okay, Spear can be good, but it relies on either a heavy amount of coordination with one of the DPS to know when their cooldowns are up or being psychic), and while I'm not sure what the optimal use of Royal Road is at the moment, I'm pretty sure there's a rote optimal way to make use if it that will involve absolutely no snap judgements at all. Also, many card uses end up feeling like I used it just because I didn't want to waste it, which is awful. Furthermore, you can't withhold the Royal Road effect from the next card, which can prove incredibly frustrating and basically forces you to use Spread to make any reliable use of Royal Road in a capacity that isn't a dump for cards you couldn't make use of at the time.

In closing, I'm done with the class, likely forever, since I doubt any massive revisions will be made to it. Back to SCH for me.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Obligatum VII posted:

I've realized that unless AST is changed considerably from how it is now, I absolutely loathe the class for its failure to deliver on what I envisioned when its mechanics were first being introduced.

What I wanted was a class based around handling snap judgements, with the card mechanics reinforcing that by being powerful but narrowly scoped buffs/effects and combos that were actual combos, not the boring a generic stuff that Royal Road does. The gist is that I wanted to have to try to assess if I can use this narrow effect or if I should save it for use in a combo, which would have increasingly broader effects the more cards the combo used (and an increase in power of the effects, it shouldn't be something you strictly do because you failed to get lucky on your base card buffs not being applicable) . What I got was Spread and Royal Road, which really should have been a single skill.

Yeah, it'd be complicated as all hell, but it would actually have been fun, at least to me. Current AST as I see it is a bargain bin SCH or WHM (and one that can't even swap between the two on the fly) who happens to be a buff turret of largely mediocre but broad buffs (except from Arrow, which is fantastic). Every card that isn't Arrow is a disappointment (okay, Spear can be good, but it relies on either a heavy amount of coordination with one of the DPS to know when their cooldowns are up or being psychic), and while I'm not sure what the optimal use of Royal Road is at the moment, I'm pretty sure there's a rote optimal way to make use if it that will involve absolutely no snap judgements at all. Also, many card uses end up feeling like I used it just because I didn't want to waste it, which is awful. Furthermore, you can't withhold the Royal Road effect from the next card, which can prove incredibly frustrating and basically forces you to use Spread to make any reliable use of Royal Road in a capacity that isn't a dump for cards you couldn't make use of at the time.

In closing, I'm done with the class, likely forever, since I doubt any massive revisions will be made to it. Back to SCH for me.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
also Hit or Miss Clitors/The Associate, be sure to be on so we can get marriage setup and poo poo

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
This is funny, because I find the class you describe absurdly complex (balancing 36 unique combos while healing and also doing mechanics? are you making GBS threads me?) and actually really enjoy AST as currently implemented. It feels so satisfying dealing with what the RNG gives me and tossing out buffs on people, even if the class needs some numbers tweaks to feel effective as a solo healer. Their MP management is solidly middle of the road between "running on fumes 24/7" WHM and "lol what is MP" SCH (though both of those extremes were dampened somewhat by the introduction of assize and broil respectively) and Lightspeed is really satisfying to use. I feel like AST either needs some numbers tweaked up, something done about nocturnal stance (it seems like hot garbage compared to diurnal so far), or a healing cooldown to pop, because it does fine in sustained healing situations but has some serious trouble with burst.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Thank god you're not a game designer.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
like im all for differing opinions and poo poo but that is so absurd that i really hope its a reddit copypasta

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
they should've made AST have to play triple triad mid-combat to pull buffs from the deck tbqh

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robo Reagan posted:

Will the DX11 client have any impact on framerate? I know it makes things prettier and in generally prettier = laggier.

I got a huge performance gain (10-15 FPS) purely from the way DX11 handles draw calls, which only makes me sad we're not going to see DX12 in FFXIV anytime soon.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Yeah, DX11 running with higher settings gave me substantially more FPS. It's 100% an upgrade, it's great.

abraham linksys posted:

that ravana music is a hell of a thing :stare:

Boss fight music which is literally just a song about the boss, sung from the perspective of the boss is one of my favorite things about FF14.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 26, 2015

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This is funny, because I find the class you describe absurdly complex (balancing 36 unique combos while healing and also doing mechanics? are you making GBS threads me?) and actually really enjoy AST as currently implemented. It feels so satisfying dealing with what the RNG gives me and tossing out buffs on people, even if the class needs some numbers tweaks to feel effective as a solo healer. Their MP management is solidly middle of the road between "running on fumes 24/7" WHM and "lol what is MP" SCH (though both of those extremes were dampened somewhat by the introduction of assize and broil respectively) and Lightspeed is really satisfying to use. I feel like AST either needs some numbers tweaked up, something done about nocturnal stance (it seems like hot garbage compared to diurnal so far), or a healing cooldown to pop, because it does fine in sustained healing situations but has some serious trouble with burst.

Yeah, I realize what I described would be hideously complex. However, I wasn't proposing every single combination of cards have a unique combo. Just... more than three really boring ones? I'd be happy with 5 interesting effects that were more their own thing rather than just a modifier like the current Royal Road.

Also, I felt that AST was actually behind WHM in terms of MP management. I mostly played the easy mode of MP management, SCH, but my experiences with WHM gave me the impression that they just have to be much more careful and were much more vulnerable to wasting MP efficiency to overheals. Conversely, AST has the same MP recovery mechanics as WHM, but with no free heal procs nor the raw potency (both require careful management to utilize, but it works out pretty well when you're the only healer). Sure, there's Ewer I suppose. Have fun relying on Ewer.

And 'dealing with what the RNG gives you'? There's absolutely no thought involved (is it Balance or Arrow? Place on DPS. Is it Bole? Probably chuck it to Royal Road barring an incoming tank buster mechanic or a huge pull. Spear? Wish I knew if their cooldowns were ready to go, which is impossible with duty finder unless you're psychic. Toss on DPS or tank and pray it was actually useful. Spire or Ewer? Chuck to Royal Road unless I'm starting to run on fumes MP-wise for Ewer. Spire might be useful in fights that go longer than anything in the lower level dungeons do) and the sum of the class's unique mechanics is trying to remember to hit the Card Draw button every 30 seconds. Now, I could be wrong and Royal Road may actually be worth it depending on circumstances instead of just using two of the decent card effects (I haven't gone and crunched any numbers in that regard), but that would just present a slight modification to the above mental if-else. The cards are all too broadly applicable or questionably useful to invite any serious wit in their usage.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 26, 2015

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

This would be fun exactly one time. Maybe.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

something done about nocturnal stance (it seems like hot garbage

It's not hot garbage. Nocturnal Stance offers significant single-target burst healing + mitigation. It falters in AoE, naturally, in that to not feel stressed against raid-wide damage you need to preempt with Aspected Helios, but on the other hand you only have to cast it once every 30s if you so choose. Aspected Benefic delivers more raw healing in Nocturnal Stance and is instant-cast, meaning you can frontload healing power by casting Benefic then Aspected Benefic for, IIRC, 390 + (250 * 2) potency healing in one GCD's cast. The only concern you can have from here is a matter of MP, which you should be delighted to know this is rather low footprint on MP compared to using Helios or Aspected Helios in either Sect.

Obligatum VII posted:

Sure, there's Ewer I suppose. Have fun relying on Ewer.

Spear is also assistance to MP management. Ewer/Spear have Spread priority for this reason.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
bad framerate in the gif, but I thought this was amusing :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tarranon posted:

All these monks whining about how purification is useless unconsciously outing themselves as horrible non fracture users

Smgdh

Even using fracture more than I should I still don't need purification in any of the current fights even without a bard. With an AST buffing me I could see it being a problem without a bard or ninja. :shrug:

Boten Anna posted:

It's never really established where player characters are actually from, and that they're some kind of manifestation of the hopes and dreams of the people or something would make sense too

Except you, the MT, the WoL, are someone Louisoix teleported from the battlefield when Bahamut got free?

Opposing Farce posted:

Earlier in the thread somebody was talking about how they thought the post-credits scene was lame but the Ascians have an evil you on the moon and that's exactly the kind of ridiculous, hilarious twist I want to see in Anime MMO and I'm very excited.

My theory is that Trailer Hyur was actually the Warrior of Darkness all along.

Can't be though, because they're very clearly used in things like the opening video of the WoL going to Ishgard with Tataru and Alphinaud. The WoD is just an evil clone of the generic WoL. Maybe that'll change because having an evil clone you to fight would be kinda cool.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

a cat on an apple posted:

Spear is also assistance to MP management. Ewer/Spear have Spread priority for this reason.

True, I forgot Spear+the refresh spell. However, what I was getting at is that you're now dedicating a portion of your buffing resources purely to dealing with your own questionable built in MP management. This is not insignificant. You're reducing your footprint in the one thing that can justify your presence over one of the other healing classes. And although admittedly incredibly unlikely, it's technically possible to be ruined by incredibly unfavorable RNG and I'm of the opinion that RNG should have no say in your basic class functionality (eg. ability to heal), slim though that say may be if you're being careful.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mazed posted:

So I've barely scratched the surface of the MSQ because I've been having a grand time with the new jobs, and though this probably isn't the first time it's been mentioned here, I wanted to pop in and say :lol: HOLY loving poo poo THE DARK KNIGHT QUESTS. :lol:

Your edgy teenage angst? Nope, that's played. Your secret desire for destruction and bloodshed? Naw, that ain't even a secret. :v: (plus WAR's gotcha covered there) That which fuels your ~inner darkness~ is your irritation with the usual bullshit of being an RPG protagonist. Fetch quests, ungrateful comrades, annoying NPCs, filler after filler, and not even a single good line of dialogue? It added up, and you are your own Fight Club-esque trainer. :allears: It's the finest demonstration of medium-awareness that this game has exhibited yet, and it's wonderful. Jesus gently caress I love the way this game embraces itself.

Also it has given me my newest favorite screenshot of sort-of my character.

Aside from the self-parody, there's a genuine poignant side as well. The climactic turn at the level 50 quest takes place where the local NPCs absolutely hated your guts at first, but openly come out to help you fix yourself. Just, drat, Square-Enix. Well played. :golfclap:

Yeah 30-50 DRK shot straight the hell past PGL for my favorite class/job quest series by fifty loving miles. I hope the 50-60 holds up to that high standard.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm only level 52 and the amount of VAs that have changed since 2.55 is seriously super distracting. Hard to stay attached to all these characters when their VAs are so strikingly different.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

True, I forgot Spear+the refresh spell. However, what I was getting at is that you're now dedicating a portion of your buffing resources purely to dealing with your own questionable built in MP management. This is not insignificant. You're reducing your footprint in the one thing that can justify your presence over one of the other healing classes. And although admittedly incredibly unlikely, it's technically possible to be ruined by incredibly unfavorable RNG and I'm of the opinion that RNG should have no say in your basic class functionality (eg. ability to heal), slim though that say may be if you're being careful.

Well, with that said, the few times I've run empty on MP in a fight I feel I can largely attribute to my being unable to keep up with the various facets that make AST work. The huge weakness I feel for AST is AoE healing, in that they haven't many good options without absolutely murdering their MP. At 60, Aspected Helios is a 1326 MP cost, where I have a maximum of 12302. This is actually exactly half the cost of Ascend, which is supposed to have an exorbitant cost. The only fight this feels really bad in, though, is the 3rd boss of The Vault.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
A friend wants to see that cringey fairy macro picture, does someone have it

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Only va change i didn't like was merlwyb, she used to have this kinda gruff chain smoking breathless type of voice that really suited her and now she's fairly generic.

Also, extremely early heavensward spoiler, although i'm at the 57 set of quests now. i swear it seems like the dull crystals aren't being reactivated by anything i do like kill a fuckoff big dragon or save a town, i like to believe they're being reactivated solely because someone near my character just said something sufficiently badass

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Except you, the MT, the WoL, are someone Louisoix teleported from the battlefield when Bahamut got free?

But how did We get to the battlefield? Who are we? Where are we From?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Check those NPCs out after the 3.0 MSQ finishes.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's true if you're playing a character carried forward from 1.0, but fresh 2.0 and on characters are just random adventurers who wandered into Eorzea 'cause they heard there was Adventure to be had. The intro cutscene even changes based on whether your character is a 1.0 import or not.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can't be though, because they're very clearly used in things like the opening video of the WoL going to Ishgard with Tataru and Alphinaud. The WoD is just an evil clone of the generic WoL. Maybe that'll change because having an evil clone you to fight would be kinda cool.
Maybe there's also an evil Tataru and Alphinaud.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I forget, I know LLDR is worth doing for leveling and HLDR isn't, but what about Main Scenario? Do those give enough XP to be worth the time nowadays?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

HLDR and MSDR are the same EXP and are worth doing.

Eej posted:

15-20 minutes for 350k XP at 59 is still pretty good though. Just queue as a full party.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

UglyDucklett posted:

Only va change i didn't like was merlwyb, she used to have this kinda gruff chain smoking breathless type of voice that really suited her and now she's fairly generic.

/gcsalute, discount Jean Gilpin. =(

What the gently caress, it actually WAS Jean Gilpin! Why the gently caress would you recast Jean Gilpin!?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Allagan Empire needs to calm the gently caress down

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Obligatum VII posted:

Also, I felt that AST was actually behind WHM in terms of MP management. I mostly played the easy mode of MP management, SCH, but my experiences with WHM gave me the impression that they just have to be much more careful and were much more vulnerable to wasting MP efficiency to overheals. Conversely, AST has the same MP recovery mechanics as WHM, but with no free heal procs nor the raw potency (both require careful management to utilize, but it works out pretty well when you're the only healer). Sure, there's Ewer I suppose. Have fun relying on Ewer.
If you take a look at MP costs, AST spells cost WAY less than the equivalent WHM spells. They lose ~5% potency for considerably more than 5% of the MP cost. I have been able to just spam the gently caress out of AST spells, and I barely ever have to use their MP refresh outside of extended fights, which is far more than I could ever say of my WHM. I have never had to use the Ewer on myself (though sometimes I do just out of having nobody better to use it on :v: )

Does anyone have any leveling advice for Heavensward content? I started hitting a real wall at the latter end of 55 on my SCH, and I would honestly rather have all of my toenails pulled out than spam leves or something. I have TONS of rested and have been fairly diligently doing sidequests.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Does anyone have any leveling advice for Heavensward content? I started hitting a real wall at the latter end of 55 on my SCH, and I would honestly rather have all of my toenails pulled out than spam leves or something. I have TONS of rested and have been fairly diligently doing sidequests.

Spam dungeons. As a scholar your queues should be short, and dungeons are very good exp when you get a chain bonus (51/53/55/57/59 all have equal level dungeons). Do your roulettes.

When I hit level 57 I took a break from the MSQ and spammed the Vault until I hit 58. Didn't hit a roadblock on the MSQ up until the final quest, and I only needed to do 1 sidequest to earn enough EXP to push me over. If I had to do it again, I would've done the same for every odd-numbered level, just spam the heck out of the dungeon of that level, then go back to the MSQ.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
is anyone here running Black Mage on a controller? If so, what the hell does your hotbar/rotation look like? I have no idea how to stuff all these new Heavensward things into a layout I can keep track of :smith:

(I mean, I never even figured out how the heck to use Flare or Freeze or half my cooldowns, so)

e: alternatively, and this is a serious question, does anyone have any good lapboard suggestions so I can use a keyboard/mouse on my couch

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 26, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh man, I am so digging where this is going. Post Vault (level 57) spoilers:

So the Ishgard 12 Knights are all Primal summoners, eh? So...does this mean...a Knights of the Round battle!? My mind reels.

Spoz
May 25, 2006

re: hunts

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Oh man, I am so digging where this is going. Post Vault (level 57) spoilers:

So the Ishgard 12 Knights are all Primal summoners, eh? So...does this mean...a Knights of the Round battle!? My mind reels.

Level 60 spoiler and answer to this guys question Yes it does, and it is as glorious as you imagine

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

post-Sohm Al spoilers I can't believe they paid off the loving Moogle lore from the Moggle Mog fight!!! aaah that is so goddamn clever

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

is anyone here running Black Mage on a controller? If so, what the hell does your hotbar/rotation look like? I have no idea how to stuff all these new Heavensward things into a layout I can keep track of :smith:

(I mean, I never even figured out how the heck to use Flare or Freeze or half my cooldowns, so)

e: alternatively, and this is a serious question, does anyone have any good lapboard suggestions so I can use a keyboard/mouse on my couch
Please learn to use Flare, Flare is good even post-nerf.

re: Cross hotbars, enable the option in character settings to have RT+LT and LT+RT hotbars, they make all the difference. I keep situational stuff like Blizzard II and Scathe on one, and CDs (Quelling/Raging, etc.) on another (with a little hotbar off to the side to keep track of when they're up).

You...get good at cross hotbars when you play SCH and SMN on a controller. :shepface:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
does anyone else really hope that mystery airship people keep posting pictures of is the Warship from FFII

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

re: Cross hotbars, enable the option in character settings to have RT+LT and LT+RT hotbars, they make all the difference. I keep situational stuff like Blizzard II and Scathe on one, and CDs (Quelling/Raging, etc.) on another (with a little hotbar off to the side to keep track of when they're up).

Ah, that side hotbar seems clever. I worry that I don't have the screen real estate for it on my TV, but I'll try shrinking some things and seeing if I can still actually make anything out.

There's a good chance I'll give up soon and just move my gaming PC back to my desk, honestly. Then I get the fun of relearning how to use three hotbars on a keyboard :shepface:

Also, uh... how do you use Flare most of the time? Seems like it's something you'd only use in an AOE rotation.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Switch to SMN and murder your sidequests then swap back to SCH for super short queues to farm dungeons? I just punched things until they stopped moving unless they threw :words: and EXP at me for collecting punching bear asses and whatnot.

What do you mean by a wall? At 55 you shouldn't be running out of sidequests unless you run each dungeon once and ignore daily roulette bonuses for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Please learn to use Flare, Flare is good even post-nerf.

good for aoe packs only and very few very specific situations in real fights (you a) can't use fire 4 b) don't have a better use for swiftcast c) are going to be not casting anything for a while)

• Locked thread