Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Trapezound posted:

On the topic of pedestrian overpass spider-death:

I just discovered these and I'm in love. Stair technology!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=434623907
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=438358180
Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Voyager I posted:

Your posts are a disaster.

:ironicat:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there any kind of notification for when a city service catches on fire? I had a hospital burn to the ground and had no idea until my health rating suddenly went in the shitter.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

MikeJF posted:

I'm still disappointed that nobody's made this unique building:

I'm gonna have to learn sketchup, aren't I.

Might look into it, but i'm more into the SC4 mayors house.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Fishbus posted:

Might look into it, but i'm more into the SC4 mayors house.

Skylines is the most realistic city simulator because it doesn't assume the mayor lives in the loving White House.

Like a true god you never leave the sky.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Curvature of Earth posted:

Skylines is the most realistic city simulator because it doesn't assume the mayor lives in the loving White House.

Like a true god you never leave the sky.

The most realistic city simulator is one where the city is barely functional and any attempts to change the roads or add public transportation is met with billionaires complaining that their neighborhoods are getting crowded with filthy millionaires, those goddamn peon scum.

On a tangential note, does anyone recommend a map of the Bay Area so that I can pretend to fix it? Or ruin it for sadistic pleasure?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

On a tangential note, does anyone recommend a map of the Bay Area so that I can pretend to fix it? Or ruin it for sadistic pleasure?

Which Bay Area?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=405973971
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408561493
San Francisco?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=444767136
Oakland?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414935405
Or something more east coast?

And prebuilt or blank?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I built so many water intakes in one spot that it gradually reversed the flow of the river, and I didn't notice until I saw the sewage water flowing in both directions from their outlets. I've swapped out all the raw sewage stuff for water treatment plants, but I fear a plague may break out before all the old sewage dissipates.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Immediately turn off your existing pumps and connect a new group in a farther-away, safe area?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm sure there's some examples of well balanced water systems in custom maps but the safe play is water towers because that aspect of map making can be counter intuitive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well the problem is the game doesn't handle flow in an easy to interpret manner.. especially when you get down to sea level where water has a tendency to idle.

You can't really do any dramatic elevation changes without the simulation going bonkers so most rivers are extremely shallow slopes and this makes it easy for pumps to reverse the flow.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just figured out that when it comes to planning a city, especially road layout, I have no imagination. :( I just go with square or rectangle shaped blocks.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

BigRed0427 posted:

I just figured out that when it comes to planning a city, especially road layout, I have no imagination. :( I just go with square or rectangle shaped blocks.

I did the same thing too. Give it some more cities and you'll find that once you make a pleasant district with winding roads that still maximize zoning, you try some more poo poo.

It took me this game to finally figure out how to loving make highways. They were rocket science to me in the Sim City games, I just ended up making a half assed tunnel in the middle of nowhere that cost me several thousand simoleons.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

The best things I've found that help with that are to lay roads along any shorelines or river fronts first, so that you have a clear squiggly line to work off of. It also helps if you try to build your city as several smaller settlements that eventually grow into each other-- when I have the money and space, I build an entirely disconnected block off in some untouched land, lay down essentials there, and then connect it back to whatever hub/metropolis/urban monstrosity I got going on elsewhere. Even if the new bit is just a square and I drew a straight line from it to Gridtopia, I probably didn't managed to make the new suburb's streets run perfectly parallel to Megagridton when I drew it out, so there's gonna be some jankiness there in the long run.

Or, most simply of all, always use the free-form road tool. It'll get janky eventually that way.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Sometimes it helps to have a prebuilt starter city to break up grids. It forces you to bulldoze sections to fix things. Or change up the layout, because you've got money and the city is already built but "badly".

I learned to do that with the one by SonOfADiddy on the workshop. Just search for starter on the save games section.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I just ended up making a half assed tunnel in the middle of nowhere that cost me several thousand simoleons.

Tunnels to nowhere? Hundreds of thousands of wasted dollars?
Most realistic city sim 2015.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bel Monte posted:

Sometimes it helps to have a prebuilt starter city to break up grids. It forces you to bulldoze sections to fix things. Or change up the layout, because you've got money and the city is already built but "badly".

I learned to do that with the one by SonOfADiddy on the workshop. Just search for starter on the save games section.

Tunnels to nowhere? Hundreds of thousands of wasted dollars?
Most realistic city sim 2015.

Making a bad city that needs a lot of tweaking and restructuring is the easiest thing in the world. I've played SimCity that way for years. Just slap stuff around at random, barely paying attention to what you're doing, for a half hour and you'll have a sizable but dysfunctional city that you can then have fun fixing.

Works for me :shrug:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

BigRed0427 posted:

Another thing to try as an intermediate non-grid step is, make some fairly large sections (Say, maybe ... 50-60 squares large) by plopping down six-lane roads that are crooked/curved/diagonal/follow the terrain/whatever, then fill them in later with grid-ish 2 lane roads.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I really want to make a DC/Paris style city at some point. Grand avenues radiating at different angles from important landmarks, imposed on a grid of smaller streets.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

VostokProgram posted:

I really want to make a DC/Paris style city at some point. Grand avenues radiating at different angles from important landmarks, imposed on a grid of smaller streets.

That's pretty much how I design my cities, except that beyond natural landmarks I basically just make up where a landmark might go and whack it in later.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For some reason the 2 starer highway lanes mess me up. I'm never really sure what to do with them, so I just merge both of them into a 6 lane road and draw that through my city. I really freak out about that for some reason.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Use this every time

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=449834343

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Too bad that road type isn't unlocked at the start...

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Had a bit of a break with the game and surprisingly my city from the previous batch loaded just fine with all the assets and stuff intact. Not going to retrofit tunnels here, so I'm going to call this one done.

Proper highway network and interchanges keep traffic in control. Good public transport helps too.

Industrial zones are spread over the area, with this being the largest one:

Given the size of the city, there's always some construction work going on:

Farming communities thrive on the outskirts of the city:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Friction posted:

Had a bit of a break with the game and surprisingly my city from the previous batch loaded just fine with all the assets and stuff intact. Not going to retrofit tunnels here, so I'm going to call this one done.

That is amazing, the attention to detail and the roads. They are perfect.

You have won the game.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Friction posted:

Those agricultural districts! Mine always end up looking like garbage because I try to arrange them into blocks.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Friction posted:

Oh that is nice.

Are there any more big content patches on the horizon? I'm pretty content with the tunnels and the mod scene is pretty healthy but I'm wondering what they'll do next.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Dang, look how close those opposing onramps are. They look perfectly contoured AND have space for buildings inside. Your drawing skills are like a hand-crafted Alden shoe vs my cheapo Florsheim.

Are you an architectural draftsperson or something?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Friction posted:

That city is beautiful. Bravo.

Unfortunately all of mine end up looking like garbage :smith:

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
How does one go about uploading a save game to the workshop? I tend to make semi intricate layouts before zoning. I'll build clear districts but not zone it then save it as a template. If I upload these to the workshop will people need to have the same mod layout I have? I'm subscribed to maybe 15 things. Mostly assets and growables, and precision engineering, fine road heights, and road color changer to name a few. No traffic++.

This last one I've made is really nice looking so I'd like to share it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you go to the content manager at the main menu, find your save, there should be a little checkbox or something to send it to the workshop.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Just started this and am enjoying it, I still feel like it's missing an coolness that SimCity 4 had.

My question is, I got a little bit of a large body of water at the edge of my plot, so I put both a sewage thing and a water thing on it but obviously separate. The sewage eventually ended up flooding the whole water from the shore to the edge of the plot and the water pump became unusable. I was really looking for the water going "downstream" but it's not a river... what can I do about this.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kraps posted:

Just started this and am enjoying it, I still feel like it's missing an coolness that SimCity 4 had.

My question is, I got a little bit of a large body of water at the edge of my plot, so I put both a sewage thing and a water thing on it but obviously separate. The sewage eventually ended up flooding the whole water from the shore to the edge of the plot and the water pump became unusable. I was really looking for the water going "downstream" but it's not a river... what can I do about this.

We would have to see the map to tell you specifically, but
If there's just like a big lake and nothing else, then you'll have to use water towers for all your water, and just pollute the hell out of that lake. Usually there's an actual river someplace, though, and you might just have to extend a huge sewage pipeline out to it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How does one set up a distant mining colony (or forestry or oil)? I thought that connecting the remote location with a rail station would allow workers to go from the city to the colony but that doesn't appear to be the case...

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

double nine posted:

How does one set up a distant mining colony (or forestry or oil)? I thought that connecting the remote location with a rail station would allow workers to go from the city to the colony but that doesn't appear to be the case...

It may take a while for the simulation to catch up to it. Assuming that it having 100% of transportation handled by rail (a transit station and a cargo depot) will work at all, the Cims will take a while to plot a route from their homes to the industrial colony that leads them all to the outgoing train station in the main city.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

double nine posted:

It works eventually.

Workers seem to have a strong preference to work close to home though, so your distant colony will be the absolute last place people from your main city will work. So you'll have a lot of empty buildings out there unless you've got a healthy excess of unemployment.

That said, building a nearby town should help in that case. Those people will strongly prefer to work at the local mines than commute all the way into the city, no matter how educated they are. And they'll be quite educated, incidentally. Even if they physically can't get to school.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Eiba posted:

It works eventually.

Workers seem to have a strong preference to work close to home though, so your distant colony will be the absolute last place people from your main city will work. So you'll have a lot of empty buildings out there unless you've got a healthy excess of unemployment.

That said, building a nearby town should help in that case. Those people will strongly prefer to work at the local mines than commute all the way into the city, no matter how educated they are. And they'll be quite educated, incidentally. Even if they physically can't get to school.

Online classes :v:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

ModestMuse posted:

Too bad that road type isn't unlocked at the start...

Heh, use that and all roads unlocker :mrgw:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Okay, when it comes to employment/unemployment, what's a good balance to strike? So far I seem to hover around 95% unemployment most of the time (also is there a way to see these stats without pausing the game? It's a little weird to hit escape to get those stats)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

double nine posted:

Okay, when it comes to employment/unemployment, what's a good balance to strike? So far I seem to hover around 95% unemployment most of the time (also is there a way to see these stats without pausing the game? It's a little weird to hit escape to get those stats)
I hope that number is wrong. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think around 10-15% is safe when you're expanding, but once everyone is settled into jobs and no places are complaining 5% or so is fine. But good to keep it high. 95% seem.. impossibly high.