Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Bufuman posted:

So, is there any reason to consider doing a Fiesta run on the iOS version? I got it for that purpose (and because it was on sale), but after a bit, I decided that I miss fast forward too much, so unless there's a bonus to playing iOS instead, I'll be sticking with the GBA version on VBA.

Geomancer are crazy good in iOS. They can use all the spells of an area regardless of level, making a lot of random encounters ridiculously easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Figuring out how to do two damage to something with three health is part in the hilarious fun! :science:

Excalipoor?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Reminder that you can easily run from like 90% of random encounters in the game.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Time for my #regchaos #water job! I got... Ranger. Guess it's Blue Mages only until Crescent. Oh well, could be worse. Could've gotten one of the Wind physical jobs and have had to do Byblos with an all-physical team again. But with Blue Mage I can just Goblin Punch him in the face if I happen to be level 24, and just break Fire Rods otherwise.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Bufuman posted:

So, is there any reason to consider doing a Fiesta run on the iOS version? I got it for that purpose (and because it was on sale), but after a bit, I decided that I miss fast forward too much, so unless there's a bonus to playing iOS instead, I'll be sticking with the GBA version on VBA.

It generally looks worse, has most of the exploits fixed, and plays worse. The only reason is if you're on the go that much.

Rickraw
Nov 1, 2007

Wasn't too bad, once I was able to dancing dagger confuse onto a monster, to teach me White Wind. Up until then, this was quite tough.

(+One more for Mega64)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bufuman posted:

Time for my #regchaos #water job! I got... Ranger. Guess it's Blue Mages only until Crescent. Oh well, could be worse. Could've gotten one of the Wind physical jobs and have had to do Byblos with an all-physical team again. But with Blue Mage I can just Goblin Punch him in the face if I happen to be level 24, and just break Fire Rods otherwise.

If you learn Death Claw in Karnak Castle (which you really should), you can take him out in two moves. Blue Mage is goddamn ridiculous.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, my team is Thief, Black Mage, Geomancer, and Chemist. I'm thinking of taking on Omega and Shinryu. Is it possible with this setup?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

thetoughestbean posted:

So, my team is Thief, Black Mage, Geomancer, and Chemist. I'm thinking of taking on Omega and Shinryu. Is it possible with this setup?

You have a chemist, so yes. Chemist is the most broken poo poo. Some dude soloed both Omega and Shinryu with a chemist.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FairGame posted:

Tips for Gilgamesh on Big Bridge? Knight/Zerker/Beastmaster/Dancer.

I easily get to him buffing the hell out of himself, but then he spams jump until I die.

Coverguarding stops everything in his second form except for Electrocute, I believe.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

djw175 posted:

You have a chemist, so yes. Chemist is the most broken poo poo. Some dude soloed both Omega and Shinryu with a chemist.

Awesome

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

At least it's not another Berserker. But I'm guessing no Omega this year?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Doom Goon posted:

At least it's not another Berserker. But I'm guessing no Omega this year?

Not unless you want to spend some time grinding levels and banking on Omega not spamming Encircle too much. Thanks to Berserkers ignoring defense and !Jump ignoring evasion, it's not impossible, just very, very tedious.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

This run just got real. :stonk:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Lovely Senorita posted:

This run just got real. :stonk:

Just throw money at the problem.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

:getin:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Get lucky with the RNG. If you're using the patch to unlock all your jobs at the start, try slapping Equip Harps on the berserkers and Equip Axes on the bards. Otherwise, just level up and keep trying. Byblos is a prick to teams like that.
I've got Equip Harps on the zerkers (they'd be unusably slow otherwise), but Equip Axes is unfortunately still locked behind about 350 AP. I like to believe I won't need to grind to that point to brute force him. :arghfist::v:

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

FairGame posted:

Tips for Gilgamesh on Big Bridge? Knight/Zerker/Beastmaster/Dancer.

I easily get to him buffing the hell out of himself, but then he spams jump until I die.

Most important tip - Enjoy the excellent music! Clash on the Big Bridge is pretty awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Most important tip - Enjoy the excellent music! Clash on the Big Bridge is pretty awesome.

It's probably the best Final Fantasy track. I was so surprised when Final Fantasy 9 used it so prominently in its last boss medley.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I didn't think it'd give me such a broken party my first time doing the fiesta.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I'm coming up on the end of world 2. I've got a good time (White Mage/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Samurai), but I'm kinda nervous about Exdeath and I wouldn't mind some advice.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

:smith:

Maybe it's because FFV is generally such an upbeat little game, but this scene got to me.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Bad Seafood posted:

:smith:

Maybe it's because FFV is generally such an upbeat little game, but this scene got to me.

Pretty much all the sad moments are like that. When playing the game normally (i.e. not on fast-forward through all cutscenes) I almost always shed a few tears at Galuf's death scene.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

thetoughestbean posted:

with minimal farming chemists make the game mechanics cry in the corner.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Team Blue Mage just hit level 19 near the end of the Fire Ship.

Anyone care to guess what level Liquid Flame is? :getin:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Team Blue Mage just hit level 19 near the end of the Fire Ship.

Anyone care to guess what level Liquid Flame is? :getin:

Team blue mage is the best team.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
OK, guess I can tweet for my Fire job now. Tentative team is Blue Mage, Ranger, and... Ranger?

...Oh boy.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Alabaster White posted:

Don't forget, the bottom Almagest part is vulnerable to Stone. If you have Break Blade or equivalent you can one shot it, and if you get really lucky, you can reflect the Delta Attacks onto it.

I take it the Wonder Wand wouldn't get the job done, or somebody would have mentioned it?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mustard Iceman posted:

I take it the Wonder Wand wouldn't get the job done, or somebody would have mentioned it?

It has a very high magic evade, so the Wonder Wand (or casting Break) is pretty unreliable. It can work, but it has a 66% base magic evade, is level 87 so add one for each level you're not, and then Break only works 75% of the time even if it passes that.

Break Blade uses a physical hit check and Delta Attack doesn't even roll to hit, though it does check for the Aegis Shield, so they're fine.

Prism fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 26, 2015

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Run 2 - Chaos - Geomancer / Ranger / Samurai / Chemist

I'm probably late to the Fartz party, but this run was way more boring than I expected it to be when I saw my class spread. Ranger takes a pretty long time to get really good. Samurai was nice out of the gate, at least. True to form, Geomancer more or less carried me through the midgame, and Ranger more or less carried me through the late game, I guess to make up for how lovely Geomancer got. Neo-Exdeath was accomplished with !Mix !Zeninage !Zeninage !Mix. NED dies really fast to coins, as usual.

Most of the early game was cake. Freelancers are really strong in world 1, between rod breaking and getting the free weapons in Tycoon, and I really only had to deal with a lovely party for the library, though it made Ifrit an interesting roadblock. The only option for an all Geomancer party on Ifrit is to beat him to death. !Gaia will just heal him nonstop. Ranger/Geomancer wasn't all that great early on but it wasn't the worst party I've ever had to suffer through Soul Cannon and Ronka on.

edit: Because, gently caress it, why not:

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 26, 2015

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Trying to beat Byblos with 4 Beastmasters. The guide I'm looking at suggests going back to catch turtles, then releasing them on page 256 to weaken them enough to catch them before they use Moon Flute, which sounds pretty bloody irritating. Short of that, anything else I should look out for?

e: just noticed the page 32 catching tip on the last page, I'll give that a shot...
e: rip byblos

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 26, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Idioteque Dance posted:

Trying to beat Byblos with 4 Beastmasters. The guide I'm looking at suggests going back to catch turtles, then releasing them on page 256 to weaken them enough to catch them before they use Moon Flute, which sounds pretty bloody irritating. Short of that, anything else I should look out for?

e: just noticed the page 32 catching tip on the last page, I'll give that a shot...

Either use a Page 32 or just stun lock him with whips, since he's not heavy and susceptible to Paralyze.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Got Thief/Blue Mage/Bard/Ranger. Honestly the last one's kinda gravy, since I can smack around anything with enough blue magic and songs (not to mention rods), but regardless it's a better set than last time.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Oh man how do you beat Adamantoise with four bards. It's immune to my status effects, I'm doing like 20 damage a stab and it kills me in two hits.

It's not technically heavy, so should I try harps?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wiped to a ShieldDragon in the Sealed Castle. Which, if memory serves, I always do because I forget that I can't go there yet.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Finally finished my first run, which will probably be my only Natural Run ever. Why did I do Natural for my first time? :negative:

Also the first time I've ever beaten the game at all. So there's that. I'll probably have to wait till tomorrow for my victory to get registered, then I'll go for a normal or random run probably.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So help me god

if I get Geomancer or Berserker at water I'm going to throw something valuable through something more valuable

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Hi5 lovely gilgabot rolls buddies.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

neongrey posted:

Hi5 lovely gilgabot rolls buddies.

Blue Mage is not a lovely gilgabot roll :colbert: Your other crap teammates are basically penance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Looking for Advice, even if it is just give up.

Any Tips for Zerk/Zerk/Summoner/Ranger for Omega?

Trying to sustain through his damage seems to be impossible and I can't damage race him as a lone ranger with RapidFire isn't enough.

I've been using Flame Shields on the Zerkers for toughness as well as reflect rings on the other two. Its those encircles procs that kill me once one of my two action guys goes out its finished.

• Locked thread