Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Harime Nui posted:

So far it seems, we're going towards a situation where Allison will end up having to rescue Furnace, but I guess we'll see.

e: One thing that bothers me about the newest update (which is otherwise a big improvement on the bloviating Patrick scene)-------"I watched my friends die." Wah? Huh?? Weren't we told that the superheroes destroyed organized crime without much in the way of opposition? Inferno might be referring to a tour of duty in the military but ennhh. That feels like a lot to drop in an inbetweener line.

Sonar talked about how without defensive abilities people with powers were still vulnerable to bullets and a lot of crime fighters died fighting regular criminals since superheroes had virtually no restraint when combating them so the crooks would go lethal almost immediatly since that was their only hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
What if she can only fly for, say, an hour at a time? And what if she discovers this while 30,000 feet up? She almost certainly wouldn't be injured by the fall, but whatever she crashed into would be demolished utterly.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
It would depend on what she hit, too. She's not super massive or anything. Unless the story needs her to be because Comics or something.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tim_Buckley_ham_hands_compilation.jpg

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

This is an incredibly specific documentary segment for Allison to just stumble onto. And I don't understand the use of putting this clunky motive dump in the story right here.

If it's for the audience's benefit, we already know Mary is targeting rapists. It's not like this is some subtle clue that'll finally reveal who the killer is.

If it's so Allison knows why Mary is killing people, it's redundant. The structure of this arc is that Allison encounters different worldviews through tortuously long conversations, so Mary's reasoning will almost certainly be rehashed when they two women finally meet. And that's assuming Allison even remembers some random blurb that was on TV when she finally tracks Moonshadow down.

I'm almost tempted to think it's a red herring, but after all that Patrick stuff I feel like the comic is way to shallow to have things be anything other than exactly what they appear to be.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Uh, we already know why Mary is killing people and it's not because she thinks it'll fix contemporary American culture. Remember the starfish speech?

This baboon thing is real though. I could see Mary knowing about it and finding it interesting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Galvanik posted:

This is an incredibly specific documentary segment for Allison to just stumble onto.

Maybe Mary leaves her favourite documentary on a loop to cover her absence.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mary's illusion will now give a monologue that takes weeks to cover and be inconsistent with previous characterization.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So we know how she was able to kill people while the government thought she was at home. We also now know the government (secretly?) monitors superpeople.

Smart move for Allison would be to record her passing her hand through the illusion and going straight to her doctor/confidant.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Gorilla Salad posted:

So we know how she was able to kill people while the government thought she was at home. We also now know the government (secretly?) monitors superpeople.

Smart move for Allison would be to record her passing her hand through the illusion and going straight to her doctor/confidant.

She ought to save the only relatable character left in the series instead.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Her dad?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The possum family.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

She ought to save the only relatable character left in the series instead.

That british guy isn't in this chapter though?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I don't think the current pacing works with a twice a week comic.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Well, at least there was a lot of movement in this comic. We go straight to Allison investigating the mystery room.

With luck the next page will show us what is inside as opposed to a dramatic door opening.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Atmus posted:

It would depend on what she hit, too. She's not super massive or anything. Unless the story needs her to be because Comics or something.

She doesn't have to be. Alison's not heavy, but I'd imagine her invulnerability would count for the same as being a dense enough mass to resist atmospheric friction, which means she's theoretically the same as a kinetic orbital strike.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It also depends a lot on how she;s propelled. She doesn't have to be massive to damage a plane (or a building) if she's an irresistible force. Hell, she doesn't have to be moving at all, as long as what holds her up holds her where she is regardless of the forces acting on her.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Only if she really wants to arrest Moonshadow. I am not convinced she does.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
E: Wrong thread

Jackard fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 1, 2015

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Wanderer posted:

She doesn't have to be. Alison's not heavy, but I'd imagine her invulnerability would count for the same as being a dense enough mass to resist atmospheric friction, which means she's theoretically the same as a kinetic orbital strike.

Maybe because lol comics, but 'realistically' she's still only like 130lbs with the same terminal velocity as any other person of the same size and weight. She'd get up and walk away from it, but she shouldn't do any more damage than someone that fell out of a plane would. Invincibility shouldn't affect aerodynamics or gravitational acceleration, so she shouldn't be able to break 120-130mph unpropelled.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

tonberrytoby posted:

Only if she really wants to arrest Moonshadow. I am not convinced she does.

True. She did turn a blind eye to a mass murdering psychopath.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Atmus posted:

Maybe because lol comics, but 'realistically' she's still only like 130lbs with the same terminal velocity as any other person of the same size and weight. She'd get up and walk away from it, but she shouldn't do any more damage than someone that fell out of a plane would. Invincibility shouldn't affect aerodynamics or gravitational acceleration, so she shouldn't be able to break 120-130mph unpropelled.

The problem isn't aerodynamics or gravity, the problem is her invincibility. When a person falls out of a plane and hits the ground, the shock of impact is absorbed by their body. Allison is invincible, so all the shock of the impact is transferred outwards. Look at what happens when she jumps out of a first-story window. Now imagine that at terminal velocity. She won't be nuking any cities, but she'll gently caress some building's day up.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Atmus posted:

the first time she did a big jump as a Teen she made a crater

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Bravo posted:

The problem isn't aerodynamics or gravity, the problem is her invincibility. When a person falls out of a plane and hits the ground, the shock of impact is absorbed by their body. Allison is invincible, so all the shock of the impact is transferred outwards. Look at what happens when she jumps out of a first-story window. Now imagine that at terminal velocity. She won't be nuking any cities, but she'll gently caress some building's day up.

Pretty sure she just punched a hole in the side of the building there.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Or at least threw a guy through it. I dunno, the art is low-detail enough that she could just be walking through landscaping/drainage features.

Captain Bravo posted:

A regular body doesn't absorb the energy of the fall. It is deformed by it, and spreads it out some, but all that force still goes to whatever it hit. Mega-Girl does (Well, Did.) the same thing, only with less splatter. I guess she could do more damage if she were intentionally cannonballing when she hit, but a steel rod of the same impact footprint, mass, and speed would probably do more. Outside of a comic book setting, anyway.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Atmus posted:

Or at least threw a guy through it. I dunno, the art is low-detail enough that she could just be walking through landscaping/drainage features.
She punched a guy through a window, we later see Feral crawl through it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Ok guys, I'm not talking about the window she punched a guy through then jumped out, I'm talking about the small crater she's standing in after she hits the ground from jumping out the window she punched a guy through. I didn't think that needed to be specifically pointed out, but I guess I underestimated the :spergin: in this thread.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Not much else to talk about as of late.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

This is a pile of pages that are telling us things that we already know: Mary is the killer, and she can create illusions. These pages are very well executed otherwise, and if we hadn't already seen Mary explicitly shown murdering those ex-military dudes they would be hitting way harder.

This series is in bad need of an editor, it seems to have lost its stride.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
In the latest comic, is that a satellite picture of a dam in the second last panel?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I think the purpose of the last three pages is really just to get Alison from point A to point B, where point A is "having no loving idea where Moonshadow is" and point B is "potentially punching her in the face". Overall they're fairly economical. She's found the secret lair with some kind of map which presumably shows where she is and a bunch of evidence showing she's the killer; we could cut right there as soon as the next page, although it might be one or two more depending.

And yeah, looks like a dam to me.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

A damfull of water could probably kill a man of fire.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So wait, she's been killing dudes around the country? All that travel is expensive and time consuming. You'd think that somebody would notice all of that.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Uhh... she is invisible. She can just walk onto a plane and take an empty seat or stand around somewhere out of the way.

Edit: Plus, as we've just seen, she has a decoy rigged in her apartment so it seems like she's there all the time.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SlothfulCobra posted:

So wait, she's been killing dudes around the country? All that travel is expensive and time consuming. You'd think that somebody would notice all of that.

If I could turn invisible I wouldn't pay for plane tickets.

If I could turn invisible I wouldn't pay for much, honestly.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The next 5 strips are going to be the 5 pages of Moonshadow's written manifesto that Allison finds in lieu of a spoken monologue. No drawings except the edges of the paper, just 5 straight strips of pure text.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Atmus posted:

A regular body doesn't absorb the energy of the fall. It is deformed by it, and spreads it out some, but all that force still goes to whatever it hit. Mega-Girl does (Well, Did.) the same thing, only with less splatter. I guess she could do more damage if she were intentionally cannonballing when she hit, but a steel rod of the same impact footprint, mass, and speed would probably do more. Outside of a comic book setting, anyway.

For all purposes related to the discussion, she is a 130-pound metal rod.

It's an interesting thought experiment. We've seen that Alison's brand of invulnerability is sheer damage resistance through tissue density, rather than a post-Crisis Superman-style force field. You fire a bullet at her and it simply fails to penetrate. She doesn't appear to feel pain from such things, either; there's a bit towards the end of the arc with Feral where she's on fire and doesn't seem to notice.

Thus, if she's moving at terminal velocity, she isn't going to deform or break the way that most other terrestrial objects would. She's effectively an armor-piercing round, and depending on the site she hit I could see her having a real problem getting back out of her impact crater.

At the same time, if Alison was up high enough before she dropped, she's going to develop a heat envelope through atmospheric friction and have a lot of compressed air in front of her ("ram pressure"). The last time I checked, the leading theory on the Tunguska event was that a 30-foot-diameter asteroid hit Earth's atmosphere, but broke up before it hit the ground, and the explosion was the release of all that heat and air. Alison's not as big, but if she could produce even a measurable fraction of that impact, she's now essentially a nuclear power.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Doesn't orbital velocity account for a fair bit (read: most) of the kinetic energy that goes in to the hypothetical "rods from god"? So it wouldn't be enough to just fly really high. She'd have to actually go into orbit, then dive down again without slowing down.

Her new flight power is pretty cool, but it doesn't quite come across as "go 27600 km/h"-cool enough to reach orbital velocity. She's still missing an S from the FISS package.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 5, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Incredibly dumb thing I can't believe I just noticed in the large centre panel in the current comic. Light bulbs do not work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Incredibly dumb thing I can't believe I just noticed in the large centre panel in the current comic. Light bulbs do not work that way.

Er, yeah they do. Have you never been in a room with a single too weak light bulb? It'll only fully light a small area around it, and the rest of the room will be in shadow. The comic is simplifying that to only two light levels when in reality i would be more of a gradient, but I'm not seeing how that simplification is weird or wrong.

• Locked thread