Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Had to rewatch avengers 2 recently and now think that film is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

Had to rewatch avengers 2 recently and now think that film is garbage

i determined this from this fact from the title. the trailer was also useful evidence

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
snyder's music choices are so on-the-nose that they loop around to being good

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
watchmen was prolly better than most or all of the comic book movies i've seen in the past half decade or so and that's not really an endorsement.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Exclamation Marx posted:

snyder's music choices are so on-the-nose that they loop around to being good

For the most part it's Moore's music choices and not Snyder's.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Another terror attack in France. No doubt this will lead to another civilized forums debate!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Disinterested posted:

Another terror attack in France. No doubt this will lead to another civilized forums debate!

i loving hate everything

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

christ the FN is going to milk this for all it's worth

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

All the limited data seems to indicate that even though France has a vast Muslim population, it also has the most secularised one in Europe. It's a really odd one for the French.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Disinterested posted:

Another terror attack in France.
oh no :(

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

All the limited data seems to indicate that even though France has a vast Muslim population, it also has the most secularised one in Europe. It's a really odd one for the French.

i think this has a lot to do with the rather unique way French society deals with religion, i.e. it is strictly a private matter and should be kept as far out of politics as possible

as a muslim immigrant, if you try to fit in, you secularise. if you want to stand out, you radicalise

certainly all the muslims i knew in France were really chill about it, but there's always a backlash when a state tries to impose a system of values on its population, no matter how benign those values are

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
you don't need muslims for terror attacks. america is so sophisticated in our getting attacked by terrorists they occur because of not getting laid, momma issues, watching fox news.

i mean poo poo this latest attack in france is apparently a beheading and some pipe bombs. a virginia tech student beheaded another student in public but they were chinese so it didn't count as terrorism

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Berke Negri posted:

all these women on twitch have really expensive looking "gamer" chairs

Leaders require particular chairs and particular fuels" so that they can continue to game and when you need something then thay is a responsibility.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
wait sorry i forgot the most blatant acts of terrorism arent terrorism when they're committed by non muslims

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

i think this has a lot to do with the rather unique way French society deals with religion, i.e. it is strictly a private matter and should be kept as far out of politics as possible

as a muslim immigrant, if you try to fit in, you secularise. if you want to stand out, you radicalise

certainly all the muslims i knew in France were really chill about it, but there's always a backlash when a state tries to impose a system of values on its population, no matter how benign those values are

Yeah. France is the only country that always went for and has continued to hammer away at the leitkultur idea, and I think it's very good in some ways but also very limiting.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jagchosis posted:

you don't need muslims for terror attacks. america is so sophisticated in our getting attacked by terrorists they occur because of not getting laid, momma issues, watching fox news.

i mean poo poo this latest attack in france is apparently a beheading and some pipe bombs. a virginia tech student beheaded another student in public but they were chinese so it didn't count as terrorism

apparently they've found a jihadi symbol on the apprehended person

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 26, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Jagchosis posted:

So issues with women and conservative worldviews? Sounds about the same to me.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

apparently they've found jihadi symbol with the apprehended person

yeah but in the american ~episteme~ a guy who jacked his tiny white piece of poo poo cock with a confederate flag wasn't a terrorist, nor was a pair of murderous white scumbags that murdered a pig and draped in him in the modern symbol of white supremacist resistance; the gadsden flag

it is literally only terrorism if it's muslim

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
if nidal hassan was nate fuckworth it would have been a work place shooting, guy just done gone postal

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
:(

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

yeah but in the american ~episteme~ a guy who jacked his tiny white piece of poo poo cock with a confederate flag wasn't a terrorist, nor was a pair of murderous white scumbags that murdered a pig and draped in him in the modern symbol of white supremacist resistance; the gadsden flag

it is literally only terrorism if it's muslim

Well Europe has had a lot of separatist terror and a bit of right and left wing terror over the years, our definitions are necessarily quite expansive.

Though I guess so have you guys, but the problem I think was everyone in power was too afraid of a dis-unifying rhetoric w/r/t the south or idk what.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you had the weathermen etc didn't you? also the unabomber

i mean, it's possible that the term "terrorist" has changed meaning but i'm p. sure those were and are considered terrorists by the US at large

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i dunno it may be different for me since the only real terrorist attack in my country ever was done by basically a fascist

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

i dunno it may be different for me since the only real terrorist attack on my country ever was done by basically a fascist

And we had a long time getting used to the IRA who are left wing separatists. Also having been at war in Europe and been bombed which erodes the sense that you live in an untouchable fortress beyond the seas. You don't imagine yourself as virginal.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

At least it seems like we're going to help relocate boat migrants after the Italians apparently fumed with rage in the EU summit.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

you had the weathermen etc didn't you? also the unabomber

i mean, it's possible that the term "terrorist" has changed meaning but i'm p. sure those were and are considered terrorists by the US at large

yeah commies and right wing murderers were terrorists before 9/11, post 9/11 it became as islamic of a term as haraam

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Disinterested posted:

At least it seems like we're going to help relocate boat migrants after the Italians apparently fumed with rage in the EU summit.

in a matter that pisses off libya because of a violation of the sovereignty it barely has so still p problematic

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

when the italians are the righteous ones it's time to re-evaluate your priorities

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

when the italians are the righteous ones it's time to re-evaluate your priorities

I mean, you're assuming they're doing it because they care and not because they don't want the lion's share of dark people.

Jagchosis posted:

in a matter that pisses off libya because of a violation of the sovereignty it barely has so still p problematic

I don't think anyone in Europe gives a poo poo about the Libyan government, it's just a question of who takes how many migrants probably. In the end they'll all wind up in Germany and the UK though, that's pretty much how it usually goes.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Disinterested posted:

I don't think anyone in Europe gives a poo poo about the Libyan government, it's just a question of who takes how many migrants probably. In the end they'll all wind up in Germany and the UK though, that's pretty much how it usually goes.
well the eu has launched a military operation a few days ago to crack down on migrant smugglers, but the initial phase is focused on intelligence collection and protection of migrants in the case of ship wrecks. i think the deaths of thousands became too hard to ignore. most of the migrants aren't libyans anyway, they're mostly other north and sub saharan africans that are taking advantage of the security situation in libya to get the gently caress out of africa

edit: misread it. re:libyan government yeah they certainly don't but the government and libyan dawn have vowed to fire on any european military ships in its territorial waters unless they assent so maybe europe should

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

well the eu has launched a military operation a few days ago to crack down on migrant smugglers, but the initial phase is focused on intelligence collection and protection of migrants in the case of ship wrecks. i think the deaths of thousands became too hard to ignore. most of the migrants aren't libyans anyway, they're mostly other north and sub saharan africans that are taking advantage of the security situation in libya to get the gently caress out of africa

We definitely have to do *something* in Libya just because the journeys the migrants are making are inherently perilous. Even with vessels from a number of navies patrolling people are dying in droves on the crossings because the ships they're using are so overloaded that they capsize easily, resulting in mass fatalities even when rescuers are nearby. And because the Europeans aren't going to ferry people because they think that's a moral hazard, they've decided they might want to destroy the boats, which is also an appalling solution.

I doubt the Italians will want the appearance of shooting at Libya though, so...

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

does libya even have a functional government at this point i thought they were basically somalia II: now with more desert

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

quote:

In his speech last week, Mr Trump said of Mexico: "They're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists, and some I assume are good people, but I speak to border guards and they tell us what we are getting."

How did I miss this

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

does libya even have a functional government at this point i thought they were basically somalia II: now with more desert

libya has 2 governments, one controls tripoli and about 10,000 square miles around it, the other government (the internationally recognized one) controls most of the rest of the territory. tuareg militants are fighting over western libya's deserts, ISIS controls a city in central libya, and other islamist militias control parts of benghazi and derna. the 2 main factions are hashing out a peace deal right now and various local peace fires have been signed, so they may soon unite and kill the remaining factions not loyal to the resulting power sharing government that would arise from the agreement. the thing that the internationally recognized government is pissed about is that they aren't the ones that control the port cities where migrants are leaving from, and they feel like europe negotiating with the actually relevant militias and not them is violating their sovereignty

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

*leans back in chair and cracks knuckles*

Let me tell you scrubs a thing or two about terrorism

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

*leans back in chair and cracks knuckles*

Let me tell you scrubs a thing or two about terrorism

proceed, provos

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
I made a thread

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Jagchosis posted:

libya has 2 governments, one controls tripoli and about 10,000 square miles around it, the other government (the internationally recognized one) controls most of the rest of the territory. tuareg militants are fighting over western libya's deserts, ISIS controls a city in central libya, and other islamist militias control parts of benghazi and derna. the 2 main factions are hashing out a peace deal right now and various local peace fires have been signed, so they may soon unite and kill the remaining factions not loyal to the resulting power sharing government that would arise from the agreement. the thing that the internationally recognized government is pissed about is that they aren't the ones that control the port cities where migrants are leaving from, and they feel like europe negotiating with the actually relevant militias and not them is violating their sovereignty

actually now that i think about it somalia is probably more unified than libya. the central government of somalia controls more of non-somaliland somalia than the recognized government of libya controls of its territory probably

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

I made a thread

gonna be filled with right wing gbs racists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Jagchosis posted:

gonna be filled with right wing gbs racists

Then we close the thread and send it to the gas chamber. History lesson.

• Locked thread