Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zapjackson
May 21, 2012

NickPancakes posted:

Added to our list. Thanks friend.

On another note, I played some Towerfall Ascension this weekend and really enjoyed it. Can anyone think of any other couch co-op indie stuff that's come out somewhat recently? I'm thinking of pairing Towerfall with something else and forcing Gary to come hang out and play them both for a day and then record an ep about them.

Samurai Gunn is the best of the recent crop, for my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Another great one is 0space.

http://teknopants.itch.io/0space

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Duck Game all day.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Thanks guys, I'll add them all to the list.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Regular Human Basketball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp6R9XzNbow

http://www.powerhoof.com/regular-human-basketball/

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The new WOFF! is out, and it's about Demon's Crest.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/103

Up next is L.A. Noire, Spider-man 2, and our contest winner Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Song For The Deaf posted:

The new WOFF! is out, and it's about Demon's Crest.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/103

Up next is L.A. Noire, Spider-man 2, and our contest winner Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors.

All right! I've played most of this game then stopped at That loving Boss

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not sure if I wanted 999 to win because that was the one game in the poll I had any experience with or if I wanted it not to so I would be forced to check out a new game. Should be cool to hear you guys talk about it though.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm not sure if I wanted 999 to win because that was the one game in the poll I had any experience with or if I wanted it not to so I would be forced to check out a new game. Should be cool to hear you guys talk about it though.

Other way around for me! I've played (and loved) the other three, so this was as good an excuse as any to try it.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I hate the conversation mechanic in L.A. Noire and I think it was a big reason I bailed on it about 1/3 into the game. If they didn't tell you that you were choosing the right or wrong selections and just let the conversations happen I honestly think that would have solved most of my issues with that part of the game.

From what I hear I played the best parts of that game anyway.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 26, 2015

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

In the interest of gross self promotion (you will hear about this multiple times for the next couple of episodes) I made a game. It's a short adventure game about divorce in the style of old MacVenture titles. You can buy it here:

http://garybutterfield.itch.io/early-frost-warning

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Timett posted:

I hate the conversation mechanic in L.A. Noire and I think it was a big reason I bailed on it about 1/3 into the game. If they didn't tell you that you were choosing the right or wrong selections and just let the conversations happen I honestly think that would have solved most of my issues with that part of the game.

From what I hear I played the best parts of that game anyway.
You can turn off all of the chimes in the options. That includes conversation choices and the "bwaaaah" when you find all the clues in a crime scene.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The future WOFF has given me the inspiration to finally go back and play past the second mission of LA NOIR. Mainly because it is a point and click adventure game so I can get a walkthrough and not have to sit and stare at a face to see if I can discern the subtle tightening of the lips or the microscopic darting of an eye which is what turned me off the game originally.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Akuma posted:

You can turn off all of the chimes in the options. That includes conversation choices and the "bwaaaah" when you find all the clues in a crime scene.

Huh. Yeah, that would have helped. Sounds like they still would have given you the checks and x's off on the side of the screen or whatever so not perfect but I definitely didn't know that was a thing.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Timett posted:

Huh. Yeah, that would have helped. Sounds like they still would have given you the checks and x's off on the side of the screen or whatever so not perfect but I definitely didn't know that was a thing.
No I think that's part of it, it was definitely supposed to make it a lot more ambiguous. Personally I preferred knowing (I ripped that whole thing off whole-cloth for a game I made) but it seems like they wanted it to be more ambiguous in general so people didn't feel compelled to start over if they got something "wrong" but somewhere in development they went the other way.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
And this was something that was in the game from the start? Maybe I'll go back to it!

Bonus: I saw this LA Noire video on Internet recently and thought it was pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzPvx8VUSDw

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's an interesting game as a whole, but I really just wanted being buddy cops with Rusty to last for as long as possible.

Loved that part of the game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

LA Noire is a really stupid game that falls apart as soon as you examine any one mechanic with critical thinking. I still love it though, there's nothing else quite like it.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I wanted to use lead weighed gloves and saps to beat out confessions. Cole is to Mickey mouse.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Man, I wanted to love L.A. Noire, but from a design standpoint, it's SO busted. It has an open world, but if you choose to explore it (which you shouldn't), you only risk loving up your score with traffic accidents. And they couldn't figure out a way for the interrogation sections to work naturally, so cheating is essentially built into the game as an option you'll have to rely upon.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I played LA Noire when it first came out with my girlfriend at the time and it left a good, but broken impression on me. The biggest thing was the Doubt option because the other two options were "obvious lie" and "obvious truth". If you think that someone might be bullshitting you, you press Doubt and would expect Ken Cosgrove to be like, "are you sure that you parked your car over there?" and gently prod whomever you are interrogating... However, more times than not, Ken hops up and gets in the dude's face yelling "DON'T YOU FUCKIN LIE TO ME YOU FUCKIN COUCH MOLESTER!", so the options become "Let it slide", "Get in someone's poo poo", and "unpredictably fly off the handle and get in some dude's face".

It seems more like a tech demo more than anything. Something akin to Bully to test out new mechanics. Also seeing John Flattery try to bullshit his way out of being caught with a literal child was pretty gross and hilarious.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Phone posted:

The biggest thing was the Doubt option because the other two options were "obvious lie" and "obvious truth". If you think that someone might be bullshitting you, you press Doubt and would expect Ken Cosgrove to be like, "are you sure that you parked your car over there?" and gently prod whomever you are interrogating... However, more times than not, Ken hops up and gets in the dude's face yelling "DON'T YOU FUCKIN LIE TO ME YOU FUCKIN COUCH MOLESTER!", so the options become "Let it slide", "Get in someone's poo poo", and "unpredictably fly off the handle and get in some dude's face".

You're better at this than you realize: apparently in some of the final months before release they went in and changed the entirety of the prompt system, from "coax/force/lie" to the ones that became final (which, for those who didn't play it, were "truth", "doubt", and "lie"). Dialogue never got re-recorded, though, so as a result more than a few scenes in the game leave you going "Wait, what the gently caress?"

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

We'll talk about LA:N at length, of course, but my initial feeling is that all of your critiques are more or less true and a lot of the lovely things about it that Bob mentions were trojan horses to get an investigative game in our hands. I think the investigation/interrogation (other than some of the issues mentioned with the latter) are about as good as it gets in games. I haven't played a game that has me as invested in finding clues and putting them together as this one.

The actual macro story of the game is really strong, it's just interrupted by a bunch of micro stories. I'm in the minority as really not liking the homicide stuff as I think it gets in the way of the main plot and feels really reference-y.

Again, I'll talk about it for about 2 and a half hours in a week or so.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh man, this weeks Crate & Crowbar discussion of Batman was wonderful. They've surpassed Thumbs (sorry Chris and Jake) as my favorite gamescast and more people ought to listen to them. So good.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

Oh man, this weeks Crate & Crowbar discussion of Batman was wonderful. They've surpassed Thumbs (sorry Chris and Jake) as my favorite gamescast and more people ought to listen to them. So good.

Yeah, the Crate and Crowbar have been killing it.

I just wish they didn't broadcast from the far end of a tunnel full of dicks every week.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Totally agree on both them being excellent but the audio also being annoying. I've never recorded a podcast so I can't give them any real advise but they need to so some thing to limit how "loud" it can get for instance when they all laugh.

There seems to be a too big gap between the volumes (say when graham is speaking I will turn it up, then they all laugh and blow my ear drums).

Like I say I have no actual advise and they could be limited by their hardware.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Patrick Klepek's new podcast is pretty good, Match 3 Podcast. It's more about stuff around games than the games themselves, but the last two episodes, which are the only ones I've listened to so far, have both been a great listen. One focused on race and sex in games and the other on games as art. A lot of people will probably hate it right off the bat (not least because it's a Patrick Klepek joint and some folks have a bizarre hatred of him), but if you think it might be your kind of thing, worth giving a try.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

He posts snippets of it to his Youtube channel occasionally and they've generally been funny / insightful, so those are worth dipping your toe into even if you don't have time for another full-fat podcast.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

Patrick Klepek's new podcast is pretty good, Match 3 Podcast. It's more about stuff around games than the games themselves, but the last two episodes, which are the only ones I've listened to so far, have both been a great listen. One focused on race and sex in games and the other on games as art. A lot of people will probably hate it right off the bat (not least because it's a Patrick Klepek joint and some folks have a bizarre hatred of him), but if you think it might be your kind of thing, worth giving a try.

I think most of the flak he gets is from his writing. I always liked him on the Bombcast and he was always willing to try poo poo Jeff and the others wouldn't be in to at all, but any time he wrote something it was usually trite that didn't take a strong stance one way or another. The "as for me, I plan on continuing to play games." that people mockingly post on the giantbomb thread didn't materialize out of thin air, that's usually the stance he has whenever he posted something. Basically, he's great on podcasts and video but the thing he was hired at giantbomb years ago for, his writing, is really mediocre.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And even if you ignore his determined lack of opinion on any subject, his authorial voice is really grating.

On the other hand, he was the best Quick Looker in this history of Giant Bomb Quick Looks and was excellent cheerful rear end in a top hat in their podcasts and other videos.q

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I fully support anyone "the Giant Bomb community" hates, purely on the basis that every post by one of them at or about Klepek was stunningly pathetic and petty.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Because the bonfire side chat guys talked about possibly running Shadow Tower after Bloodborne I started that thing up and even more so than kings field that games you loving nothing to go on. The game is actually pretty gorgeous for a PS1 game and actually has a torch mechanic not dissimilar to DS2 the real gripe is that there's a loading screen between anything menu related it's actually kind of incredible how bad the loading is and this is coming from someone who slogged through KF 1 and 2 relatively recently. I also cannot think of a game more in need of an in game map than shadow tower jesus. Also I'll try and get a trip report on the ps2 game which had a English translation around as I hope it's on par with KF4.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I played Shadow Tower with a map open the entire time, and checked an FAQ if I got stuck, but otherwise had a lot of fun with it. If you like puzzling out the basic mechanics of a game, it's full of awesome "a-ha!" moments.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Do player Shadow Tower Abyss, it's so much better than the original, and the closest you can get to Souls outside of Souls.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Hakkesshu posted:

Do player Shadow Tower Abyss, it's so much better than the original, and the closest you can get to Souls outside of Souls.

Glad to hear it I'll pop that in next week.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What's the first Abject Suffering where Crick appears?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
"Dudes With Attitude", Episode 47. http://duckfeed.tv/abjectsuffering/47

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/615596010526498816

This made me incredibly happy

To anyone who's into Darkest Dungeon: Three Moves Ahead has had a couple of episodes (299,307) with Tyler Sigman, one of the game's developers, and I'd really recommend them. I hadn't heard much about his game, and even the small mentions that were made of it made me really want to pick it up sometime, plus Rob invited him to do a full episode on Darkest Dungeon whenever it comes out of early access, which I'm sure is gonna be great.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Thumbs: since you asked, I'd definitely like to hear some Her Story spoilers next week. I'm very interested to hear what you think about it, and it drove me up the wall listening to you try to talk about it without saying anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Personally I'd like to extend a "please stop" to anyone who has spoiler-free discussions of games on their podcasts. It's awful to listen to, just introduce the game and say whatever you can say without spoilers and then just edit in "spoilers end at 33:20". If you're trying not to spoil eachother then I guess that's tougher but as a selfish consumer that doesn't concern me as much.

• Locked thread