Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Oh boy! I always wanted to see the return of guilds!

Problem is, I always imagined there'd be a Vetinari behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I once heard the only other country to implement functional constituencies besides Hong Kong was fascist Italy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Taiwan before democracy.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

City of London lol

Maybe not technically functional constituencies, but almost.

wikipedia said posted:

The City has a unique electoral system. Most of its voters are representatives of businesses and other bodies that occupy premises in the City. Its ancient wards have very unequal numbers of voters. In elections, both the businesses based in the City and the residents of the City vote.

The principal justification for the non-resident vote is that about 330,000 non-residents constitute the day-time population and use most of its services, far outnumbering residents, who number around 7,000. Nevertheless, the system has long been controversial. The business vote was abolished in all other UK local council elections in 1969.[citation needed]

A private Act of Parliament in 2002[34] reformed the voting system for electing Members to the Corporation of London and received the Royal Assent on 7 November 2002. Under the new system, the number of non-resident voters has doubled from 16,000 to 32,000. Previously disenfranchised firms (and other organisations) are entitled to nominate voters, in addition to those already represented, and all such bodies are now required to choose their voters in a representative fashion.

Bodies employing fewer than ten people may appoint one voter; those employing ten to 50 people one voter for every five employees; those employing more than 50 people ten voters and one additional voter for each 50 employees beyond the first 50.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 23, 2015

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Bloodnose posted:

I once heard the only other country to implement functional constituencies besides Hong Kong was fascist Italy.

What about the City of London? (Not the same thing as London, the city.)
e,f,b.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BCR posted:

I took away its a investor class combining with a the CCP authoritarian party to gently caress over the majority. The communist party of china, as the old vanguard party has never been of the people, Mao hosed it all up with the Great Leap and needing the Cultural revolution to purge people who said "you're a big loving goon who doesn't wash, fucks young girls, and you've had no clue since the long march which was all about you being carried around on a litter"

While there's a veritable mountain of evidence to criticize Mao there's no need to throw in fabrications by Jung Chang.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Raenir Salazar posted:

While there's a veritable mountain of evidence to criticize Mao there's no need to throw in fabrications by Jung Chang.

Woah there buddy, gonna need to see some evidence that Jung Chang makes stuff up

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Chang is a great novelist, there's no doubt about that, but a weak historian. See all of this review:
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v27/n22/andrew-nathan/jade-and-plastic

But especially this letter to the editor in response to it:

quote:

As the biographer of Archibald Clark Kerr, the British ambassador to China from 1937 to 1942, I was disappointed to see that Jung Chang and Jon Halliday repeat in Mao: The Untold Story the allegation that Clark Kerr was a Soviet agent. Had this been argued out, and evidence produced, then I would at least have had something to consider. However, nothing of the sort is done. Indeed, the only relevant text referenced is my own biography of Clark Kerr in which I took considerable pains to dismiss this unfair allegation. What is the point of their bald citation of a text that expressly negates the point they try to make?

If this is symptomatic of their overall approach, then I am not surprised that they should find themselves under attack from Andrew Nathan (LRB, 17 November 2005). The issue is not Mao’s character and deeds but the ethics of biography.

Donald Gillies
University of Strathclyde

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Well that's troubling

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I, for one, am not troubled by the idea of Mao deserving all the bad press he can get, the fucker.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Ceciltron posted:

I, for one, am not troubled by the idea of Mao deserving all the bad press he can get, the fucker.

Ceciltron's posting: 70% bad, 30% good.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

kenner116 posted:

Ceciltron's posting: 70% bad, 30% good.

He's Christine Lagarde remember.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Can someone who reads Chinese have a stab at translating these? Google Translate is giving garbage:

Leaked Legco WhatsApp Group posted:

【on.cc東網專訊】 政改方案上周四表決,建制派出現世紀大「甩轆」,當中的WhatsApp對話足本實錄如下:
階段1:立法會大會上午9時復會,泛民議員遲遲不發言,會議進度遠超預期,鍾樹根提議突擊提早表決
鍾樹根 09:21
如果12點前都無建制派講,可以投票了
林健鋒 09:25
忍!有數位未發言的泛民議員在宴會廳
曾鈺成 09:27
建制派中誰是不吐不快非講不可的,可早講;不要弄得太牽強
鍾樹根 09:27
忍下啦!等佢哋講晒先。
譚耀宗 09:44
其實我哋可以隨時投票,但我明白不吐不快,所以大家先講一下,9個泛民會發言的,但想押到最後,令我們反擊不過來,所以民建聯留守4人。
階段2:姚思榮憂陳偉業提中止待續議案,建議拖延到周五早上才表決
姚思榮 09:48
如果大舊(陳偉業)提中止,每個議員講15分鐘,泛民可控時間約6-7分鐘,我們要有反控的準備,將時間拖到明早!
陳健波 09:48
泛民咁串,無人在席,好想講的講完就真係投票。
林健鋒 09:53
排隊二位講完後可停一停。投票!逼他們回來。
鍾樹根 09:54
好玩!
譚耀宗 09:54
如果大舊提中止,泛民不參與,好快就完,泛民參與,我哋咪拖到明天上午,又滿足大家發言。
階段3:曾鈺成「提水」促建制派「留力」
鍾樹根 09:59
大舊走開是陷阱
林健鋒 10:00
Let play! Go Go Go
曾鈺成 10:01
未知佢哋搞乜,要小心。留力仍是首要。
鍾樹根 10:01
頭頂有相機射住,可能是鬼。小心whatspp(WhatsApp)俾(畀)人裝到
譚耀宗 10:04
如果他們有9人不發言而投票,懸疑性很大,一是準備轉軚,一是另有盤算。
黃國健 10:04
停止發言,他們不講就投票,否則我們被逼返轉頭。
鍾樹根 10:06
咁,就快啲投票了!
麥美娟 10:06
我哋工聯會忍至最後,如果馬上投票,唔講都無所謂。
廖長江 10:06
估計四大寇(拉布4子)會先中止,後發言。(黃)毓民昨天跟我說他很緊張這次發言準備,已經6-7稿,不會狂罵人,會講出他的道理。
陳健波 10:07
記者話大舊搞中止都無乜人啋(睬)佢,不用太擔心,投票吧。
曾鈺成 10:08
對方有可能轉軚的基本上都已發言表態,故看來不可有變局。他們應是在部署表決後行動。一定要迫大舊先講。留力。
鍾樹根 10:34
我哋應在2點前表決,否則會中止待續。之後,我哋講晒,好被動。
現在不要為講而講,要為策略而講或不講。
葉國謙 10:34
現時大家不用討論中止待續的問題
陳婉嫻 10:35
請冷靜!不要令我們被動。(圖案:太陽花、笑笑、烏龜)
鍾樹根 10:36
不計算中止待續,會犯錯誤的。
曾鈺成 10:44
聽說多數泛民無意參與中止辯論,且走著瞧
曾鈺成 10:46
請協調好,盡量避免自行按發言制,全部用舉手。
曾鈺成 10:54
好心人建議:你叫我哋啲議員買防偷窺mon貼啦,日日俾(畀)人影到!
階段4:泛民遲遲無行動,建制派停止發言,希望迫使陳偉業發言
梁君彥 11:35
等大舊講
葉國謙 11:36
不要發言,迫(逼)大舊、胡志偉
曾鈺成 11:40
最好俾(畀)大舊先
譚耀宗 11:41
大舊講完,情況清楚,可以安排我們發言時間
葉國謙 11:42
現時只有大舊提中止待續的人
大家不發言
階段5:泛民始終無行動,即將進行表決,建制派開始出現溝通混亂
譚耀宗 12:06
表決後,請大家到咪兜發表聲明。泛民會在會議大廳搞大龍鳳
葉國謙 12:08
反對派在表決公布結果後,會衝出主席台抗議,主席會宣告暫停會議,我們全體建制派即時離開到咪兜。
葉國謙 12:15
反對派可能取消抗議行動。記者會後,大家一齊到廣場
曾鈺成 12:15
不是取消,是在宣佈休會之後。到時你們全部離場好了。
黃定光 12:17
請明確下一步行動。
葉國謙 12:18
休會即齊齊走到咪兜,不去理會反對派
陳鑑林 12:21
投票,請速返!
葉國謙 12:22
健波速返
階段6:表決鐘響起,林健鋒提暫停會議「等埋發叔」不果,葉國謙決定拉隊離場希望迫使會議暫停,但兩個行動都無在WhatsApp群組交代
曾鈺成 12:39
玩乜?!
陳鑑林 12:44
兩個字是「失敗」!

http://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/news/20150624/bkn-20150624233038224-0624_00822_001.html

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ceciltron posted:

You should be on general principle of having historiography be written as the end of a process of exhaustive detailed research keeping your biases in check; otherwise you distort history to caricature and hearsay instead of evidence. "Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it." If the causes of the Great Leap Forward and to a lesser extent the Cultural Revolution and how they relate to Mao aren't properly studied because certain authors instead insist on peddling their own personal head canon as only tangentially or circumstantially backed up by their research, well, that's a problem isn't it? At a minimum whatever legitimate research or insights Chang might have had are now going to be eclipsed by the parts where she goes off her rocker. Suppose she did research say, the casualty figures correctly, well now anyone on the internet can say "Because she made up facts here, how can we trust her research here or here?"

There's solid reasons why you shouldn't just blindly accept distortions of historical figures, even ones who did arguably evil acts because it does legitimate harm in the long term.

Semi related to the "I don't like you personally but agree you have a valid point even if you're an rear end in a top hat." principle.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 25, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Is her book on Cixi good?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Raenir Salazar posted:

You should be on general principle of having historiography be written as the end of a process of exhaustive detailed research keeping your biases in check; otherwise you distort history to caricature and hearsay instead of evidence. "Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it." If the causes of the Great Leap Forward and to a lesser extent the Cultural Revolution and how they relate to Mao aren't properly studied because certain authors instead insist on peddling their own personal head canon as only tangentially or circumstantially backed up by their research, well, that's a problem isn't it? At a minimum whatever legitimate research or insights Chang might have had are now going to be eclipsed by the parts where she goes off her rocker. Suppose she did research say, the casualty figures correctly, well now anyone on the internet can say "Because she made up facts here, how can we trust her research here or here?"

There's solid reasons why you shouldn't just blindly accept distortions of historical figures, even ones who did arguably evil acts because it does legitimate harm in the long term.

Semi related to the "I don't like you personally but agree you have a valid point even if you're an rear end in a top hat." principle.

Didn't his doctor do a tell-all as well that said basically the same things about being a dirty old lech? Reading about Mao from people who were around him I always saw parallels with mob bosses. Not too bright, prone to anger, cult of personality, could off you at any time for the slightest affront.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

http://www.japantoday.com/category/world/view/china-slams-u-s-human-rights-record posted:

BEIJING —
China on Friday slammed the U.S. for a “terrible human rights record”, denouncing it for police brutality and global surveillance a day after Washington criticised Beijing’s own performance.
In a report sourced mainly from U.S. media, China said the U.S. was “haunted by spreading guns, frequent occurrence of violent crimes, the excessive use of force by police”.
It said that U.S. intelligence had used “indiscriminate” torture against terrorist suspects, while “violating human rights in other countries” with drone strikes and mass surveillance programs.
The document is released each year by China the day after the U.S. State Department issues its annual global human rights report. Beijing does not release rights reports on other countries.
Unlike China, the U.S. is a multiparty democracy but the report declared: “Money is a deciding factor in the U.S. politics, and the US citizens’ political rights were not properly protected.”
The Chinese Communist Party has repeatedly imprisoned those who openly challenge its right to rule or have protested publicly.
Its state-run media said in December that torture by Chinese police to extract confessions is “not rare”, in an unusual admission.
Friday’s document, released by China’s State Council, or cabinet, largely cited U.S. domestic media websites, including the New York Times, which is blocked by Beijing as part of its Internet censorship regime.
China said the U.S. justice system suffered from “serious racial bias”, highlighting police killings of several unarmed black men, which sparked protests over the past year.
The US has “grim problems of racial discrimination, and institutional discrimination against ethnic minorities continued”, it added.
Washington’s own report on Thursday said that in China “repression and coercion were routine, particularly against organisations and individuals involved in civil and political rights advocacy”.
It also noted Beijing’s continued repression of ethnic Uighurs and Tibetans.
The report criticised semi-autonomous Hong Kong.
“The most important human rights problems reported were the limited ability of citizens to participate in and change their government through the right to vote in free and fair elections,” it said of the city.
Hong Kong lawmakers last week rejected a Beijing-backed electoral reform package which was derided as “fake democracy” during mass protests in 2014, as it required candidates for the city’s next leader be vetted by a loyalist committee.
The U.S. report also highlighted limitations on press freedom and violence against the media in Hong Kong, after attacks on some leading journalists and executives.
The city’s government hit back Friday saying foreign powers “should not interfere” in its constitutional development and added “great importance” was given to freedom of speech.
Human rights are a long-standing source of tensions between China and the U.S., which imposed sanctions on Beijing after the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown on pro-democracy protesters that left hundreds, by some estimates more than 1,000, dead.
China often says that its rapid economic development in recent decades has led to a greater respect for human rights, and that other countries are not entitled to criticise its record.

I love it when they release these.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Stringent posted:

China and America are in a race, but nobody seems to realize they're running at each other.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

quote:

The city’s government hit back Friday saying foreign powers “should not interfere” in its constitutional development and added “great importance” was given to freedom of speech.

I'm sure it's an assigned priority for the PRCSOF, at any rate.

Tupperwarez posted:

China and America are in a race, but nobody seems to realize they're running at each other.

Less race, more freefall.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
EDIT: Wrong thread

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I saw this thread exploded and it turned out to be just Hong Kong poo poo posts.

This thread should rename the Hong Kong thread and the China economy thread to just China thread.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
China’s Stock Market Plunges

quote:

SHANGHAI — Share prices in China plunged on Friday in one of the sharpest sell-offs in years, accelerating a downturn this past week in what has been, for much of this year, the world’s best-performing stock market.

China’s two major market indexes fell in tandem. The Shanghai composite fell 7.4 percent on Friday. The Shenzhen composite fell even more, dropping 7.9 percent. Share prices in Hong Kong, which is regulated separately, also weakened, dropping 1.8 percent.

“This is not a bad thing,” Mr. Lo said. “This is an opportunity for long-term investors to go back in. Many investors weren’t comfortable with those sky-high valuations.”

Buy, buy, buy?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Chickenwalker posted:

Didn't his doctor do a tell-all as well that said basically the same things about being a dirty old lech? Reading about Mao from people who were around him I always saw parallels with mob bosses. Not too bright, prone to anger, cult of personality, could off you at any time for the slightest affront.

That biography is also controversial and in doubt, In the biography by Philip Short Mao was known to have slept around quite a bit, from what I vaguely remember as its been a while they were like groupies, school teachers, functionaries, adult (though still young) working women; remember that this was a dude whose face could spark a crowd of thousands wanting to just see him, but the allegations of being a pedo-panda are unwarranted.

But your characterization doesn't really seem reasonable if you look at the commonly accepted facts; remember this is a person who was astoundingly successful in military command and politics. He didn't rules lawyer his way into power; but who quite ably maneuvered himself into power by convincing the Party Congress that they needed him in power. To whatever extent he's a peasant bumkin from the boonies is far eclipsed by a considerable and demonstrably true shrewd intelligence.

To what extent does a stock market collapse in China harm the average person?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I've heard people criticize the private life memoir by his doctor, but never really on specifics.

To be honest, the picture painted in that book seemed fairly balanced. A shrewd and charismatic general and politician who was probably better at winning a war than ruling afterwards, poorly served by the yes-men he surrounded himself with, and a variety of quirks reflective of his humble origins. As for sleeping with tons of young women...honestly, is that to be considered unusual? Power is an aphrodisiac. I'd be more surprised if he didn't, given the opportunity.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

Mozi posted:

Buy, buy, buy?
Nope: "Morgan Stanley says it’s over: 'Our stance on China A shares is that this is probably not a dip to buy. In fact, we think the balance of probabilities is that the top for the cycle on Shanghai, Shenzhen and Chinext has now taken place.'"

Raenir Salazar posted:

To what extent does a stock market collapse in China harm the average person?
Badly: "Bloomberg cited a recent survey of about 4,000 households in China that showed two-thirds of new stock investors left school by the age of 15. This is dangerous because I highly doubt that such inexperienced investors understand stock valuations as measured by price-to-earnings ratios. Currently, about half the stocks on the Shanghai exchange are trading at p/e levels above 50, a fact that probably few Chinese investors realize."

e: Not the Bloomberg article cited by Dallas News, but still interesting from three months ago: "To get a sense of the frenzy in China’s world-beating equity market, consider this: In a two-week span last month, the rally lured 2.8 million rookie stock pickers, almost the equivalent of Chicago’s entire population." The average person in China doesn't own stocks, but millions and millions of people who can't afford to be speculating were doing just that.

Dux Supremus fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 26, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

whatever7 posted:

I saw this thread exploded and it turned out to be just Hong Kong poo poo posts.

This thread should rename the Hong Kong thread and the China economy thread to just China thread.

So is Hong Kong China or..?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
china's borders should be defined by where its smog reaches to

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

angel opportunity posted:

china's borders should be defined by where its smog reaches to

That's a good idea. Hk has been Crystal clear for the past few weeks.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arglebargle III posted:

So is Hong Kong China or..?

China's colony.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

whatever7 posted:

China's colony.

Fake China's colony
Real China has a sun, not stars
Unless you're talking about a Real China Experience

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Uh, I'm the only sunshine boy in this town.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

did you get the salt company job or are you still in china?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Haha holy poo poo SCMP really is a turd now. It was a decent paper four years ago.

This guy wrote an article about how he couldn't understand the outrage this article provoked.

Jason 'Wordie' posted:

Among colonial Hong Kong society’s more pitiful by-products, the stereotypical adult “expat brat” is probably the saddest. Raised by a revolving-door cavalcade of transient “helpers” who instilled little or no real discipline in them, an attitude of unthinking privilege develops. School friends vanish permanently all too often, and the emotional consequence of this constant disruption is a superficiality in human relationships; due to their experiences, they expect people will ultimately leave them, and so make little deep investment in others.

Emotional shallowness, combined with a chillingly utilitarian attitude to almost everyone with whom they come into contact, are inevitable (and very visible).

. . . a drift back to Hong Kong constitutes what passes for normality; legions of “expat brats” exist into middle age in an explicitly marginal world; most are unable to speak a word of Cantonese and are not plugged into a local school alumni network worth mentioning. Being able to leverage “Daddy is …” (or “Daddy was …”) into various job interviews remains about all they have going for them.

All the more pitiable they are for having enjoyed, at one time, the highest level of privilege.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Are Chinese people capable of argumentation more sophisticated than bitchy and/or passive aggressive slapfights?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

no

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

Are Chinese people capable of argumentation more sophisticated than bitchy and/or passive aggressive slapfights?

uhm lol

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Stringent posted:

andyouarelynchingnegroes.txt

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

Have you heard of Joshua wong

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

angel opportunity posted:

did you get the salt company job or are you still in china?

I'm still jobless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Haha holy poo poo SCMP really is a turd now. It was a decent paper four years ago.

This guy wrote an article about how he couldn't understand the outrage this article provoked.

Haha you are a really whiny and butthurt expat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)