Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

alnilam posted:

Who is "Lyle" that Amy Howe is always waiting for?

Lyle Denniston, their Court "beat" reporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Forever_Peace posted:

But HOW the 5th/14th are utilized is important. Kennedy had an opportunity to rule on equal protection grounds in Windsor, but appeared to do so on the basis of animus that doesn't need anything other than a rational basis of scrutiny (also something something federalism blah blah states rights and please won't somebody think the children). The victory that gay rights advocates are looking for is as a suspect class worthy of strict scrutiny. Kennedy's DOMA decision was meandering garbage with ill-conceived hand-waving to take the place of any sort of coherent argument structure.

This was two years ago, I don't think Kennedy is going to significantly change his tune.

Like I said, let Kennedy try to make a meal of his own tripe. I want RBG to ignore it and write the concurrence that clearly expresses the EPC grounds to an individual right to marry. She won't gently caress it up.
I agree the why/how is important.

But:

Kennedy's "animus"/rational-basis-with-bite jurisprudence was Kennedy making slow steps to protecting homosexuality under the EPC. I forget how long ago those cases were - 1990s or 2000s? - but some considerable time has passed since then, along with changes in broader society's opinion towards the gay community.

Kennedy's Windsor opinion was trying to justify the outcome without answering the issue implicated (but not directly before the Court) - and the issue now directly before the Court: gay marriage as recognized by states. It was a posture of the case problem moreso than a Kennedy shying away from ruling strongly in favor of gay marriage, in my opinion.

In contrast, the timing and posture of this case is in the sweet spot if Kennedy wants to write a homerun about gay rights. While I think Kennedy wants to do that, I don't think he'll go so far as to categorize non-heterosexuality as a suspect class, and simply do what the lower courts have generally stated - that even under rational basis (maybe even the animus rational basis standard), the bans on gay marriage must fall.

The Warszawa posted:

Betting Kennedy over Roberts as authoring King was a sucker bet, for real.
I'm a sucker for reading state sovereignty opinions, so I had a personal hope in that bet.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Their runner, he is there to get the opinions and run it to Amy

Not quite. He's the 84 year old reporter who's been on the Scotus beat since the 50s and sits in the Court press room with a cell phone, dictating what happens to someone who types it into the site.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

alnilam posted:

Who is "Lyle" that Amy Howe is always waiting for?

He's their 80+-year old press correspondent in the Press Room. Basically, the lynchpin of the entire blog.

Sadly, I don't think he takes part in the Running of the Interns, but I have every belief he could still throw down if needed.

Here's a good writeup about him.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I've met Lyle once and he has a quiet demeanor about him, but he's clearly very smart. And he speaks just as well as he writes.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Chris James 2 posted:

Today or Monday. There's only 5 cases left, it should only take these 2 days

It can take longer. Who knows, maybe SCOTUS is reveling in the public popularity :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SCOTUS Thread 2015: Spiderman, jiggery-pokery, pure applesauce

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

There should be a national Federal ID that's free and mailed to you; they should similar to how it's done in Quebec, simply set up photobooths during Highschool once or twice a year, take your picture and present you your ID then and then offer the service again in College in case you lose it.

You'd think something like that would be completely uncontroversial, but no, you'd be wrong. National ID cards are up there with gun control on the untouchable subjects list. You're clearly not American.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Axel Serenity posted:

He's their 80+-year old press correspondent in the Press Room. Basically, the lynchpin of the entire blog.

Sadly, I don't think he takes part in the Running of the Interns, but I have every belief he could still throw down if needed.

Here's a good writeup about him.

:3:

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Green Crayons posted:

I've met Lyle once and he has a quiet demeanor about him, but he's clearly very smart. And he speaks just as well as he writes.

Yeah, Lyle is awesome. I started an email correspondence with him for a while to discuss some of his characterization of the history of climate science in this article, and he was always eminently polite and reasonable (and ended up making some edits to the article).

Can't believe they rescinded his press pass for a while. Lyle is a god-damned national treasure.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

@chrisgeidner
It is a FOUR-BOX day at #SCOTUS. Wow.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Chris James 2 posted:

@chrisgeidner

Time to get this gay train on the tracks :getin:

(or else it's the other four cases today)

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
lol 4 boxes

I want all 4 to contain just one opinion.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Green Crayons posted:

lol 4 boxes

1 page of Kennedy's majority opinon on Obergefell and 4 boxes of Scalia typing "FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK"

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Green Crayons posted:

lol 4 boxes

Eight concurring opinions and a big hand drawn sadface dissent from Scalia.

Amy Howe posted:

Arizona redistricting (argued in February sitting), Clean Air Act (Utility Air Group v. EPA, argued in March sitting), Johnson v. US (Armed Career Criminal Act, re-argued in April), SSM (April), and Glossip v. Gross (lethal injection, April).

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Chris James 2 posted:

@chrisgeidner

:stare:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Green Crayons posted:

lol 4 boxes

I want the fourth one to be filled with rainbow glitter so that the party can get started right away.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Remaining cases:
Arizona redistricting (argued in February sitting), Clean Air Act (Utility Air Group v. EPA, argued in March sitting), Johnson v. US (Armed Career Criminal Act, re-argued in April), SSM (April), and Glossip v. Gross (lethal injection, April). - See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_26_2015#sthash.CLW3LkqH.dpuf

Arizona redistricting and EPA cases will probably be very long.

Might not get SSM today.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

So I read this article about conservatives being pissed at Roberts

quote:

“[Roberts] let down the [conservative] movement,” said Curt Levey of the Committee for Justice, which advocates for conservative judicial nominees. “He may feel he has no obligation to the movement.”

Some conservatives have been skeptical of Roberts from the start, saying he was maddeningly opaque about his judicial philosophy during his 2005 Senate confirmation hearings. Roberts had spent only about two years as a federal appeals court judge, which meant a sparse paper trail illuminating his judicial philosophy.

In opening remarks during his confirmation hearing before the U.S. Senate judiciary committee in 2005, Roberts spoke neutrally, noting that "Judges are not politicians who can promise to do certain things in exchange for votes" and vowing to "confront every case with an open mind."

“We wanted to be supportive, but there were these nagging doubts,” said Carrie Severino, policy director of the conservative Judicial Crisis Network. “You can’t assume someone is going to go south, but it appears the concerns were warranted. It’s what happens when you nominate someone who doesn’t have a clear record.”

I know the justices obviously have their own political leanings, but aren't they "supposed to be" politically impartial and interpreting things based purely on legal reasoning?

Like, I thought politicism of justices was more of a "yeah he's impartial but I sure do like his opinions nudge nudge wink wink" sort of thing, it seems weird to me for people to be blatantly saying "what the hell, I thought we had picked a nice reliable conservative voter here."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

One of the cases still to be decided, Johnson v. United States, really is a question of whether words have meanings. I don't see how someone could possibly argue that owning a sawed-off shotgun is itself a violent crime, but here we are. Any expectations on how that one might go?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Green Crayons posted:

Remaining cases:
Arizona redistricting (argued in February sitting), Clean Air Act (Utility Air Group v. EPA, argued in March sitting), Johnson v. US (Armed Career Criminal Act, re-argued in April), SSM (April), and Glossip v. Gross (lethal injection, April). - See more at: http://live.scotusblog.com/Event/Live_blog_of_opinions__June_26_2015#sthash.CLW3LkqH.dpuf

Arizona redistricting and EPA cases will probably be very long.

Might not get SSM today.

I'm expecting it Monday.

Hopefully someone will quote this in 30 minutes to rub my wrongness in my face.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Is there a good channel to watch this on besides following on SCOTUSBlog? CNN is running commercials and terrorism stories and it is awful.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Ok, so I see people saying there are four boxes, and I understand that means four cases today. But what are the 'boxes' referring to? Literal boxes? Something on a form?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
:siren: MARRIAGE :siren:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
gently caress

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

First decision is Obergefell.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Kennedy on marriage!

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

richardfun posted:

Ok, so I see people saying there are four boxes, and I understand that means four cases today. But what are the 'boxes' referring to? Literal boxes? Something on a form?

They're literal boxes. But that doesn't necessarily mean there are 4 cases. Some take up more than one box, some take up less.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm expecting it Monday.

Hopefully someone will quote this in 30 minutes to rub my wrongness in my face.

quotin.

ban overturned.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ITS LEGAL BOYS TIME TO GET MARRIED

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

SSM first!

It happened, everyone has to get gay married!

5-4

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

:getin: :getin:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Holding: Fourteenth Amendment requires a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

:siren: MANDATORY GAY MARRIAGE :siren:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
5-4, drat.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

do i have to marry the nearest man :gay:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

richardfun posted:

It doesn't necessarily mean four cases, I don't think. Couldn't it be fewer cases that have more writing/longer opinions?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

richardfun posted:

They hand down physical copies of the opinions. The opinions are carried in boxes. The boxes can contain one or multiple (or even only part of, if the opinion/concurrence/dissent is big enough) opinions.

4 boxes means a lot of opinions, or very long opinions, or both.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Crying right now. I have a lot of friends who are going to be very, very happy now. Can't believe it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

alnilam posted:

do i have to marry the nearest man :gay:

get over here you scurvy dog