Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
They did make a second Metroidvania Batman game. It's called Blackgate and it sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RyokoTK posted:

They did make a second Metroidvania Batman game. It's called Blackgate and it sucked.

That's a shame. I enjoyed City quite a bit because I love creating my own fun with a playground and a toolbox.
Asylum, however, is a superior game. It doesn't over-stay its welcome and the scenes were more memorable to me.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

You can't, annoyingly. I'm had to reload more than once because Geralt suddenly lacks basic mobility when in combat.

Games having separate combat and non-combat control schemes is always frustrating unless it's one of those things like Total War or Expeditions: Conquistador where there's a distinct difference between the two stages. I'm playing Assassin's Creed: Unity to try and get caught up on the series before Syndicate comes out, and I keep getting my rear end whooped because somehow an enemy can wail on Arno for a good five seconds or so before he realizes he's in combat and I get the controls that actually let me fight back. It doesn't happen real often, usually he has his sword out before the enemy is in fighting range, but it's often enough that it's noticeable as being more then just an accidental hiccup.

Another thing that bugs me about the game is that there's no button to finish off an enemy that's been knocked to the ground. If you attack an enemy who's aware of you--and thus can't be assassinated--from above, Arno drops down on them, knocking them to the ground for several seconds, and then nobly allows them to safely stand back up and engage you again.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The one big thing dragging down Arkham Knight for me is the fact you have to get 100% completion if you want to get the real ending. I like the Arkham gameplay and all, and I enjoy doing the actual side missions, but having to collect 243 Riddler doodads for the proper ending? Get that 90s Rareware poo poo out of here.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Doc Morbid posted:

The one big thing dragging down Arkham Knight for me is the fact you have to get 100% completion if you want to get the real ending. I like the Arkham gameplay and all, and I enjoy doing the actual side missions, but having to collect 243 Riddler doodads for the proper ending? Get that 90s Rareware poo poo out of here.

I don't mind the Riddler stuff so much in this game since they've dialled it way back from City and its 440 Riddler collectibles. You couldn't move in City without seeing green Riddler poo poo everywhere so it's refreshing that they didn't go bigger city-->more collectibles again.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Daedo posted:

I don't mind the Riddler stuff so much in this game since they've dialled it way back from City and its 440 Riddler collectibles. You couldn't move in City without seeing green Riddler poo poo everywhere so it's refreshing that they didn't go bigger city-->more collectibles again.

It was ridiculous but at the same time it gave some flavor to the game. The whole reason the Riddler is in Arkham City is because he can't stand that Hugo Strange knows the Batman's identity while he doesn't. The sheer amount of Riddler collectibles is a sign he really, really wants to find out by constantly being in his face and reminding him about the hostages he's taken (in the hopes of trapping him in one of his chambers).

He's a needy villain.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Hugo Strange

Who? You must mean the Joker.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
The Witcher 3 looks great, and I've heard wonderful things, but I just can't justify buying it when I havn't finished either of the previous two.

I heard The Witcher was good, so I got it, and it was okay. The combat controls are janky but the story is great. But I never finished it.

Then The Witcher 2 came out, and I thought "Oh, this looks good, I'll finish the first one then dig into this one." Except, I didn't finish the first one, I started the second one, and played like 2 or so hours before giving up, because I had no idea what the gently caress was going on with all the characters and references from Witcher 1, which I never finished.

The reason for all this fuckery is that god-loving-drat swamp in the first Witcher. gently caress me it is tedious as poo poo. I just spent a good 3 hours in that boring, ugly annoying area before getting a random CTD, and I'm ready to tell the Witcher series to go gently caress itself again. It doesn't help that the last time I played was like 4 years ago (according to the date/time stamp on the save file) and my quest log is full of confusing meaningless crap I can't remember the details of.

The original Witcher swamp area can go gently caress right off.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Byzantine posted:

Who? You must mean the Joker.

No, I mean Hugo Strange.
Or is this an Arkham Knight reference?

What I was referring to is part of the Riddler's tapes in Arkham City. Relevant parts start 2:40 in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vFs-aYGvmU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

No, I mean Hugo Strange.
Or is this an Arkham Knight reference?

It's a "City ditched the Strange plot unceremoniously so they could wank over the Joker" reference.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

In the first batman arkham game, the riddler quests gave me the impression that the joker had this huge plan to bust everyone loose and jail the guards and trap batman and everyone was in on it but nobody told the riddler. The lights go out, joker's on the loudspeakers taunting batman, and the riddler is pushed out of his cell and goes AW JEEEZEEEE YOU GUYSSSS! YOU NEVER TELL ME ANYTHING!!!!!

Batman is going through the gargoyle hanging tutorial and the riddler is running around spraying green poo poo on walls frantically recording messages "uhh, uhhh riddle me this... what is uhhhh what is a weird looking doorknob" oh god this is terrible he's never going to respect me after this.

The riddle that cinched it was "tick tock, news flash, someone's not getting out of here alive!" and the answer was "a dead body in the corner". Nothing to do with clocks or newspapers of which there were hundreds in the clock man's room and the newspaper man's room both in the same area. Just one dead body slumped in the corner. Snap a photo and you're done.

His riddles were absolute horse poo poo. I'd rather have had like four good riddles that made sense than a hundred bullshit spot the green paint or take a photo of the thing I just said quests.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The solution was usually the one object that had a unique model, too.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Swedish Horror posted:

Something dragging the Witcher 3 down is that you can't jump in combat. Fall in a puddle and you are hosed.

I got stuck in a 3 foot ditch once and it took me a good 5 minutes to force geralt out of it.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Lord Lambeth posted:

I got stuck in a 3 foot ditch once and it took me a good 5 minutes to force geralt out of it.

I got stuck in a house during the Get Shorty quest. I didn't realize there were a ton of guys to fight and ran into a house. Took forever to get them to stop trying to kill me through the door and walls before I could open it again and kill them. Oddly their swords cut clean through solid doors and walls but mine couldn't. Oh well.

For every bad moment like that at least I have three more awesome ones like the game showing me in slow motion slicing a guy's head off as I ride by on horseback. :black101:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Hunky Joe posted:

I got stuck in a house during the Get Shorty quest. I didn't realize there were a ton of guys to fight and ran into a house. Took forever to get them to stop trying to kill me through the door and walls before I could open it again and kill them. Oddly their swords cut clean through solid doors and walls but mine couldn't. Oh well.

For every bad moment like that at least I have three more awesome ones like the game showing me in slow motion slicing a guy's head off as I ride by on horseback. :black101:

That's still a terrible ratio though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RyokoTK posted:

I thought it was pretty good, but I wouldn't recommended it as it has a game ending bug and I have no idea what causes it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
World of Warcraft is a pretty neat way to spend excess time, but its playerbase is toxic as gently caress and I think after I do all the quests and dungeons I'm just going to quit again. The thought of sifting through the shitlord hordes for the few amiable people to qualify for the dubious privilege of slamming my face against Enlarged Mob Model #34, Raid Boss of Badguy Citadel makes me cringe so hard my skull crinkles.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I've been reliving my childhood by playing Dark Forces with the Dark XL engine making it look halfway decent. I got all the way through the last level of the game and was down to my very last life. I kill the boss and then the door that's supposed to open for me to end the level and the game just... doesn't open. Nothing I can do can make it open up.

I guess I win? Yay?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Dark Forces... life? It's a FPS like doom. You have to reload from a save if you die? It didn't have lives, did it?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Krinkle posted:

Dark Forces... life? It's a FPS like doom. You have to reload from a save if you die? It didn't have lives, did it?

That's the one. Dark forces totally has lives. You get to respawn at a checkpoints throughout the level with them, otherwise you need to start the level over.
They look like this ingame:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Oh weird. I guess I only ever played the demo that came with a lucasarts adventure game collection pack where one of the cds was just a grabbag of demos like the first 5 mins of curse of monkey island and a bunch of non adventure games, which didn't have lives (because gently caress you buy the game now).

And then dark forces 2+ did not have lives.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

There's a crashed ship on the western side of Velen you can fall into and have a hell of a time getting out. The water makes it almost impossible to get a decent jump off and you can't just walk out because the stairs are broken.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Screaming Idiot posted:

World of Warcraft is a pretty neat way to spend excess time, but its playerbase is toxic as gently caress and I think after I do all the quests and dungeons I'm just going to quit again. The thought of sifting through the shitlord hordes for the few amiable people to qualify for the dubious privilege of slamming my face against Enlarged Mob Model #34, Raid Boss of Badguy Citadel makes me cringe so hard my skull crinkles.

Yeah, i played WoW on a fairly casual basis for a couple of years and eventually got to some of the end-game stuff but the sperglords who you have to do that content with turned me off the game completely.

I've started playing FF14 recently because the playerbase is supposed to be more chill and i'm actually finding that to be the case already.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

princecoo posted:

Then The Witcher 2 came out, and I thought "Oh, this looks good, I'll finish the first one then dig into this one." Except, I didn't finish the first one, I started the second one, and played like 2 or so hours before giving up, because I had no idea what the gently caress was going on with all the characters and references from Witcher 1, which I never finished.

[...]

The Witcher 3 looks great, and I've heard wonderful things, but I just can't justify buying it when I havn't finished either of the previous two.

Good news! W3 has an in-game biography feature that clues you in on who characters are and how they relate to Geralt. It was honestly pretty handy - I've finished the first two games and still couldn't remember who people were or why they were important.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anachronox I want to like you, but none of your sidequests seem to be recorded in the journal.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Every time I get up to the lava world where you get to put bugs into another bug to make bug magic I give up. I don't care. Someone find me a lets play that skips all the battle scenes so I can finally find out the ending.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
I love the concept, the feel of combat, and most of the features in Monster Hunter 4, but the controls are the absolute worst loving garbage I have ever experienced. The game is completely unplayable without melee and a drat struggle with it. They were either intentionally designed to be godawful or made for someone not human.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Contrecoup posted:

I love the concept, the feel of combat, and most of the features in Monster Hunter 4, but the controls are the absolute worst loving garbage I have ever experienced. The game is completely unplayable without melee and a drat struggle with it. They were either intentionally designed to be godawful or made for someone not human.

The controls and the game structure combined were why I ultimately didn't play Monster Hunter 4 much. I feel like if the structure were something more palatable for me I'd forgive the troublesome controls, or if the controls were enjoyable I'd be okay with the grindy, short-burst structure, but both of them together was just too much.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Geralt, everyone knows white men can't jump, but you're taking that to an extreme during battle. It's a six-inch jump onto the pier behind you - stop acting like you're all boxed in.

EDIT: Oh look, someone mentioned this just last page. Oh well, I want to whine anyway

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2: The objective support ribbon. You earn this by overloading, destroying and stabilizing generators. This is actually hard to get because there is so much competition for generators that friendlies will even kill you so they can overload the generator and get the xp for it. The other way is to hack terminals, but generally either someone else has hacked the terminal or your friendlies just blow up the terminals. So the "best" option is to go on a mostly empty continent and run to enemy bases and hack their terminals (can't blow up generators to bases that aren't connected to yours). However they put an extremely low cap on getting xp for the hack, like if you hack 3 things in 5 minutes you stop getting xp. If you don't get xp from the hack, it doesn't count towards your ribbon. So you have to wait an arbitrary amount of time for the cap to go away to hack a terminal, but this time is so inconsistent. It can go away in a minute, you could spend 5 hiking over to the next base and still have the cap on.

Its already enough of a pain in the dick to get these ribbons, do they really need to be made that much more tedious?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Contrecoup posted:

This is why I had to take Shin Megami Tensei 4 back to the store and trade it in. The camera controls were the worst loving controls for a camera. Why not jsut bind left rotation to the left trigger and vice versa for the right? No, let's have the camera control be a single button that you pretty much have to mash constantly to keep demons from jumping right up your bunghole because you're busy trying to get the camera to a position you can see in. gently caress.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Sociopastry posted:

This is why I had to take Shin Megami Tensei 4 back to the store and trade it in. The camera controls were the worst loving controls for a camera. Why not jsut bind left rotation to the left trigger and vice versa for the right? No, let's have the camera control be a single button that you pretty much have to mash constantly to keep demons from jumping right up your bunghole because you're busy trying to get the camera to a position you can see in. gently caress.

Now, it's been a while since I've played and I don't have the space on my 3DS to reinstall it to check, but I swore that you were able to use the triggers to rotate the screen. I kind of remember always using the camera to turn myself in that game instead of the stick, unless I had to try and juke something.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So the The Long Dark is pretty cool. It's a survival game set in the Canadian wilderness with your biggest enemies being the cold and natural wildlife. And starving to death I guess.

That said, this game would really benefit from a random map generator or something. After restarting a couple of times you kind of start to memorize where the goodies and safe areas are (thankfully at least the quantity and quality of those supplies are random)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Every time I get up to the lava world where you get to put bugs into another bug to make bug magic I give up. I don't care. Someone find me a lets play that skips all the battle scenes so I can finally find out the ending.

https://archive.org/details/JakeHughesAnachronoxTheMovie
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNcgitxaGDc

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Krinkle posted:

I gave up near the end as well and for similar reasons. My main gripe about Anachronox is the JRPG-like battle animations taking loving forever to finish. If you have turn-based combat the animations should be quick and fluid like in Divinity: Original Sin.

Still a really cool game that I only found out about in 2012.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Phlegmish posted:

I gave up near the end as well and for similar reasons. My main gripe about Anachronox is the JRPG-like battle animations taking loving forever to finish. If you have turn-based combat the animations should be quick and fluid like in Divinity: Original Sin.

They actually patched in a toggle that speeds up battle animations, its like forward slash or something.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Phlegmish posted:

I like when they introduce the sexy lady and she's this abortion of stacked cubes painted up like a black bikini and everyone has to emote their cube faces extra hard so you know she's sexy in game. I like how every time the main guy casts a spell it looks like he's bearing down on a stubborn poo poo and blowing his rear end in a top hat out in the process. I like how there are people you have to bullshit with a minigame but there is literally no indication you are not able to do it yet and only a walkthrough will tell you "come back about forty hours later"

Nice!

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

So the The Long Dark is pretty cool. It's a survival game set in the Canadian wilderness with your biggest enemies being the cold and natural wildlife. And starving to death I guess.

That said, this game would really benefit from a random map generator or something. After restarting a couple of times you kind of start to memorize where the goodies and safe areas are (thankfully at least the quantity and quality of those supplies are random)

What it REALLY needs is more god drat flares or a way to take down wolves reliably with melee attacks and not just make them run off and come back to murder you.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Keep in mind that it was made over a decade ago so those aren't glorious HD videos of those wonderful Quake 2 engine graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Mierenneuker posted:

Keep in mind that it was made over a decade ago so those aren't glorious HD videos of those wonderful Quake 2 engine graphics.

Hahahah i read about the twist at the end but I never believed it. It was dumber than I could have possibly imagined. Was there any kind of follow through or does he just pull off his mask and bossfight?