Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

All through the Enies Lobby arc, I was wondering how they were going to get Franky to leave his family behind and join the crew.... I had a few guesses....

stealing his underwear relay-style and then Robin crushing his tangerines/grapes/apples was not one of my guesses. Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
An... ORRRRRANGE?!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Not an Owl posted:

Is the current arc better in anime form than Fishman Island and Punk Hazard were?

Nope. Anime went to poo poo the second Toei realized they could put in the least amount of effort possible and still get a shitton of money.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
King Riku might be betting it all on Luffy, but my money's on the man with the fish weapon.

Also, in case you didn't pick up on it (like I didn't at first), all of Doflamingo's moves are string puns. Barely.
Anything that ends it in a "ait" (like "parasite") or "it" sound is pronounced "ito" in Japanese, ie string (Ito ito no mi).
Parasaito
Dark Knighito
Over Heaito
etc

The puns and move names in general are some of my favorite parts of One Piece.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Finally we get to see Law's backstory, really looking forward to these episodes, Corazon looks fun. His and Doflamingo's are two of my favourite designs

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Finally we get to see Law's backstory, really looking forward to these episodes, Corazon looks fun. His and Doflamingo's are two of my favourite designs

Finally we get to see Law's backstory told as a backstory to another backstory, which then also needs to branch off to do another backstory. I hope they somehow find a way to add more recursions.

Seeing everyone's young designs is fun.

It seems that these flashbacks are holding true to the rule that people can only and must die in a flashback (except two notable exceptions). I wonder what Oda's childhood was like...
The other rule is that in order to join Luffy's crew, your (, typically, adopted) family must die; which holds here, but I don't see him giving up his own crew to join Luffy's. Not that there was any hint of that anyway.

Edit: The nun thing was bizzare. Aside from Zoro's forcibly atheist comments, religion doesn't otherwise seem to exist in their world. A nun really just seems so out of place.
Also, "Seeeeestaaaa!" haha

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 13, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Zoro fought a couple Nuns at Whiskey Peak.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Kuma carries around a bible

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Luffy beat up God

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Drakkel posted:

Luffy beat up God

To be fair, Usopp was already badly injured and still held his own.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Drakkel posted:

Luffy beat up God

Usopp is a God now!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Reiche posted:

Usopp is a God now!

Luffy already beat up Usopp, though

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Luffy already beat up Usopp, though

Well he IS a D

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Zoro fought a couple Nuns at Whiskey Peak.

Prison Warden posted:

Kuma carries around a bible

That's true, I forgot about that.
Still waiting on the Kuma backstory. I'm looking forward to that. I wonder if there's a reason he has a Bible, or if he carries it just because.
Also, the Pacifista didn't stay a threat for very long. I guess that probably means Kuma will be getting an upgrade or something by the next time we see him.
Don't remember the nuns though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

Still waiting on the Kuma backstory. I'm looking forward to that. I wonder if there's a reason he has a Bible, or if he carries it just because.
Also, the Pacifista didn't stay a threat for very long. I guess that probably means Kuma will be getting an upgrade or something by the next time we see him.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

All dead.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Nope the first one is still at Whiskey Peak and had a baby with Mr 9 the prince guy.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Shadow0 posted:

I get the feeling Big Bart isn't gonna show up again for a looooooong time (about the same time Dragon and the revolutionaries become more central).

I wanna see some super-rad Kaido of the 100 Beasts and his Zoan army. I'm hoping Oda rolls out a whole new class of Zoan for whatever he is (and you just know he's something awesome). The Mythical Zoans are some of the most powerful fruits/eaters in the world and if Kaido is the top dog Zoan-wise you just know he's got something insane up his sleeve.

Also it occurs to me that there are three fruit types and four yonko. Shanks doesn't have a fruit leaving three yonko for three fruit types. Whiteboard/Blackbeard = world- destroying Paramecia fruit (sidebar: Blackbeard theoretically has all three fruit types in his body). If Kaido has the Zoan power equivalent (Mythical Zoan Model: Leviathon (first sea monster and progenitor of monsters?!?) or a kraken or something) that would certainly make sense how he could hold his own against Whitebeard and the like. Only hiccup is Big Mom who doesn't really strike me as a logia character. They tend not to be so "larger than life" like she is. She might have to be paramecia if anything at all but I can't really think of a paramecia on par with Whitebeard's.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

I get the feeling Big Bart isn't gonna show up again for a looooooong time (about the same time Dragon and the revolutionaries become more central).

I wanna see some super-rad Kaido of the 100 Beasts and his Zoan army. I'm hoping Oda rolls out a whole new class of Zoan for whatever he is (and you just know he's something awesome). The Mythical Zoans are some of the most powerful fruits/eaters in the world and if Kaido is the top dog Zoan-wise you just know he's got something insane up his sleeve.

Also it occurs to me that there are three fruit types and four yonko. Shanks doesn't have a fruit leaving three yonko for three fruit types. Whiteboard/Blackbeard = world- destroying Paramecia fruit (sidebar: Blackbeard theoretically has all three fruit types in his body). If Kaido has the Zoan power equivalent (Mythical Zoan Model: Leviathon (first sea monster and progenitor of monsters?!?) or a kraken or something) that would certainly make sense how he could hold his own against Whitebeard and the like. Only hiccup is Big Mom who doesn't really strike me as a logia character. They tend not to be so "larger than life" like she is. She might have to be paramecia if anything at all but I can't really think of a paramecia on par with Whitebeard's.

Heh, "top dog".
Could be a Demaro Black situation
(Or a Buggy one...)
They could be (though unlikely) not very powerful and have some other (maybe hilarious) reason for their position.
For those that read OPM: The King Engine might be roaring.

Also Shanks can be Yonko without a fruit and I don't think that a fruit ever necessarily handicaps you, so even a bad fruit doesn't exempt you from being powerful. Though Big Mom doesn't look like she even lifts.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Heh, "top dog".
Could be a Demaro Black situation
(Or a Buggy one...)
They could be (though unlikely) not very powerful and have some other (maybe hilarious) reason for their position.
For those that read OPM: The King Engine might be roaring.

Also Shanks can be Yonko without a fruit and I don't think that a fruit ever necessarily handicaps you, so even a bad fruit doesn't exempt you from being powerful. Though Big Mom doesn't look like she even lifts.

Big Mom lifts big. Her head is the size of some ships it seems. Takes a lot of muscle mass to pull that off. That being said I think she is most likely to have the "gimmick- position" of the yonko. I'm thinking a bait and switch where someone else is pulling her strings. I can't imagine Oda setting up a long fist fight between Luffy and Mom. More likely he either sets her free in some way or they form an alliance and someone else kills her driving Luffy bonkers.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Blackbeard's dark power is the Logia though, so presumably Big Mom would be Paramecia.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Crazyeyes posted:

Big Mom lifts big. Her head is the size of some ships it seems. Takes a lot of muscle mass to pull that off. That being said I think she is most likely to have the "gimmick- position" of the yonko. I'm thinking a bait and switch where someone else is pulling her strings. I can't imagine Oda setting up a long fist fight between Luffy and Mom. More likely he either sets her free in some way or they form an alliance and someone else kills her driving Luffy bonkers.

That seems like a really lame idea.

And Luffy already picked a fight with her, hell technically we're already in the middle of fighting her, we just haven't seen any of it. It's kinda off-putting to have a war on two sides but only get to see one side while we have no idea what's going on with the other.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SatansBestBuddy posted:

And Luffy already picked a fight with her, hell technically we're already in the middle of fighting her, we just haven't seen any of it. It's kinda off-putting to have a war on two sides but only get to see one side while we have no idea what's going on with the other.

It's a lot more fun that getting millions of cliffhangers and dealing with the fact that there are just too many main characters in the show now. In my opinion. It's already slow enough.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm just saying I can't see a straight up 20- episode fist fight between Luffy and Mom happening. I think there has to be a different angle.

I will also be expecting many fishman karates when that arc comes around...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

I'm just saying I can't see a straight up 20- episode fist fight between Luffy and Mom happening. I think there has to be a different angle.

I will also be expecting many fishman karates when that arc comes around...

I don't think he will fight her tbh as I am still expecting her to be Lola's mother. My vague outline is that Luffy beats Kaidou and around that time Shanks loses to Blackbeard which begins the final showdown.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think he will fight her tbh as I am still expecting her to be Lola's mother. My vague outline is that Luffy beats Kaidou and around that time Shanks loses to Blackbeard which begins the final showdown.

Shanks gonna sacrifice himself near the end in order to save Luffy. Don't get too attached. I would really like to see more of him and his crew, though I understand thematically why he doesn't play a bigger role.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

Shanks gonna sacrifice himself near the end in order to save Luffy. Don't get too attached. I would really like to see more of him and his crew, though I understand thematically why he doesn't play a bigger role.

For whatever reason, both the Pirate King and Shanks passed on their hat to Luffy. I'm wondering what they couldn't do that Luffy will. I also now just realized that Shanks isn't a D.
I think there's still a strong possibility that Shank's crew with fight Luffy's. I guess if either case, yeah, sacrifice is pretty much certain. Oda does surprise the audience quite often though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shadow0 posted:

For whatever reason, both the Pirate King and Shanks passed on their hat to Luffy. I'm wondering what they couldn't do that Luffy will. I also now just realized that Shanks isn't a D.
I think there's still a strong possibility that Shank's crew with fight Luffy's. I guess if either case, yeah, sacrifice is pretty much certain. Oda does surprise the audience quite often though.

But what if: Re D. Hair Shanks??

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

The hat is one piece

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
So in this most recent episode, we had Doflamingo flashing back to running away from the townspeople, which was a flashback from getting captured by the townspeople, which was a flashback from around when Rosintate got stabbed, which was a flashback from Law's past, which is a flashback from the entire One Piece storyline as told by the narrator.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

We have to go deeper :inception:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The flashback is really good and we might actually get some light shed on the D name. The true name also sounds pretty interesting. We might even see Doflamingo without the glasses soon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
HAHAHAHAHA

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A man can dream

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I'm really enjoying the flash back with Law and now (haven't seen it yet) Doflamingo. What struck me as really odd is the family has gotten really shabby and fat. Their skills seem to have somehow stayed the same or increased but they were all in suits and looked like a Mafia family. Now they're dressed as giant babies and ones a flying squirrel.

What happened?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Suspicious Lump posted:

I'm really enjoying the flash back with Law and now (haven't seen it yet) Doflamingo. What struck me as really odd is the family has gotten really shabby and fat. Their skills seem to have somehow stayed the same or increased but they were all in suits and looked like a Mafia family. Now they're dressed as giant babies and ones a flying squirrel.

What happened?

Serious poo poo.

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

Suspicious Lump posted:

What happened?

They got old.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

What happened?

Would you believe me if I said Oda actually explains why that guys dressed as a baby and it's totally serious and kinda makes sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Drakkel posted:

Would you believe me if I said Oda actually explains why that guys dressed as a baby and it's totally serious and kinda makes sense?

No I wouldn't, but I welcome the attempt.

Also presumably the life of a free wheeling pirate is not exactly high on discipline so they probably weren't under any real pressure to stay in shape and the devil fruits make it so they don't need to be physically intimidating to still be lethal.