Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Clarence Thomas' dissent actually says that slavery did not diminish the human dignity of slaves :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

How much do you have to hate gay people to say that.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

No, it says that allowing slavery was totally uninvolved with slavery happening.

Which is, ummm...

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
OPEN THE BUTT GATES

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
White House just changed their twitter profile picture as this this:

open the bloodgates :unsmigghh:

edit because I mixed Hillary and the White House for some reason

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 26, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Oh my God, Scalia actually used the word "mummeries" in his dissent, you can't make this stuff up.

edit: and hippie, he actually uses the word hippie

His dissent against the Obamacare decision used the phrases "jiggery-pokery" and "pure applesauce" :allears:

xthetenth posted:

No, it says that allowing slavery was totally uninvolved with slavery happening.

Which is, ummm...

Centuries after the Emancipation Proclamation technically outlawed slavery, the legacy of slavery endures in the form of systemic racism and non-codified segregation. A Good Opinion.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Quick, get a statistician, I'm pretty sure we can show a correlation between slavery not being illegal and slavery happening.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Xander77 posted:

I'm just going to quote this, in case you decide to erase it when the drugs wear off.

I have to ask, what is with the random youtube links in your posts? Not upset, just curious.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

xthetenth posted:

Quick, get a statistician, I'm pretty sure we can show a correlation between slavery not being illegal and slavery happening.

There was once a time and a country where slavery was technically legal, but there weren't any slaves. Therefore your whole argument falls apart.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Times like this that I wish Chuck Asay didn't retire.

Good job, SCOTUS. It's not often I get to say that.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Saint Sputnik posted:

In that case I can't wait to see him pull a 180 now.
He's already spoken out against the flag.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'd never thought I'd think this phrase but...:

'I wonder what kind of cartoon Chuck Asay would draw for this.'

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Considering sex with inmates is defined as sexual assault, this reads more like a disturbing truth than a satire.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

IT USED TO BE:

*happy smiling heterosexual married couples drawn in a pleasant art style*

NOW IT'S:

*happy same sex couples are mixed in to the previous panel, also drawn in a pleasant art style*

(Asay just assumes you will be horrified by the second panel so he doesn't draw the same sex couples as horrible monsters)

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

loquacius posted:

His dissent against the Obamacare decision used the phrases "jiggery-pokery" and "pure applesauce" :allears:

"We out to call this law SCOTUScare now!" is my favorite part of that one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Inspector Hound posted:

How much do you have to hate gay people to say that.

How much do you have to hate black people?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Most conservative cartoonists will probably avoid the topic, because gay marriage is now a topic that if you're against it, you get shamed like crazy (good - we should do this to anti-vaxxers too!). I might expect a hilariously bad one from Branco, Jarlsberg, and maybe Lester who have no shame in their bigotry, but I think the Ramirez's and McCoy's of the world will quietly avoid this.
I think they will do cartoons but will just have to dog whistle a bit more. Don't talk about gay marriage at all but talk about activist judges or something.

Samovar posted:

He quit right before a major gay marriage issue too but I forget what exactly.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What does the ruling mean, right now? Are they going to pick a date when gay marriage is federally recognized whether an individual state wants to pout and stomp its feet or not? Is that date today?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

loquacius posted:

I was just reading an article about that:

The use of "pure applesauce" to mean "nonsense," as Scalia uses it, was new to me but does show up in the Google Books database. A completely unscientific eyeballing of those results suggests it was most popular, if "popular" is the right word, during the last century. In this biography of P.G. Wodehouse, for example, the author mentions it as an example of the "Pooterish Edwardian slang" Wodehouse used in the 1910 book Psmith in the City, along with "perfect rot" and "give me the pip" (to irritate). In 1970, Time magazine described an author as "a colloidal suspension of William Buckley, William Blake and Herbert Marcuse in pure applesauce," which was not at all a compliment, but in the last few decades "pure applesauce" has generally been used to mean just pure applesauce.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Krinkle posted:

What does the ruling mean, right now? Are they going to pick a date when gay marriage is federally recognized whether an individual state wants to pout and stomp its feet or not? Is that date today?

I think it might be more at the county level. Travis County (Austin) is doing it right now while our AG is still busy holding his breath and kicking on the floor.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Eagerly awaiting hyperbolic insanity

OPEN THE FLOOD, GAYS!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krinkle posted:

I'm not a lawyer but, it means same-sex couples already married don't have to file separate federal tax returns, same-sex couples already married have to be recognized by all states, same-sex couples have to receive all equal benefits as hetero married couples, and all states have to accept applications for marriage licences for same-sex couples.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tennessee or Texas drags their feet a bit, but if they do it too much they'll get a Federal telling-to.

The date is today. :)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

prefect posted:

I was just reading an article about that:

The use of "pure applesauce" to mean "nonsense," as Scalia uses it, was new to me but does show up in the Google Books database. A completely unscientific eyeballing of those results suggests it was most popular, if "popular" is the right word, during the last century. In this biography of P.G. Wodehouse, for example, the author mentions it as an example of the "Pooterish Edwardian slang" Wodehouse used in the 1910 book Psmith in the City, along with "perfect rot" and "give me the pip" (to irritate). In 1970, Time magazine described an author as "a colloidal suspension of William Buckley, William Blake and Herbert Marcuse in pure applesauce," which was not at all a compliment, but in the last few decades "pure applesauce" has generally been used to mean just pure applesauce.

I always preferred 'banana oil' myself.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Certain states are reacting differently. Kentucky is now issuing marriage licenses, Texas is dragging their feet, and Mississippi (surprise!) is actively fighting it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not a lawyer but, it means same-sex couples already married don't have to file separate federal tax returns, same-sex couples already married have to be recognized by all states, same-sex couples have to receive all equal benefits as hetero married couples, and all states have to accept applications for marriage licences for same-sex couples.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tennessee or Texas drags their feet a bit, but if they do it too much they'll get a Federal telling-to.

What about gay adoptions

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

How can Texas be dragging their feet on a ruling that happened like an hour ago I mean it takes a couple weeks to get your drivers license renewed and my state doesn't actively hate some people getting a drivers license how can you tell they're already being dicks about it in an hour unless you mean some state representatives tweeted a thumbs down emoji next to a rainbow one?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

ZenVulgarity posted:

What about gay adoptions

No ruling on that, but commentators have said that the language of the ruling leaves the courts wide open to a case which would likely lead to mandatory gay adoptions, too.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

... “Since well before 1787, liberty has been understood as freedom from government action, not entitlement to government benefits,” Thomas writes. Working from this principle, Thomas insists that the petitioners in the case “have in no way been deprived” of their liberty. ...

How are laws against gay marriage not not government action against those people? He defines liberty then denies that gay marriage bans are in violation of that liberty. He's crazy, almost as unhinged as Scalia. You could say ... divorced from reality. :rimshot:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Krinkle posted:

How can Texas be dragging their feet on a ruling that happened like an hour ago I mean it takes a couple weeks to get your drivers license renewed and my state doesn't actively hate some people getting a drivers license how can you tell they're already being dicks about it in an hour unless you mean some state representatives tweeted a thumbs down emoji next to a rainbow one?

I don't know about Texas but some offices that issue licenses in Alabama just loving closed down instead today.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Post 9-11 User posted:

... “Since well before 1787, liberty has been understood as freedom from government action, not entitlement to government benefits,” Thomas writes. Working from this principle, Thomas insists that the petitioners in the case “have in no way been deprived” of their liberty. ...

How are laws against gay marriage not not government action against those people? He defines liberty then denies that gay marriage bans are in violation of that liberty. He's crazy, almost as unhinged as Scalia. You could say ... divorced from reality. :rimshot:

It's really simple. The government isn't taking anything away from them; it's just not giving them something that other people have. That's the logic.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Actually isn't it in three weeks to allow for some kind of response from the conservatives?

quote:

Here's one way of dragging your feet.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-Breaking/221231/smith-county-clerk-no-gay-marriages-until-new-procedures-are-clear

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

FishBulb posted:

I don't know about Texas but some offices that issue licenses in Alabama just loving closed down instead today.

Last time a federal ruling legalized gay marriage in Alabama, the state Supreme Court said to ignore it. They might legitimately not know whether they should issue marriage licenses.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

FishBulb posted:

Hahahahha like a leak in a submarine and you just close the hatch. Sorry straight marriages, we have to... for the greater good.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I know the news cycle is already far ahead of the flag, but I like this cartoon that we seem to have missed.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Krinkle posted:

A lot of places recognized this was going to happen, and went ahead and changed the relevant forms to have gender-neutral entry fields rather than strictly husband and wife. If a state hasn't done this and refuses to process a marriage application due to "We can't do that, we have to update the forms, check back in 6-8 weeks (while we try and figure out a way to fight or get around this)" then they're dragging their feet. Georgia is already issuing same-sex marriage licenses, and I think they started shortly after the ruling was announced.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Most Buck-Wild Pride Parade Nation’s Ever Seen
http://www.theonion.com/article/supreme-court-rules-favor-most-buck-wild-pride-par-50768

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote in his majority opinion, ... "We’re talking half-naked lesbians covered in body paint, rollerblading homosexuals in brightly colored Native American headdresses and sparkling gold briefs, as well as hundreds of thousands of supporters losing their loving minds while ‘I Will Survive’ blares at 150 decibels. This is going to be an absolute poo poo show.”

prefect posted:

It's really simple. The government isn't taking anything away from them; it's just not giving them something that other people have. That's the logic.

Heh, he literally thinks that some people are just more equal than others. He read Animal Farm and nodded to himself, "Hmm, seems about right."

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A sick, twisted part of me hopes this enrages Asay out of retirement, if only for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Can someone link the judges flying into the Twin Towers? I could have sworn it was a McCoy.

• Locked thread