Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

work on recording cool poo poo and recording it well.

also don't run it without a gopro in there regardless. and consider adding fpv

I was actually researching what I need to do to add FPV, and it's basically 1200 bucks for the DJI Lightbridge thing. I'm assuming there's better deals out there, especially considering that the new DJI Phantom 3 w/1080p camera is about a grand new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wicaeed posted:

I was actually researching what I need to do to add FPV, and it's basically 1200 bucks for the DJI Lightbridge thing. I'm assuming there's better deals out there, especially considering that the new DJI Phantom 3 w/1080p camera is about a grand new.

Most people are using analog fpv solutions for the phantom 2 and 3. a dji iosd mini, 200 or 600mw 5.8ghz transmitters, black pearl or white dwarf receiver / monitor combos, and a decent set of circular polarized antennas are my suggestions. some setups you can get premade cabling for, but I did it all myself the first time, and its trivial if you know how to solder. Its still going to approach $400 (unless you realllly cheap out with the receiver and antennas - cheapdrones has some options that I can't vouch for)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 13, 2015

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
So I had my first minor crash. Was attempting to land LOS on a patch of grass about 30m long, with a slight wind from behind. Seems I needed 40m, as it was stopped abruptly by a concrete barrier before the grass could slow it down fully. Apparently I was coming in at 75km/h, despite no throttle. Likely only 10-15km/h when it hit.

Bent the aluminum wing spare a bit, and a little bit of crush in the nose, but otherwise just fine. The battery on the other hand, not so much.

The battery is cool, and all the cells are within 0.02 volts of each other. But I'm guessing the consensus would be the battery is just not worth risking? Kind of hate to toss a $60 battery, but then I'm flying around a $400 plane.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 14, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
oh pfft, I've flown worse.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Golluk posted:

So I had my first minor crash. Was attempting to land LOS on a patch of grass about 30m long, with a slight wind from behind. Seems I needed 40m, as it was stopped abruptly by a concrete barrier before the grass could slow it down fully. Apparently I was coming in at 75km/h, despite no throttle. Likely only 10-15km/h when it hit.

Bent the aluminum wing spare a bit, and a little bit of crush in the nose, but otherwise just fine. The battery on the other hand, not so much.

The battery is cool, and all the cells are within 0.02 volts of each other. But I'm guessing the consensus would be the battery is just not worth risking? Kind of hate to toss a $60 battery, but then I'm flying around a $400 plane.

If you were flying downwind when you landed, coming in at 75km/h isn't really that surprising. Always land going upwind if it is at all possible.

Batteries should be fine as long as it's cool to the touch and doesn't get any bigger when you charge. Also watch the balance on it after every flight or two, but it sounds like you are doing that already.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I finished the video of the rally race some friends and I do in a farmer's field. All of the aerial footage is from my Blade 350 QX3 AP and the ground footage comes from an assortment of Go Pros (OG Hero to Hero 3+ Silver). I slapped it all together with iMovie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMhAnElQmgA

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Golluk posted:

It looks like the cells just slid a little relative to each other. Monitor the cells and leave it somewhere flame proof for a few days but it's most likely fine. I have a few that look like that and they work fine.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Shoota_McG posted:

I finished the video of the rally race some friends and I do in a farmer's field. All of the aerial footage is from my Blade 350 QX3 AP and the ground footage comes from an assortment of Go Pros (OG Hero to Hero 3+ Silver). I slapped it all together with iMovie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMhAnElQmgA

This looks like hella fun :jeb:

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Mister Sinewave posted:

This looks like hella fun :jeb:

It's the best time. This was the sixth year we've done it. Just a bunch of friends, we all go out and spend ~$500 on a car then race them. Not much for safety equipment, just a helmet and a structurally sound car.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

That looks loving awesome. I totally want to do something like that. Only problem is finding a field to do it in...

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

So I had this happen on the weekend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9KVdiZ4JWA Jump to 8mins for crash.

Tip stalls really suck :smith:. Consensus seems to be my cg is a little too aft which is why the spin is so violent. I was flying with a strong tailwind so the 60kph groundspeed was with a much lower airspeed.

Damage isn't that bad. I've already gorilla glued the nose back together and just need to make it pretty again.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
More throttle and pulling up doesn't get you out of that?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Golluk posted:

No, but it might put you into a flat spin, which is kinda neat...if that's what you want.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Anti-spin controls are generally throttle to idle, rudder against spin, neutral elevator and aileron (depending on the aircraft/spin mode, anti-spin aileron can be either with-spin or opposite-spin). Once you pop out then it's just recover from the resulting very-nose-down attitude, but model aircraft are generally pretty low to the ground so recovery time is minimal. Plus ascertaining spin direction is probably pretty hard when all you have is FPV video and no real flight instruments to help you out. (or no FPV at all)

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

The other problem with going full throttle to try and recover is if you don't recover you are just adding energy to the crash. I knew I wasn't getting out of it so I left the throttle cut but I didn't have time to stop the roll either.

If I had thought in advance I might go into a spin I might have had a chance but it took me by surprise.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Golluk posted:

If you are thinking like a 3D plane getting out of it, it's a bit different because you have huge flying surfaces and a ridiculous thrust to weight ratio.

Most planes do not have the rudder authority to just power out of a spin, it takes time to slow it down. Jets are the worst offenders here - it's bad news when any sort of stall happens.

subx fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 18, 2015

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

subx posted:

If you are thinking like a 3D plane getting out of it, it's a bit different because you have huge flying surfaces and a ridiculous thrust to weight ratio.

Most planes do not have the rudder authority to just power out of a spin, it takes time to slow it down. Jets are the worst offenders here - it's bad news when any sort of stall happens.

Yeah, jets are really highly loaded and also really really dense compared to civilian airplanes so they spin flatter and faster. The 140 I got my private license in would come out with just neutral controls, but the T-45 requires anti-spin inputs if you're so unlucky/bad as to get yourself into a sustained steady-state spin. If you catch it early during the departure or incipient spin phases neutral controls will save you though. Also it spins inverted, so there's that.

It's kinda off-topic for the RC thread but stalls/spins/out-of-control flight is something I find really interesting, so, yeah.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Hold onto your butts... Everyones favorite senator, Feinstein just introduced this bill. It's a doozy. Here are some of my favorite parts:

quote:

—The final rule required by sub-6 section (a) shall apply to consumer drones that—
(1) are flown for hobby or recreational use; and
(2) are not operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based or-
11 ganization.
So, it applies to non commercial drones only, the second part seems like a say of saying "AMA" without saying "AMA"

The final rule will include:

quote:

(1) limitations on altitude for consumer drones, whether through software or other technological means;

(2) a means of preventing unauthorized operation within an unsafe distance from an airport or in protected airspace;

(3) a system that, through sensors and software or other similar means, enables avoidance of collisions;

(4) a technological means to maintain safety in the event that a communications link between a consumer drone and its operator is lost or compromised, such as by ensuring that the drone autonomously lands safely in a particular location;

(5) a requirement that a consumer drone be detectable and identifiable to pilots and air traffic controllers, including through the use of an identification number and a transponder or similar technology to convey the drone’s location and altitude;
Emphasis mine, but all hobby drones will have to have a transponder, I'm sure that's easy to install, as well as onboard sense and avoid capabilities (which, hell, even the high level commercial drones aren't 100% at yet)

But here is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE PART:

quote:

(1) IN GENERAL.—The final rule required by subsection (a) shall require modification, at the manufacturer’s expense, of any consumer drone that was commercially distributed before the publication of the rule so that, to the greatest extent practicable, such consumer drones meet the requirements prescribed under the rule.

The manufacturers will have to upgrade current drones.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gently caress Diane Feinstein, I hope she chokes on a bag of dicks.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good place to get sheets of carbon fiber for building frames - I have access to a cnc now and will be learning a tiny bit of solidworks (or just trying a frame from untestedprototype) and wasn't sure if the full sheets from chinese ebay sellers were any better than the stuff they used in 20 dollar blackout clones.

edit: I asked getfpv/lumenier support for some reason and they said they couldn't tell me, but to check out dragonplate

Elendil004 posted:

theres no way she doesn't understand the logistics in this.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 18, 2015

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

Who do I call at Hubsan to have GPS, sonar, and a transponder installed on my X4?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Erwin posted:

Who do I call at Hubsan to have GPS, sonar, and a transponder installed on my X4?

we must best response to your advanced. please shipping at your own expense.

Mister Sinewave posted:

The USA should be at the forefront of enabling and exploring civilian UAV development and applications. The fact that they seem to instead be gritting their teeth doing all they can to throttle the hell out of it is almost as big of an embarrassment as it is a shame.
As with everything else, there is always Canada.... for the time being.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 18, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The USA should be at the forefront of enabling and exploring civilian UAV development and applications. The fact that they seem to instead be gritting their teeth doing all they can to throttle the hell out of it is almost as big of an embarrassment as it is a shame.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Mister Sinewave posted:

Welcome to the world of uniformed old rich people running the country. This is nothing new, but the unfortunate part is none of these companies are big enough or have enough money to really fight these laws.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its probably the last thing we really need but if the MY GUNS MY AMERICA people would adopt drones for protecting their $*~LiBeRtiEs~*$ legislation might actually go somewhere positive. Start treating them like guns so we can buy them in Wal Mart for 9 year olds to use.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Being treated like a political punching bag constantly targeted by vicious dingbats who don't need sleep is something you and gun owners will have in common at least :v:

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MrYenko posted:

gently caress Diane Feinstein, I hope she chokes on a bag of dicks.

The woman is magical. She hates guns(and doesn't understand them at all), she hates RC aircraft/'drones'(and doesn't understand them at all), voted for the Patriot Act, supported the invasion of Iraq, supported the mass collection of data by the NSA, voted for unilateral censorship of the internet, and is basically wrong all the goddamned time with a few very limited exceptions.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Its probably the last thing we really need but if the MY GUNS MY AMERICA people would adopt drones for protecting their $*~LiBeRtiEs~*$ legislation might actually go somewhere positive. Start treating them like guns so we can buy them in Wal Mart for 9 year olds to use.

We've got gun laws a lot like what Feinstein wants in Canada. They make legally owning guns a pain in the rear end, but don't effect crime at all(aside from making a bunch more things crimes).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I'm pretty sure AMA would frown on a drone armed with a 1911.

Good thing I'm not in the AMA.

:clint:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

subx posted:

My plane doesn't even have a rudder, just elevons. :v:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
is there any way to downgrade a taranis receiver (specifically a d4r-ii) back to the 18ms version? I don't need a full 8 channels (and even if I did, its trivial to set up channel 5-8 resolutions so that it doesn't gently caress up the signal if they are all used)

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Why would you want to do that?

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record

Odette posted:

Why would you want to do that?

So its framerate is 9ms faster I guess.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Because that would be a higher refresh rate (55.5 hz vs 37)? Unless I'm mistaken, the only real issue was with all 8 channels used, so if I resolved that, why wouldn't I want to be sending more inputs per second? Same as with higher refresh usb keyboards and mice.

edit: found the d4r thread on rcgroups, someone found it 2 weeks ago. I'll share the link once he gets in contact.

edit2: https://sites.google.com/site/seafurymike/frsky

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 22, 2015

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record
I don't really get why someone would need 8 channels for a mini anyway. I use 4 control, one for arming and one for LEDs off/buzzer on. I guess if you used self level modes that would be an extra channel.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I finally had some luck with my mini quad. It is now up and flying very smooth, but needs some pitch/roll mixing because of the asymetrical layout. It wouldn't fly before because the board thought it was upside down.:downs: The entire frame is 3d printed, even the spacers. Fell in love with the Dremel blue and now I'm paying out the rear end for brand name filament.:argh: It is a very nice blue and does cool things in the sun, photos do not do it justice.

I completely redesigned the frame enlarging it from 125mm to 140mm, 3020 props, and switched from individual ESCs to a 4-in-1 board from Ready to Fly Quads. Everything fits so much better.

The arm supports make the frame very rigid.

The next step:devil:

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
That thing is cool!

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

ease posted:

That thing is cool!

Agreed, very nice indeed.

Are the printed parts made from PLA, though? Don't make my mistake and leave it in the very hot trunk of a black car in the desert. :-) Am presently re-printing with ABS, lesson learned

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey FLIR guys, is this any good?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/26/flir-one-second-gen-thermal-camera/

They mention an android version so maybe it can interface with Multiwii?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Interface with Multiwii, wat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Hey FLIR guys, is this any good?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/26/flir-one-second-gen-thermal-camera/

They mention an android version so maybe it can interface with Multiwii?

They seemingly make military grade FLIRs, so possibly...I can't find any specs on the actual resolution and framerate.
They're also the makers of this:
http://www.flir.com/flirvue/
Which is about as cheap as you'll get a usable FLIR. ($1500+)