Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Does the fire spirit look pained/frustrated/pissed? I just thought it was maybe how fire elementals look? Or maybe it's just thematically got the same face as Annie's mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Roach Warehouse posted:

I'm more inclined to think that this is self-inflicted/ some ploy of Annie's simply because we hadn't seen the fire elemental before. If Anthony new about it/ built this room to contain it, I can't see any reason why it would have been hiding when there was a risk of him coming around.

That last image was great just because there is so many ways that you can interpret it. Though yeah, I think this is part of some plot that Annie is coming up with.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Rotten Cookies posted:

I just thought it was maybe how fire elementals look?

This was my initial impression as well.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Cookies posted:

Does the fire spirit look pained/frustrated/pissed? I just thought it was maybe how fire elementals look? Or maybe it's just thematically got the same face as Annie's mask.

Check the other pages we've seen it in (bone surgery comes to mind as an example) - id pull it up myself but I'm on mobile.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I read it as the equivalent of a lobotomy.

Annie genuinely thinks what just happened 'went well', because the side of her that could feel such things have been literally removed.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I feel like Tony has to know about the elemental. There's no other explanation for this hideously oversized room, and he has complete control over where she lives.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Can we compare the fire elemental's face to Jeanne in this chapter?

It's the same angry face with the lines of the face drawn in towards the middle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Itzena posted:

:speculate:

It's going to be her astral self - she's learnt the ex-fairies' trick of letting her body run on autopilot while her soul goes and has fun in the Forest.

E: Incidentally, that's a serious door she's got going on there.

Nailed it~

I wonder what that girl's up to.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
:monocle:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

Check the other pages we've seen it in (bone surgery comes to mind as an example) - id pull it up myself but I'm on mobile.

Here we go:

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1040
http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1041

Smooth face, no angry lines.

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1532

Clearly angry/in pain.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
She's not hiding the fire spirit from her dad. If he doesn't know all about this, I'd be surprised.

She's hiding it from Kat .

EDIT: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1500

Holy poo poo. She never said what specifically her dad 'didn't' do. She could have been saying, "Kat, he didn't do it to humiliate me."

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 26, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

dragon_pamcake posted:

Holy poo poo. She never said what specifically her dad 'didn't' do. She could have been saying, "Kat, he didn't do it to humiliate me."

This was my interpretation in the first place, I was surprised that anyone read it as "he didn't cut my hair". Annie is in overly literal mode so she seems more likely to be answering the question exactly as asked.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I think this confirms that the Annie walking around is a doppelganger, an aspect of her cut away from the rest, and her true/full personality is imprisoned within that room.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This debate is going to be raging for months before we find out, isn't it. :(

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
I'm seeing this as something Annie did to keep it out of her father's hands, much like giving control of Rey to Kat. The fire elemental side of her spirit is pissed because that's what it is, a raging fire. Even Coyote referenced that Annie's anger comes from there, but Annie is smart enough to realize blazing rage against her father will do her no favors. I'm in support of the long con theory, for sure.

Also, Annie reminds me of Jones in the way she's standing there. She intends to weather this situation like a rock, and be reunited with those she's been cut off from.

Edit:

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

That post went quite well, I think.

Has this been taken yet?

Raposa fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 26, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Annie has simply awakened her Stand, Magician's Red.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm going to say she cut her hair with the Tooth, for any reason already suggested.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

This was a righteous page.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The Mask is on its own, walking and talking like a real person!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I told you about the big room for [fire] activities. I told you dog.

I doubt Anthony did this (lol lobotomy theory goes right up there with MIND CONTROOOOL) if he can't even figure out Renard's deal.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I think it's a little more complicated than separating just the mind and body- it always has been with Annie. It wasn't so long ago she didn't know anything about the fire elemental part of herself, or how to access it, even though it was always here. It isn't her spirit, just a part of it. It's the force her mother gave her and died for.

When her father did...whatever he did, he not only separated the elemental part of herself, he likely did something to the human part left behind. She clearly has her mind and will, but shows some signs of...tampering. Likely the very same thing that happened to himself, intentionally or otherwise. That would explain his behavior change, because even as cold and distant as he is normally, something has made things far more severe. Annie's behavior change matches up pretty well with her fathers, if you take their normal personalities into consideration.

She isn't gone, it's more like her emotions are completely suppressed or excised from her, which is probably what her elemental self represents- the fire she literally got from her mother. Her father probably did this to himself to test to see if it worked, and got hosed up in the process. I have to wonder if his emotive force/spirit is trapped in a room somewhere, or if it died because it isn't strong enough to sustain itself on it's own like his wife and daughter's fire.

We have to go back to remember when he left, and why. He left when his wife died, knowing it was because she was giving her fire(life force) to her daughter. He left to go seek a way to bring his wife back, and so the only possible reason he had to come back was that he figured it out. He has found a way to separate the part that left his wife at great physical and spiritual cost, and now likely intends to somehow bring her back to life. Maybe that's the next step, keep it neutered and contained in that room until he can put everything into action.

On second thought, he might not be trying to bring his wife back to life as much as he is trying to remove the influence of the fire from his family, seeing the cycle of how it is passed along. Maybe he is just trying to save her from what he sees as a terrible fate. Maybe all he has ever wanted was a normal family, and this is the only way he can see this ever coming to pass. Part of me thinks this is rather more likely, as the former Frankenstein-like trope is a bit too simple. There is a bit more credence to this when you remember about the binding he put on that very same spirit earlier- the one Zimmy broke. It might never have been Annie he was trying to control, but the spirit that brought him so much grief and pain.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

RabidWeasel posted:

dragon_pamcake posted:

This was my interpretation in the first place, I was surprised that anyone read it as "he didn't cut my hair". Annie is in overly literal mode so she seems more likely to be answering the question exactly as asked.

Parley: He made you cut your hair?!
Annie: No! He didn't!

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
That doesn't mean he didn't do it himself. The wording's really ambiguous.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Yes, but it does mean Coyote's Tooth probably wasn't involved.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Pretty sure Tony did this, as that's why he put Annie in that big room to begin with.

He's trying to save her life since he knows she'll die eventually when she has a child.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He is trying to stop the thing that killed his wife from killing his daughter, and apparently it's working.... But at what cost!?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

Can we compare the fire elemental's face to Jeanne in this chapter?

It's the same angry face with the lines of the face drawn in towards the middle.

Yes good job you have found the artistic style with which Tom shows "angry".

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

PubicMice posted:

Yes, but it does mean Coyote's Tooth probably wasn't involved.

I didn't say I thought it was?

There are basically two theories of what happened to Antimony here:

1. She did it to herself with Coyote's tooth to protect her fire-self from her dad.

2. Tony did it to her so she wouldn't die when/if she had a child, completing his 'bone scalpel' surgery.

I'm in camp #2 because I feel it explains why she didn't show Kat her cool trick and why the room Antimony's in is so weird. However, I admit there's enough evidence for #1 for it to be a possibility.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Wittgen posted:

This is just not accurate. We've seen short hair Annie display a variety of emotions consistent with her established character and her new circumstances. It's also short hair Annie who transferred Rey over to Kat. That's hardly the action of an empty mask. Whatever the circumstances of this separation, short hair Annie is definitely still Annie.

A ship cut in half is still a ship, and it's a big part of that ship, but forgive me if I don't think it deserves the original's designation.

But yes, "empty mask" is a little harsh and this aspect of her was clearly part of Annie for a long time.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

PubicMice posted:

Parley: He made you cut your hair?!
Annie: No! He didn't!

She also asks Smitface to tell Coyote and Ysengrin to be patient, which sorta seems like there's a plan.

Also the fire elemental in today's page is missing that "crown" they're usually wearing. I almost thought it might just be another fire elemental, but the haircut means it's Annie. Or it's like a solidarity thing and it's a new friend, but that's crazy talk.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

dragon_pamcake posted:

I didn't say I thought it was?

There are basically two theories of what happened to Antimony here:

1. She did it to herself with Coyote's tooth to protect her fire-self from her dad.

2. Tony did it to her so she wouldn't die when/if she had a child, completing his 'bone scalpel' surgery.

I'm in camp #2 because I feel it explains why she didn't show Kat her cool trick and why the room Antimony's in is so weird. However, I admit there's enough evidence for #1 for it to be a possibility.

There's more options - the most important thing we're missing here is a motive. We can safely assume that either Anthony or Antimony did this, but it is a bit early to say why. Well, if it was Anthony it was presumably to save Antimony where he couldn't save Surma. But if the "Anthony is a sadistic freak that wants to out-do Gendo" camp is right it could be for some other reason.

Similarly, you can't say that if Antimony did this she did it to protect the elemental side of her from Anthony. It could be for a hundred other reasons. It could be to ensure she doesn't have an outburst that fails the standard she holds herself up to with regards to her father. It could be going along with Anthony on some other thing (could tie in with #2). It could be something we can't even fathom right now.

Come to think of it I'm curious as to how Antimony appears in the aether now. Also would be nice if the comic actually started answering things instead of just posing more questions. Hopefully the next chapter will.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I'm calling it here, Tony has possessed Annie's body so he can experiment/contain the fire spirit. Either in a bid to protect his daughter in the most hosed-up way possible, get a new body after his got messed up by Zimmy, or use the spirit to try to recall Surma from wherever she went to.

Like I said, buckle in. It's gonna get worse.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

seriously

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

MikeJF posted:

Might have been hiding from Kat.
Kat can't see etheric beings unless they manifest though.

Lurdiak posted:

Nailed it~
:hfive:

Also: Oh. Oh dear. :ohdear:

It's funny that right now "This is something that Tony did to Annie" is actually the better option. Because if Tony did it, there's an relatively close end game (Another adult finds out about it, or Annie collapses showing that ripping out the fire elemental is the same as having a kid, or the elemental side latches on to Zimmy who then breaks out her best punching fist, or even FieryAnnie snaps and burns her way through the Court in a straight line to her father and gives him an instant cremation).

If it's not, then Annie lobotomised herself to keep her dad happy and that not something easily fixed. Not just the literal split personality, but the fact that she's so broken that she thought this was a good idea.

Itzena fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 26, 2015

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

J.A.B.C. posted:

I'm calling it here, Tony has possessed Annie's body so he can experiment/contain the fire spirit. Either in a bid to protect his daughter in the most hosed-up way possible, get a new body after his got messed up by Zimmy, or use the spirit to try to recall Surma from wherever she went to.

Like I said, buckle in. It's gonna get worse.

And I'm taking the other side, that Annie did it to herself, and she has a plan (the long con as another put it). Also by putting this on Tony, who is in the dark about Rey (seemingly set up that way by Annie, perhaps to fool herself?), we are removing Annie's agency just like everyone else in the story--treating her as "stupid". I think she's going to pull this over on everybody.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Annie agrees wholeheartedly with Anthony's plan and is actually taunting the wicked fire elemental by demonstrating that she's fine without it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1503

The "bone spears" were never Tony's. They are of Annie's creation. They are symbolic of her suppression of her passion (i.e. the fire elemental side of her) in order to put on the calm robotic mask that evidently pleases her father (and we know she is desperate for adult approval) which is why they lead to him in the symbolic dreamscape traveled by Zimmy.

That's my reading of it at least.

e. I still do wonder if the elemental is part of her core being or a parasite of some sort

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Itzena posted:

Kat can't see etheric beings unless they manifest though.

She can see them just fine, she just perceive them differently from how Annie does. Evidence: Renard, Mort, Basil (okay, maybe he's no etheric but come on, he's a minotaur from antiquity), the whole ROTD chapter. Yeah she couldn't see psychopomps unless they let her, but I guess it's a psychopomp thing more than a being of the etherium thing. (Annie can see them, but she's partly a psychopomp too.)

Combed Thunderclap posted:

A ship cut in half is still a ship

No, it's a wreck. Well I guess depending on the design and on how the cut is made a catamaran's halves could still float.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 26, 2015

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Cat Mattress posted:

She can see them just fine, she just perceive them differently from how Annie does. Evidence: Renard, Mort, Basil (okay, maybe he's no etheric but come on, he's a minotaur from antiquity), the whole ROTD chapter. Yeah she couldn't see psychopomps unless they let her, but I guess it's a psychopomp thing more than a being of the etherium thing. (Annie can see them, but she's partly a psychopomp too.)
I always took the RotD thing as she could (barely) see everything there because, well, she was there. Outside of that she's always been pretty blind to anything and everything etheric - she's never seen Jeanne, never even visited the Forest, can't use a blinker stone, and only saw Mort because he wanted her to see him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
The general theme with GC is "something horrible and scary turns out to be just fine and/or understandable". See: all of the demons, ghosts, mythical beings, Renard, Ysengrin, Shadow, even Coyote at first. Even the most wicked character of all imho, Diego, is revealed to be a pathetic, regret-filled man at the end of his life.

Whether or not Tony has already meddled with Annie's fire elemental, it's probably going to end up that he is not evil, just doing things in the only way he knows how, and that he will turn out to be alright in the end. I don't even know if there is a true "evil" character in all of GC which is what makes it such a great story - even the baddies have real motivations and are sympathetic characters. We just haven't figured out what makes Tony sympathetic yet.