Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Maybe potatoes could start to displace temperate grain provinces in Europe after colonization of the New World begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Luigi Thirty posted:

Maybe potatoes could start to displace temperate grain provinces in Europe after colonization of the New World begins.

Yeah potatoes were HUGE, ireland's population what, doubled? New world crops had a massive impact on european food production, would be cool to see their effects modeled in some way.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah potatoes were HUGE, ireland's population what, doubled? New world crops had a massive impact on european food production, would be cool to see their effects modeled in some way.
Just like it would be neat to see the Americas with crazy population and development that gets obliterated by the Euros arriving.

That and China being represented better.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Poor Ottoman, their troops were stuck in some lovely arid desert province I gave them when we fought the mamluks. But it is partially their own fault when they declared war on Venice not soon after before getting rid of that province. Sadly Venice settled for a loving white peace despite handily winning the war.

But man what is with this luck that I have to deal with, Castile had no problem forming Spain by inheriting Aragon and Naples, and Austria inherited Burgundy and was one reform away from disallowing internal HRE wars when the reformation hit.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Motherfucker, it was 1510 and I got into a personal union with a humongous Bohemia as Sweden. As soon as I white peaced Austria, my king dies and I lose the union since my prestige was -1. AUUHGH

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

This Poland game is hilarious. Great Britain owns all of the British Isles except for Cornwall. Scotland has been exiled to the Faroe islands. Norway now inhabits Iceland. Muscowy got owned in a war by Sweden and is now divided in half by Perm. :lol:

Maybe if Norway is stuck on Iceland for long enough they should just rename themselves to Iceland.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baronjutter posted:

Ireland's population grew to 9 times its original size during the 1500-1820 period, where most other places seem to have doubled or maybe tripled. Roughly only a sixth of that growth happened before 1700, before that point it basically followed the Netherlands in terms of population growth. Though of course the Netherlands didn't then suffer a massive population collapse from which it has yet to recover.

Bort Bortles posted:

That and China being represented better.
I'm in the process of re-balancing the entire world according to historical population levels/wealth*, and let me tell you, representing China better makes for some insanely developed provinces. Even doubling the number of provinces in the eastern heartland still leaves six provinces at 64 Military Development. I've yet to deal with the others. Will be interesting to see if Ming will leverage this boost into something. I suppose one might have to balance that poo poo at some point, but I do want to see what China and India both being more developed than all of Europe together will do for "history".

*I love the new development system, which sorta encouraged me to simplify poo poo in this regard, which has sped up the process tenfold.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Luigi Thirty posted:

This Poland game is hilarious. Great Britain owns all of the British Isles except for Cornwall. Scotland has been exiled to the Faroe islands. Norway now inhabits Iceland. Muscowy got owned in a war by Sweden and is now divided in half by Perm. :lol:

Maybe if Norway is stuck on Iceland for long enough they should just rename themselves to Iceland.

It's almost certainly excessively ambitious for glorified flavour, but it would be cool if rump and exile nations could tag switch for situations like that. You could give them claims/cores/cbs to restore their former territory and switch back.

It is sorta jarring when Great Britain is at war with a chain of Caribbean Islands called "England". That or when Georgia spends most of a campaign as an OPM in Theodoro, with unaccepted Gothic culture and heathen Sunni religion. I'd mod a save-file or something except I'm a giant nerd and I like to play on Iron Man.

I've also been seeing a lot of sad sack Muscovys lately. Watching them lose over and over has inspired me to try another Russia game, which I haven't done since like 1.6. It's hilarious watching what happens in the Russian power vacuum. Still, while it's good to see more variation in outcomes Russia should probably form at least a small majority of the time. Also a big strong Russia makes for a good end-game boss if France/Ottomans/HRE haven't proven sufficient on their own.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Frontspac posted:

It's almost certainly excessively ambitious for glorified flavour, but it would be cool if rump and exile nations could tag switch for situations like that. You could give them claims/cores/cbs to restore their former territory and switch back.

It is sorta jarring when Great Britain is at war with a chain of Caribbean Islands called "England". That or when Georgia spends most of a campaign as an OPM in Theodoro, with unaccepted Gothic culture and heathen Sunni religion. I'd mod a save-file or something except I'm a giant nerd and I like to play on Iron Man.

I've also been seeing a lot of sad sack Muscovys lately. Watching them lose over and over has inspired me to try another Russia game, which I haven't done since like 1.6. It's hilarious watching what happens in the Russian power vacuum. Still, while it's good to see more variation in outcomes Russia should probably form at least a small majority of the time. Also a big strong Russia makes for a good end-game boss if France/Ottomans/HRE haven't proven sufficient on their own.

My Lucca game ended with Tver forming Russia and devouring Finland. They probably had a better game as an AI opm then I did.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah my Poland game somehow de-ironmaned around when I formed the Commonwealth. Muscovy is weird now, their provinces are all dirt poor and they're military pushovers. In this game they haven't been able to make any progress toward the Crimea or Caucasus because of Nogai. They swallowed the Russian minors and expanded east but they are so unstable they're basically in permanent revolution with 0 manpower to back up their standing army in the 1540s.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah my Poland game somehow de-ironmaned around when I formed the Commonwealth. Muscovy is weird now, their provinces are all dirt poor and they're military pushovers. In this game they haven't been able to make any progress toward the Crimea or Caucasus because of Nogai. They swallowed the Russian minors and expanded east but they are so unstable they're basically in permanent revolution with 0 manpower to back up their standing army in the 1540s.
Aside from moving "The Time of Troubles" fifty years prior to when they happened in history, that is actually pretty accurate to history I think. Russia was still abutted by both Kazan, Crimea and Astrakhan at that time, having not succeeded in much more than uniting the core Russian lands. Of course the Russia in your game might not manage to achieve much more than it already has, unlike our Russia.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Back in EU3, if you started in the Revolutionary France start, some islands in the carribean would inevitably become the great state of (Ancien Regime) France.

Not that anyone ever used later starts.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

PleasingFungus posted:

by the time you have 1000 development, you've won. who cares what happens at emperor rank, from a 'balance' perspective?

A fair few countries start the game on King rank, even small ones.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Guys no one tell Wiz so he doesn't nerf it, but Protestant is a real loving good religion. The 3 aspects are super OP and you get enough church power to basically always be at 200, which means you can pick and choose stuff like the idea cost bonus just for when you need it. And you can still royally marry all of Europe. It's probably the MVP of my Kongo run so far, outside of my super lucky start.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

THE BAR posted:

A fair few countries start the game on King rank, even small ones.

Ethiopia starts as an Empire. Didn't try Byzantium but I think they do too?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Ok are enemy forts that you're occupying or have taken not supposed to exert ZoC on the original owner's units if you're still at war? Because if they are there's definitely at least an occasional bug with them. I thought I might've seen it during a war earlier but wasn't sure, but while being at war with the Ottomans I watched three of their armies just casually walk right by 4 of their previously-owned forts that I took off them. They then proceeded to siege and take back some of their old territory next to one of their taken forts and it 'stuck' as being theirs even after they left despite my controlled fort being active and next to said province.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, taking enemy forts does nothing but disable them and make that province harder to retake. They don't actually work for you.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Huh I guess that makes sense. I always tend to play pretty aggressively/offensively so I'm not surprised I didn't notice it or see it happening clearly until now. I guess all those times I thought the forts were blocking movement the AI was just sitting still or retaking the fort anyway.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

aeglus posted:

Ethiopia starts as an Empire. Didn't try Byzantium but I think they do too?

Yep. And Ottos get it automatically when they take the decision to move capital.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How does "pulse" compare to "MTTH"?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I would rather Kingdoms not get a free diplomat, just when Aristocratic is looking appealing and Influence not being picked over Diplomatic for almost every single game

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Pulse just fires off once every certain number of years, MTTH is essentially if the conditions are true, how long will it take for there to be a 50% chance of the event having fired.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm playing an Ironman Ottomans game and I'm in the early 1700s. I got stymied hard by a super stable Lithuania that expanded fast and made some powerful allies, and which was also constantly protected by a strong Papal State encompassing almost all of Italy. The biggest pain has been Poland, and I've never been able to expand into Europe beyond some very opportunistic wars against Hungary or occasionally Venice. Well, I got the greatest chance I'll have to take central Asia from Lithuania and I've run into a problem.

Any reason why it's freaking out like that? They definitely shouldn't be accepting that call.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So, first time playing in maybe 3 months... totally different game. I'm so lost when it comes to deciding when , where and if to develop provinces.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

ZombieLenin posted:

So, first time playing in maybe 3 months... totally different game. I'm so lost when it comes to deciding when , where and if to develop provinces.

Gold province: can upgrade with dip points up to 10, then you risk losing your investment. Massive, massive return.

Otherwise just stick adm points on the cheapest spot that gives the most money if you have extra points. I'd say get at least .1 per point (around Italy you can get more like .14-.18 and try to spend under 70. If you don't start as Western then ignore development. New patch will change things for the better.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

1) When you're ahead of time in whatever type of tech and are still about to hit the points cap in that same type, plus don't have any ideas. Basically development is
2) Either wherever's cheapest or wherever it makes most sense. For production (diplo) that means whatever makes the most money via trade goods (gold > most new world/tropical stuff/copper > iron/salt > other stuff, roughly speaking). Don't go above 10 production for gold because otherwise you start getting a monthly chance that the production will get halved, to stop people just upgrading their gold mine endlessly. For base tax (admin) generally that means wherever you have a temple, although your capital gives a boost to it too so it'll be more valuable there than elsewhere. For manpower, wherever's dirt cheap, with goods of as little value as possible, and has a barracks. That's pretty min-maxy though, you can basically just mash buttons and still do fine.
3) Same as (1), I guess? Worth holding off on development (or only doing a little) if you're about to get a new tech level.

Basically it's at the bottom of the pile for value. It's just a point sink for nations that hit the points cap often (which is basically the western tech group, and occasionally eastern/Ottos).

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Just encountered a bug with releasing nations as part of a peace deal. I was peacing out Poland-Lithuania separately from a war and as part of the peace deal I wanted them to release some nation (don't remember the name) that has provinces in both Poland and Lithuania. The map mode that shows which provinces will be released highlighted all of them. However, when the peace was declared only the provinces located within Lithuania were released while the ones in Poland (the majority of them :() remained part of Poland.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Finished my first Common Sense game and my first HRE run. Started as Bavaria.

Time for something more interesting. Maybe a Tengri Mongol thing.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So another development question. I've noticed there is now a cap on buildings per province. Does raising development make this cap go up?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

So another development question. I've noticed there is now a cap on buildings per province. Does raising development make this cap go up?

Yes, one slot for every 10 levels of development. Affected by terrain (farmlands gets +2 available slots, grasslands and something else (forget what) gets +1 available slot).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wiz, since you're working on a patch, can you make it default (so we don't have to edit common/countries/*.txt) to have army/fleet names auto-set by the province they are created in? Right now, changing that means changing the checksum, which is fine for a single player mod, but breaks everything else.

Just adding these to every country file that doesn't already have a $PROVINCE$ definition in it would do the trick.

army_names = {
"Army of $PROVINCE$"
}
fleet_names = {
"$PROVINCE$ Fleet"
}

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ZombieLenin posted:

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Buildings

quote:

Starting with the Common Sense DLC each building now requires one free building slot. Some buildings can be upgraded as technology advances. These upgraded buildings don't require an additional slot. The amount of slots a province provides is mostly influenced by terrain and total development of the province:[1]

• +1 for being a city
  • +2 if terrain is farmlands
  • +1 if terrain is grasslands
  • +1 if terrain is drylands
  • +0.1 * total development of province, rounded down
  • -2 if non-core
Example: Paris
Total province development is 28, which gives (28 * 0.1 = 2.8 -> rounded down to 2) 2 additional building slots.
Paris = 1 (city) + 2 (farmlands) + 2 (total province development) = 5

The maximum amount of building slots a city can have is 16, although there are only 10 possible categories of buildings.[2]

Having a lower possible number of buildings than the number of buildings that are already there (because you just conquered it) does not destroy buildings, but it does prevent the construction of any new ones.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Anyone else had Bohemia beating Austria every game since CE dropped? I've played four starts to around 1550-1600 and in each one the Czechs have swiftly (like, in the 1450s or 60s) gained the empire and started wailing on the poor innocent Habsburgs. Seems like those couple of extra provinces really supercharged them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah, Bohemia gets the emperorship and never gives it up now where Austria would hold it until the end of time previously. I can't speak to Bohemian aggression against Austria since part of my Poland strategy has been to ally with Austria.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fuligin posted:

the poor innocent Habsburgs
The Habsburgs are never innocent :colbert:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Holy mackerel @ some of these patch notes:

quote:

# War
- Will now sortie against weak rebel stacks.
- Fixed a bug where the AI would not gather newly built armies due to incorrectly calculating moves as unsafe
- Will now build more transports.
- Will now retreat from naval combats that it is clearly losing.
- Less interested in launching naval invasions of minor allies in a war, especially if those minor allies are out of supply range.
- Should now avoid walking into provinces that are effectively suicide because of natives.
- Fixed a bug where the AI would ignore other countries' units when considering whether a province had enough supply limit for them, under certain circumstances.
- Fixed a bug where the AI would consider the strength of attached units when calculating relative power to another country (leading to increased LD, etc).
- Fixed a bug where the AI would not look at the size of attached units when considering whether a province had too low supply limit for their army

Full list: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/beta-patch-1-13-full-patchnotes.866143/

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't think I've seen Bohemia get the Imperial title once in CS. It is always Hesse for me.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

GSD posted:

Don't think I've seen Bohemia get the Imperial title once in CS. It is always Hesse for me.

I've only played one CS game, but Saxony took the emperorship from Austria in that game, and held it till I won the league war, then they converted and retook the imperial throne.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
in my current game Saxony took the emperor-ship then the reformation happened and it got broken by protestant rebels so it reverted to Austria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

quote:

- Countries on a different continent than the current Emperor are no longer eligible to be Emperor.
Rip kongo vs mutapa 1v1 30 year war.

quote:

- Subject Forcelimits Contribution was changed to Vassal Forcelimit Contribution, and only increases land force limits from vassals & marches. Numbers were increased to compensate.
Isn't this already the case? Hovering over my force limits shows me +2 from every vassal/march and none from my PU's / colonial nations.

quote:

# Technology
- Chinese & Indian tech groups now start at tech 3.
- Development & Administrative efficiency is now gained 20% at a time around 1630, 1700 and 1760, for a total of 60% (up from 50%).
Nice.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 26, 2015

• Locked thread