Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
please don't respond to d-list stymie #2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I haven't heard anything about GG in like a year. Is it still about a bunch of nerds angry that girls are playing with and/or making fun of their toys?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadoer posted:

Yeah criticism is one thing and fine, legislation to enforce things on art would be. Unless I miss understood what was meant by "legislation to change things."

Still, what's so hard about just making art with these "progressive views"? Right now it's the easiest it's ever been to create art and reach a vast number of people and it's cheaper too.

so which legislation currently being debated on the state and federal level re: regulating content in video games bothers you the most?

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Powercrazy posted:

If you like that you would really get a kick out of the menkampf plugin http://menkampf.com/.

you're a crazy person

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

I did see that, and you're still a loving idiot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pblj3JHF-Jo Here is marketing material for Call of Duty Black Ops where three women are shown in it. Do you really want to still continue arguing that Call of Duty is only marketed towards men??? REALLY??

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so you're upset about twitter slapfights
This is the Gamergate thread, everybody is upset about twitter slapfights.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I said come in! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pblj3JHF-Jo Here is marketing material for Call of Duty Black Ops where three women are shown in it. Do you really want to still continue arguing that Call of Duty is only marketed towards men??? REALLY??

Point to where I said the only target and not the primary target, champ

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

INH5 posted:

Do you know this from experience, or are you just assuming that no good HOPA games have ever been made because girl stuff has cooties?

My mom and sister both love them and thier devices are littered with different hidden object games and they really are all identical. Amazingly theyre almost all missing any sort of narrative outside of a text splash or two, introducing actual characters into these games seems like the logical next step. Thats not to say there arent characters or dialouge but theyre mostly window dressing, much like game mechanics are for the artgame crew or RPG levelup mechanics are for the multiplayer FPS scene.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Fabricated posted:

please don't respond to d-list stymie #2

You really need to be more specific itt

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Point to where I said the only target and not the primary target, champ

Doesn't loving matter. You're moving the goal posts now that you are shown to be wrong.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think you're talking past me a bit. So suppose the Kyle Rayner gets a black sidekick. Then months or years down the line when they decide he's going to retire, or change into a different hero, or die like all the green lantern iterations before him the pass the torch to this black sidekick. Would you have problem with that?

edit: Well I apparently haven't been keeping up with DC comics enough. Apparently they already something like this but in a way that looks really dumb.

No, not really, but I think it's a shallow and ultimately exclusionary path to take because the black sidekick won't be Green Lantern forever and the time you spent shoehorning him into an already existing IP could have been better used developing his own IP. Rebooting characters is treading water, not moving forward in any meaningful way.

Take Female Thor, for example. An entirely cynical ploy to sell comics to a certain crowd that ended up selling about the same amount of books as previous Thor installments that actually conflicts with the already hugely popular Thor and Avengers movie properties. Norse mythology is full of strong women characters that could have warranted their own book alongside Thor instead of some weakly written flash in the pan bullshit that calls out to internet memes. It's not like male Thor is never coming back, and shoehorning the current female character into his boots has done little or nothing to develop her in any way except being the latest iteration of Thor.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

many johnnys posted:

you're a crazy person

you use a plugin that replaces words, why?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

Doesn't loving matter. You're moving the goal posts now that you are shown to be wrong.

i dont know why you're arguing with a guy that doesn't exist

don't respond to me as i'm nonexistent either

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

so which legislation currently being debated on the state and federal level re: regulating content in video games bothers you the most?

I don't know, it was your quote I was responding to.

*legislation to change things about to pass* this is the wrong way to do things! people should work within the free market system instead!

*people pressure companies to meet political goals* this is the wrong way to do things! people should work within the free market system instead by creating their own content!

Like did I misunderstand what you meant with the context of "people pressure companies to meet political goals"

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
*sighs and then reluctantly votes the thread at a 2*

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

i dont know why you're arguing with a guy that doesn't exist

don't respond to me as i'm nonexistent either

I'm actually glad it turns out i'm talking to myself, because I can't believe some of the people in this thread actually exist.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

natetimm posted:

Take Female Thor, for example. An entirely cynical ploy to sell comics to a certain crowd that ended up selling about the same amount of books as previous Thor installments that actually conflicts with the already hugely popular Thor and Avengers movie properties. Norse mythology is full of strong women characters that could have warranted their own book alongside Thor instead of some weakly written flash in the pan bullshit that calls out to internet memes. It's not like male Thor is never coming back, and shoehorning the current female character into his boots has done little or nothing to develop her in any way except being the latest iteration of Thor.

so this is about defending the integrity of decades old comic book hero plotlines, and resisting cynical cash grabs?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Yes we know, every woman in video games are sexualised because they fit into somebody fetish in one way or another.

That is the only reason women exist.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I think people are only upset when twitter spills out into the real world. "Shirtgate" and "dongles" for example. That one professor that got fired for twitting in support of palistine, etc.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadoer posted:

Like did I misunderstand what you meant with the context of "people pressure companies to meet political goals"

yes, it appears as though you did

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Now that Hellthread is in the gas chamber I suddenly want a hellcrew gangtag.

But serious question that I've never seen a proper answer for: hellthread was about making fun of both GG and aGG, why did that make people mad? Why are you mad now?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Anita needs to make that clear then. Both her and McIntosh pretend the FemFreq Twitter account is all Anita's.

Eh she doesn't have to do this. She probably should drop that zero and find a hero/heroine though.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I'm more fascinated that while I looked away from social media somehow the left wing progressives which I always supported and still do gave such huge prominence to these bizarre, extremist puritanical weirdos. Gamergate is of no consequence since nobody respected gamers and still doesn't, but seeing these censorious assholes go mud-wrestle with channers and lose is really fun to watch. I'm kind of worried sane feminism and progressivism took a lot of image damage thanks to these idiots but the louder and crazier they get the sooner they'll go the way of PETA.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I said come in! posted:

How did you prove me wrong? You said that CoD isn't targeted towards men in particular, I called you an idiot, and then you kept saying the same thing insisting that repeating yourself was proof. When I pointed out that you were making up what I was saying, you claimed I was shifting the goalposts.

gently caress yourself

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bholder posted:

Yes we know, every woman in video games are sexualised because they fit into somebody fetish in one way or another.

That is basically what some people in this thread are saying, yes. To those saying that, how does it feel to live your life not able to respect women, but instead be deathly afraid of them?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Shadoer posted:

Probably, but thing is that type and arguably others aren't that explored in games. Movies and TV shows more so with the whole "Girl Next Door" trope.

... okay? So are you saying in the original Japanese she was constantly trying to seduce you or something?

Cause I'm pretty sure in the FF7 sexualization race Tifa wins.

She's constantly flirting with Cloud even in the translation. Tifa has a more sexual costume, but Aerith is the character that is most sexual overall. (In the remake, this will shift because we can see less stylized designs all the time instead of in the few FMVs.)

Bholder posted:

Why are female characters sexualized, then, guy who intimates he's a woman but never actually commits to saying it?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

punakone posted:

But serious question that I've never seen a proper answer for: hellthread was about making fun of both GG and aGG, why did that make people mad? Why are you mad now?

Some people buy into the propaganda that SJWs are out to steal thier videogames or that GGers are getting ready to 'level up' and start kidnapping women. So if you talk poo poo about one/the other then youre a demon. Or if you dont take sides then you obviously must be a demon. Or if you disparage Gamergate to be just a twitter flamewar of no consequence you obviously are in leauge with the opposition and are a demon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Their presence on Twitter is just endless complaining about how every single video game is problematic. They wait around for the next big video game release and then they trash the game with awful opinions that are never accurate.

This sort of represents the fundamental misunderstanding that people who use words like "SJW" and "tumblr" repeatedly have regarding media criticism, which is that pointing out its issues is "trashing" it or there is a call for it all to be thrown into the garbage. It is particularly funny that Sarkeesian is such a focus of this disdain, given that she explicitly opens literally every video with an acknowledgement that it's possible, and even necessary, to be critical of a work's more pernicious aspects and still enjoy it.

There is of course the other extreme, where people are so incapable of accepting different interpretations of the levels of sexism in a work that they scream at Joss Whedon until he is run off of Twitter, but far more common is the idea that if we ever acknowledge or discuss any problem, we hate the thing that we're talking about, leading to paragraphs long choruses of "Why are we even discussing this?" (often before the topic even comes up).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"CoD is primarily targeted towards, designed, and marketed with men in mind"

"BUt women play it too!"

B does not negate A you loving simpleton

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Totalizator posted:

I'm more fascinated that while I looked away from social media somehow the left wing progressives which I always supported and still do gave such huge prominence to these bizarre, extremist puritanical weirdos. Gamergate is of no consequence since nobody respected gamers and still doesn't, but seeing these censorious assholes go mud-wrestle with channers and lose is really fun to watch. I'm kind of worried sane feminism and progressivism took a lot of image damage thanks to these idiots but the louder and crazier they get the sooner they'll go the way of PETA.

the most important civil rights issue of our time: tumblrites vs. channers

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Powercrazy posted:

you use a plugin that replaces words, why?

it's a funny plugin because the only people who go on about "SJW" stuff are weirdos and dummies, and also skeletons are inherently silly. whereas suggesting a plugin that replaces "men" with nazis and stuff I have no idea what you were even trying to do

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

so this is about defending the integrity of decades old comic book hero plotlines, and resisting cynical cash grabs?

Creating new IPs instead of tearing down and rebooting old ones is the best thing for almost everyone involved except the small group of people who feel like they are sticking it to someone when an old character gets rebooted for political reasons. It's one of the big reasons comics is dying - nobody is allowed to actually create anymore because of corporate homogeneity. Think about it. What would benefit diversity more: New artists writing new and diverse IPs to supplement and operate alongside the old ones, or the continual reboot of old product with a slightly new coat of paint for the purpose of trolling internet reactionaries one way or the other?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

That is basically what some people in this thread are saying, yes. To those saying that, how does it feel to live your life not able to respect women, but instead be deathly afraid of them?

"Respect women"?

I can't decide if this, or the part where people declared that Chun-li was created to appeal to lesbians, is the funniest part of this thread, in a gallows-humor way.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

punakone posted:

My theory, personally, is that far too many people were making fun of aGG and not enough people were making fun of GG, which required the mods to step in and handle the situation.

Now balance has been achieved.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

"CoD is primarily targeted towards, designed, and marketed with men in mind"

"BUt women play it too!"

B does not negate A you loving simpleton

My favorite part was when he acknowledged that advertisers target specific demographics all the time and didn't connect this to video game advertisers targeting specific demographics.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

natetimm posted:

Creating new IPs instead of tearing down and rebooting old ones is the best thing for almost everyone involved except the small group of people who feel like they are sticking it to someone when an old character gets rebooted for political reasons. It's one of the big reasons comics is dying - nobody is allowed to actually create anymore because of corporate homogeneity. Think about it. What would benefit diversity more: New artists writing new and diverse IPs to supplement and operate alongside the old ones, or the continual reboot of old product with a slightly new coat of paint for the purpose of trolling internet reactionaries one way or the other?

so the nature of capitalism to consume itself for a buck is actually liberals fault, for because they hate male nerds?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How did you prove me wrong? You said that CoD isn't targeted towards men in particular, I called you an idiot, and then you kept saying the same thing insisting that repeating yourself was proof. When I pointed out that you were making up what I was saying, you claimed I was shifting the goalposts.

gently caress yourself

Hahah, I didn't make up anything. You said video games are only ever targeted towards men. The burden of proof is on you at that point, and I ended up doing the research for you, which was 5 seconds of work, and shot down your dumb as poo poo argument that has no basis in reality. If these games were targeting men then it would show that. All you're doing is repeating a commonly held belief, which does not make it true, and then you're riding my rear end for repeating myself? I have to repeat myself because you're not smart enough to get the message the first time.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

computer parts posted:

The Confederate flag is not targeted towards whites because I know some black dudes that wear it too.

You know Kanye?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bedlamdan posted:

My theory, personally, is that far too many people were making fun of aGG and not enough people were making fun of GG, which required the mods to step in and handle the situation.

Now balance has been achieved.

The problem here is that GG doesnt have any real people to mock outside of Milo Yianopolous and I guess that one Moldbuggian guy since its an anonymous movement.

Meanwhile everyone on the anti side is posting about this poo poo with thier real names and theyre easier to mock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

Hahah, I didn't make up anything. You said video games are only ever targeted towards men. The burden of proof is on you at that point, and I ended up doing the research for you, which was 5 seconds of work, and shot down your dumb as poo poo argument that has no basis in reality. If these games were targeting men then it would show that. All you're doing is repeating a commonly held belief, which does not make it true, and then you're riding my rear end for repeating myself? I have to repeat myself because you're not smart enough to get the message the first time.

please dont ride this goons rear end, sir

• Locked thread