Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Credit rewards are way down too. I would be in the hole if not for the free 3 million credits from rank rewards, and I have not been buying upgrades or captain retraining.

I hope people do not give up on the game. Shooting botes is still fun despite Wargaming going overboard on the grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Any news of War Thunder/Gaijin's version of boats yet?
(Yes, I'm already burned out with Wargaming's grindy progression in .40.)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

M.C. McMic posted:

edit: Does smoke follow your ship or is it stationary once you activate it?
You leave a stationary trail of it. Pop it when you're almost fully facing away from what's trying to kill you. You can also use it to draw a line a smoke in front of your teammates to hide them from fire and sometimes annoy them, which is the better result.

It's hilarious how pubbies react to you hiding in your own cloud. Many react like you've somehow managed to remove your ship from the game entirely and lose their focus to go tunnelvision something else. One of the best ways to get close to an approaching battleship is to pop smoke and stay mostly in one position behind it. Then when they're ~4km or so away, set your engines to full first, then shotgun your torps, and then wait for someone to complain that torpedoes are still too powerful and carriers (yes, carriers) need to be nerfed again.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
The grind is loving awful because its not like tanks where you can avoid damage by playing well and just crush bad pubbies failing to pen your armor.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

You leave a stationary trail of it. Pop it when you're almost fully facing away from what's trying to kill you. You can also use it to draw a line a smoke in front of your teammates to hide them from fire and sometimes annoy them, which is the better result.

It's hilarious how pubbies react to you hiding in your own cloud. Many react like you've somehow managed to remove your ship from the game entirely and lose their focus to go tunnelvision something else. One of the best ways to get close to an approaching battleship is to pop smoke and stay mostly in one position behind it. Then when they're ~4km or so away, set your engines to full first, then shotgun your torps, and then wait for someone to complain that torpedoes are still too powerful and carriers (yes, carriers) need to be nerfed again.
If you go full speed in your destroyer, you will often not be covered by your smoke because you outpace the rate that the blanket covers you. Set your speed to 3/4 and you can drive around with smoke on and not be seen. You can even test it with the 6th sense commander skill - go full speed and your orange spotted indicator will blink on and off, go 3/4 and it will stay off.

cheese fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 26, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Krogort posted:

drat Wargaming, as if tripling the XP cost of everything wasn't enough, they halso nerfed the XP reward by a good half.
The grind to decent ships will be awful and I will probably burnout from this game before I reach T7.

The good ships are tiers 1-3 :ssh:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Stanley Pain posted:

The good ships are tiers 1-3 :ssh:

Lies, all the angled smokestack cruisers are high tier. And that's the most important factor.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
The most expensive modifications for the Tier IV Arkansas Beta are 2m credits lol.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Velius posted:

Lies, all the angled smokestack cruisers are high tier. And that's the most important factor.

Its the proto car spoiler, just need some Type R, shocker, and NOS stickers.
e: and a system with some broke rear end subs

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 26, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

cheese posted:

The most expensive modifications for the Tier IV Arkansas Beta are 2m credits lol.

The Arkansas gets all the upgrade slots, including those that normally only T9 and T10 ships get.

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 26, 2015

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Still dosent make it good though.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Crash74 posted:

Still dosent make it good though.
You know what ship is also not good? The Kawachi. Sub 9km range on guns - you get outranged by cruisers lol.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
God the Iwaki alpha feels like a tub of poo poo now. I don't remember the steering being shot to poo poo every other time something hits it? It would not be so bad if the repairs did not take an eternity. If you get hit, 95% chance the steering will be knocked out and if you repair then RIP because next hit you will likely be dead in the water with no repair.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

cheese posted:

You know what ship is also not good? The Kawachi. Sub 9km range on guns - you get outranged by cruisers lol.

You get utterly picked apart by fire vomiting St. Louis every battle in the Kawachi right now

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

You get utterly picked apart by fire vomiting St. Louis every battle in the Kawachi right now

I'm pretty sure I saw that all the time in closed beta. Both of the babby battleships are and have always been awful poo poo.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

El Disco posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw that all the time in closed beta. Both of the babby battleships are and have always been awful poo poo.
The myogi is a HUGE upgrade at tier IV. Much better.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

So I seem to have a Murmansk with a 3 skill captain and 3k more gold than before.

Not bad at all.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
someone at wg apparently decided giving away free poo poo is better than letting this linger; + 1 murmansk, 3 slots and 6k gold upon logging in today

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
Gobs of gold now and the only premium I wanted was the Murmansk, so now with 11.5k in the bank thanks to this kerfluffle I'm debating Atago, Warspite or Atlanta. The Atago looks like a spaceship, which helps!

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Jack_tripper posted:

someone at wg apparently decided giving away free poo poo is better than letting this linger; + 1 murmansk, 3 slots and 6k gold upon logging in today

Did you already own the murmansk?

I got the ship, but no gold, or slots.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm thinking Atago AND Atlanta. I love cruisers.

Fake Edit: Something went wrong with the purchase, I'll try again later.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I activated the Murmansk code, but didn't buy any gold, and so far I have no Murmansk nor gold. :shrug:
I do have six slots (minus the alpha and beta boats) but I don't know what the standard was.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Question: Is the Myogi's turret rotation speed indicative of all Japanese BB's? Because if so, I think i need to stop right now :/

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Jack_tripper posted:

I also got 6k gold along with 3 slots and a Murmansk, kinda owns.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

jownzy posted:

nope, I never had any dubloons either since I'll have plenty of tanks gold once that merges; seems kind of random how they're handing stuff out

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

cheese posted:

Question: Is the Myogi's turret rotation speed indicative of all Japanese BB's? Because if so, I think i need to stop right now :/

45sec is pretty much the standard for IJN BBs with fast turrets. 50-55 is average for slow or non-upgraded ones. The two extremes are 40 sec on Izumo and 72 seconds on Yamato. Learning to rotate your guns into position before entering the fight is one of the fundamental skills for BBs - if you have to switch quickly during a fight, it often makes more sense to turn the entire ship around to help along.

Numismancer posted:

Gobs of gold now and the only premium I wanted was the Murmansk, so now with 11.5k in the bank thanks to this kerfluffle I'm debating Atago, Warspite or Atlanta. The Atago looks like a spaceship, which helps!

Atago is pretty funny. She's got less RoF on her 8-inchers and is a bigger target compared to Myoko and Mogami, but she's also tougher and has the same torps as Mogami with way bette firing arcs.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
Oh wow, they just removed the 6k gold and slots they'd given out, that's a ham-handed move.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Numismancer posted:

Oh wow, they just removed the 6k gold and slots they'd given out, that's a ham-handed move.
lol :rip: guess I should've spent it when I had the chance

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Numismancer posted:

it's amazing how they can bungle giving out free poo poo

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I still don't have my ship or any gold?!

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
How can they gently caress up a donation drive enticement this badly?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Numismancer posted:

Impressive. They must be actively trying to piss people off.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Trying the JP line this time, having non-poo poo torps should be a nice surprise.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Prav posted:

Impressive. They must be actively trying to piss people off.

I don't know, for that it's comparatively easier to believe that Wargaming America is just that incompetent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

jownzy posted:

Same here. No extra gold. Oh well - didn't really need it, and if they mix the gold piles I'll be sitting on something close to 36k.

Magni posted:

Atago is pretty funny. She's got less RoF on her 8-inchers and is a bigger target compared to Myoko and Mogami, but she's also tougher and has the same torps as Mogami with way bette firing arcs.

I'm also on the fence between the Atago and Atlanta. I'm guessing the Atago is going to see T10s way more often, but it can seemingly book like a destroyer, and its guns have hilarious firing arcs. I guess it comes down to crew training and the fact that the Japanese have ships worth playing on all lines, whereas the US really just have cruisers, carriers, and good battleships only when you hit T8+.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 27, 2015

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Woodchip posted:

Trying the JP line this time, having non-poo poo torps should be a nice surprise.

It's great fun right until you get the Mutsuki.

cheese posted:

Pretty sure it's more or less typical for all BBs on both sides except Yamato (which is even worse so yeah if you hate it that much maybe IJN isn't for you)?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Scikar posted:

Pretty sure it's more or less typical for all BBs on both sides except Yamato (which is even worse so yeah if you hate it that much maybe IJN isn't for you)?
Is this significantly worse than US BB's? I actually think I have the hang of it a bit now that I've got some games in. Definitely helps to start turning you turrets way before you need to.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
It is not significantly worse than US battleships. If you are unsure of IJN battleships, you will not like US ones. They are shorter range and less accurate until the upper tiers.

But anticipating turns is required for most ships in the game except US destroyers.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

cheese posted:

Is this significantly worse than US BB's? I actually think I have the hang of it a bit now that I've got some games in. Definitely helps to start turning you turrets way before you need to.

Locking them with Ctrl+X is also useful if you need to look around for anything.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
My friends.. this is how you Atago! Banzai!!!!

Yes, this is a full-size screencap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

cheese posted:

Actually I forgot the stock Myogi has slow guns. The gun upgrade is part of the hull upgrades now so you'll notice it's faster after that. The US ones are all 45 seconds for 180 degrees except New Mexico and Colorado at 60. The IJN ones tend to be slower stock but faster when upgraded.