Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

bowmore posted:

played Imperial Assault tonight, drat that game is pretty loving hard

Hello friend, I played it with 2 others and a DM and we lost our first mission too. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

Hello friend, I played it with 2 others and a DM and we lost our first mission too. :)
We had 3 and the DM, we lost the intro mission and the first side mission

but we managed to scrape a win on the first story mission! good thing because everyone was feeling a bit defeated after the two losses

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is dead of winter fun? Is there a game like king of tokyo but w/o players getting eliminated from the game?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

sonatinas posted:

New Mage Knight expansion rules are up:http://wizkids.com/rules/MK3_Rulebook%20Final%20Resized%204.21.pdf

Lots of fun new stuff to do!
a 4/4 swift elusive green enemy what the shitfuck?

Otherwise, looks pretty cool.

Jedit posted:

I think you mean RGG.

I do. I have a vague feeling FFG suck at this too, but RGG is the one we're talking about.

I find it immensely frustrating to see this all going on because I loved playing Dominion on Iso, and my group never wants to play it in person. Goko/Funsockets/Making Fun (they've all sort of merged into one giant shitfest now) have totally killed that. I got a bit optimistic when MF took over and promised to more-or-less rebuild it from the ground up, but that was dashed when they released the same poo poo in a new package, and proved to have the same disturbing misunderstandings of security.

I don't know the full ins and outs of the politics behind why DougZ didn't want to develop the commercial software, but it's clear that he didn't; he was offered it first and declined. What baffles me is why he didn't offer the Iso code to the actual developers. AFAICT it would have cost him basically nothing to do so, and starting with a functional code base means you can much more easily tack on whatever shiny poo poo you want, and Iso already had ALL the features us massive nerds want, including but not limited to connectivity with a GIANT database of games and performance, logging, automatch features, a ranking system, etc etc etc. Of course, running it all requires competent staff, which is pretty evidently the problem...

The whole mess just seems to be an example of a predatory license buyer conning the poo poo out of RGG and RGG going full balls-out sunk costs fallacy in trying to make that work out.

Goko/Funsockets bought a whole bunch of other licenses too, as I understand it, and haven't done anything with any of them, so I guess they probably reverted to their owners at some point.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Turtlicious posted:

Is dead of winter fun?
The general consensus here is that no, it's a bad game. It does some things well, but overall misses the mark in a lot of ways (hidden roles are poorly handled, the "staple feature" of Crossroad cards of super underwhelming, etc.).

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a game like king of tokyo but w/o players getting eliminated from the game?
...Yahtzee?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Turtlicious posted:

Is dead of winter fun? Is there a game like king of tokyo but w/o players getting eliminated from the game?

Like all Plaid Hat Games, there are some good ideas, and it's certainly a catchy concept, but basically it falls apart as a game suffering from not enough development.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Dead of Winter is a Bad Game™, but it can still be Fun™. It really depends on what you want to get out of it. If you want meaningful decisions with predictable outcomes and tight balance and mechanics, you're gonna have a bad time with it. If you want to shoot some zombies with some friends and laugh about that time Big Large McManly went out into the snow and fell over a log and got frostbitten to death, you're gonna have a good time. It's a story generator more than a game basically.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Turtlicious posted:

I know it's not what you asked, but King of New York is like King of Tokyo but just plain better.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

BonHair posted:

Dead of Winter is a Bad Game™, but it can still be Fun™. It really depends on what you want to get out of it. If you want meaningful decisions with predictable outcomes and tight balance and mechanics, you're gonna have a bad time with it. If you want to shoot some zombies with some friends and laugh about that time Big Large McManly went out into the snow and fell over a log and got frostbitten to death, you're gonna have a good time. It's a story generator more than a game basically.

I think it's more feasible as a game without traitors, but still keeping with secret objectives for the truest winner.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

ETB posted:

I think it's more feasible as a game without traitors, but still keeping with secret objectives for the truest winner.

Doesn't that defeat the entire point of the design?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

OmegaGoo posted:

Doesn't that defeat the entire point of the design?

The design already makes it possible to not have traitors on a given round. The only thing that remains there is suspicion in that case, which i imagine if you tried you could already replicate with more cutthroat personal objectives, or add some other reason for not trusting other players to do their part.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played some Spyfall today...not a fan. It takes too much time to think of questions to ask that for the most part, you're sitting on your hands waiting to be asked something. It's a meh blend of One Night Ultimate Werewolf's completely unstructured discussion phase and Avalon's more structured rules, and it comes off as fairly lifeless and unremarkable as a result.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Morpheus posted:

Played some Spyfall today...not a fan. It takes too much time to think of questions to ask that for the most part, you're sitting on your hands waiting to be asked something. It's a meh blend of One Night Ultimate Werewolf's completely unstructured discussion phase and Avalon's more structured rules, and it comes off as fairly lifeless and unremarkable as a result.

I disagree with this opinion. You may find a few more plays gets your mind in the right place to be able to come up with questions more easily. The whole challenge of the game is coming up with good questions, and that is fun to me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

EvilChameleon posted:

I disagree with this opinion. You may find a few more plays gets your mind in the right place to be able to come up with questions more easily. The whole challenge of the game is coming up with good questions, and that is fun to me.

Perhaps. I feel like there are better games out that do this sort of thing, though. But, I think some people enjoyed it, so I'm content with just sitting out (this is at work during lunch, so I won't be that friend in the corner just playing on my phone or whatever).

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Or you get running gags like "what are you wearing?" "I'm comfortable".

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I enjoy when the Spy player doesn't play vague and just jumps in with both feed with a crazy answer to a question to see if it sticks, or totally flops. Once played a round where the spy was asked the first question of the game: "Why are you here?" His answer: "...Bitches."

We were at the Service Station. It was a short game.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Next game in the FFG Euro Classic line is Samurai:

quote:

Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce the return of Samurai, a beloved tile-placement game by Reiner Knizia set amid the turbulent times of feudal Japan!

In Samurai, two to four players assume the roles of ambitious daimyo competing for control of Japan. To rise above your rivals and influence the nation's cities and villages to your cause, you must prove you can lead their people. Through the strategic placement of tiles, you can establish your sway over lesser lords, the production of rice, and the region's religious leaders. Sometimes, though, even these won't be enough to establish your dominance, and to cement your claim, you must send in your samurai.

This edition of Samurai maintains the game’s original mechanics while updating it with beautifully sculpted game pieces, new leader tokens to aid in scoring, and all-new art and graphic design that draw upon traditional Japanese styles.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/6/26/samurai/

They did a really good job with T&E (the promos absolutely didn't do the components justice) so this should be cool.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Merauder posted:

I enjoy when the Spy player doesn't play vague and just jumps in with both feed with a crazy answer to a question to see if it sticks, or totally flops. Once played a round where the spy was asked the first question of the game: "Why are you here?" His answer: "...Bitches."

We were at the Service Station. It was a short game.

I saw a game where the location was Police Station and one of the first questions was "Which side are you on?" which was answered "the inside."

I was convinced that person was the spy, but some others just thought she was next leveling it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The next Euro Classic from FFG is Samurai. How is Samurai?

Edit: I have no idea how I missed the post two above me. I am shamed.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 26, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

GrandpaPants posted:

The next Euro Classic from FFG is Samurai. How is Samurai?

It's an abstract that's pretty easy to teach and play. I wouldn't buy it again (I have it on ios) but if you like abstracts, it's a good solid design.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
S'alright. I'd play it again, which I don't say for a lot of Knizia games outside of T&E.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
It can often be better to just ask a bunch of lovely questions instead of always looking for the best possible one, this gives the other players more opportunities to get little bits of information across and the spy more opportunities to flub something. It also gives you a lot more plausible deniability when you're the spy and you ask something dumb and off the cuff. I asked an otherwise meaningless throwaway question last night and the guy responded with "I don't believe I have"; we were at the cathedral so that instantly cleared him of all suspicion, but because the both the question and answer were entirely meaningless outside that one word it gave the spy basically no information.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm a big fan of Samurai. It's short, simple, and elegant. Good game as long as you accept the light connection to theme (normal for that designer) and slightly unintuitive scoring system (which makes complete sense once you understand that the entire game is based around having just enough of something and no more).

My copy sits in my basement because the old box is ginormous and because I tend to aim for heavier games when I get the rare chance to play a boardgame. It's a good game though. I'd like to play it more often.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

T-Bone posted:

Next game in the FFG Euro Classic line is Samurai:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/6/26/samurai/

They did a really good job with T&E (the promos absolutely didn't do the components justice) so this should be cool.

That's fantastic! I love Samurai. Simple, elegant, short, but still thinky. Yeah it's kind of abstract, but that's ok sometimes, especially here where it matches the style of gameplay. It also has a jigsaw board that makes the game scale perfectly from 2 to 4 players. Everyone deserves a chance to try this game.

Everyone also deserves the absolutely loving beautiful polished plexiglass pieces for this game, so I will never forgive you FFG.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Dominant Species app update is live! I literally did a fist pump when I saw the subject

They don't support online play in this update yet :negative:

Oh well I can still get some people to learn this way

Edit: also a keyflower reprint kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/keyflower-is-awesome

Hope they include a promo tiles pledge

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 26, 2015

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Yes, the R&D Games product that needs a reprint is Keyflower :rolleyes:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

Yes, the R&D Games product that needs a reprint is Keyflower :rolleyes:

Richard Breese is not interest in reprinting the older games because of reasons he hasn't disclosed that I'm aware of

E: also breese regarding the promos:

quote:

As with the other promos, which were part of the same printing sheet, GS only have a limited supply. I suspect of there are copies in excess of the KS orders GS will be able to distribute separately.

R&D will have copies at Spiel which is in October, slightly ahead of the KS conservative distribution date.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 26, 2015

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

They should reprint the other promos too

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
All out of print games should be put up on a Print-on-Demand service like The Game Crafter. It's 2015 for gods sake, what is this the stone age?

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 27, 2015

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
A question for those who have played One Night + Daybreak. I picked the two up for a party this weekend and I'd like input on the roles I picked out for a ten player game.

Mason x2
Werewolf x2
Mystic Wolf
Hunter
Bodyguard
Insomniac
Witch
Tanner
Seer
Robber
Minion

I felt that at ten people the wolves should have a shot at four players which is why I threw in the Mystic Wolf and I figured as long as I had access to more interesting villager team roles that it didn't make sense to have anyone being just a vanilla Villager, but having never played the game before I'm aware I may have no idea what I'm talking about. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to change, if any? I'd rather not use Doppelganger, Village Idiot, or Curator, but anything else I'm cool with.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Another quick Mage Knight question,do you always use a dummy player while playing co-op? Like assuming a normal co-op game of 2-3 real players you would still use it? Seems like a wierd desicion when the players are suppose to set the pace.

This is seperate from the game happening on Saturday btw, this is curiosity from reading the rulebook again in preperation for tomorrow's game and noticing that the rules technically say you always use one when playing solo or co-op :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Another quick Mage Knight question,do you always use a dummy player while playing co-op? Like assuming a normal co-op game of 2-3 real players you would still use it? Seems like a wierd desicion when the players are suppose to set the pace.

This is seperate from the game happening on Saturday btw, this is curiosity from reading the rulebook again in preperation for tomorrow's game and noticing that the rules technically say you always use one when playing solo or co-op :v:
Yes, you always use a dummy player in co-op. It's specifically because the game is balanced around the timing of the days/nights not being entirely in your own hands.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Baller Ina posted:

A question for those who have played One Night + Daybreak. I picked the two up for a party this weekend and I'd like input on the roles I picked out for a ten player game.

Mason x2
Werewolf x2
Mystic Wolf
Hunter
Bodyguard
Insomniac
Witch
Tanner
Seer
Robber
Minion

I felt that at ten people the wolves should have a shot at four players which is why I threw in the Mystic Wolf and I figured as long as I had access to more interesting villager team roles that it didn't make sense to have anyone being just a vanilla Villager, but having never played the game before I'm aware I may have no idea what I'm talking about. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to change, if any? I'd rather not use Doppelganger, Village Idiot, or Curator, but anything else I'm cool with.

Troublemaker is always fun.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Yeah, only because it keeps the pressure on; in my experience the dummy is always the one ending the turn but I play my cards too cautiously.

They say though if you don't want to, you don't have to do it, but in my opinion it would probably draw out an already very long game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Without a dummy player there's no reason not to park your rear end on every gem mine for 3 turns or sit on magical glades until you're fully healed. The game breaks without time pressure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baller Ina posted:

Mason x2
Werewolf x2
Mystic Wolf
Hunter
Bodyguard
Insomniac
Witch
Tanner
Seer
Robber
Minion

You should always include four things in an ONUW setup. The Seer is needed for information, the Robber/Witch is needed so someone can make definitive statements on what a person is, the Troublemaker/VI is needed to make it harder to recreate the night, and the Tanner is needed to muddy the waters. Also if you're playing Mystic Wolf you should include Apprentice Seer to increase the viable false claims.

The other thing you should do is make sure that one-third of all roles are Werewolves, because you really need at least two Werewolves in the village.

In your setup I would replace one of the vanilla Werewolves with the Alpha Wolf or replace the Bodyguard with the Paranormal Investigator.

Eternal Hobo
Nov 7, 2008
I'm looking for some suggestions for quick (less than an hour) and easy to learn games. Right now I'm looking at stuff like Tsuro, Kingdom Builder, and Love Letter. I'm trying to stay fairly simple because some of the concepts in Small World confused a couple of my friends. That could have been due to the fact we were drinking at the time though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eternal Hobo posted:

I'm looking for some suggestions for quick (less than an hour) and easy to learn games. Right now I'm looking at stuff like Tsuro, Kingdom Builder, and Love Letter. I'm trying to stay fairly simple because some of the concepts in Small World confused a couple of my friends. That could have been due to the fact we were drinking at the time though.

Coup is pretty good.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/131357/coup

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Eternal Hobo posted:

It doesn't help that Small World kind of sucks.

Tsuro and Love Letter are both very simple and quick. You may want to pick up Sushi Go as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Dominant Species app update is live! I literally did a fist pump when I saw the subject

They don't support online play in this update yet :negative:

Motherfucker, I came to the thread while it was updating all excited.

Still looking forward to the update.