Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
My last Pomeranian got eaten by coyotes that live in the woods behind my house, so I got this guy:

My older min pin has been quite motherly towards him - very tolerant - but she doesn't know how to play with dogs because she was a messed up pound dog. My rat terrier used to love to play with my adult pom, but she doesn't like the puppy much.

Only had him about a week - any suggestions?

So far I've just been intervening when he goes to approach her. She isn't aggressive but she growls and snaps if he gets too close. No biting or yelps yet. I keep them separated at all times when not supervised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!
I just picked up a cute lil guy from the local shelter. A(n) (estimated) 4 year old malti-poo, Oliver.
My issue is with house breaking. But i think the problem is with me, with methodology.
I watch him like a hawk, and look for signs of him needing to use the restroom. But, (even with my last dogs), I inevitably enter a frustrating cycle.
I see a possible sign, so I take him out. I stay with him a while (normally about 5-10 minutes). I try to not interact with him too much outside because I want him to not be distracted and eliminate. After about 10 minutes of standing around or when he gets bored and lays down on the concrete, I assume I was wrong about the signs and take him inside. This part can repeat 2 - 5 times. At some point, he will start to pee inside. So I distract him with a loud noise (a clap or a short vocalization ("hey", or "no"). I then pick him up and rush him outside. But then he doesn't pee. He does his normal routine of idling until he lays down. After I've caught him starting to pee inside and rush him outside, we'll stay outside 20-30 minutes. Then the cycle repeats of watching him closely and trying to take him out.

I feel like my problem is when I catch him starting to pee. I rush him out, and he doesn't continue. I want to praise all over him after he goes outside, but it seems like I don't get the chance to even get to that point.

Should I be doing something when I catch him? Or is there more fundmental I'm doing wrong?

We have a kennel thing we put him in when we sleep or go somewhere, and we take him out immediately when we awake / return. I feel bad keeping him in there potentially all day because its just big enough to sleep / turn around in.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Rahtas posted:

I feel like my problem is when I catch him starting to pee. I rush him out, and he doesn't continue. I want to praise all over him after he goes outside, but it seems like I don't get the chance to even get to that point.

Should I be doing something when I catch him? Or is there more fundmental I'm doing wrong?

We have a kennel thing we put him in when we sleep or go somewhere, and we take him out immediately when we awake / return. I feel bad keeping him in there potentially all day because its just big enough to sleep / turn around in.

When you notice signs that he's thinking about peeing in the house (or stop him mid-stream), take him outside and walk with him for 5 minutes. You'll have better success if you get him moving. Right now you're stopping him mid-stream in the house so he may be a little wary of going in front of you, particularly if you're just standing and watching. If he pees, soft verbal praise and a treat, then let him back in to run around and do whatever. If he doesn't pee, put him in the crate for 15 minutes and then try again. Once he's going quickly on the walk, you may be able to fade back to just standing with him outside.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Verisimilidude posted:

Hey, where do y'all get your puppy food from? The closest reliable pet store is a Petco, and they're pretty expensive and far away. I'm looking for a service that delivers, and the food I get is very expensive or difficult to find on Amazon.

I live way out in the boonies so I have my food delivered from Chewy.com. I usually have a giant box of food on my doorstep within 2 days of ordering even with the free shipping, they have a huge variety of different foods, and the prices are as reasonable as I've seen anywhere else. I find it much more convenient than driving 45 minutes to the pet store and hoping they have what I need.

Tramii
Jun 22, 2005

He's a hawk. A hawk. Can't you tell just by looking at him?

Rahtas posted:

My issue is with house breaking.

Pay attention to how often he goes in between peeing. Dogs generally need to go on a regular basis, so figure out that your dog pees every X hour(s). Then, next time he pees set a timer for like X - 15 minutes. When the timer goes off, take him outside and wait.

If he won't pee after 15-20 minutes, then you can do two things. Either take him on a long walk until he wants to pee, or take him inside and place him in his crate. If the crate is small, he won't want to pee there and should start to whine when he has to go. When he starts to whine, immediately take him outside and wait for him to do his thing. If he doesn't do anything for a while, put him back in the crate and wait again.

Eventually you should be able to get him to pee outside and then you can go crazy with the treats.

Tramii fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 26, 2015

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I went to an ASPCA party and someone wanted to adopt Pax lol

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So after coming home from the dog park I decided to check my puppy for ticks and I found an odd growth on her lip. It's small and looks like it has hairs growing out of it. I'm wondering if anyone here knows what it may be.

The brown/black stuff is dirt from her chewing sticks. It was bleeding a bit before I took the photo.

Edit: It also seems like the little hairs come off. I found one floating on her lip nearby.

Double edit: looks like it's oral papilloma, otherwise known as dog herpes.

Fan-loving-tastic.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 30, 2015

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

*Not a vet*

But I seem to recall my dog having funny internal gums from a pup to the time we lost her aged 12. You should really take your little guy to a vets though to get checked out and make sure everything is OK. Please keep us posted as to how you get on and good luck.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My dog had a giant papilloma on his tongue while he was a puppy. It eventually went away on its own. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets huge and obtrusive.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I took her to her last day of puppy training and the people there (who also take care of her day care and will be boarding her next week, they're very sweet) say it's common in puppies since their immune systems aren't fully developed. They likened it to puppy chicken pox, only they can keep getting it until they're around 2 or 3 years old. They said she can't go to day care until it falls off, but that it should fall off on its own and that since it's a virus there isn't a medication we can prescribe. It has to run its course.

Otherwise my puppy seems fine. She played at the dog park today so I may have contaminated my neighbor's puppy as well, but I'll let her know to keep an eye out. It's just really loving gross looking to have this weird tentacley thing on my dog's lip.

edit: It was canine papilloma.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 1, 2015

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Verisimilidude posted:

I took her to her last day of puppy training and the people there (who also take care of her day care and will be boarding her next week, they're very sweet) say it's common in puppies since their immune systems aren't fully developed. They likened it to puppy chicken pox, only they can keep getting it until they're around 2 or 3 years old. They said she can't go to day care until it falls off, but that it should fall off on its own and that since it's a virus there isn't a medication we can prescribe. It has to run its course.

Otherwise my puppy seems fine. She played at the dog park today so I may have contaminated my neighbor's puppy as well, but I'll let her know to keep an eye out. It's just really loving gross looking to have this weird tentacley thing on my dog's lip.

canine papillomavirus?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

canine papillomavirus?

Yeah, should have mentioned that.

Rahtas
Oct 22, 2010

RABBIT TROOP FOREVER!

Engineer Lenk posted:

When you notice signs that he's thinking about peeing in the house (or stop him mid-stream), take him outside and walk with him for 5 minutes. You'll have better success if you get him moving. Right now you're stopping him mid-stream in the house so he may be a little wary of going in front of you, particularly if you're just standing and watching. If he pees, soft verbal praise and a treat, then let him back in to run around and do whatever. If he doesn't pee, put him in the crate for 15 minutes and then try again. Once he's going quickly on the walk, you may be able to fade back to just standing with him outside.

I've been busy lately, but I wanted to say thank you for the advice. It worked well and there hasn't been an accident since. Thank you!

Any advice how I can transition him going in the yard? The walks are good for everyone involved, but it would be nice to have the option.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Rahtas posted:

I've been busy lately, but I wanted to say thank you for the advice. It worked well and there hasn't been an accident since. Thank you!

Any advice how I can transition him going in the yard? The walks are good for everyone involved, but it would be nice to have the option.

I would think to take him out to the yard, praise/treat on going to the bathroom. When going for walks don't praise as strongly (or no treat but praise) so that walks are for fun and if he has to pee great, and yard is for potty?
But i'm just a dude with a 6 year old adopted dog that is house trained but who only poops in a dog park and doesn't listen so... :shrug:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Verisimilidude posted:

Yeah, should have mentioned that.

Wasn't trying to be rude, I have an interest in ID so I was just curious :)

I had pax meet all of the regular Mail carriers and ups people. He's very friendly, but if he sees a stranger getting close to the house he has a TERRIFYING growl. Seriously I am going to get a recording of it because idk how a little puppy can make this sound. :staredog:

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

My two dogs bark their butts off if anyone is in the yard, or even in the alley behind us. Even when it's people they are friends with (folks that come round our house a lot) that they've met a hundred times. Even when it's me getting home.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Shithouse Dave posted:

My two dogs bark their butts off if anyone is in the yard, or even in the alley behind us. Even when it's people they are friends with (folks that come round our house a lot) that they've met a hundred times. Even when it's me getting home.

My dog often doesn't even wake up when I get home late in the evening...

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

edit: It was canine papilloma.

Why won't they let her go to daycare with it? Mine went with his gross tongue wart and my vet and the daycare folks said it was fine. It's only contagious is if she's french kissing other dogs.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Pupdate on dumpster pup. We thought about it heavily and we're keeping her for sure. We named her Ellie. I'm lucky enough that she can come to work with me every day. She has a couple teeth coming in and has gained so much personality and energy since being fed properly. The vet directed us to start her on puppy mush to start the weaning process which is pretty gross stuff that hardens into concrete if you let it dry on the dish.

She's super active and is gaining weight as expected. I started the recommending worming process and have her scheduled for shots when she's old enough.

Look how goddamn cute she is, I can't handle it!

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Noise Complaint posted:

Pupdate on dumpster pup. We thought about it heavily and we're keeping her for sure. We named her Ellie. I'm lucky enough that she can come to work with me every day. She has a couple teeth coming in and has gained so much personality and energy since being fed properly. The vet directed us to start her on puppy mush to start the weaning process which is pretty gross stuff that hardens into concrete if you let it dry on the dish.

She's super active and is gaining weight as expected. I started the recommending worming process and have her scheduled for shots when she's old enough.

Look how goddamn cute she is, I can't handle it!

:3:

Paxs wisdom panel came back

The mixed breed was likely a mountain dog

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Noise Complaint posted:

I'm lucky enough that she can come to work with me every day.

How do you get anything done with this little cutie around?!

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Pax tried to take on a fox. Obviously I did not let him, but I'm a little worried because we have a huge problem with rabid foxes around here (we average one fox per square mile, and a rabid fox was caught this last spring a few miles from here). What if I can't stop him next time? Does his rabies vaccine protect him? Is this going to end up with extra rabies vaccines for everyone?

I'm getting a little more concerned because the fox has been showing up closer and closer to the house. Originally it was just in the woods and near an abandoned area, but now it's getting much bolder

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
We adopted a 7-month-old pit bull today. We took Thor to meet him at the shelter yesterday and they seemed fine together, but for some reason today I was full of nerves all day once we got him home. Any time he looked at Thor (who's a tiny dachshund beagle) my brain kept going "he's targeting" even though rationally I know he's just curious.

We plan to take him to obedience classes and crate both of them when we're not home. Please reassure me this wasn't a horrible idea. The poor guy is so underfed he can barely go up and down the stairs and I just want to love him and give him happy fun times, but I know I can't give that to him if I can't calm my internal nerves.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Why the gently caress did you adopt a pit bull if you're constantly terrified he's going to eat the other dog.

Keep them separated when you're out and keep an eye out for any developing DA at around the 1yr mark. Don't take your pit bull to dog parks

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Man, why do some people enjoy scaring little dogs? Half the people I introduce my dog to just do weird rear end hand gestures and try to scare her on purpose because they think it's cute. Yeah thanks for saddling her up with lifelong socialization issues, assholes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fraction posted:

Why the gently caress did you adopt a pit bull if you're constantly terrified he's going to eat the other dog.

Keep them separated when you're out and keep an eye out for any developing DA at around the 1yr mark. Don't take your pit bull to dog parks

Because I didn't feel nervous like this at all when they played at the shelter. It just kinda irrationally set in when we got home. I just need reassurance that it's doable.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Okay, I need some help.

My puppy is 13 weeks old tomorrow, and is GREAT at learning/doing things when he knows we have a treat in our hands. "Go to bed", "kennel", sit/lay down, fetch, he's all about it. That said, when he doesn't know we have a treat ready to go, he's stubborn as hell and won't do anything 75% of the time.

He's a Great Pyrenees, so apparently part of that is ingrained into the breed, but what can I do to work through this?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Pax tried to take on a fox. Obviously I did not let him, but I'm a little worried because we have a huge problem with rabid foxes around here (we average one fox per square mile, and a rabid fox was caught this last spring a few miles from here). What if I can't stop him next time? Does his rabies vaccine protect him? Is this going to end up with extra rabies vaccines for everyone?

I'm getting a little more concerned because the fox has been showing up closer and closer to the house. Originally it was just in the woods and near an abandoned area, but now it's getting much bolder

It does vary a little location by location based on local and state ordinances.

The Rabies vaccine should prevent infection, as long as it worked (as it is supposed to). However, in the case of a vaccinated animal being bitten by an unvaccinated animal/wildlife, the general recommendation is immediate Rabies vaccination and a 45 day quarantine of the bitten animal (after receiving appropriate care). In this case, the quarantine can be done at the person's home, again, depending on local laws.

If the bitten animal is not up to date on vaccination, or has not received vaccination, the choices are a 6 month quarantine or euthanasia.

Tramii
Jun 22, 2005

He's a hawk. A hawk. Can't you tell just by looking at him?

Shibawanko posted:

Man, why do some people enjoy scaring little dogs? Half the people I introduce my dog to just do weird rear end hand gestures and try to scare her on purpose because they think it's cute. Yeah thanks for saddling her up with lifelong socialization issues, assholes.

Wait... people are intentionally scaring your dog? Seriously?

Like what exactly are they doing? Like pretending to hit or something? Making loud noises?

I've never seen anyone do that before and if I did I would yell at them and ask what they hell they were doing.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Tramii posted:

Like what exactly are they doing? Like pretending to hit or something? Making loud noises?

I've never seen anyone do that before and if I did I would yell at them and ask what they hell they were doing.

I walk dogs at a shelter and one time we had a few chinese cresteds come in from a not great situation. I was walking one of them and there were five or so construction guys who wanted to say hi, so I said something like "hey this is Bob, but he's pretty nervous" and one of them immediately responds by loudly and aggressively stomping his feet and clapping at the dog. Thankfully the other guys were like "what the hell, Frank, she just said the dog is scared" and were very polite to Bob. But yeah, some people are just assholes I guess. I can't fathom why anyone would want to antagonize Bob in particular, a dog that looked like this:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tramii posted:

I guess they see it as playing, but stuff like waving their hand in her face, making fast movements and talking in weird voices.

I guess it's kind of a Japanese thing, old ladies in particular seem to do it.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Okay, I need some help.

My puppy is 13 weeks old tomorrow, and is GREAT at learning/doing things when he knows we have a treat in our hands. "Go to bed", "kennel", sit/lay down, fetch, he's all about it. That said, when he doesn't know we have a treat ready to go, he's stubborn as hell and won't do anything 75% of the time.

He's a Great Pyrenees, so apparently part of that is ingrained into the breed, but what can I do to work through this?

Try to find other things that he finds reinforcing as well. Or start stashing treats in various places in the house so if he does something you ask you can mark with a "yes" and then run to the nearest stash for reinforcement. He'll learn that he gets cool things even if he knows you don't have a treat in your hand.

I write a fair bit about reinforcement and balancing them with real life distractions on my 'business' Facebook account. Here's a link to one of them if you're interested. https://www.facebook.com/1527626734191370/photos/pb.1527626734191370.-2207520000.1436101053./1605693919717984

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Well, day 3 with Worf (our new pit), and it seems nearly all problems are set off by Thor being a dick and refusing to share toys/furniture/us. Worf is so submissive and scared of everything, I don't think he could ever start a fight.

Any tips on getting our old cranky dog to be a better housemate, or is it one of those "give it time" things? Obviously we intervene and separate the minute we see a spat starting.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Have you done any separation and slow introductions or did you just bring Worf home and plop him down in your living room and hoped for the best? Ideally when you bring a new dog home when you've already got a dog you should keep them separated for a while so they can see/smell each other but not get at each other, then introduce them in a neutral environment like taking them for a walk around the neighborhood together.

Thor is probably going "hey what the gently caress dudes" if you just thrust a new dog into his space without giving him a chance to get used to the idea first. When I got my second dog I kept him sequestered in the kitchen with a baby gate for the first week or so until my other dog came to terms with the idea that there'd be another dog in his space. They still had spats the first few weeks but they eventually started getting along. I would have kept them separated for longer but my other dog figured out how to let the new dog out during the day (he was behind a baby gate in a crate, so it was pretty impressive) so I eventually just said "gently caress it" and let them hang out together.

Edit: The only way I got my old cranky dog to really, truly accept my other dog as an equal was when I moved to a new house and it was 100% neutral territory and neither could pull "I was here first!!!" bullshit on the other

Problem! fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 5, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Have you done any separation and slow introductions or did you just bring Worf home and plop him down in your living room and hoped for the best? Ideally when you bring a new dog home when you've already got a dog you should keep them separated for a while so they can see/smell each other but not get at each other, then introduce them in a neutral environment like taking them for a walk around the neighborhood together.

We hadn't, no. We just brought him home. We do crate Worf whenever we leave the house and Worf mostly wants to sit on the couch with us and Thor hates cuddling so they've been separate in that sense. Worf can't figure out baby gates at all, so we could try that, but Thor is like a world champion jumper and can clear baby gates with amazing ease, so if Thor wants to be a dick we can't really stop him. Right now their crates are nearby but out of line of sight, but you'd suggest moving them to be able to see each other too?

They're only going to be out of their crates when we're home. Worf is terrified of everything (even his own tags jingling) and very desperately wants to be cuddled up to us all the time. I'm afraid that if, when we're home, we're penning him up in one room he's going to get really reactive because he'll feel unprotected from all the scary sounds. Is that a silly concern? We just want to make sure that he develops into a confident and friendly pit bull and not a scared and quick-to-snap pit bull.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Rahtas posted:

Leash walk laps of the yard. Once he gets the idea that he's supposed to move until he goes, try it offleash. Fade your motion until you don't have to walk with him.

Alternately (or in conjunction), put peeing and elimination on cue by consistently using your phrase of choice just before/while he's going on your walks.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
We're going to take obedience classes with Worf and they can't come soon enough. Walked him this morning and he pulled so hard he was choking himself the whole way. Nothing I do to get Thor to walk nicely worked, and Worf is strong enough that my shoulders started to tire.

Now he's back in his crate in his nice dark room so he can chill out til my wife comes to check him on lunch.

The only leash classes nearby start at the end of the month. Any reading material I can check out on leash training until then?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

We're going to take obedience classes with Worf and they can't come soon enough. Walked him this morning and he pulled so hard he was choking himself the whole way. Nothing I do to get Thor to walk nicely worked, and Worf is strong enough that my shoulders started to tire.

Now he's back in his crate in his nice dark room so he can chill out til my wife comes to check him on lunch.

The only leash classes nearby start at the end of the month. Any reading material I can check out on leash training until then?

Have you ever considered that he just might be too much for you to handle?

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
I got a new standard schnauzer puppy a few weeks ago and things are going fairly well, but he has a slightly unusual behaviour that I've never seen before in other dogs. When he anticipates and is excited to receive treats, whether it's during training, before getting a chew or a Kong, etc., he "chatters" his teeth together rapidly. When he's very excited for the treat (like when he gets a Kong) he sometimes makes a sucking/suckling sound as well. Has anybody experienced this before? Is it anything I should be concerned about, or just a quirk of his?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

wtftastic posted:

Have you ever considered that he just might be too much for you to handle?

If we can't provide him everything he needs to be happy and well cared for, we will absolutely surrender him to the best rescue or new home we can find. I'm not ready to give up on him after 3 days. He's a terrified, 7-month-old pit bull puppy who has clearly been beaten (for the first day he cowered any time someone moved a hand toward him), and was starved to the point where I can put my hands completely around his waist. So far all his issues appear to be scared puppy behavior, not "bad pit bull" behavior. It's just that the stuff that works with our 17 pound beagle isn't going to work with a stronger dog.

Like I said, we're going to go to classes with him, and are even prepared to pay for one-on-ones with a behaviorist if that's needed. We need to gain skills as dog owners for him, he himself is a very nice and submissive, if skittish, puppy. I'm just asking if there's any good reading material I can sink into to try to be better at the basics (like going for walks) before the classes start since they're not for a couple weeks. If there's not a generally-accepted best source for that info, I'll just google around.

In terms of physicality though, he's not too much for me to handle. I'm 6'4" and 295 pounds, the dog isn't going to outmuscle me. I just know that if I'm doing things right muscle shouldn't be involved on either end. Several of our neighbors have pit bulls that obediently walk right by their sides in total calmness.