Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

The Cleaner posted:

Don't know if I can enjoy listening to him the same way after reading that all too in-depth tear-down.

Great. Thanks, BUDDY

:cripes: lol sorry; i just wanted to qualify my point rather than just bash Cortini baselessly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Scatterfold posted:

:cripes: lol sorry; i just wanted to qualify my point rather than just bash Cortini baselessly

No your right, his compositions are hilariously simple but as others have said he has almost perfect control over his instruments and from a sound design standpoint he's really good. But hey, if I wanted complex song structure there are a ton of other people to listen to while someone making music that's sonically complex but structurally elementary is actually not that common, with Reznor being the main other artist like that.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
wow, Clouds is extremely cool. so good for creating drones and background textures. there's so much to this thing that i feel like i haven't even scratched the surface. i can see the delay mode coming in really handy too.

i'm trying to figure out what to do case-wise though. i've got way too much to fit in my briefcase now and that kind of bums me out. thinking about trying to build a 4x104hp suitcase myself but i'm pretty new to doing anything useful with wood

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Mr. Glass posted:

i'm trying to figure out what to do case-wise though. i've got way too much to fit in my briefcase now and that kind of bums me out. thinking about trying to build a 4x104hp suitcase myself but i'm pretty new to doing anything useful with wood

I had the same thought but realize I'm still terrible at making anything nicer than 2x4 functional carpentry (gently caress a jigsaw) so I ordered some vector rails and am mid-build of something far less elegant and not much cheaper than what you can get here:
https://www.ginkosynthese.com/product/wooden-case-diy-kit/

:negative:
If I didn't already have 3 sets of 104hp rails in hand one of those 3U units would already be enroute to my place. Sadly I'm getting no response to buying the kit w/o rails...

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Bolange posted:

I had the same thought but realize I'm still terrible at making anything nicer than 2x4 functional carpentry (gently caress a jigsaw) so I ordered some vector rails and am mid-build of something far less elegant and not much cheaper than what you can get here:
https://www.ginkosynthese.com/product/wooden-case-diy-kit/

:negative:
If I didn't already have 3 sets of 104hp rails in hand one of those 3U units would already be enroute to my place. Sadly I'm getting no response to buying the kit w/o rails...

post pics of your case when you finish it! even if it doesn't end up being any cheaper you presumably learned something from building it, right? :)

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Mr. Glass posted:

post pics of your case when you finish it! even if it doesn't end up being any cheaper you presumably learned something from building it, right? :)

Prepare yourself to be underwhelmed. The biggest thing I learned is I can't cut a matched pair of curved end pieces with a jigsaw to a degree that makes me happy.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Mr. Glass posted:

wow, Clouds is extremely cool. so good for creating drones and background textures. there's so much to this thing that i feel like i haven't even scratched the surface. i can see the delay mode coming in really handy too.

peep this

http://mqtthiqs.github.io/parasites/clouds.html

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

:aaaaa:

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Speaking of acid, what do you guys think of Hardfloor? Their stuff seems quite a bit different from the original acid house tracks, less screechy and distorted.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

AxeBreaker posted:

Speaking of acid, what do you guys think of Hardfloor? Their stuff seems quite a bit different from the original acid house tracks, less screechy and distorted.

I think that it's hilarious that Acperience 1 came out 5 years after this http://youtu.be/49P4GUA4AIY and is about 1/10th as good

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Music that comes out later is supposed to be better?

Voodoo Ray is less hardcore than either of those tracks and about 1000x better, anyway.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smQS0x5Ex1s

:stare:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

renderful posted:

Music that comes out later is supposed to be better?

Voodoo Ray is less hardcore than either of those tracks and about 1000x better, anyway.

It was more that Acperience just sounds like a much less interesting version of Flow Coma, made years after the 'original'.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Ah I see. Good point. It is a very similar song. I think that same lineage gave us Higher State of Conciousness and Sandstorm.

java
May 7, 2005

Thought I might try in here: anyone have a moogerfooger freqbox they are looking to part with?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
has anyone bought stuff from erica synths before? i ordered a polivoks vcf kit and haven't heard anything in a week or so.

i'm probably just being impatient.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Venting time.

I pre-ordered a Prophet 6 and it came in last week. I'm pretty sure it's going to go back.

While it's a great synth, there's a ton of day one bugs with the MIDI/USB implementation that make it really difficult to use. They've issued a new firmware update, but you need to transmit it using something other than USB. I don't want to have to tack on more money to get the thing to work over USB.

Second, the keyboard is much better than the 08 I had, but the build quality on the pots is NOT good for a $2800 synth. They have a level of give to them that makes them feel super flimsy. The preset buttons, on the other hand, are great.

Lastly, the stupid Prophet 6 sticker is starting to peel off. On its own. If this were in the $2000 range, I might be more forgiving - but the Moog Voyager is in the same class, and that thing feels like it would survive a nuclear detonation.

I'm so disappointed :(

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
does anyone have any tips for mixing/mastering with a modular synth? my experience so far has been that most of the actual mixing actually happens within the modular, so it's difficult to eq in the same way that you would multiple synth parts. as a result, a lot of my recordings sound really muddy. eq modules seem kind of rare, so is there something obvious here that i'm overlooking?

breaks
May 12, 2001

Mr. Glass posted:

has anyone bought stuff from erica synths before? i ordered a polivoks vcf kit and haven't heard anything in a week or so.

i'm probably just being impatient.

If it has been a whole week I'd shoot them an email asking about it nicely. They always got back to me within 24 hours.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Filters maybe? Hi-pass any elements with unwanted low end, should help clear things up. Do you have anything after your main outs on the modular? If you're recording to a PC you can probably get away with some eqing to add back some sparkle.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

Filters maybe? Hi-pass any elements with unwanted low end, should help clear things up. Do you have anything after your main outs on the modular? If you're recording to a PC you can probably get away with some eqing to add back some sparkle.

Filters is right, high pass is your best friend. It also helps me to think in terms of texture as well as frequency.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
ahhhh duh. i need to invest in some more filters I guess! i only have one that has high pass on it (two if you count the one built into atlantis).

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

that MI Clouds might make for the prettiest reverb I ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLJu2PFkwds

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
What's in your modular Mr Glass? Care to post any audio clips, then if there's any other sources of mud in there we can weed them out?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

here's a thing that i recorded that i thought didn't sound very good: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0PZIQCe-3waR2lnQUNieUdoaGM/view

i also didn't turn the gain up high enough on my audio interface, which is probably also contributing to the problem.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Mr. Glass posted:

does anyone have any tips for mixing/mastering with a modular synth? my experience so far has been that most of the actual mixing actually happens within the modular, so it's difficult to eq in the same way that you would multiple synth parts. as a result, a lot of my recordings sound really muddy. eq modules seem kind of rare, so is there something obvious here that i'm overlooking?

Mr. Glass posted:

here's a thing that i recorded that i thought didn't sound very good: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0PZIQCe-3waR2lnQUNieUdoaGM/view

i also didn't turn the gain up high enough on my audio interface, which is probably also contributing to the problem.

Won't play for me. :(
I like bandpass filters to leave room for other things. You might want to look for a fixed filter bank, EMW, Doepfer, Addac all have make them. EMW is the cheapest, afaik. You can use them like a traditional EQ but some also offer gobs of gain so can be used for more extreme sound shaping. Make noise also has a pre-set one that's more like a band splitter.
It's like everything else though, make sure it's not too hot, leave room. Modular is just a lot hotter than average and can be more active, so watch your extreme lows and highs.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Startyde posted:

Won't play for me. :(

hmm, try it again? i think i accidentally ticked a box i shouldn't have.

quote:

I like bandpass filters to leave room for other things. You might want to look for a fixed filter bank, EMW, Doepfer, Addac all have make them. EMW is the cheapest, afaik. You can use them like a traditional EQ but some also offer gobs of gain so can be used for more extreme sound shaping. Make noise also has a pre-set one that's more like a band splitter.
It's like everything else though, make sure it's not too hot, leave room. Modular is just a lot hotter than average and can be more active, so watch your extreme lows and highs.

cool, i'll look into these.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Ladik makes a 4hp filter bank too but it's fixed frequencies as well

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i actually had already ordered a couple of the ladik 4hp eq modules before i asked my original question. kind of wish i had gone for the filter bank instead

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Komplete won't install. I hate software even more than I hate hardware and, man, right now I hate hardware aplenty.

Man, the only synth what hasn't given me any problems these past few months has been the sh-201.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I had a blast installing Kontakt 4 the other day. One of the ISOs on the Native Instruments site is corrupt. That was a lot of fun finding disc D

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mr. Glass posted:

I've been doing most of the mixing outside the modular with a traditional analog mixer and a bunch of 1/4" to 1/8" mono patch cables. That way I'm not trying to reach though masses of wires to fiddle with levels, and it gives you a nice control surface with big knobs and faders rather than being constrained by eurorack size, some EQ control on each track, panning controls etc.

Depending on your mixer you can get a lot of nice routing - for instance, I dunno about other mixers but the "mute" on Mackie mixers is a send to a different track, so you can "mute" audio signals you want to combine and send the output back into the eurorack for more processing, use dedicated outs, use the effect loop etc.

If you don't have one already, a traditional mixer will kick the rear end of any eurorack module in terms of features for price, with the bonus of not eating up power and rack space, and then you can get your audio into the realm of gear that already exists for mastering as well.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

stillvisions posted:

I've been doing most of the mixing outside the modular with a traditional analog mixer and a bunch of 1/4" to 1/8" mono patch cables. That way I'm not trying to reach though masses of wires to fiddle with levels, and it gives you a nice control surface with big knobs and faders rather than being constrained by eurorack size, some EQ control on each track, panning controls etc.

Depending on your mixer you can get a lot of nice routing - for instance, I dunno about other mixers but the "mute" on Mackie mixers is a send to a different track, so you can "mute" audio signals you want to combine and send the output back into the eurorack for more processing, use dedicated outs, use the effect loop etc.

If you don't have one already, a traditional mixer will kick the rear end of any eurorack module in terms of features for price, with the bonus of not eating up power and rack space, and then you can get your audio into the realm of gear that already exists for mastering as well.

do you have to attenuate the signal down to line level or can you just run it hot straight into the mixer?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

dj bobby bieber posted:

but the build quality on the pots is NOT good for a $2800 synth.

Well poo poo. On the other hand now I don't have to feel bad about waiting for a year until they iron this stuff out. A Prophet 6 Pot Improvement Edition? :shobon:

It's weird - you'd think they would get it right with their previous products and just use some kind of standardized library/framework for poo poo like USB.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Since nobody seems to be paying attention to the Post & Comment thread anymore, here's a track I just bounced:

https://soundcloud.com/mattwalters/ympektid-tomorrowland

Feedback greatly welcomed.

This is 100% modular for the synths; the drums and FX are plugins in Live. I feel like I'm starting to get a workflow sorted with the modular and it feels good. :getin:

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Laserjet 4P posted:

Well poo poo. On the other hand now I don't have to feel bad about waiting for a year until they iron this stuff out. A Prophet 6 Pot Improvement Edition? :shobon:

It's weird - you'd think they would get it right with their previous products and just use some kind of standardized library/framework for poo poo like USB.

Maybe it's just me. I don't know. I just wasn't thrilled with the build quality. I wanted to get some time in on the Sub 37 to see if that could be a good holdover until P6 kinks are worked out. I might just have to go synthless for awhile.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

sofullofhate posted:

Since nobody seems to be paying attention to the Post & Comment thread anymore, here's a track I just bounced:

https://soundcloud.com/mattwalters/ympektid-tomorrowland

Feedback greatly welcomed.

This is 100% modular for the synths; the drums and FX are plugins in Live. I feel like I'm starting to get a workflow sorted with the modular and it feels good. :getin:

Good mix of thump and sizzle. Care to share your workflow? I feel like everybody does it differently.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Reminder fuckers, just one more week on the synthgoon challenge

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718060

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mr. Glass posted:

do you have to attenuate the signal down to line level or can you just run it hot straight into the mixer?

I've been running it hot so far without issue; you won't be setting any faders to 0dB and you'll keep your trim pots low, but it doesn't seem to be distorting; next time I have a clean patch I can test and be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Mr. Sharps posted:

Good mix of thump and sizzle. Care to share your workflow? I feel like everybody does it differently.

Thanks! Happy to share my workflow - I'm with you, in that I strongly suspect that every modular user has a different one. Mine, I suspect, comes from a long history of (a lot of) hardware ownership, followed by several years of being 100% ITB, followed by losing my poo poo and ordering 9U of Eurorack in one shot. :unsmigghh:

I use an Apogee Duet II (USB) for my audio interface. I have a mic connected to one input and the output of one of my 4->1 mixers from the modular connected to the other, which is set as an instrument input with low gain. I monitor through a pair of ADAM A7 mid-field monitors and a JBL studio subwoofer whose model number escapes me at the moment. I sometimes use headphones.

Ignoring guitar stuff, I have an APC40, a Push, a Dark Time and the modular (this is my current layout) , so my rig is fairly straightforward.

Because I use Live for drums, I usually set up my project with a Group of drum racks (kicks, snares, hats, other), and a single MIDI driver track whose output points to the Doepfer A-190-4 MIDI-CV interface. I usually start by patching a bass sound and working out a riff on the Push; because Live is stupid and doesn't include the Push's scale setting in the project when you save it, I usually remember to rename the first scene with the key I'm working in. I also usually remember to check tune on my oscillators using Guitar Rig (this is an expensive tuner, but I already own it, so hell with it) before I start. :)

Once I have a pattern / patch combination that I like, I create an audio track and I record it as-is, usually at least four loops through, so that I don't lose the magic when I start twiddling. Then I record several loops of the pattern while I twiddle knobs. Depending on the patch, I'll try to get a filter sweep or other things that may be useful as the song takes shape. I put all the variations that I like in scenes at the bottom of my project after I select whatever I think should be the main variation. Sometimes I create a group with several audio tracks and put a few different passes of the pattern into the group to give a bit of a 2-4 way unison effect. Since each loop is slightly different (yay, analog!) this actually works surprisingly well. It has the unfortunate side effect of raising the noise floor a lot (boo, analog!) so I usually pop a gate on the group.

Then I pop up or down a couple of octaves on the Push and try some different patterns with the same patch - often a little bit of tweaking results in a pleasantly similar timbre that is still sufficiently different to add texture to the track.

Then I pull all the cables from the modular and repeat until either I hate the sketch and move on, or there's the skeleton of a track that I can move over to the session view and start tweaking / recording texture synths / etc. So I'm basically using the modular as a very powerful monosynth, and bouncing each patch into patterns with variations as I go. I know that this is going to put me in a corner at some point where the track goes a direction I didn't expect and I really want patch #3 to have a type of variation that I hadn't recorded - but since I still have the MIDI data I can at least create a new patch #3 that has a similar timbre and record new patterns for it. :)

What's yours?