Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Popular Thug Drink posted:

agreed but people aren't accusing them of being bunglers, they're accusing them of being opportunistic thieves

Well I mean, Peter Molyneux is also accused of that for his fuckup with his Kickstarter game, as are a bunch of other people who have seemingly failed Kickstarter projects.

Like that guy who was making The Stomping Lands and then stopped developing for it. Someday it'll be finished.....someday :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It's something else to see a thread full of rhetoric literally lifted directly from Rush Limbaugh circa 1992 and concern trolling about a predicted catastrophe that hasn't happened yet in the 30+ years people have been concern trolling about it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feminist critical analysis of video games isn't a charitable cause, it's social commentary

Perhaps nominally, but again, I highly doubt that she was funded purely because people wanted to purchase her product and/or service, and not at all because people felt that the product and/or service served a greater social good.

If you derive gain from credibility as a social service, you are under obligation to funnel that gain back into the perceived service that got you it to begin with.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
i'm intellectually lazy, IRL

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
my 3rd world maoist posting in lf years ago hath finally bore fruit

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

so now people who disagree with you are lazy as well as gullible

No, I'd say people who don't want to hear arguments and idea's that disagree with their own are lazy as well as gullible.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Landstander posted:

Public shaming of homophobes sure was viable political strategy 10 years ago.

Behold my latest masterpiece, The Failure of Identity Politics

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps nominally, but again, I highly doubt that she was funded purely because people wanted to purchase her product and/or service, and not at all because people felt that the product and/or service served a greater social good.

If you derive gain from credibility as a social service, you are under obligation to funnel that gain back into the perceived service that got you it to begin with.

social commentary isn't a social service and anita isn't invalidated because some people may or may not have backed her out of spite

none of what you're saying makes any sense at all

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U4ANE_-3oc this is required watching

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadoer posted:

No, I'd say people who don't want to hear arguments and idea's that disagree with their own are lazy as well as gullible.

so anyone who rejects an argument out of hand without giving it some measure of due and reasonable consideration is lazy as well as gullible?

please spend some time considering this proposal in a rational, thoughtful way: send me all your money then kill yourself. please give me at least three reasons why you would not choose to accept my proposal

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

INH5 posted:

"People who play games" avoid Hidden Object games except for, you know, all the people that keep buying them. Or maybe those are just Fake Gamer Girls.

And you have yet to present any actual evidence that HOPA games are more poorly made than FPS games or other male dominated genres, apart from an assertion that "sure, maybe the AAA FPS genre is an endless river of poo poo now, but it had better games in the past."

Sorry, when I said people who make games I thought I made it obvious that I meant "The old guard who are mostly made up of men who have been playing games for a long time", since thats who I have been talking about as rejecting Hidden Object games throughout this entire series of posts. Unfortunately I left myself open so that you could snipe me on this rather than making any sort of meaningful argument. Too bad for me.

Im going to avoid using the phrase "poorly made" in the future because I do not think it accurately reflects my argument. The hidden picture genre consists of games that are mass produced pablum that have little to no depth to them. This is not making a value judgement on these games, as I have even favorably compared them to Pringles in an earlier post. Im not gonna sit here and pretend like I dont consume plenty of lovely filler, however that lack of depth also means there is a lack of things to say about these games. Which is why we hear very little about them from the gaming press, to go back to your original question. There just isnt a hell of a lot to say about these game.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

icantfindaname posted:

Yes, those certainly are trend lines.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I am smarter than any of you

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I can't actually find a poo poo to give about a Kickstarter where someone has had death threats for talking about basic ideas being late.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

i can't read this, it's a video

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bholder posted:

Oh, so you're former GBS moderator "Spanish Manlove"'s parachute account.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Wow, she must be hysterical, she can't even tell the made-up death threats from the real and terrifying ones

None of them are real nor terrifying. hth.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dreylad posted:

i can't read this, it's a video

you could technically read the 1's and 0's that make up the video

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

I'm at work fighting fraud and don't have an hour. Is it a bunch of :biotruths:?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bholder posted:

not me, i'm the smartest

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Fabricated posted:

my 3rd world maoist posting in lf years ago hath finally bore fruit

well if you were a MTW in LF you were probably arguing that homosexuality is a bourgeoisie affectation

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Yes, those certainly are trend lines.

Okay so evidence that directly contradicts you is wrong because reasons? How are you any different from a libertarian insisting that no matter what, the economy will always be better with less government?

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Bholder posted:

I find this claim to be dubious.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sinnlos posted:

I'm at work fighting fraud and don't have an hour. Is it a bunch of :biotruths:?

it is

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

icantfindaname posted:

I agree this happened, and that it is good, but I don't really see the kind of public shaming connection you're trying to make.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

None of them are real nor terrifying. hth.

but a dude crying because people made fun of his dumb shirt is real as heck

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Landstander posted:

I agree this happened, and that it is good, but I don't really see the kind of public shaming connection you're trying to make.

icantfindaname posted:

They succeeded through a sustained campaign of making bigotry socially unacceptable

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I said come in! posted:

you could technically read the 1's and 0's that make up the video

wouldn't that take a while?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The most wholly admirable and objectively just thing that anyone who has decided that, out of all the severe issues impacting our respective communities and our world at large in the short term and in the long term, this 'conflict' is the right thing to devote any sizable amount of their time, energy and effort to could possibly do- for a vast variety of reasons, up to and including the potential extension of the survival of organisms on the planet Earth- is end their consumption of resources entirely by taking their own life. I am not being humorous or facetious, and this is not a statement of sarcasm or of satire. I am being entirely sincere. That's all that needs to be said; good bye.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

paranoid randroid posted:

but a dude crying because people made fun of his dumb shirt is real as heck

lol what's this

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dreylad posted:

wouldn't that take a while?

probably more then the one hour it would take to watch it

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I'm just going to imagine a dumpy bald white dude talking about how darker skinned people are naturally more aggressive for an hour.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Landstander posted:

People are saying that leftism has abandoned its roots of directly agitating for directly agitating in the bad way, the Xbox One way, and that this has been killing social justice over the last- five years, ten years. But that is unlikely from the data, unless we believe that if the "SJW" was exterminated we would be at 100% support for both those things right now.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Dreylad posted:

lol what's this

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/11/17/casual_sexism_when_a_shirt_is_more_than_a_shirt.html

It was a thing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Sinnlos posted:

I'm just going to imagine a dumpy bald white dude talking about how darker skinned people are naturally more aggressive for an hour.

see that's where you're wrong, it's a poc guy who worked on the equality commission saying that political correctness has gone mad.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dreylad posted:

lol what's this

some doofy scientist wore a dumb shirt with naked ladies on it on live TV and twitter did a thing and he cried

obviously he should have Walked Away From The Screen Hahahahahah Like Close Your Eyes

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The most wholly admirable and objectively just thing that anyone who has decided that, out of all the severe issues impacting our respective communities and our world at large in the short term and in the long term, this 'conflict' is the right thing to devote any sizable amount of their time, energy and effort to could possibly do- for a vast variety of reasons, up to and including the potential extension of the survival of organisms on the planet Earth- is end their consumption of resources entirely by taking their own life. I am not being humorous or facetious, and this is not a statement of sarcasm or of satire. I am being entirely sincere. That's all that needs to be said; good bye.

I'm sorry. All I hear are mosquito sounds.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

paranoid randroid posted:

some doofy scientist wore a dumb shirt with naked ladies on it on live TV and twitter did a thing and he cried

obviously he should have Walked Away From The Screen Hahahahahah Like Close Your Eyes

oh yeah.

also yeah, the hypocrisy is hilarious

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sinnlos posted:

its narrated by a black dude who spent 10 years researching racism in London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dreylad posted:

see that's where you're wrong, it's a poc guy who worked on the equality commission saying that political correctness has gone mad.

well if a black guy said it,

• Locked thread