Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Yep, thanks, it's particularly topical today. Good job guys :911: (edit: or maybe :ussr: is more appropriate in this case)

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Want to see what this looks like in 20 years time.

Get your poo poo together Eastern Hemisphere.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Guavanaut posted:

Want to see what this looks like in 20 years time.

So, if dark blue is complete marriage equality, light blue is civil partnership and that brown yellow crap color is intends to legalize same-sex marriage..

What is that green-blue thing in Mexico?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Disco Infiva posted:

So, if dark blue is complete marriage equality, light blue is civil partnership and that brown yellow crap color is intends to legalize same-sex marriage..

What is that green-blue thing in Mexico?

That means it's not performed in that place but recognized if performed elsewhere.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:World_marriage-equality_laws.svg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Get your poo poo together Eastern Hemisphere.
South Africa got marriage equality as a result of the inequality of apartheid (first republic to do so :vuvu:). I'd laugh so hard if Syria and Iraq got it post ISIS.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Taiwan will probably have marriage equality within a decade, making it the first in Asia.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
As I understand it, homosexuality is pretty well accepted in Japan but there's been no big push for marriage equality for whatever reason.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In East Asia the purpose of marriage is to produce children. That's an oversimplification but ideas of marriage are different and the idea of marriage as a desirable state in and of itself might not compute the same way.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
Speaking of Asia, how popular China is globally, vs. the USA

From the Pew Center, which has a lot of interesting map-based social data

http://www.pewglobal.org

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

IntricoInutile posted:

It's a pretty predictable map. I guess China is not all that popular in many of these places, but the Argentinians, Russians and Pakistanis have more or less good reasons to dislike the USA, same with the Middle East countries besides Israel. I'm surprised by Turkey, and if you look up the numbers, 29% of the Turks have a favorable view of the USA, with 58% having an unfavorable view. What did China do to be disliked even more (18% positive, 59% negative)?

Also, what's up with Malaysia bucking the trend and liking China more than the USA?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Torrannor posted:

It's a pretty predictable map. I guess China is not all that popular in many of these places, but the Argentinians, Russians and Pakistanis have more or less good reasons to dislike the USA, same with the Middle East countries besides Israel. I'm surprised by Turkey, and if you look up the numbers, 29% of the Turks have a favorable view of the USA, with 58% having an unfavorable view. What did China do to be disliked even more (18% positive, 59% negative)?

Also, what's up with Malaysia bucking the trend and liking China more than the USA?

Turks see Uyghurs as closely related to them, and a number of Uyghurs fleeing China for political reasons seek refuge in Turkey. I'm gonna guess Turkey doesn't like China because of their ethnic tension with Uyghurs.

No clue on Malaysia, though. I know they have a large Chinese minority, but so do most other countries in that region and that hasn't helped China's reputation in those countries.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pakled posted:

No clue on Malaysia, though. I know they have a large Chinese minority, but so do most other countries in that region and that hasn't helped China's reputation in those countries.
Outside Singapore, Malaysia has the largest population of Chinese relative to the total. Nearly a quarter of the population. That could be the thing which tips them into having a higher rating for China. The third highest is Thailand, with around 14%, while the rest are significantly smaller minorities.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's interesting that Vietnam thinks more highly of the US than of China. On the other hand, they were invaded by the latter as well and there is a lot of historical bad blood.

Meanwhile, Argentina really is not taking their recent dispute with US creditors well.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Oh hey, here's a fresh new article about population density during the ice age:

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/06/17/1503784112.abstract

People/100km² - 13000, 23000 and 30000 years ago:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kennel posted:

e: Or to put it in a politically loaded map format:

The Finnish language scares me :ohdear:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

So why does the first one suggest that Danish and Norwegian are more closely related whereas the second one puts Danish and Swedish as more closely related with Norwegian instead being paired with Icelandic?

Phlegmish posted:

It's interesting that Vietnam thinks more highly of the US than of China. On the other hand, they were invaded by the latter as well and there is a lot of historical bad blood.

My guess would be that unlike China the US doesn't actually occupy any lands that used to be part of/ are claimed by Vietnam.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 27, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Guavanaut posted:

Ha! I always said that our version of German in Saxony-Anhalt was a pure version of High German, thanks for confirming it.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Most countries dislike neighbors more

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

re: Doggerland post

Really good. I'm super interested in changing sea levels and their effects on human history and pre-history. Thanks for posting, looking forward to anything else you want to do (more of this!).

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

a pipe smoking dog posted:

So why does the first one suggest that Danish and Norwegian are more closely related whereas the second one puts Danish and Swedish as more closely related with Norwegian instead being paired with Icelandic?

History. Icelandic is basically medieval Norwegian so they originate from the same West Norse family, while modern Norwegian is heavily influenced by its Scandinavian neighbor languages.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I think it's basically showing the original dialect/language groups, while ignoring later influence from the prestige dialects of various powers. Modern Norwegian is basically the result of Danes in effect forcing a shift of the language into the West Scandinavian group, a few dialects excluded. The connection to Icelandic still exists in the case of at least one of them, being pretty mutually intelligible with it, at the cost of people who speak Southeast Norse having no loving idea what they're saying. They kinda have to take advantage of the dialect continuum and have some half-way dialect translate between the two.

The map of Germany has a similar situation going on, vastly exaggerating the level of dialectal variation, since Prussia did a pretty fine job at standardizing High German across its territories. The Low German dialects were basically reduced to the North Low German area, and even there they're a clear minority.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It might be that Norwegian and Swedish are more closely related in a genealogical sense, while Danish has had a bigger direct influence on Norwegian in the past five or six centuries. Denmark-Norway used to be a thing and Norway's urban elites were heavily Danified in this period, which contributed to that country's current linguistic issues. You have two written standards in Norway: Bokmål, which is very similar to Danish and dominant in most of the country, and Nynorsk, which is a more 'pure' Norwegian preferred mostly in rural areas of Western Norway.

Here is the officially used standard per municipality, where blue is Nynorsk, red is Bokmål and grey is neutral:

I'm not Norwegian, but I get the impression that Bokmål has always had the sociological upper hand while Nynorsk was developed as a nationalist, working-class reaction against this.

The result is that you end up with the slightly absurd situation of a modern nation-state of barely five million people whose inhabitants nearly all speak dialects or variants of Norwegian yet which lacks a single unified standard for that language.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Phlegmish posted:

I think it's a bit dangerous to just wave it away as history, especially when it's to do with current events.

There is (perhaps surprisingly) little animosity from the Vietnamese to the US due to the Vietnam War. because they won

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

IntricoInutile posted:

I was interested to see Australia in gray, rather than blue. It turns out they just like both countries: 63-28 favorable/unfavorable split for US, 57-33 for China. High fives for everybody from Australia. May have something to do with seeing China as an export market in a way most of the first world does not, I dunno.

Not surprising at all, but still kind of funny, is China's 9-89 split in Japan.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Phlegmish posted:

Meanwhile, Argentina really is not taking their recent dispute with US creditors well.

I think I read on this very forum about someone visiting the Vietnamese museum about the Vietnam war and he described the Vietnamese attitude towards the war and America as very laconic: "they invaded us, we fought em, then we beat them and they left". Apparently there really isn't much bad blood from Vietnam towards the US over the whole thing, probably because they won.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They also don't really view it as a specific US war the way the US does. For Vietnam it was one continuous war for independence, first against France, then the US, and finally China.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Kennel posted:

Oh hey, here's a fresh new article about population density during the ice age:

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2015/06/17/1503784112.abstract

I'm not an expert on this particular topic, but I know there was a wide variance in the population density amounts presented in those sources I gave. I went with the more conservative figures, though the dissertation source does mention Doggerland could have supported way more than 1 person per kilometer squared.

From a climate angle, the distribution of those populations in the figure you showed seems about right.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wow I always forget just how few people there were alive in prehistoric times. Are there any maps like that for other parts of the world?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Koramei posted:

Wow I always forget just how few people there were alive in prehistoric times. Are there any maps like that for other parts of the world?
Well, the view is not as zoomed in, plus it's not exactly prehistory everywhere, but I do like this series of maps.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I did not know southwest Africa is so sparsely populated.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Orange Devil posted:

It's a desert.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Most deserts are. Isn't the Kalahari one of the driest?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Well, the Kalahari is larger than I was aware of then. I learned something, a good map.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Orange Devil posted:

With that username and flag, I had to double check you weren't using a loaded term for Namibia :v:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

With that username and flag, I had to double check you weren't using a loaded term for Namibia :v:

Hah, I'd think that'd apply more if I were German no? Also apparently there are 2 deserts which pretty much border each other and Wikipedia makes Namibia read like a pretty cool place which, if it gets HIV and malaria under control, could really do quite well for itself.

Please nobody crush my spirit here with either tales of incredible government corruption and/or neocolonial fuckery.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Orange Devil posted:

Hah, I'd think that'd apply more if I were German no?
Well, there was that whole thing from 1915–1990.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Well, there was that whole thing from 1915–1990.

Ah well you see the orange white blue flag displayed in my avatar is the Prinsenvlag used by the Dutch fascist party in the 30s and 40s over which is displayed a contemporary Dutch fascist also seen laughing it up with the liberal PM he had been helping keep in power during a broadcast of a 'youth news' episode last elections. So clearly those are totally different things which for whatever reason have seized on to the same colonial symbolism of my country's past.

Avatar brought to you by the kindly purchase of an ironic Dutch Thread (over in SAL) poster.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Also apparently there are 2 deserts which pretty much border each other and Wikipedia makes Namibia read like a pretty cool place which, if it gets HIV and malaria under control, could really do quite well for itself.

Please nobody crush my spirit here with either tales of incredible government corruption and/or neocolonial fuckery.
Namibia is automatically excellent, due to being majority Lutheran.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Orange Devil posted:

Hah, I'd think that'd apply more if I were German no? Also apparently there are 2 deserts which pretty much border each other and Wikipedia makes Namibia read like a pretty cool place which, if it gets HIV and malaria under control, could really do quite well for itself.

It's still a resource extraction country and employment's apparently pretty bad but it's got the "low population, natural protection, and close to a major economic power" factors checked so if/when Subsaharan Africa industrializes in a major way it'll probably be one of the notable success stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

computer parts posted:

It's still a resource extraction country and employment's apparently pretty bad but it's got the "low population, natural protection, and close to a major economic power" factors checked so if/when Subsaharan Africa industrializes in a major way it'll probably be one of the notable success stories.
The best resource to extract from there is this: