Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
man it's telling when 4chan is less likely to talk about this topic than SA is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Popular Thug Drink posted:

well if a black guy said it,

also a FEMALE canadian senator who worked on custody reform spoke at the big MRA conference in detroit therefore,

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

well if a black guy said it,

he has some real good arguments

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yerrhoner, i would like to invoke the chris rock clause

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i think the core issue here is jesus that shirt is freaking ugly.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Venom Snake posted:

man it's telling when 4chan is less likely to talk about this topic than SA is.

didn't they just banish all discussion to the site for child molesters?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
lol the guardian's review of the movie talks about how refreshing it is to talk about how if we let racists be racists pedophiles would be instantly caught by the police as they started grooming people

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dreylad posted:

also a FEMALE canadian senator who worked on custody reform spoke at the big MRA conference in detroit therefore,

Well one of the arguments that keeps coming up is that its only white dudes talking about these issues.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

she's probably mentally deranged, and a feminist

She's definitely one but not the other.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Effectronica posted:

lol the guardian's review of the movie talks about how refreshing it is to talk about how if we let racists be racists pedophiles would be instantly caught by the police as they started grooming people

just a warning, that video might be triggering for you, please be careful, friend.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

social commentary isn't a social service and anita isn't invalidated because some people may or may not have backed her out of spite

none of what you're saying makes any sense at all

Her work isn't invalidated no, it is what it is regardless of whether she is responsible with the money she acquired.

But I do think that it reflects poorly on her commitment to her work that she doesn't spend it where it could do more good, and also poorly on people who keep funding her through patreon instead of giving to places and groups which could more directly use the money to help women on the receiving end of social injustice.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
as a white guy, i would like to demonstrate how not racist i am by citing this black guy who is black who also says the same things i say

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

just a warning, that video might be triggering for you, please be careful, friend.

it took you three minutes to write one sentence because you kept cracking up at the word "triggering"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Her work isn't invalidated no, it is what it is regardless of whether she is responsible with the money she acquired.

But I do think that it reflects poorly on her commitment to her work that she doesn't spend it where it could do more good, and also poorly on people who keep funding her through patreon instead of giving to places and groups which could more directly use the money to help women on the receiving end of social injustice.

so you think she's a hypocrite because she didn't give some of the money she got to make videos for the purpose of making videos to a women's shelter or something

and also her backers are hypocrites for choosing to do something with their money that you think is not the best use of that money

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

as a white guy, i would like to demonstrate how not racist i am by citing this black guy who is black who also says the same things i say

I actually didn't think about any of that stuff until I watched the video. He brought up some convincing points that have made me view things different in a few ways.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I said come in! posted:

I'm triggered right now.

I said come in! posted:

No it's not. I don't give a gently caress how much that triggers you, i'm never going to think what I said was wrong. There is zero evidence to support what you are saying.

I said come in! posted:

Mean while only easily triggered retards that would never have used that product anyways, cried for a bit and then found the next thing to get angry about.

The woman in that ad was also not photoshopped.

I said come in! posted:

Just how triggered are you right now? Do you need me to help you into the hug box and bring you juice and cookies? The hug box already has some pillows and a puppy waiting for you.

you seem to have a fixation here, friendo

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I personally think anyone giving money to internet personalities is a bit of an idiot.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
is anita a hypocrite because she doesn't live under a bodhi tree focusing all of her karma on eliminating sexism from the universe forever? makes you think

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Effectronica posted:

it took you three minutes to write one sentence because you kept cracking up at the word "triggering"

Less then a minute actually, and that is what the time stamps say on my end too.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
you guys spent $10 on a forums account instead of donating it to a homeless shelter and that reflects poorly on You.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

icantfindaname posted:

They succeeded through a sustained campaign of making bigotry socially unacceptable, yes? You've cracked the code, congrats

Right, and they did that by threatening to burn down pizza parlors that might hypothetically discriminate against them instead of things like marches where they tried to appear as nice and respectful as possible to contrast with the inevitable violent response while the media was watching and PR campaigns to tell middle America, "don't be afraid of us, all we want to do is settle down with our partners and raise 2.5 kids in the suburbs just like you."

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Dreylad posted:

there aren't that many 4channers here

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreylad posted:

4chan operates on FOTM culture, GG is old hat so the site moved on.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KoldPT posted:

lol i have terrible news for you...

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
lol PTSD is not a real thing silly trigger warning sjws

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The "triggered" joke is the GG version of the SJW's "actually it's about ethics" joke.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

is anita a hypocrite because she doesn't live under a bodhi tree focusing all of her karma on eliminating sexism from the universe forever? makes you think

Is really your only problem that we criticized Anita for the dodgy fundraising of her videos?

Cause you seem to have a real fixation with her specifically as opposed to all the other people we've mentioned.

Like is she your waifu or something?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

so you think she's a hypocrite because she didn't give some of the money she got to make videos for the purpose of making videos to a women's shelter or something

and also her backers are hypocrites for choosing to do something with their money that you think is not the best use of that money

She is either somewhat hypocritical or rather short sighted if she genuinely believes that the hundreds of thousands of dollars she received was all because her videos are positively fascinating and not related to a wider desire for social justice, and thus she is entirely unobligated to further that desire with the funding she acquired.

Her backers are just bad at spending, she doesn't need more money to make videos and if you want to help women out then there are way better places to spend your money. You don't have want to do that but I dunno why you'd give her money otherwise.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Less then a minute actually, and that is what the time stamps say on my end too.

so how many times have you pissed your pants laughing from writing the word "triggering"

INH5 posted:

Right, and they did that by threatening to burn down pizza parlors that might hypothetically discriminate against them instead of things like marches where they tried to appear as nice and respectful as possible to contrast with the inevitable violent response while the media was watching and PR campaigns to tell middle America, "don't be afraid of us, all we want to do is settle down with our partners and raise 2.5 kids in the suburbs just like you."

it's pretty well-established among actual activists that radical propositions and the threat of radical violence support reform by making it more palatable to elites, yes.

also, the common perception of homosexuality hasn't become any whiter since the 90s and DOMA, you idiot.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
man the thread i've always wanted is zeitgueist and sedanchair debating with natetimm and the other luminaries!!!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Effectronica posted:

so how many times have you pissed your pants laughing from writing the word "triggering"

Haven't laughed at all specifically at using the word triggering, but I have laughed at how angry it makes you.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Zeitgueist posted:

lol PTSD is not a real thing silly trigger warning sjws
It is a real thing, which is why it's bad that it's been turned into an unfunny joke by people who freak out about pomegranates.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

KoldPT posted:

you know 4chan came from SA right

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Haven't laughed at all specifically at using the word triggering, but I have laughed at how angry it makes you.

okay, so we've gone to accusing people of being angry, from trying to roll with the punches. are we almost at the point where you melt down?

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

I said come in! posted:

its narrated by a black dude who spent 10 years researching racism in London.

My apologies. I'll have to watch it later.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

XMNN posted:

It is a real thing, which is why it's bad that it's been turned into an unfunny joke by people who freak out about pomegranates.

that straight-up isn't what happened. the rachel dolezal case didn't cause people to start thinking that blackness is fake, after all

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sinnlos posted:

My apologies. I'll have to watch it later.

It really is a good documentary that raises some good points. I went into it assuming I would agree with none of it, ending up finding a lot of the points raised to be good and at least thought provoking.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Effectronica posted:

okay, so we've gone to accusing people of being angry, from trying to roll with the punches. are we almost at the point where you melt down?

You already had a melt down earlier in this thread.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Uh, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I said come in! posted:

You already had a melt down earlier in this thread.

lol

• Locked thread