Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think this is sweet. Sure his hobby is weird, but he looks like he washes, has clean clothes, and to take said photos he has to go outside.

Be proud of your photos weird street light man.

So how many cool street light pics did you score this year? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

My Lovely Horse posted:

A man who never eats pork bung is never a whole man.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

There was a great story, on This American Life, about an old slaughterhouse rumor. Pork bung was being saved, and sold to restaurants as imitation calamari. After a whole lot of research, and chasing this rumor down, they wound up with nothing to confirm or deny. They just decided to fry some up, and see how it went. They sampled it alongside actual calamari, and...

It fooled their taste testers.

I've since resigned myself to the possibility that I've gladly eaten fried pig rear end.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

^^ https://soundcloud.com/this-american-life/484-doppelg-ngers

You have spoiled the outcome, but it's still an amazing segment. I was reminded of it when I saw the pork bung picture too (and glad I was beaten to the Sleeping Dogs reference).

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 12:31 on Jun 26, 2015

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The actual punchline of that picture and that episode of TAL is that the reporter asked a anthropologist who had lived in China for 40 years whether they might harvest bung for food. He got accused of racism for playing on stereotypes of other cultures eating weird things.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Okay, that's bullshit. I've actually eaten pork bung, and it was even sliced into rings and fried. It tastes nothing like calamari. There's a Sichuan place downtown that has a lot of traditional stuff on the menu, and whenever we go there we make sure to order one weird thing, and one time it was crispy pork intestine.

It wasn't all that bad, texture was okay and it was cooked with plenty of garlic, but it never quite lets you forget you're eating pig assholes.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Clitch posted:

There was a great story, on This American Life, about an old slaughterhouse rumor. Pork bung was being saved, and sold to restaurants as imitation calamari. After a whole lot of research, and chasing this rumor down, they wound up with nothing to confirm or deny. They just decided to fry some up, and see how it went. They sampled it alongside actual calamari, and...

It fooled their taste testers.

I've since resigned myself to the possibility that I've gladly eaten fried pig rear end.

Well yeah, you've eaten hot dogs, right?

holttho
May 21, 2007

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

People have weird hangups about eating stuff. I once cooked beeftongue for a potluck, and served it sliced, and this one guy ate a bunch of it before I told him what it was, whereupon he got angry because he's been tricked into eating something gross.

If it's safe and tasty, why not eat it?

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

People have weird hangups about eating stuff. I once cooked beeftongue for a potluck, and served it sliced, and this one guy ate a bunch of it before I told him what it was, whereupon he got angry because he's been tricked into eating something gross.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

BonHair posted:

My friend had the same reaction about morcilla once I told her what it was.

More morcilla for me!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Eating semen is pretty common though, and that's despite the fact that some of the semen-eaters don't even like the taste.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Humans are at top of the food chain, We will eat anything.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The MSJ posted:

Humans are at top of the food chain, We will eat anything.

My 7th grade biology teacher was a huge loving dick. He made us draw a food chain and I went nuts with it because I loved science and I drew up a huge web of animals but I had a loop where gorillas eat lice but also the lice eat the gorilla and he just put a red x over it and took points off like I must have made a mistake and not done that extremely on purpose you bitter old gently caress.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Krinkle posted:

My 7th grade biology teacher was a huge loving dick. He made us draw a food chain and I went nuts with it because I loved science and I drew up a huge web of animals but I had a loop where gorillas eat lice but also the lice eat the gorilla and he just put a red x over it and took points off like I must have made a mistake and not done that extremely on purpose you bitter old gently caress.

If I was the man who did the , I would of liked it .

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

My Lovely Horse posted:

A man who never eats pork bung is never a whole man.

Why don't you have a pork bung in your hand?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

You could at least buy it dinner first.

Ax-Man Doom
Sep 17, 2003

The Ax-Man Cometh.

Poignant stuff; I shed a tear.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010

Today I learned that for a raw foodstuff pork bung is pretty shelf stable.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Ax-Man Doom posted:

Poignant stuff; I shed a tear.

lyk if u cry evrytiem

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

BonHair posted:

Where the hell can I get beef tongue in the USA? Can I get it in the USA outside of japanese restaurants?

I have never understood the reasoning behind being grossed out by eating beef tongue. It's loving delicious. When I was in Japan I actually took the Shinkansen to Sendai, just to eat it where it was considered an area delicacy. I honestly can't decide between which I preferred, Kobe beef in Kobe, beef tongue in Sendai or beef intestine in a horumon restaurant in Osaka.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
You can buy it at kroger

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

darkhand posted:

You can buy it at kroger

Hell, I've seen it at Walmart.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Retro Access posted:

Where the hell can I get beef tongue in the USA? Can I get it in the USA outside of japanese restaurants?

I have never understood the reasoning behind being grossed out by eating beef tongue. It's loving delicious. When I was in Japan I actually took the Shinkansen to Sendai, just to eat it where it was considered an area delicacy. I honestly can't decide between which I preferred, Kobe beef in Kobe, beef tongue in Sendai or beef intestine in a horumon restaurant in Osaka.

You can probably find it at little mom and pop places, farmer's markets of some sort, or places where people with more traditional diets shop (I have no idea how else to put that, sorry). Just shop around and you can find all sorts of cool and wonderful stuff but you might need to drive out of cities. If there are Amish around they'll probably sell you stuff like that. If you can find an actual, proper meat market or butcher I'm sure you could ask them and they'll either point you in the right direction or let you know they can get it. It can take some digging but I'm sure somebody, somewhere has it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Retro Access posted:

Where the hell can I get beef tongue in the USA?

Ask for "La Lingua"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blarzgh posted:

Ask for "La Lingua"

Or avoid asking for it

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Retro Access posted:

Any good Mexican restaurant will have beef tongue tacos.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Retro Access posted:

If your local supermarkets don't have it, try a butcher shop. Even podunk towns often have at least one real butcher shop If they don't keep tongue in stock they can easily get it in. If you live in a city you can also try an ethnic market, they often have odd things you don't see in mainstream american supermarkets.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Retro Access posted:

All over.

I was grossed out for a while when I was a little kid, and asked "Why do they call it tongue?".

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Big Grunty Secret posted:

My friend had the same reaction about morcilla once I told her what it was.

More morcilla for me!

Whenever I get Chinese, I always get spicy chicken feet, and am always secretly thrilled when no one else in the group wants to try them.

the Buttocks!
Oct 12, 2010

Retro Access posted:

Almost any taco truck will serve lingua burritos and other stuffs.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Istari posted:

Whenever I get Chinese, I always get spicy chicken feet, and am always secretly thrilled when no one else in the group wants to try them.

Those are delicious. I always get the "Grandma's chicken feet" song stuck in my head when I order them, though. I can't find a youtube of it, but it was a "Talk Soup" joke back when it was still "Talk Soup".

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bored posted:

Those are delicious. I always get the "Grandma's chicken feet" song stuck in my head when I order them, though. I can't find a youtube of it, but it was a "Talk Soup" joke back when it was still "Talk Soup".

CHICKENHEADS!

I'm so glad someone else remembers that. You can keep the chicken feet though, too bony for my liking.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What is proper beef tongue preparation? Roast and slice?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Goodpancakes posted:

Boil quickly and shock to peel. Sous vide. Torch. Slice.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Goodpancakes posted:

I either slice and sauté, or put it in the slow cooker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Turned into hot dogs.

• Locked thread