Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
gently caress yeah, i did it

aegis shield can block almagrest lmao

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Hmm. No, that won't do. That won't do at all.

:getin:

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

:allears:

This was surprisingly tense. Exdeath hits really hard in his 1st attack pattern. The 2nd one was much more manageable, thanks to the Reflect Rings. On to World 3.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

FillInTheBlank posted:

Those are some weird filters you on in your emulator.

honestly didn't even notice; never even touched the settings, so I'm not sure how it got switched. I might have set it to low-quality to see if it would run faster on my old computer when I got the emulator back in 2008.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Vil posted:

They also give somewhat low experience if you'd rather not overlevel, and decent gil. You can learn a lot of abilities while gaining relatively few levels there.

And I think the quicksave idea with the gil turtle is to use quicksave's other effect of resetting your steps to next encounter. Though I wonder if that applies to the gil turtle as well, since I feel it works differently than your standard random encounter.

It works there I did it once or twice for some elixir monies.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Hmm. No, that won't do. That won't do at all.

:getin:

And you can STILL kill Omega with this team (Calmlock with Red Mage and Beastmaster while Zerk attacks and Summoner busts out Ramuh). It'll take forever, but I've totally taken him down with Ramuh summons alone.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Did they fix the bug in the GBA version that lets you use Thornlet to get obscenely high Magic for Gaia Hammer and Rune Axe?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Did they fix the bug in the GBA version that lets you use Thornlet to get obscenely high Magic for Gaia Hammer and Rune Axe?

Yes, sadly.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm wondering if it's worth trying to Thief's Knife four Dragon Lances to attempt Shinryu with my team or not, since I can't Berserk him.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Anyone got any ideas for Shinryu with a Ninja, Ranger, Geomancer, and Bard? No way of Berserking him that I can think of.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Peeked at my jobs for next run...

This is going to suck, isn't it?

SoulCannon is immune to wind :negative:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mustard Iceman posted:

:stare: Wow. That is ... unfortunate.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

49! Room for one more Fartz victory!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Anyone got any ideas for Shinryu with a Ninja, Ranger, Geomancer, and Bard? No way of Berserking him that I can think of.

Berserk on Shinryu's nice to have, but it's not necessary. If you can put down enough offense, you can kill him before he kills you. Alternatively, lots and lots of Shell, but that's not an option for your team. Anyway, what I'd do is this:

Apollo's Harp and Sasuke's Katana on the Ninja, !Rapid Fire a Chicken Knife on the Ranger, !Rapid Fire Assassin's Dagger on Geomancer, and I'm not even joking on this one, Main Gauche and !Image on the Bard. Some arrangement of Coral Rings and Hermes Sandals on everyone. I'd go with Hermes Sandals on the Ninja and Ranger, Coral Rings on the other two. They can use their first actions getting the other two up and then you've got a pair of hasted death machines, and hopefully you kill him before he kills you. If that doesn't work, then adjust the number of Coral Rings until it does. Give someone, probably the Bard, the Bone Mail so there's a chance of Roulette whiffing and Poison Breath not completely killing you. You'll need lots of luck, but there's a possibility you go an entire loop through his script without him killing you. That might be all you need for your offense to succeed.

Shinryu's always great fun because it's possible for basically any party to beat him. Omega's an rear end in a top hat and there's only so many options that realistically work.

EDIT: Just remembered the bard is one of the six that can't use Bone Mail, another notch in its belt of being an awful class with an incredibly ability. Give it to the Ninja then, but remember you'll have to forgo Hermes Sandals in that case. Adjust to taste.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Im in world 3 just getting into fork tower and i'm level 32, none of my guys have over 1k hp yet.

I'm gonna have to grind like a bitch to survive some of the later bosses arent I?

Dancer/Summoner/Bard/WHM

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Thief/Berserk/Beastmaster/Dancer. Doing some Gold Needle funsies in Castle Bal now; I'm stealing as I go, but no TwinLances yet. I figure if I get any it's just a bonus, but am I underestimating them? Should I make sure to get 1 or 2 before I move on?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

CapitalistPig posted:

Im in world 3 just getting into fork tower and i'm level 32, none of my guys have over 1k hp yet.

I'm gonna have to grind like a bitch to survive some of the later bosses arent I?

Dancer/Summoner/Bard/WHM

Between Golem and Shell, all you have to worry about is ~800 damage from Almagest.

You'll be fine.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Is grinding levels in the sealed castle really that useful?

I have a beastmaster, but I also have a loving zerker that I'd need to have dead so he doesn't keep breaking control.

And you can't put Blaze on autobattle.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Edward_Tohr posted:

Between Golem and Shell, all you have to worry about is ~800 damage from Almagest.

You'll be fine.

Ok cool, I'm sure I'll break 1k before I get to the rift getting all the later summons and whatnot anyway.

(I always forget about Golem)

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

gbuchold posted:

Thief/Berserk/Beastmaster/Dancer. Doing some Gold Needle funsies in Castle Bal now; I'm stealing as I go, but no TwinLances yet. I figure if I get any it's just a bonus, but am I underestimating them? Should I make sure to get 1 or 2 before I move on?

Only thieves and ninjas can use them, so you'd only need one.

That said.... it's probably worth grabbing one, just so your thief can contribute to boss fights before you get the Chicken Knife.

FairGame posted:

Is grinding levels in the sealed castle really that useful?

I have a beastmaster, but I also have a loving zerker that I'd need to have dead so he doesn't keep breaking control.

And you can't put Blaze on autobattle.

Unless you're terribly, terribly underleveled, no.

That said, if you have some way of putting your berserker to sleep, that'll solve that problem for you.

But yeah, no need to grind.

CapitalistPig posted:

Ok cool, I'm sure I'll break 1k before I get to the rift getting all the later summons and whatnot anyway.

(I always forget about Golem)

Never forget about Golem. :911:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Mustard Iceman posted:

!Zeninage kills the side cannons and does nice damage, !Dance also messes up the main part with Sword Dance, and if all else fails you can get Dragoon in the air before Surge Cannon fires. You're perfectly fine.

EDIT: Oh my god, I am an idiot. Sorry.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Are there any specific rooms in the Barrier Tower you guys use to grind reflect rings? I just want to find a room with Reflect Knights but without those dirt ghost fuckers who blind on counter.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
Back here in the slow lane, Siren fell today!

I normally only play about 20 minutes a day but I'm going to put some extra time in and try to get to my Water job unlock before bed time. Thankfully Monk seems pretty powerful for the early game and nothing's really come close to beating me yet. I'm scared about my Water roll though - what if it's Berserker? :ohdear:

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Edward_Tohr posted:

Only thieves and ninjas can use them, so you'd only need one.

That said.... it's probably worth grabbing one, just so your thief can contribute to boss fights before you get the Chicken Knife.
Oh! Thought it was just a generic dagger. Thanks, I'll make sure to snag one before I traipse along.

In response to an earlier thread: Berserker with Dancing Dagger is possibly my new favorite thing outside of Page 32 voiding chumps and dropping Bearaga on Gilgamesh

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Ghost-Slug posted:

Back here in the slow lane, Siren fell today!

I normally only play about 20 minutes a day but I'm going to put some extra time in and try to get to my Water job unlock before bed time. Thankfully Monk seems pretty powerful for the early game and nothing's really come close to beating me yet. I'm scared about my Water roll though - what if it's Berserker? :ohdear:

Then you can give them Barehanded and steamroll the rest of World 1.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bufuman posted:

!Zeninage kills the side cannons and does nice damage, !Dance also messes up the main part with Sword Dance, and if all else fails you can get Dragoon in the air before Surge Cannon fires. You're perfectly fine.

EDIT: Oh my god, I am an idiot. Sorry.

And poo poo like this is why I'm using fiesta mod to unlock everything off the hop. :stare:

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Mega64 posted:

49! Room for one more Fartz victory!

Hah! Just made it on team Fartz.

]

Thanks for the advice Trasson, but I couldn't spare the time and possibly let someone else take the last Fartz spot. :agesilaus:

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 26, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

And that's 50! Thanks everyone for fulfilling my pledge to justify a dick response I made to someone's question.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

OzFactor posted:

Are there any specific rooms in the Barrier Tower you guys use to grind reflect rings? I just want to find a room with Reflect Knights but without those dirt ghost fuckers who blind on counter.

I don't think so really, anywhere I found the knights the other guys were there too, I found it was easiest just to do it right in the first room so I could mindlessly run around mashing a until I needed to go back to the sub and rest.

It was convenient having the sub right there.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mega64 posted:

And that's 50! Thanks everyone for fulfilling my pledge to justify a dick response I made to someone's question.

If I had enough money I'd buy all 50 of us fartz avatars.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
do another $50 for players named Shartz

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

CapitalistPig posted:

Clearly we need a Fartz gang tag.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Man, my choice of Sealed Weapons is pretty easy. I can only use 4 of them at all and my Ninja will have his hands full with Twin Lance/Chicken Knife. Assassin's Dagger, Masamune and Rune Axe it is!

To be clear, the Masamune doesn't break when you use it to cast Haste, right?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nihilarian posted:

Man, my choice of Sealed Weapons is pretty easy. I can only use 4 of them at all and my Ninja will have his hands full with Twin Lance/Chicken Knife. Assassin's Dagger, Masamune and Rune Axe it is!

To be clear, the Masamune doesn't break when you use it to cast Haste, right?

Nope, this isn't FFT. :v:

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

CapitalistPig posted:

You could just copy Mega64's avatar and change Fiesta to Fartz. It would be perfect. Truly an avatar to be proud of.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

well this won't take long

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

It should be possible to beat Shinryu in a straighforward fight with this team, but if you're having a lot of trouble, you can always fall back on the Zombie strategy. Give one of your party members a Reflect Ring and let them be zombified by one of the necromancers in the area. When you engage Shinryu, use the Hide ability to remove the other three party members from the field. The zombified character can't be killed and the Reflect Ring ensures that Shinryu will eventually kill himself. It takes a while and is not very interesting, but it's a guaranteed victory.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Tonight's the night my band of thieves takes down Garula.

Currently level 10. I took a halfhearted stab at him last night with not enough potions using the back-row strategy and it felt doable, though I'd rather not spend 1200 hit points bonking him 22 at a time. I feel like that's not fast enough and I'll end up needing more than 99 potions anyway. At least I think I can go team attack to halfway when he starts countering.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Are any of the Sealed Weapons worth any money? I'm going to Istory Falls for a couple of items and you can skip the boss so I figure I might as well grab the tablet on the way out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

Are any of the Sealed Weapons worth any money? I'm going to Istory Falls for a couple of items and you can skip the boss so I figure I might as well grab the tablet on the way out

Sasuke's and Apollo's Harp are worth 10k, Gaia Bell is worth 4500.

• Locked thread