Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

also a normal one i guess?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That gif just needs one more frame to fit in with all the other DBZ battle loops.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurain posted:

also a normal one i guess?

I don't get it. Why does Goku look like an old man?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
New trailer coming out this Sunday:

quote:

There are 9 days left until the debut of “Dragon Ball Super”! The 30-second version of the first “Dragon Ball Super” on-air preview will be broadcast with the final “Dragon Ball Kai” episode the day after tomorrow, June 28th (Sunday)! Don’t miss it! (S)

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Petiso posted:

Continuing the god-talk, I was also surprised when I read King Kai saying to himself that it was wrong for him to root for Goku and that he should actually stay neutral, I guess it makes sense for gods to be the not interfering types and only helping heroes "help themselves" like in many myths, but then again the supreme Kais had to take care of Buu even though they (well, he, since there was only one at the time) ignored Freeza despite knowing him, maybe the gods are like the UN and Buu was so powerful it qualified as a weapon of mass destruction? Or maybe it's the fact that Bibidi tried to take over the sacred world of the Kais and would've ignored him too if he just went conquering planets?

The Kai's fought Buu because he was an existence-level threat. He could destroy all life in the Universe and all the souls in Otherworld if left unchecked.

However, I am of the opinion that Buu is a previous God of Destruction that went off the rails. Too much of his backstory matches up with Beerus' backstory. And if it was anybody except Toriyama I'd say it couldn't possibly be a coincidence how much they line up. But it is Toriyama, so for all we know he forgot he'd already used that past for Buu and recycled it for Beerus. But if true, that would also mean the Kai's have a certain obligation to fight him as they are Gods of Creation and it is their duty to work against Gods of Destruction.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
An interesting aspect there is how Toriyama relatively recently (within the last few years, I think) confirmed that yeah, Bibidi never actually 'created' Buu, but had actually found them. Buu otherwise just... exists, like some lovecraftian gumball.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Somewhat related - Babidi is in the series for too long. I'd be happy if I never saw that little fucker ever again or heard his voice. I can hear him saying "Majin Buu" in my head any time I think of Dragonball and it makes me want to drive an hammer into my skull.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

quote:

There are 9 days left until the debut of “Dragon Ball Super”!

Holy gently caress.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Szmitten posted:

Holy gently caress.

eh going to wait for the dub.

I know funimation's going to release this stateside pretty quickly right :ohdear:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Monaghan posted:

eh going to wait for the dub.

I know funimation's going to release this stateside pretty quickly right :ohdear:

There's a non-zero chance that we might get simul-streaming.

Though I guess the dub will take a bit longer.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New teaser, ahead of time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRL-Cj053rE

Courtesy of Kanzenshuu,

quote:

Heya! I’m Goku! After 18 years, we’re striking out in a new series! A while after the battle with Majin Buu, some incredible guys have showed up in front of us: God of Destruction Beerus and Champa! Well, they’re gods at any rate, so I’m gonna fight with all my strength against Beerus and company, and get even stronger! The “Dragon Ball Super” broadcast starts next time! Don’t miss it!

The more that appears, the more it's clear this does not take Battle of Gods as canon at all, even in the future, since it seems it's retconning how it happened. What a weird choice. Or maybe we're quickly timeskipping to after BoG for Champa? I'm somewhat confused, but I guess we'll see once it's properly out.

Personally I'll watch it in Japanese even if I really dislike grandma Goku because I'm very impatient. Also hoping for a good Latin American dub with the original voices, like Battle of Gods and Resurrection "F" and much unlike Kai.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Maybe theyll just pull a futurama and cut the movies into several episodes for the show.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, this is almost certainly revising the BoG events, perhaps because Toriyama's figured it could have been done better, or something. So rather than Beerus sleeping specifically to wait for Goku to arrive, the SSG is something that slipped to the back of his mind as he otherwise went around and did his job.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
wait can tehy no longer go ssgss in the new series because if so this is getting retarded

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm okay with the movies being kind of non canon along with the other movies tbh

Maybe the super saiyan god stuff will get a bit more development in the series for example

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

tbp posted:

wait can tehy no longer go ssgss in the new series because if so this is getting retarded

It takes place before Resurrection F so,yes, they cannot go SSGSS in the new series.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Episode breakdown posted for Abridged 47:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buaR8aUuS0g

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Full trailer for Resurrection F:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/06/26/dragon-ball-z-resurrection-f-official-trailer

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

That is quite the trailer.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fat Beerus.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why the gently caress are we seriously starting from before Beerus' proper introduction? Are both of the new movies seriously being made non-canon already?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

This is a pretty legit trailer.

Beef Chief posted:

Why the gently caress are we seriously starting from before Beerus' proper introduction? Are both of the new movies seriously being made non-canon already?

I think Toriyama is just taking full advantage of the time skip as a place to tell stories. I don't think he wants to do anything after Uub's introduction because that's the end of Goku's story.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think you guys are overestimating how involved Toriyama is with this show. It's definitely not a direct writing credit like there is for BoG or RoF.

Retconning the movies is stupid and a giant waste of time

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Blockhouse posted:

I think you guys are overestimating how involved Toriyama is with this show. It's definitely not a direct writing credit like there is for BoG or RoF.

Unless it leads to cooler poo poo. In which case the rule of cool applies.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It leading to cool poo poo would be nice, but it's gonna be hard to top Goku getting his license. Maybe Beerus and Whis getting their licenses?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Beef Chief posted:

It leading to cool poo poo would be nice, but it's gonna be hard to top Goku getting his license. Maybe Beerus and Whis getting their licenses?

beerus would just end up blowing up the dmv.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

King Kai: Otherworld Driving Instructor

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Until Beerus arrives it not like there will be much fighting and it'll be them living in a mundane world which always owns.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

Let's be honest whatever they put out probably will not be cooler than Beerus and Whis

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah, like I haven't seen the new movie before, but Battle of Gods is some of the best poo poo that Dragonball has ever put out by my mind, retconning it is... ultra loving stupid.

Are we sure it's an out and out retcon, though, and we aren't just gonna span the time before BoG, between BoG and Ressurection F and then the time after?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Let's be honest whatever they put out probably will not be cooler than Beerus and Whis

Beerus and Whis are in the series though?

We literally saw them in the preview.

We might be getting a different first contact for them. But who cares.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

Beerus and Whis are in the series though?

We literally saw them in the preview.

We might be getting a different first contact for them. But who cares.

I am saying this will probably not be better than BoG

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
To be fair, I went in to RoF expecting it to be poo poo and it blew me away, so I'll reserve judgement on Super.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

I am saying this will probably not be better than BoG

And. BoG still exists? Watch that.

People care way too much about canon and what's real and what's not. BoG doesn't phase out of existence because they decide to go a different route for the TV series.

Also it seems more likely that the only thing they are retconning about BoG is how long Beerus was sleeping before coming to earth.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Obviously the movie universe is not the same as the show universe. Parallel timelines! Similar but different!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Beerus and Whis learn to drive, Goku and Piccolo hold them up. Hijinks ensue.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dexo posted:

Oh sure, but having to sit and wait for however many episodes of set-up/re-use of BoG's plot have to pass before we get something cool is not sitting well with me.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Oh sure, but having to sit and wait for however many episodes of set-up/re-use of BoG's plot have to pass before we get something cool is not sitting well with me.

That's gonna be the most problematic thing, discounting the possibility of new material also sucking. I realise even in Japan not everyone will have seen the film, but it almost certainly got watched by the bulk of people who'll go on to watch Super week by week, so a near retread is gonna be tedious. That might be why they're introducing Champ early in, if the second trailer is any indication, so there's the assurance of some new element playing in.

Kinda curious what they're berating Beerus about though. Overstepping his boundaries as a god of destruction (ie, if the planet he just blew up was one he wasn't meant to touch), or some other matter?

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
goku's work outfit looks loving Rad on him in super saiyan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
wait why the heck is this before rof. i wanted to see the new power levels and top class villains. its garbage knowing the future and i do not like this

• Locked thread