Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revolther
May 27, 2008
With xposed there were a few mods that enabled resizable floating multiwindows.

No clue if it's something still around with the switch to art and xposed playing catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Hey, so I setup a little TinyCore Linux VM with just adb and fast boot.

http://bit.ly/1JInSku

The username is android, password android. You should be to able to install VMWare player and then spin it up. It's zipped, with an MD5 in the directory as well. If someone wants to grab it and test it, figure it can help for those with Nexi devices.

Hey, just a quick bump on this, wondering if anyone has used it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Hey, just a quick bump on this, wondering if anyone has used it.

I tried using it last night with VMWare Player. Threw an error message saying the guest wasn't supported.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nimper posted:

I tried using it last night with VMWare Player. Threw an error message saying the guest wasn't supported.

I created it in VMWare Fusion, maybe that's why. Let me see if I can export it or downgrade the version it supports.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nimper posted:

What version of Player do you have?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

What version of Player do you have?

Whatever was on the vmware website. I'm assuming it's 7.0

edit: VMware Player 7.1.2 is the latest version available

nimper fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 26, 2015

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nimper posted:

Whatever was on the vmware website. I'm assuming it's 7.0

edit: VMware Player 7.1.2 is the latest version available

Ok. Let me see if I can revert the compatibility mode and export a working one.

EDIT: I reverted it back to a version compatible with VMware Workstation 7, I'm not sure how Player fits that, but it's like seven version behind what I had it set to. It's uploaded but not in a zip or tar.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 26, 2015

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
For quite a while I was proud owner of a random reboot issue which followed me from the Nexus 5 to the Nexus 6, and which I'm pretty sure I've nailed down to Tasker.

Having apparently resolved that one, and stepped up to the M preview, I've got a new one now. The phone crashes hard, all the way to pre-decryption, and the logs only reflect a SIGSEGV thrown at 0x0 by the boot animation of all things. Those seem to be thrown post-crash during the reboot.

I am expecting this to be a consequence of my modified kernel, which would be right and just, I'm mostly just here to whine about XDA being the only place besides this thread to seek tech support, and about seeking tech support on XDA.

The dev is quite professional and very responsive, but also getting drat tired of hearing from me. I'll probably be doing one or more of reverting to 5.1 or to the stock kernel, but I'd still like to know what could live in userland and crash the device that thoroughly.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Edit: Well, poo poo, all my questions were answered in your XDA post and I'm out of ideas for now.

datajosh fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 26, 2015

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I wonder if this is the right place to ask, but after some exploring it seems so.
I'v been thinking of buying this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Dr...=item3aaa0ea0b5
Motorola Droid 4 used smartphone that seems to be carrier bound to Verizon.
I life in Finland where Verizon doesn't offer service and I was wondering if I need to root the phone to get it working here.
The reason I want to buy this thing is the physical keyboard and it should run Ingress, that my old Nokia E7 doesn't do.
Would I need to root the phone to use it or is there a way to get it unlocked by Verizon, since I don't live in a country where they offer service?

Ed: damned typoes.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Ataxerxes posted:

I wonder if this is the right place to ask, but after some exploring it seems so.
I'v been thinking of buying this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Dr...=item3aaa0ea0b5
I life in Finland where Verizon doesn't offer service and I was wondering if I need to root the phone to get it working here.
The reason I want to buy this thing is the physical keyboard and it should run Ingress, that my old Nokia E7 doesn't do.
Would I need to root the phone to use it or is there a way to get it unlocked by Verizon, since I don't live in a country where they offer service?

Who is your cell service carrier? Even if you manage to get that thing unlocked, it might not have the right frequency bands to work with your carrier anyway.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Mine is called Saunalahti, a friend of mine bought a phone like that and got it running without issues in Finland, so I think that should be fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ataxerxes posted:

It has quad-band GSM, though I don't know if it's unlocked. It might be possible to get an unlock code if it's locked. If it is, it shouldn't require you to root.

That said, it's a pretty old phone that barely got any support and you should really, really learn to use virtual keyboards since physical keyboards are functionally dead outside of Blackberries.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Thanks for the advice. So it could be possible to get an official unlock code from Verizon or somewhere else? I don't mind the phone being an older model, the physical keyboard is my first priority.
To my understanding, based on the product description, this phone isn't unlocked.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Anyone know how to root a galaxy s3? I'm kinda nervous of all the crazy sites out there and I am not sure if it would be the same procedure as the S5 that was talked about earlier.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Your best bet is to just jump into XDA with your exact model (I don't know about the S3 but the S4 has a bunch of variants) and follow the instructions. If the S3 is anything like the S4 (or the galaxy S I own) it should be just flashing the cf-autoroot from chainfire via Odin in download mode. It may sound tedious but is simple as hell.

http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s3-on-android-4-34-4-2-new/

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I have kind of a dumb question. I was able to get my Note 4 on a custom rom but that's where my knowledge ends.

I want to put the stock firmware back on my T-Mobile Note 4, coming from CM12.1. I like CM, it's nice, but the only thing I really value it for is the themer, and who cares. I'm mostly just really tired of my camera being a massive piece of poo poo ever since I switched over.

So unless somebody has a suggestion to fix that (I've tried tons of different camera apps) I'd like to go back to the lollipop Touchwiz rom. Now, that seems really easy. I've already downloaded "T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4 SM-N910T Stock Firmware" from this page and flashing it back with Odin as per this guide seems extremely easy as well.

However, this gives me pause:

quote:

However, if coming from custom ROM, you may need to do a factory reset. Doing a factory reset in stock recovery (after unrooting) WILL ERASE EVERYTHING on your phone. You may have to do that so if you are coming from custom ROM, BACKUP EVERYTHING on your phone before following the guide.

Sounds good. Is it as easy, then, as using ODIN to flash over the stock rom, then booting into recovery (volume up, home, power) and doing a factory reset, which will then make my phone completely unrooted and stock? Whereupon I'd probably just reroot it anyway since I've already tripped KNOX. I have I custom recovery installed, will flashing the stock firmware put me back to the 'stock recovery' that I need? It sounds obvious, but I just want to make 100% sure before I do this. It was a very expensive phone and I don't want to gently caress anything up somehow.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

So I have kind of a dumb question. I was able to get my Note 4 on a custom rom but that's where my knowledge ends.

I want to put the stock firmware back on my T-Mobile Note 4, coming from CM12.1. I like CM, it's nice, but the only thing I really value it for is the themer, and who cares. I'm mostly just really tired of my camera being a massive piece of poo poo ever since I switched over.

So unless somebody has a suggestion to fix that (I've tried tons of different camera apps) I'd like to go back to the lollipop Touchwiz rom. Now, that seems really easy. I've already downloaded "T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4 SM-N910T Stock Firmware" from this page and flashing it back with Odin as per this guide seems extremely easy as well.

However, this gives me pause:

Sounds good. Is it as easy, then, as using ODIN to flash over the stock rom, then booting into recovery (volume up, home, power) and doing a factory reset, which will then make my phone completely unrooted and stock? Whereupon I'd probably just reroot it anyway since I've already tripped KNOX. I have I custom recovery installed, will flashing the stock firmware put me back to the 'stock recovery' that I need? It sounds obvious, but I just want to make 100% sure before I do this. It was a very expensive phone and I don't want to gently caress anything up somehow.

Wait for a Samsunger to answer but it sounds to me like you understand everything and have it correct.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Just went ahead and did it, and yeah, that's exactly how it works. Alas, now I am on Touchwiz again, with all its various foibles, but I actually had never tried the Lollipop touchwiz before now. I went from Kitkat touchwiz to Lollipop CM. Touchwiz seems every bit as responsive and quick as CM was, just now it's got this loving bloat that I have to disable.

Oh well. I have to say that it's really nice that my phone no longer takes like 2-3 seconds to wake up, now. I got used to it, but now that it's instant again, it's really nice.

Camera works like a dream again, like it did before I rooted it.

Weirdly, doing this seemed to untrip KNOX? I didn't even think that was possible, since I thought that was an actual hardware thing. But that voided warranty thing no longer shows up when I boot my phone...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Daily Forecast posted:

Just went ahead and did it, and yeah, that's exactly how it works. Alas, now I am on Touchwiz again, with all its various foibles, but I actually had never tried the Lollipop touchwiz before now. I went from Kitkat touchwiz to Lollipop CM. Touchwiz seems every bit as responsive and quick as CM was, just now it's got this loving bloat that I have to disable.

Oh well. I have to say that it's really nice that my phone no longer takes like 2-3 seconds to wake up, now. I got used to it, but now that it's instant again, it's really nice.

Camera works like a dream again, like it did before I rooted it.

Weirdly, doing this seemed to untrip KNOX? I didn't even think that was possible, since I thought that was an actual hardware thing. But that voided warranty thing no longer shows up when I boot my phone...

If you flash it correctly, Knox flag will be again set to hide the flag, so your phone is back to "warranty" status. When it comes to touchwiz bloatware, you can disable shitloads of apps but if you truly want to stop them bothering you, you'll end rooting and then using titanium backup to freeze apps.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I'm pretty sure this was different back on my old phone with CM, but now on my Note 4 when I disable orientation, it always locks to portrait, when I actually want to lock it at the current orientation. I know you can sometimes turn your phone upside down, but sometimes with chargers and headphones, it doesn't really work.

Is there a mod or xposed addon or something to fix orientation locking? It makes reading stuff in bed really annoying.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Anyone know a better fix than wipe cache/davik through recovery for splash screen hang (won't boot even with hard key reset simulate battery pull?)
HTC one m8 and xposed.

I may have to downgrade or go to stock it's pissing me off. ARHD 34.0 Rom atm

Also cross breeder or some sort of DNS fix thingy kind of intrigues me but I don't want to go back to 4.4.4 really.

Even though I'm not fully sold on seeder and tried to disable it still installed.

What are you other HTC nerds using?

I'd say screw xposed at this point but then I would miss out on youtube background playback, some adblocking etc.

I mean I tried a lot of stuff and I pared it down quite a bit. Anyone else use amplify and DS power saver and experimental greenify? I don't notice any problems but they probably can't all interact very well can they?

Also, how trivial is it to remove stocks stuff from the ROM? I'm a champ at disabling and freezing by now but I don't see why I has to poo poo up my partition when I never do over the air updates.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Do a factory reset and if that doesn't work, wipe system/data/chache and do a clean install.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Yeah I need to check the md5s this time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So with the Fire phone hitting $160 (and potentially lower) and comes with a $99 prime subscription I was going to pay for anyway I've strongly considered picking one up to dick around with. It would not be my daily driver (unless proven to be solid) but wanted to get a sense of what the custom rom landscape was like with the Fire. I've never delved into messing with custom Android roms so not sure where to begin evaluating. I've heard that the Fire phone has been rooted and CM is available for it. Which version of Android is it? Kitkat? What does flashing CM give you? Play services? ASOP? Just trying to get a sense, any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

TraderStav posted:

So with the Fire phone hitting $160 (and potentially lower) and comes with a $99 prime subscription I was going to pay for anyway I've strongly considered picking one up to dick around with. It would not be my daily driver (unless proven to be solid) but wanted to get a sense of what the custom rom landscape was like with the Fire. I've never delved into messing with custom Android roms so not sure where to begin evaluating. I've heard that the Fire phone has been rooted and CM is available for it. Which version of Android is it? Kitkat? What does flashing CM give you? Play services? ASOP? Just trying to get a sense, any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Honestly XDA is probably the best bet for this sort of stuff. Not that you won't get help here, but XDA is definitely the best place.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

TraderStav posted:

Thanks!

As a rule, you absolutely don't want to do anything other than stock rooted or CyanogenMod*, you almost certainly don't want to do anything with a phone unless you have reliable access to factory or system restore images (and not just some dude's Nandroid, actual up-to-date "download from the manufacturer's web site or device management utility" images), and you probably don't want to buy a phone if you think you're just going to beeline for CyanogenMod. A phone that costs effectively $60 might be a reason to break that rule (although you'll probably have to stay on stock for long enough for it to do whatever gets you the free year of Prime, and hopefully it's not just for the phone), but do your homework first.

FAKE EDIT: You know what I wouldn't. A cursory scan of XDA makes it look like nothing but trouble.

*Yes, I am actually prepared to call this an absolute. We have no idea what the target even is once people have started dragging in stuff like Xposed and Weedlord Goku's Sick-rear end Rom for Tearing Around the Parking Lot and not even God knows what else, so you'd be entirely on your own. When people say to reflash and report again (or dig out logcats and do that stuff anyway), that's why. Last thing you want on a phone is a snowflake error.

Also CyanogenMod is mostly for people who have devices too old to get to 5.0 officially (since eventually even 4.4 is going to lose safe WebView the way everything earlier did) or whose manufacturers gave them real busted stock frameworks (and considering this isn't even a problem on current stock Samsungs or anything else 5.0+ that's otherwise worth buying, if you buy into this position now you have both fundamentally and categorically screwed up).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 9, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
That's fair and good advice. Only counter I would have is that the phone would not be my daily driver so would be used to tinker or have as a dedicated music player in my car since my Z3c can't handle music and Waze with the lollipop memory leak.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TraderStav posted:

That's fair and good advice. Only counter I would have is that the phone would not be my daily driver so would be used to tinker or have as a dedicated music player in my car since my Z3c can't handle music and Waze with the lollipop memory leak.

For the money, you are much better off getting a Moto E or Moto G. Nearly stock android, from a company that cares about updating.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ok. Let me see if I can revert the compatibility mode and export a working one.

EDIT: I reverted it back to a version compatible with VMware Workstation 7, I'm not sure how Player fits that, but it's like seven version behind what I had it set to. It's uploaded but not in a zip or tar.

I tried your new version in vmware player and still got an error. So I downloaded virtualbox and the original image worked the first time without a hitch.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nimper posted:

I tried your new version in vmware player and still got an error. So I downloaded virtualbox and the original image worked the first time without a hitch.

Nice! Did the adb tools work? I think they need to be updated to the newest version, but they just worked on my N5 with Dev preview M2.

I have the paid version of VMWare Fusion on my Mac, I think that VMWare has some interesting compatibility matrix between paid and free products, so I'm not sure what version to downgrade it too, but if it works in Virtual Box, then great!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Anyone else getting green and purple video playback on the latest n5 m preview build?

Only above a certain resolution so guessing its when the hardware acceleration kicks in

Wondering if it's the stupid despair kernel I'm using to root it

e: and yes, reverting to the stock kernel sorted it

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 11, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Anyone else getting green and purple video playback on the latest n5 m preview build?

Only above a certain resolution so guessing its when the hardware acceleration kicks in

Wondering if it's the stupid despair kernel I'm using to root it

e: and yes, reverting to the stock kernel sorted it

Why would you use a different kernel? What possible reason could one have?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's currently the only way of getting root on the m preview

I'm not doing it for *performance* or anything silly like that!

Tried the 'Hells Core' (ugh) kernel too and that had the same issue

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 11, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It's dumb that developer previews don't just come rooted. They aren't for normals in the first place.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I just wish someone would build a stock kernel with the stuff that makes it rootable and nothing else

But no, everything has to have a million tweaks and 'optimisations' that inevitably breaks poo poo

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
N/m, wrong thread, sorry

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 11, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Whizbang posted:

It's dumb that developer previews don't just come rooted. They aren't for normals in the first place.

Makes sense, I hadn't considered that.

Skarsnik posted:

I just wish someone would build a stock kernel with the stuff that makes it rootable and nothing else

But no, everything has to have a million tweaks and 'optimisations' that inevitably breaks poo poo

I hope there's a root method without a modified kernel by the time the official software drops. :ohdear:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well the root method for L uses a modified kernel too, but that's usually via a patch (chainfires autoroot does this)

Unfortunately he's been very quiet recently, but hopefully he'll do the same for m once its released

Anyone have a clue how to rebuild or patch a kernel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Kernel's still Linux*. Not quite drag-and-drop, but given that the kernel's an archive of other files it's not too far off.

LastInLine posted:

Why would you use a different kernel? What possible reason could one have?

M Preview won't boot or something if someone's done things to /system. I don't know; I don't have a Nexus. I had a 2012 Nexus 7 but flash rot finally got it.

But yes, ~the scene~ is up its own rear end again to the levels we've feared.

*Technically only a kernel can be Linux. Hence GNU/pedantry and people waving off people referring to Tivo or Android, because they still think they can stop Linux-the-adjective from colloquially meaning 'a general-purpose computing platform built on top of the Linux kernel'.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 11, 2015