Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Please please please let the GOP ride into election season pushing a quixotic campaign to overturn a profoundly popular SCOTUS ruling.

I suspect they'll do so into the primary, then drop the subject like a hot potato in the general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I suspect they'll do so into the primary, then drop the subject like a hot potato in the general.

I realize that people can engage in doublethink pretty easily but that'll be one hell of a hard left for republican voters. Whoever wins the primary will be fire and brimstone about the gays marrying and then two weeks later they do everything they can to not talk about it? Might become a bit too on the nose there.

↓ Yeah that's what I mean- having to walk back everything you say in the primary hasn't exactly worked.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 26, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I realize that people can engage in doublethink pretty easily but that'll be one hell of a hard left for republican voters. Whoever wins the primary will be fire and brimstone about the gays marrying and then two weeks later they do everything they can to not talk about it?

Pretty much the last two elections have been republican candidates having to walk back the crazy poo poo they said to win the primary

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I realize that people can engage in doublethink pretty easily but that'll be one hell of a hard left for republican voters. Whoever wins the primary will be fire and brimstone about the gays marrying and then two weeks later they do everything they can to not talk about it?

What else are they going to do? Keep trying to wake up the imaginary Silent Majority? Either they drop the subject as fast and hard as they can after the primary, double down on it in the general, or try to walk a tightrope, and none of those are particularly good options for both the primary and general.

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

"And the Truth is that, due to the fundamental nature of human rights, marriage, and homosexuality, a union between two homosexuals is not, has never been, and will never be a legitimate marriage." - Matt Walsh

" In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say...segregation today...segregation tomorrow...segregation forever"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
At least the segregationists were poetic

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

quote:

Louisiana Gov, Bobby Jindal (R) on Friday suggested doing away with the Supreme Court during a speech in Iowa that followed the court's historic ruling on same-sex marriage.

"The Supreme Court is completely out of control, making laws on their own, and has become a public opinion poll instead of a judicial body," he told the crowd, as quoted by The Advocate newspaper. "If we want to save some money lets just get rid of the court."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/bobby-jindal-get-rid-of-scotus

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Its amazing how often they seem to define tyranny as being dragged kicking and screaming into modernity

beatlegs posted:

Louisiana Gov, Bobby Jindal (R) on Friday suggested doing away with the Supreme Court during a speech in Iowa that followed the court's historic ruling on same-sex marriage.

"The Supreme Court is completely out of control, making laws on their own, and has become a public opinion poll instead of a judicial body," he told the crowd, as quoted by The Advocate newspaper. "If we want to save some money lets just get rid of the court."

It is clear that the supreme court does not respect the constitution

therefore we should remove one of the key components of the constitution older than even the bill of rights.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pro click right here

Fox News had Todd Starnes and Franklin Grahm to talk about gaymeggedon

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4324006788001/franklin-graham-christians-should-prepare-for-persecution/#sp=show-clips

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pro click right here

Fox News had Todd Starnes and Franklin Grahm to talk about gaymeggedon

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4324006788001/franklin-graham-christians-should-prepare-for-persecution/#sp=show-clips

*tucks napkin into shirt*

Now this, this is what I've been waiting for.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

beatlegs posted:

CNN, MSNBC and FOX are all obsessing over the escaped convict getting shot. Hey guys, some really important poo poo happened in this country today. Hello?

BUT
WE
HAVE
A
POLICE
CHASE
:circlefap:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Its also ironic that for how much some right-wingers harp on America being a republic and not a democracy they ignore one of the key elements of the republic is the protection of basic rights from the whim of a majority.

EDIT: Also holy poo poo this guy works fast

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XTB2LCC/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_4wCJvb10JXJ90

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Imagine being someone who gave him money yesterday lol

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I'm not even really enjoying all the tears and wailing. I'm just too happy and good natured right now to even care. I'll gorge on the accumulated tears tomorrow I guess. Then Sunday's the parade.

God drat this weekend is gonna be gay as gently caress

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Imagine being someone who gave him money yesterday lol

Yeah, that's an awkward family reunion

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its amazing how often they seem to define tyranny as being dragged kicking and screaming into modernity

quote:

"The Supreme Court is completely out of control, making laws on their own, and has become a public opinion poll instead of a judicial body,"
The GOP shills need to get their message straight. Some are whining that the SCOTUS went against popular (gay-hating) opinion, while others including Hannity are acknowledging that the majority of US citizens are tolerant of gay lifestyles (edit: and claiming that the free market would have made gay marriage equal on its own eventually somehow).

Hazo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 26, 2015

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

beatlegs posted:

CNN, MSNBC and FOX are all obsessing over the escaped convict getting shot. Hey guys, some really important poo poo happened in this country today. Hello?

blood sells

bring on master shake :suspense:

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Cythereal posted:

What else are they going to do? Keep trying to wake up the imaginary Silent Majority? Either they drop the subject as fast and hard as they can after the primary, double down on it in the general, or try to walk a tightrope, and none of those are particularly good options for both the primary and general.

I know people have speculated - at their peril - in recent years about the death of the GOP and a permanent Democratic majority and blah blah blah... but man, at some point I have to imagine the GOP will schism. The tension between the Tea Party wing and hardline social conservatives on the one hand, and the gradually more progressive social climate (not to mention demographics) of the country at large on the other, puts their balls in a vise when it comes to Presidential politics. Seems like the hardcore right wing and the moderate wing split into two parties, or one wing simply collapses and the other cobbles something together out of the ruins and whatever sympathetic independents and conservative Democrats they can poach. Neither outcome looks great for them, but it would at least let the successor(s) to the current GOP start running candidates with a vaguely coherent ideology and platform.

Or - and I guess this is a possibility - accept the fact that they will be at a tremendous disadvantage when it comes to winning the Presidency for the foreseeable future. Just buckle down and keep loving things up at the state and Congressional levels for the next few decades until World War 3/death by climate change/the Rapture?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

master shake is live and calling it a political grab

http://player.listenlive.co/25211

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The Democrats split into a milquetoast neoliberal party and a social democratic party.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Miltank posted:

The Democrats split into a milquetoast neoliberal party and a social democratic party.

This would at least be more accurate with regards to actual political opinions.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

master shake is live and calling it a political grab

http://player.listenlive.co/25211

Jesus christ it is Master shake

I never heard him talk before

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Rexicon1 posted:

This would at least be more accurate with regards to actual political opinions.

It's what makes sense. The GOP deflates as the neoliberal democrats tilt slightly right until the only base the GOP has are evangelicals, conservative Catholics and the extreme right.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

"Is Roberts schizophrenic"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Jesus christ it is Master shake

I never heard him talk before

My favourite reoccurring RWM thread post

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My favourite reoccurring RWM thread post

It really is like people asking what "Amish" means in the Freep thread and it never gets old.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Miltank posted:

It's what makes sense. The GOP deflates as the neoliberal democrats tilt slightly right until the only base the GOP has are evangelicals, conservative Catholics and the extreme right.

Just for the record, you fall into that second category of the GOP base, right? Or is the first? Either way, as part of the catholic/evangelical right I thought you'd be more vocally disappointed with this outcome. Unless all your posting in the religion threads are just trolling.

Liberal_L33t fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 26, 2015

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

:byewhore:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@AnnCoulter: 14th amt is exclusively about freed slaves. With the gay marriage ruling, liberals have screwed blacks once again.

@MrGeorgeWallace: .@AnnCoulter How are you not a bag lady yet?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Ahahahaha, acting like Repubs would have any leverage over white Americans if it weren't for the existence of Mexicans to stoke fear over. (I mean sure there still would be blacks, but Republicans would still have about gently caress all control in the West and Southwest)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
"Now I want you to listen to what Thomas says, because it's genius."

Levin, you're alright.

Goddammit, he's referencing Locke :eng99:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm preemptively angry that no one except the daily show is gonna call any of these candidates on this stuff if any of them make the general and walk it back.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Upon analysis, reality deconstructs itself. Unity creates its own opposition. Then poo poo starts to get really crazy.

For a recent example, consider Karl Rove's belief in a permanent Republican majority. It ended up exacerbating the divides between the neocon, theocon, paleocon and libertarian wings of the party. The paleocons were on the losing end and basically don't exist anymore. The neocons and theocons further cemented their alliance (that had been status quo since Reagan but Bush II worked really hard to make the distinctions between the two camps non-existent) and libertarians formed a strange rump that can appeal to ultra-rich paleocons and motivate disenfranchised white urban youth and suburbanites.

More importantly, it's not like the financial engines driving conservatism are hurt by this decision. The 1% and .01% just need to find some new wedge issues to motivate voters. Assuming they don't use this as a motivation. Segregation and Roe v. Wade are settled issues but they motivate some nasty people to vote. And every little movement back to "the way things were" is viewed as a huge victory while obstructing actual progress becomes the status-quo.

There's always more and it is always worse.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hannity is so good right now, making fun of when liberals put on a southern accent in southern states while talking about today.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I'm preemptively angry that no one except the daily show is gonna call any of these candidates on this stuff if any of them make the general and walk it back.

Man, why bother with that stuff! There's a Police Chase!!!!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Eh he went right into shilling a pillow company, closing site. Still they sound so defeated it's hilarious.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Master Shake calling for impeachment of Court Justices. :lol:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It is clear that the supreme court does not respect the constitution

therefore we should remove one of the key components of the constitution older than even the bill of rights.

Replace the Supreme Court with American Idol style voting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

I honest to Christ can't believe this is real. It's like something from Idiocracy.