Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
dont know much about gamer gate but judging by how much journalists and liberals hate it it must be good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

whoever bought me this avatar im going to loving DESTROY YOU

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i think you have it exactly backwards

usually it isn't the gamers who are angry about being criticized who are punished for unpopular thought. usually it's the people who are doing the criticizing, as they do not conform to an idealized version of group think that many gamers identify as true gamer culture

nobody's swatting snoop_sephiroth420, they're swatting unpopular women like anita sarkeesian or zoe quinn
http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/3/8539733/gamergate-bomb-threat-washington-ggindc-milo-yiannopoulos-christina-hoff-summers
https://twitter.com/arthur_affect/status/594273153615958016

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

nobody's swatting snoop_sephiroth420, they're swatting unpopular women like anita sarkeesian or zoe quinn

No it's twitch streamers getting swatted. Never seen a report of Sarkeesian or Quinn being swatted, unless I'm mistaken.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

LostRook posted:

No it's twitch streamers getting swatted. Never seen a report of Sarkeesian or Quinn being swatted, unless I'm mistaken.

It really is snoop_sephiroth420 getting swatted. Huh.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
This thread is hilarious.

I like how on other continents twitter was turned into this powerful tool for organizing against oppressive government whereas here in North America it's mostly noteworthy for being the platform for one of the dumbest political controversies ever.

Also a bit thank you to whoever it was upthread that told me to look up Peter Coffin. I can't believe that kicking himself in the nuts was the last pathetic thing about that guy. :lol:

Dreylad posted:

students can want whatever they want but if american academic freedom rules aren't robust enough to protect professors from this poo poo then lol

I mean there's not much you can do when the board shits on you because you tweet about palestine but academic freedom groups in canada loving defend sexual harassment as academic freedom

Conservative concern trolling about free speech on campuses mostly seems like a way to try and blame SJWs for the total corporatization of higher education. Many undergraduate education programs have become degree mills that treat their students as a resource to be harvested, with university essentially becoming the new High School for many forms of white collar employment. The students (and often their parents) pick up on this, and they treat university bureaucracy in the same way that they've learned to deal with corporate bureaucracy's: if they encounter something they don't like then they complain incessantly and threaten to sue.

But talking about the ideological capture of high educations by neoliberal shitheads would be an uncomfortable topic for these people so instead we get subjected to these stories about SJWs running rampant. Yeah, SJWs are annoying and they can show up in university classes sometimes, but the only reason they could ever conceivably pose a threat is if academic freedom has been replaced with a corporate mindset that dictates that you should follow the path of least resistance in your pursuit of the allmighty dollar.

Folks trying to shut down any contrary opinion is annoying but in a university setting the solution isn't exactly a complicated one: tenure, unions and good academic freedom policies. Strangely you don't hear many conservatives advocating for any of those things.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LostRook posted:

No it's twitch streamers getting swatted.

what do you think the odds are that some fanatical tumblrite is hanging out on obscure twitch streams swatting those people, versus other people who tend to hang out on twitch

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Yeah I'm pretty sure the twitch swattings are mostly apolitical sociopathy. Twitter is a different story.

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007
Why would those evil gamers continue to attack those poor defenseless women who just want to be left alone?

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker

my strong and vocal opposition to women pointing out sexist attitude in games makes me an intellectual inheritor of the civil rights era

i will use my powerful words and talent to shut down SJW opinions on twitter one. by. one.

Is there anything more I need to know about this faction of gamergate (they're technically pro-gamergate?) aside from this, and also that it's more excitable proponents eagerly toss out death threats at strangers?

I haven't followed the gamergate drama step by step, only catching the occasional interview or article that reaches mainstream press, which can create an incomplete picture.

It's just surprising that this has had such long legs. Is there really anything more to it than socially impotent young men yelling, occasionally under the guise of fighting for journalistic honesty? I'd think they would have found new injustices to latch on to and use as a proxy for their ineffective flailing after a couple months.

If it's just that, it's loving horseshit that they take up a mantle that actually is a worthwhile point of discussion, were it not made toxic by this whole mess. Sure gaming journalism's problems are a tiny sideshow to the problems that exist across the field of journalism as a whole, but the idea that news outlets are influenced by the advertisers who pay them, is a hugely important issue. (obviously getting an honest opinion of a video game is nowhere near the importance of getting accurate reporting on important world events, but the issues are related.)

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...

Heteroy posted:

It's just surprising that this has had such long legs. Is there really anything more to it than socially impotent young men yelling, occasionally under the guise of fighting for journalistic honesty?
No, that's about it.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

what do you think the odds are that some fanatical tumblrite is hanging out on obscure twitch streams swatting those people, versus other people who tend to hang out on twitch

Sure, most of them are coming from third party trolls who have no agenda other than amusing themselves.

But one time a tumblrite did post the address of a pro-GG lawyer, then made a blog post telling all the idiots reading her blog to go to the LAPD website and file police reports against him. Calling that a SWATing may be a bit of a stretch, but he did end up leaving his home for at least one day after he called the LAPD and they said they couldn't guarantee anything because they would have to respond to emergency calls.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Sarah Butts is a dogfucker and pedophile.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

there's this psychological defense mechanism called projection, which in short means that you accuse others of doing the thing that you yourself do in order to deny that you do this thing

any claim that there is a greater number of individuals who are against harassment who actively engage in harassment rather than a greater number of individuals who choose to frequent internet boards where harassment is commonplace that engage in harassment, this is going to appear like projection to most external and casual observers. saying that no, they are the ones who are meaner than us, they are the ones who do this thing more frequently than we do - that is projection. please refer to that article for more in depth information

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
ayy lmao

what have you people posted about in the 40+ pages

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Helsing posted:

I like how on other continents twitter was turned into this powerful tool for organizing against oppressive government whereas here in North America it's mostly noteworthy for being the platform for one of the dumbest political controversies ever.

Also a bit thank you to whoever it was upthread that told me to look up Peter Coffin. I can't believe that kicking himself in the nuts was the last pathetic thing about that guy. :lol:

Conservative concern trolling about free speech on campuses mostly seems like a way to try and blame SJWs for the total corporatization of higher education. Many undergraduate education programs have become degree mills that treat their students as a resource to be harvested, with university essentially becoming the new High School for many forms of white collar employment. The students (and often their parents) pick up on this, and they treat university bureaucracy in the same way that they've learned to deal with corporate bureaucracy's: if they encounter something they don't like then they complain incessantly and threaten to sue.

But talking about the ideological capture of high educations by neoliberal shitheads would be an uncomfortable topic for these people so instead we get subjected to these stories about SJWs running rampant. Yeah, SJWs are annoying and they can show up in university classes sometimes, but the only reason they could ever conceivably pose a threat is if academic freedom has been replaced with a corporate mindset that dictates that you should follow the path of least resistance in your pursuit of the allmighty dollar.

Folks trying to shut down any contrary opinion is annoying but in a university setting the solution isn't exactly a complicated one: tenure, unions and good academic freedom policies. Strangely you don't hear many conservatives advocating for any of those things.

Thats the thing, I go to a relatively liberal state school and i have havent seen any sjws nor any young republicans protests. I had a few teachers where pretty far on the left, 2 of them were kinda of awful teachers for varying reasons. But most of my college experience has been non-political. and yeah, coffin is a pathetic gently caress. A lot of the anti like coffin, burch, bob and to an extent wu are only going full sjws to fit in with a perceived click. i mean hell burch destroyed his own marriage so its all he has got now. and coffin might be faking parts if not all his homelife for pity.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 27, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

I legit feel bad when you give a good effort post to my crappy posting, but I appreciate it.

I have to say I actually am not a big fan of CAUT in Canada because they support academic freedom - no matter what - which leads them to defending some pretty lovely things.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Heteroy posted:

Is there anything more I need to know about this faction of gamergate (they're technically pro-gamergate?) aside from this, and also that it's more excitable proponents eagerly toss out death threats at strangers?

I haven't followed the gamergate drama step by step, only catching the occasional interview or article that reaches mainstream press, which can create an incomplete picture.

It's just surprising that this has had such long legs. Is there really anything more to it than socially impotent young men yelling, occasionally under the guise of fighting for journalistic honesty? I'd think they would have found new injustices to latch on to and use as a proxy for their ineffective flailing after a couple months.

If it's just that, it's loving horseshit that they take up a mantle that actually is a worthwhile point of discussion, were it not made toxic by this whole mess. Sure gaming journalism's problems are a tiny sideshow to the problems that exist across the field of journalism as a whole, but the idea that news outlets are influenced by the advertisers who pay them, is a hugely important issue. (obviously getting an honest opinion of a video game is nowhere near the importance of getting accurate reporting on important world events, but the issues are related.)

it's been incoherent internet yelling since the begininng, but the main trigger was that a guy had a nasty breakup with his girlfriend and posted a bunch of rumors that she was a slut. it then became an internet crusade against the website that you dislike the most

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

there's this psychological defense mechanism called projection, which in short means that you accuse others of doing the thing that you yourself do in order to deny that you do this thing
Refer to

Al Cowens posted:

This cuts both ways.

This is like those times in Street Fighter when both players get in hadoken wars with each other.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

it's extremely ironic that you're accusing me of projecting here

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007
I hope everyone who sent death threats to ZQ, Wu and Sarkeesian is put in jail. (Because ZQ, Wu, Sarkeesian and probably Josh McinJosh would be put in jail)

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
There has to be a better word to use than "concern trolling".

Something like to describe when a conservative goes "turns out you're the real racist" but not in silly computer language.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

it's extremely ironic that you're accusing me of projecting here
http://popehat.com/2012/03/12/the-difference-between-us-and-them/

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Helsing posted:

I like you and the words you say.

This thread is all about mocking both sides, cause both sides are idiots and it's fun. :shrug:

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

it's been incoherent internet yelling since the begininng, but the main trigger was that a guy had a nasty breakup with his girlfriend and posted a bunch of rumors that she was a slut. it then became an internet crusade against the website that you dislike the most

"Rumors that she was a slut" and "Accusations that she had emotionally abused and manipulated him throughout their relationship" are two different things. It became an internet crusade largely because various websites tried to shut down all discussion of the matter (SA, where it was originally posted, for instance) for one reason or another which caused people to freak out even more than they ever would have otherwise.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Snuffman posted:

I like you and the words you say.

This thread is all about mocking both sides, cause both sides are idiots and it's fun. :shrug:

yeah. pretty much. as long as it doesnt turn out like the last time D&D did a video game thread, its cool. plus its been fun talking and laughing with people of differing opinions.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Heteroy posted:

It stopped being about journalistic anything after a month or two when the initial scandal blew over. All that's left are people that are addicted to outrage and convinced that video games are the front line in a culture war.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

The Droid posted:

"Rumors that she was a slut" and "Accusations that she had emotionally abused and manipulated him throughout their relationship" are two different things. It became an internet crusade largely because various websites tried to shut down all discussion of the matter (SA, where it was originally posted, for instance) for one reason or another which caused people to freak out even more than they ever would have otherwise.

He never wrote about her game though?

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Heteroy posted:

They've had a whole sub-hashtag for 10 loving months devoted to saying "no, actually we're not all white dudes." Usually with pictures to counter the constant accusations that they're sockpuppet accounts.

Not that that's even necessary at this point since in the past 2 months they've had like 8 real life meetings in various places and put up plenty of pictures on the internet that anyone can look up if they want to see who these people really are.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Like, the whole existence of Gamer Gate is baffling.

If you wanna talk about ethics in games journalism talk about the dude that got fired over his Kane and Lynch 2 review, not a woman that slept with a dude who never actually reviewed her free game nor had any editorial influence.

If you wanna talk about feminism in video games, talk about that. Two separate topics.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

INH5 posted:

They've had a whole sub-hashtag for 10 loving months devoted to saying "no, actually we're not all white dudes." Usually with pictures to counter the constant accusations that they're sockpuppet accounts.

Not that that's even necessary at this point since in the past 2 months they've had like 8 real life meetings in various places and put up plenty of pictures on the internet that anyone can look up if they want to see who these people really are.

Great. I can't wait to do just that.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Sinnlos posted:

I edited the post because really that point is irrelevant to the fact that places like the Escapist and neogaf and various subreddits tried to shut down the subject entirely early on which resulted in a massive backlash.

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007

Sinnlos posted:

He did, several times. What he didn't do was write a review, which is why people say the claim is bullshit, but it doesn't need to be a review. The main one was an article about indie games where the only game that got more than a passing mention was Depression Quest, ZQ was quoted several times and nobody else was, and there was no mention that they were at the very least close friends if not loving by that point. The outrage came not because of this, but because when people wanted to talk about it in the context of the rest of lovely games media, it was banned from discussion. Everywhere. Even Hellthread was only allowed after a shitload of pushback.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
AIDS.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012

Sinnlos posted:

He did prominently feature it in two articles.

Sinnlos posted:

Like, the whole existence of Gamer Gate is baffling.

If you wanna talk about ethics in games journalism talk about the dude that got fired over his Kane and Lynch 2 review, not a woman that slept with a dude who never actually reviewed her free game nor had any editorial influence.

If you wanna talk about feminism in video games, talk about that. Two separate topics.

The dude getting fired happening in 2007, and people did talk about it back then.

And my impression is that the topics ended up getting melded together when gaming journalists attempted to use the topic of feminism in video games as a shield for the ethical concerns, and everything has been a ginormous clusterfuck ever since.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

INH5 posted:

oh my god, gamergate meets might be the most pathetic thing i can think of

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

paranoid randroid posted:

oh my god, gamergate meets might be the most pathetic thing i can think of

Is it more pathetic than the people calling in bomb threats to cancel it?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
at least you dont have to spend gas money to tweet a bomb threat

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

bomb this thread, then gas it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

INH5 posted:

He did prominently feature it in two articles.

The dude getting fired happening in 2007, and people did talk about it back then.

And my impression is that the topics ended up getting melded together when gaming journalists attempted to use the topic of feminism in video games as a shield for the ethical concerns, and everything has been a ginormous clusterfuck ever since.

The first link seems like no big deal, mentioned along with 50 other games, and one of three games that got a whole sentence fragment devoted to it. The header image is from depression quest looks like. Easy enough to ping your friend who just got her game greenlit and ask for an image from it to use as a header.

The second article he interviewed multiple people. Again it seems like a non-issue.

• Locked thread