Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

okay first beer open

gentleamig@s of the chat thread you are welcome to retire to the steam group chat room at your leisure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

okay first beer open

gentleamig@s of the chat thread you are welcome to retire to the steam group chat room at your leisure

does anyone actually use the chat room

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

it's a great bitter screed by one of america's most prominent feminist activists about how the cultural relativism, introspective wankery and dismissal of truths in post-modernism shows that its a neo-liberal reactionary movement designed to maintain the patriarchal status quo by turning cultural analysis into ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ instead of empiricism and effective activism

:agreed:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Jagchosis posted:

does anyone actually use the chat room

im trying to make a thing here

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

V. Illych L. posted:

that's hosed up op

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jagchosis posted:

it's a great bitter screed by one of america's most prominent feminist activists about how the cultural relativism, introspective wankery and dismissal of truths in post-modernism shows that its a neo-liberal reactionary movement designed to maintain the patriarchal status quo by turning cultural analysis into ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ instead of empiricism and effective activism

so it's a second-waver getting angry about the third wave or what

i mean, i agree with what you just posted, but i don't see how this is pertinent to what you quoted initially

we're seeing a reaction towards postmodernism and some deeply unpleasant trends are prominent in it, was my point. so on one hand you have people like zizek, who's in a way the most prominent champion of intellectual, progressive, antipomo, and on the other hand you have the New Atheist movement which have basically resorted to old-school logical positivism to get away from it

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Berke Negri posted:

im trying to make a thing here

my current name is "benzo's dick:unsolved mystery" approve me

my friend's name is benzo and his dick cannot be explained by modern science

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Basically I'm saying that yeah my side is dumb, but people with homestuck headmates and demisexual otherkin are still better than child molesters and serial rapists, which the pro-gamergate side both has and defends

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
we're post-post-modern now aren't we anyway?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Replicant spotted. :mitt:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

starting to show up

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Exclamation Marx posted:

constructing a personal identity from the media you consume is postmod as gently caress

yes, but that's not the point of what the gamergaters are trying to do, they're trying to break a discourse in which critique of those identities is encouraged over the production of an alternate identity

i mean, they exist under postmodernism as well, so that identity is necessarily going to be formed under its conditions, but they do try to confront one of the central currents within it, which is the primacy of analysis over synthesis re: social phenomena

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

ThirdPartyView posted:

Replicant spotted. :mitt:

It would explain not appearing to physically age and my short life span

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Exclamation Marx posted:

we're post-post-modern now aren't we anyway?

it's emerging, but it's still unclear what form it'll take. my point is, gamergate is post-pomo, the other side are the pomo people

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Also Breitbart.com supports gamergate, so you kind of already know they're on the side of evil

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i mean, i support equality under the law, but Blue Moon? can we go back to banning sodomy?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what gamergate are doing isn't really defending the "gamer" identity, they're attacking the premise that identities ought to be the focus of any political or quasi-political action, and in so doing attempting to reassert their privileged position in a certain niche which is currently under attack from the angle that the products ought to reflect the varied identities and experiences of people playing them, rather than taking one (dominant in some sense) perspective as the default and going about its business with that

what i'm saying is, pomo is often bad but there are worse things and it's generally not wrong

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

why is there a gamergate thread in d&d

why does anyone care

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the opposite reading is also true :mrgw:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Luigi Thirty posted:

why is there a gamergate thread in d&d

why does anyone care

pro tip: you don't have to care

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Joementum posted:

im suspecting they are full of care

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

V. Illych L. posted:

so it's a second-waver getting angry about the third wave or what

i mean, i agree with what you just posted, but i don't see how this is pertinent to what you quoted initially

we're seeing a reaction towards postmodernism and some deeply unpleasant trends are prominent in it, was my point. so on one hand you have people like zizek, who's in a way the most prominent champion of intellectual, progressive, antipomo, and on the other hand you have the New Atheist movement which have basically resorted to old-school logical positivism to get away from it

i don't know what any of this means but does it have anything to do with those wacky articles about how postmodern social justice wankery is ruining colleges because you can't talk about anything that upsets people anymore

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Yo dadchat should I play Marvel Heroes, Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, or kick through some more Final Fantasy 13 tonight?

I cannot decide.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Luigi Thirty posted:

i don't know what any of this means but does it have anything to do with those wacky articles about how postmodern social justice wankery is ruining colleges because you can't talk about anything that upsets people anymore

yes this is also part of the backlash

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
can somebody tell me what the 'sexual assault' zoe quinn did was?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the problem with backlash is that it's inherently reactionary. we need to move past post-modernism, and that involves engaging with it somehow. we can't just pretend it never happened, though

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Exclamation Marx posted:

You should ask the GG thread :unsmigghh:

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Yo dadchat should I play Marvel Heroes, Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, or kick through some more Final Fantasy 13 tonight?

I cannot decide.
imo you shouldn't play any videogames

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Lol

So back when Gamergate was in full swing, this pro-GG dude makes a big deal about starting up his own, censorship-free totally games journalism ethical game review site
And the first thing he reviews is this flash-based hentai game where you can turn into a centaur and grow a bunch of penises and that kind of thing

The icing on the cake tho is that the creators of the hentai game later said in an update on their front page that they would like to make it clear that they did not support GamerGate

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

aren't you a philosophy person

i think you should weigh in on this i'm just a bloke talking out of his arse p. much

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

V. Illych L. posted:

aren't you a philosophy person

i think you should weigh in on this i'm just a bloke talking out of his arse p. much
it might surprise you but the vast majority of philosophers don't know a drat thing about postmodernism

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

i'm asking here for a reason :manning:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I wonder if Chuck Johnson has said anything lately about Gamergate. I'll just check his Twitter. Oh... right... :mmmsmug:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Exclamation Marx posted:

She got in a fight with her bf one time, and it came to mutual blows

Neither filed a police report

That's it

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Exclamation Marx posted:

i'm asking here for a reason :manning:

you inflicted this thread on us all, now reap what you sowed

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it might surprise you but the vast majority of philosophers don't know a drat thing about postmodernism

aren't you in ethics? i thought that was a major pomo thing

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jagchosis posted:

it's hard to argue with that, although i think pomo in relation to say, history and gender is useful as long as you don't take it to its logical conclusion (we can never know the past, why bother writing history idiots lol) which might just be me unwilling to commit to one position or the other empiricism completely but that's what i do

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

im sorry, im made of care, i cant stop caring

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mandatory lesbian posted:

i love ur new username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mandatory lesbian posted:

if you care so much, why don't you post in the gg thread more?

check

MATE

• Locked thread