Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Executive posted:

I think the real issue is that battery usage reporting in Lollipop and/or the s6 is hilariously bad.

I'll buy that. The move from KitKat->Lollipop on my note 4 has a lot of weird 2 steps forward 1 step back kinda changes, so I totally believe Samsung could hose battery usage reporting on a single device for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I'm a 1st Gen Moto X haver who just updated to 5.1 last week. I've been experiencing some hangs and pretty bad lagging, so today I backed up and factory reset the device. I'm at work and have no WiFi, and now my 4g T-Mobile data isn't working. I'm connected to the T-Mobile network, but just have no data connection. I thought it was maybe because I didn't do the google authentication because of no WiFi, so had my collegue set up a hotspot from his phone..but even after signing into Google's servers, it's still not working. Any advice?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm a 1st Gen Moto X haver who just updated to 5.1 last week. I've been experiencing some hangs and pretty bad lagging, so today I backed up and factory reset the device. I'm at work and have no WiFi, and now my 4g T-Mobile data isn't working. I'm connected to the T-Mobile network, but just have no data connection. I thought it was maybe because I didn't do the google authentication because of no WiFi, so had my collegue set up a hotspot from his phone..but even after signing into Google's servers, it's still not working. Any advice?

Check your APNs. Did you ever get 4G data on it?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Check your APNs. Did you ever get 4G data on it?

I checked the APN and everything was entered correctly. I had the 4G icon in the taskbar, so I'm assuming truth in advertising.

EDIT: I'm in a livechat w/ a Motorola customer support person named "Jose" whose first suggestion is to replace the phone.

EDIT 2: I tried manually entering the APN settings and it worked. For whatever reason, the pre-entered settings (even though correct) weren't working but when I re-added them they worked fine. Who knows!

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 26, 2015

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Any good suggestions for a 3x or 4x USB port wall charger that will reliably output at bare minimum 1.5A if not 2A over all ports to Android devices? I just bought a generic one that was an Amazon daily deal earlier this week, and 3 of the 4 ports are for Apple devices and only give my N5 USB spec power. Would use it with a a couple N5s, an N7 and occasionally a Pebble (negligible, needs like 0.1A to charge).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I got this guy about a year ago and love it. Only thing missing for me currently is quick charge.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTGETFG/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_5aFJvb5T1M277

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Anker make reliable chargers, any of theirs should work well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They make quality replacement laptop batteries too

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Man, what piece of crap this 5.1 update is for the moto X. Top frustration - the active display has the old 4.4 swipe-down lockscreen while the regular lock screen now swipes up. Usability!

Seriously, what was the point of this change? To fiddle some more with icons and kill some battery life?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Can't wait until my Turbo's on 5.1 and I can bitch about all the changes inclusively with all 'yall.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

IT BEGINS posted:

Man, what piece of crap this 5.1 update is for the moto X. Top frustration - the active display has the old 4.4 swipe-down lockscreen while the regular lock screen now swipes up. Usability!

That's how it works on 5.0 too?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

hooah posted:

That's how it works on 5.0 too?

Moto X went straight from 4.4 -> 5.1, skipping 5.0 entirely.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Moto X went straight from 4.4 -> 5.1, skipping 5.0 entirely.

Oh, I didn't notice the lack of year specifier.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is it possible to use the memory of a phone with a dead screen as the base for an Android emulator? I need to get a passcode out of an app on a phone with a screen that doesn't work at all.

edit: droid@screen works but I don't have adb access. Trying to figure out how to do that on a stock S3 with no working screen.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 27, 2015

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BlackMK4 posted:

Is it possible to use the memory of a phone with a dead screen as the base for an Android emulator? I need to get a passcode out of an app on a phone with a screen that doesn't work at all.

edit: droid@screen works but I don't have adb access. Trying to figure out how to do that on a stock S3 with no working screen.

I'd consider getting an mhl cable and hook it up to HDMI monitor if the digitizer is still working:
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%C2%AE-Adapter-integrated-Charging/dp/B00ESM3Q7K/

If the digitizer isn't working you might need a USB OTG cable to plug in a mouse also, although I don't know if the phone will do both mhl and usb otg at the same time, I'm sure there's information about it online.

This one apparently does MHL and OTG at the same time and seems compatible with the S3, but there may be others that are cheaper:
http://www.amazon.com/WEme-Multimedia-Charging-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00OJX6DY6/

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 27, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hrm, that last one seems to be the best option. I think I'll leave this as a lesson learned and enable developer mode, ADB mode, and auth my computer for future usage.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

So I just broke the screen on my Sony Z3 compact, and am looking at relatively low priced options for a phone replacement. Is the Asus Zen Phone 2 a good idea? I was thinking about picking up the lower end model for $200.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Optimus Subprime posted:

So I just broke the screen on my Sony Z3 compact, and am looking at relatively low priced options for a phone replacement. Is the Asus Zen Phone 2 a good idea? I was thinking about picking up the lower end model for $200.

Decent phone, great for $200. Performance is excellent, camera is acceptable. The battery life will be a big step down from the Z3C, but it'll last you all day when running single SIM. The ZF2 UI is a little heavy handed. I actually like 75% of it more than stock Android (although the M release fixes some of my issues with stock), but it may rub some the wrong way.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I guess its just a question if its worth spending easily more than double for one of the flagship phones, around $382 for replacement Z3C, or paying $200 for the Asus Zenfone 2. The battery life on the Z3C is very nice, but I don't know if it is worth dropping $182 more for it. I am currently leaning towards the zenfone.

Also is it worth dropping $100 more for the upgraded version?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Anyone using Google Play Music with noticing songs missing from their library when using the app? If I go to the Play Music site on my computer all of my music is there, but from the app tons of stuff doesn't show up. I've tried refreshing, clearing data, restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling.

N6 5.1.1

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

nerve posted:

Anyone using Google Play Music with noticing songs missing from their library when using the app? If I go to the Play Music site on my computer all of my music is there, but from the app tons of stuff doesn't show up. I've tried refreshing, clearing data, restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling.

N6 5.1.1

You don't have the 'Downloaded Only' switch on do you?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

baka kaba posted:

You don't have the 'Downloaded Only' switch on do you?

Nope :/

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Optimus Subprime posted:

I guess its just a question if its worth spending easily more than double for one of the flagship phones, around $382 for replacement Z3C, or paying $200 for the Asus Zenfone 2. The battery life on the Z3C is very nice, but I don't know if it is worth dropping $182 more for it. I am currently leaning towards the zenfone.

Any reason you don't just fix it, or get it fixed?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sony+Xperia+Z3+Compact+LCD+screen+Replacement/35488 doesn't look too bad really.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Optimus Subprime posted:

Can't you just replace the screen? Can't imagine it'd be more than $100. It's probably very easy to do.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

The time and money to fixing it may be worthwhile if I could guarantee that I could do the installation properly, but its not a sure shot, and that's around $100. Looking on the internet, it looks like Sony could fix it for around $200, but I could just buy a Zenfone 2 for that much money. I think I might take the leap and just buy the Zenfone 2.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My Moto 360 with the updated OS is pretty smooth.

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--
I don't see many people talking about Project Fi here, probably due to not having invites or not wanting the Nexus 6.

Good news though, I got Fi working on my Nexus 5. Bad news is that you probably still need a Nexus 6 to activate the SIM card first.

I made a thread with screenshots here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/general/project-fi-nexus-5-t3136193

Thought someone here might like to know in case they have a friend with a Nexus 6.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Optimus Subprime posted:

The time and money to fixing it may be worthwhile if I could guarantee that I could do the installation properly, but its not a sure shot, and that's around $100. Looking on the internet, it looks like Sony could fix it for around $200, but I could just buy a Zenfone 2 for that much money. I think I might take the leap and just buy the Zenfone 2.

Assuming paying Sony to fix it is like a 99% guarantee of getting a functioning phone back (unlike Asus, ha), a Z3c for the "same price" as the low end Zenfone 2 is a no brainer. The Z3c will be tons better.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Robpol86 posted:

I don't see many people talking about Project Fi here, probably due to not having invites or not wanting the Nexus 6.

Good news though, I got Fi working on my Nexus 5. Bad news is that you probably still need a Nexus 6 to activate the SIM card first.

I made a thread with screenshots here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/general/project-fi-nexus-5-t3136193

Thought someone here might like to know in case they have a friend with a Nexus 6.

I got an invite and was wishing there was a way to not have to buy a N6 Thanks, I will check this out.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Optimus Subprime posted:

Eh, only if having 64GB of onboard storage is important to you or if you were the kind of user where a modest processor bump and double the ram is important (gamer, I guess?).

Assuming you liked your Z3C I'd probably just pony up the $180 and get it fixed. It's a great phone, from what I've heard.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah I think I am going to send it in and see how much they quote me for a repair. The zenfone 2 does seem like an interesting proposition as a baby tablet/international phone with its dual sim capability at the $200 price point.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Since updating my 2013 Moto X to 5.1, twice it has locked up, and on restart has gone back into the "optimizing apps" screen. I don't know why it would ever do that, I've only been on that screen when installing an update.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FogHelmut posted:

Since updating my 2013 Moto X to 5.1, twice it has locked up, and on restart has gone back into the "optimizing apps" screen. I don't know why it would ever do that, I've only been on that screen when installing an update.

Sounds like maybe your cache partition is getting corrupted and it's rebuilding it? Might not be a bad idea to wipe the cache partition in recovery in case something is corrupted in there. I had an issue keeping my N7 from taking OTA updates until I wiped mine.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've got a non-objectively answerable question and I'm hoping a few of you will chime in. S5 v S6.

I upgraded from an S4 to and S6 two months ago and so far I've had mixed feelings about it. I'm running Nova Launcher on it, and it's undeniably snappy. The camera is excellent. Even though the battery is non-replaceable and a step down from the S5, I don't do anything particularly power-intensive, so it doesn't bother me. All in all, when the phone is awake and I'm pushing buttons, I'm happy with it. However, the little things drive me nuts. This is the first phone I've owned in 12 years that I've had to put a case on because the back just defies the laws of thermodynamics by being a frictionless surface. I currently have a caseology () case to alleviate this, but even though it's "think," it's far too thick for my tastes. I also got the 32gb version because I didn't want to spend an extra $100 on doubling the size, and I find myself about 10 gigs shy of where I'd really like to be. So, quick recap: phone is so slippery I have to use a case, which I hate doing, and the lack of storage irritates me to no end.

My girlfriend is due for a new phone, and I have the opportunity of having her buy an S5 (or anything, really), switching to that, and giving her my S6. What I like about the S5 is that I can put the SD card from my S4 in, and I won't have to use a case, because you can actually grip the drat thing. Obviously it would be a step backwards on screen quality and snappiness though. I also don't know what software changes I'd facing, if any.

The question to all of you then, is what should I do? If I could find a satisfactory way to ditch the case on my S6 I'd probably stick with that. I've even considered putting grip tape on the back of the device, similar to what they put on skateboards. (I'm open to all suggestions to solving my case problem.) If I do switch to the S5, will I notice a huge difference? Is it noticeably slower? Will I just hate the experience?

halp

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The Wonder Weapon posted:

The question to all of you then, is what should I do? If I could find a satisfactory way to ditch the case on my S6 I'd probably stick with that. I've even considered putting grip tape on the back of the device, similar to what they put on skateboards. (I'm open to all suggestions to solving my case problem.) If I do switch to the S5, will I notice a huge difference? Is it noticeably slower? Will I just hate the experience?

halp

Flagship phones from the last couple years are plenty fast. You probably won't notice much difference.

Also grip tape is the comedy option of this thread so obviously you must try it on your S6.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

I've even considered putting grip tape on the back of the device, similar to what they put on skateboards. (I'm open to all suggestions to solving my case problem.)

`.`

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Some case manufacturer is going to read this thread and think that cases with grip tape will actually sell.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

I've got a non-objectively answerable question and I'm hoping a few of you will chime in. S5 v S6.

I upgraded from an S4 to and S6 two months ago and so far I've had mixed feelings about it. I'm running Nova Launcher on it, and it's undeniably snappy. The camera is excellent. Even though the battery is non-replaceable and a step down from the S5, I don't do anything particularly power-intensive, so it doesn't bother me. All in all, when the phone is awake and I'm pushing buttons, I'm happy with it. However, the little things drive me nuts. This is the first phone I've owned in 12 years that I've had to put a case on because the back just defies the laws of thermodynamics by being a frictionless surface. I currently have a caseology () case to alleviate this, but even though it's "think," it's far too thick for my tastes. I also got the 32gb version because I didn't want to spend an extra $100 on doubling the size, and I find myself about 10 gigs shy of where I'd really like to be. So, quick recap: phone is so slippery I have to use a case, which I hate doing, and the lack of storage irritates me to no end.

My girlfriend is due for a new phone, and I have the opportunity of having her buy an S5 (or anything, really), switching to that, and giving her my S6. What I like about the S5 is that I can put the SD card from my S4 in, and I won't have to use a case, because you can actually grip the drat thing. Obviously it would be a step backwards on screen quality and snappiness though. I also don't know what software changes I'd facing, if any.

halp

Do they make leather cases for the S6 yet? Because the one on my 6+ (Official apple one) is exactly the fix for the exact same problem I have with my not android currently.

I struggled with this same issue with most of my android phones, Flip covers were my go to most of the time. Give those a shot maybe?

Trying to get you to keep it because I personally love the form factor of the new S6.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

I've even considered putting grip tape on the back of the device, similar to what they put on skateboards.

Oh hi there! My keyword pager went off!

glugs gasoline on the fire :newlol:

I went the griptape route a few years back. Posted my results here, got mercilessly mocked for it...even to this day. Hey, gently caress everyone, I still think it was a fantastic idea, but I digress.

I put small clear strips on the sides of my then slippery as gently caress M8. Worked like a charm. Now I am a Diztronic whore, but griptape is certainly a good option. I wouldn't put a huge slab of it on the back though. Your entire pocket will come out with the phone and it will piss you off. Just use tiny strips.

Please, once you do, post your results here with a gigantic TIMG'd image.

I need a doppelgänger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

hotsauce posted:

Oh hi there! My keyword pager went off!

glugs gasoline on the fire :newlol:

I went the griptape route a few years back. Posted my results here, got mercilessly mocked for it...even to this day. Hey, gently caress everyone, I still think it was a fantastic idea, but I digress.

I put small clear strips on the sides of my then slippery as gently caress M8. Worked like a charm. Now I am a Diztronic whore, but griptape is certainly a good option. I wouldn't put a huge slab of it on the back though. Your entire pocket will come out with the phone and it will piss you off. Just use tiny strips.

Please, once you do, post your results here with a gigantic TIMG'd image.

I need a doppelgänger.

Now that I finally see the grip tape that is mentioned along side cardboard faux-phones, it's really not all that big of a deal, imo.