Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I have a question about part 4. It's very good and all, but I noticed that Tamami and Hazamada have shrunk for some reason. I know they were normal person sized before when they were a threat, but now they are barely taller than Koichi. Why is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's never really explained or mentioned. You get used to it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I have a question about part 4. It's very good and all, but I noticed that Tamami and Hazamada have shrunk for some reason. I know they were normal person sized before when they were a threat, but now they are barely taller than Koichi. Why is that?

A popular explanation is that it's a visual metaphor for how intimidating they were to Koichi, but after they were beaten, he no longer saw them as a threat, so they were brought down to his level, literally.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Best explanation I've seen is that they were so humbled by losing, they shrunk three feet. It's just a weird, goofy visual

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I guess that makes sense. Wait, no, that doesn't make any sense at all for that to happen, but I get the idea/style behind it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Being defeated by Koichi causes you to shrink.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
The shrinking enemies is one of the best parts of part 4 tbh

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

A popular explanation is that it's a visual metaphor for how intimidating they were to Koichi, but after they were beaten, he no longer saw them as a threat, so they were brought down to his level, literally.

It's this. They're not literally shrinking.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

It's this. They're not literally shrinking.

Are you sure about that? Because it REALLY looks like they have actually shrunk. Not that anyone acknowledge the shrinking, but they do acknowledge their size.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

littleorv posted:

It was... Good.

Late to the party, but I think you meant "It was... GREAT"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It's just an artstyle shift. Seriously, look at Hazamada's actual chapters, he's continuously shrinking throughout them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hell, even Koichi is supposed to be taller than he's drawn. Like at least 5 foot.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
No, you seem to be confusing him with Guanglai Kangyi. Koichi is barely 4 feet.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
>tfw you will never be Koichi and cuddle with a woman twice your size

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Koichi is cool and everybody should read Cool Shock BT for more Koichi

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

>tfw you will never be Koichi and cuddle with a woman twice your size

A woman will never make you piss your pants.

Well, wait, we are talking about goons.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Koichi is cool and everybody should read Cool Shock BT for more Koichi

Also, the Cell Games.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
They'd better keep the shrinking people thing in the Part 4 anime or I'll be mad.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

They've been super faithful to the manga even when they could've retconned poo poo to iron out some plotholes, plus they kept Iggy turning less ugly over time. What makes you think they'd suddenly not stick as close as possible to the source material?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

there was a yt vid of the battle tendency op being hosed with by bites the dust i think it was about this time a year ago, i cant find it does anyone have the link to it

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

minoru suzuki posted:

there was a yt vid of the battle tendency op being hosed with by bites the dust i think it was about this time a year ago, i cant find it does anyone have the link to it

Here you go, mate.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only downpoint about that video is that the dude who made it didn't get his hands on the creditless version from the blu-ray.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k_SuZtZXxk
:allears: so pretty

vvvv Yeah, it's totally awesome.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 26, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I've started reading Diamond is Unbreakable, and you guys are absolutely right. There's a TON of worldbuilding going on. The difference in the way the setting is handled is like night and day. I'm gonna have to make a post comparing Jojo's Bizarre Adventure with itself.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

arc 4 is when he fully settles into what the series is all about, and from there it's just building on that. stardust crusaders still has issues in regards to araki figuring out what he's doing but when it finally clicks it's great.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

They've been super faithful to the manga even when they could've retconned poo poo to iron out some plotholes, plus they kept Iggy turning less ugly over time. What makes you think they'd suddenly not stick as close as possible to the source material?
They'll probably keep it.

The intent behind that post was less "Oh man, oh geez, what if it gets axed" and more "They have every reason to do it, so they'd better do it."

Xibanya posted:

I've started reading Diamond is Unbreakable, and you guys are absolutely right. There's a TON of worldbuilding going on. The difference in the way the setting is handled is like night and day. I'm gonna have to make a post comparing Jojo's Bizarre Adventure with itself.
One of my favorite things about Jojo is the way it develops and changes over the years. It's one of the reasons I prefer the manga to the anime, as well as how some of Part 3's rougher, "Rawer" fights managed to endear themselves to me. It's like having access to someone's ever-changing sketchbook and watching them experiment. When Araki introduces some bad guy with a particular design only to simplify it in the very next chapter, I always chuckle. Over-extended yourself, eh? I thought it was cool how stands started out as a kind of visual embodiment for otherwise invisible psychic powers, only for Araki to change his mind and make them a bunch of horror film pastiches, only for Araki to change his mind again and make them more akin to zany superpowers with exacting drawbacks. It's uneven at times and not always entirely coherent, but it fascinates me to watch his ideas evolve even as his execution doesn't always keep pace.

"Allegedly," Jojo was supposed to conclude with Part 3, but the series' boost in popularity and Araki's attachment to his own idea (stands) kept it going. People talk about Parts 1 and 2 being the outliers, but I feel like Part 3 is more similar to them than it is to the stuff that comes after. Part 4 changes stuff up considerably, after which Part 5 kicks in and switches things around again, and so on and so forth. By the time he was asked to deliver that lecture we linked you, his approach to Jojo had changed significantly. And it will change again.

Part 7 is probably my (and a ton of other people's) favorite part. You can really see, reading it, how Araki's changed and matured over the years, distilling the best parts of his previous efforts into one harmonious whole, or almost. Then you turn the page and a character who was short and fat before is now tall and built because thirty years later Araki's still capable of changing his mind.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The first 3 volumes of Stardust Crusaders came in my mail today. Feels... good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Enjoy that third volume cliffhanger.

Or don't, I guess, since you watched the show.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

With hindsight, I think the start of Egypt is one of the more significant and most valuable changes that Araki ever underwent because it's really obvious that he started to figure out stands and how they should complement their user rather than being more interesting than them by default. If he never figured that out, things like Alessi, Mariah, D'Arbys, Ice and Pet Shop would never have happened even in that part, never mind how he moved on with the manga as a whole. The thing that astounds me is that it's really rather quick with how he develops this style though and also kind of significant that some of the stronger early fights in SC are closer in formula to them, such as Lovers.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 26, 2015

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bad Seafood posted:

One of my favorite things about Jojo is the way it develops and changes over the years. It's one of the reasons I prefer the manga to the anime, as well as how some of Part 3's rougher, "Rawer" fights managed to endear themselves to me. It's like having access to someone's ever-changing sketchbook and watching them experiment. When Araki introduces some bad guy with a particular design only to simplify it in the very next chapter, I always chuckle. Over-extended yourself, eh? I thought it was cool how stands started out as a kind of visual embodiment for otherwise invisible psychic powers, only for Araki to change his mind and make them a bunch of horror film pastiches, only for Araki to change his mind again and make them more akin to zany superpowers with exacting drawbacks. It's uneven at times and not always entirely coherent, but it fascinates me to watch his ideas evolve even as his execution doesn't always keep pace.

I think that's why it appeals to me too. It's a lot like looking at a cross-section of rock strata and being able to point out the different changes the earth went through, if that makes sense. It's really inspiring to me from a creative stand point and the fact that he was drawing and writing about what appealed to him at the time and that it continues to resonate with so many people, especially the concept of stands, makes me feel really....I don't know, nice?

I'd really love a full translation of that writing comics book he wrote. I like looking at different people's writing process.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

Yeah, it's pretty darn neat isn't it? Araki more or less keeps reinventing the series as he goes along and it does a wonderful job of keeping JoJo from turning stale.

Bad Seafood posted:

Part 7 is probably my (and a ton of other people's) favorite part. You can really see, reading it, how Araki's changed and matured over the years, distilling the best parts of his previous efforts into one harmonious whole, or almost. Then you turn the page and a character who was short and fat before is now tall and built because thirty years later Araki's still capable of changing his mind.

Hey now, that's legit. Finding Jesus totally can change a man.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Valentine was overweight and a habitual drinker.

Then he accepted Jesus into his heart.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Koichi's grandfather was that guy who took Cotton Hill's shins. He keeps up the family tradition.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

BaDandy posted:

I think that's why it appeals to me too. It's a lot like looking at a cross-section of rock strata and being able to point out the different changes the earth went through, if that makes sense. It's really inspiring to me from a creative stand point and the fact that he was drawing and writing about what appealed to him at the time and that it continues to resonate with so many people, especially the concept of stands, makes me feel really....I don't know, nice?
It makes perfect sense. I get you. Your feeling I can feel deeply.

Like most mangaka, Araki includes a little author's note at the beginning of each of his volumes. Here's the author's note from volume 11 (23):

Hirohiko Araki posted:

Lately cigarette smoke bothers me. I always notice when someone is smoking near me. With that in mind, I decided that Hol Horse will quit smoking. But then I thought that it would be weird to suddenly change a character's habits. Hmm...but on the other hand, Hol Horse changes his mind all the time anyway. I figured "What the heck," so now he's using a smoke-free pipe.
Of all Araki's author's notes, this is probably my favorite one. I bet you can guess why.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hol Horse is the world's nicest man to women and mangaka.

Also, I'm rewatching JJBA with a friend.

Why wasn't this guy named Gene Simmons? :(

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 27, 2015

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
man part 6 is really making want to watch some orange is the new black

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ora is the New Black.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
its weird how stone free seems almost exactly like hierophant green with bits of star platinum (for obvious reasons)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I guess he really did lay that egg.

E: Green Eggs and Stand

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 27, 2015

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
only thing now is what 2011 song would be a good ending for the anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I don't think they're going to adhere to that "Rule" as strictly as everyone seems to assume they are.