Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Tin Tin owns, you should read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Tin Tin already has planes and a bonus inflight refueling scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0CCWk8mRow

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Booblord Zagats posted:

My brother always said the nicest/most "has his poo poo together" guys from flight school seemed to become Prowler guys

My brother would agree with your brother (except for the flight school part), since he's a Master Sgt. in the Marine Corps in charge of taking care of Prowlers.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I have a pet theory that the guy at Grummer who designed the Intruder/Prowler had a catapult guy gently caress his wife or something because when I stood up close to an Intruder at the Naval Aviation Museum the front gear/intake proximity had me all NOPE. (Yeah yeah we've all seen THAT video a hundred times)

Really cool aircraft, though, shame about the retirement.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Wow, someone actually managed to make a 747 ugly :eek:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

Cann birds are a fact of life in most USAF mx units.

But yeah, they're totally going to strip everything off of that bird and then some, spare parts is actually the biggest reason AMARG exists in the first place.

Most AF mx units have more than ~15 birds on the ramp.

Booblord Zagats posted:

My brother always said the nicest/most "has his poo poo together" guys from flight school seemed to become Prowler guys

I've had mixed results. The Prowler was the only aircraft I "lost" while controlling at WTI, because they weren't paying attention to the radio in between strike waves (there was about a 15-20 minute break in the middle, they stayed out in "bad guy land" instead of coming back with everyone) and missed three or four threat calls. They finally turned away when the adversary's missile was halfway through it's time of "flight."

Then there were the Prowler guys who were just busting airspace or altitude blocks or something all over Afghanistan because they had apparently never even read the ACP. I actually talked to that guy on the phone and gave him a list of poo poo to read so they wouldn't kill anybody.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 27, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Air Force question: when an airframe goes away for a heavy check (and I realize that the scope and downtime can vary wildly between airframe types,) does the owning unit get another airframe subbed in until theirs comes back, or do they just have enough airframes assigned to them to (theoretically) maintain the notional squadron/wing strength, despite birds being in the depot having their insides taken out?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This MD-11F is taxiing for takeoff at ORD right now. Looks great in Lufthansa livery.

thought it was a DC-10

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 27, 2015

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

This DC-10 is taxiing for takeoff at ORD right now. Looks great in Lufthansa livery.

Are you sure that's not a MD-11 ? it has winglets...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SybilVimes posted:

Are you sure that's not a MD-11 ? it has winglets...

You're right, MD-11F.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
This job looks like it would be fun:
https://www.facebook.com/RealAirPower/videos/549616928509512/

WARNING: Not safe for Holly Bloopers :(

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Those comments are extra retarded.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Jesus man why don't you just step out back and shoot my dog while you're at it. :(

That's loving brutal.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

Jesus man why don't you just step out back and shoot my dog while you're at it. :(

That's loving brutal.

But we can't risk Iran getting hold of them, they might break in a US military base in the night and steal one :byodood:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Lord help me if they made this same video pulling the wings off of a poor, helpless A-10. :(

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'll bet there's a thousand former Tomcat wrenchbenders who would pay a fortune to do that for an hour.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

Lord help me if they made this same video pulling the wings off of a poor, helpless A-10. :(

Should be plenty of pictures/video of A-10s getting their wings ripped off - they replaced several hundred wing sets after all.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

MrYenko posted:

Air Force question: when an airframe goes away for a heavy check (and I realize that the scope and downtime can vary wildly between airframe types,) does the owning unit get another airframe subbed in until theirs comes back, or do they just have enough airframes assigned to them to (theoretically) maintain the notional squadron/wing strength, despite birds being in the depot having their insides taken out?

Nope, unless for some retarded reason we are really low on aircraft (I'M LOOKING AT YOU PS&D), and we can beg one off of another unit.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Tomcat best cat

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I think I just set a record for closing a window. Nope nope nope nope NOPE. You're a bad man for linking that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
holy poo poo those comments are real stupid

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Most AF mx units have more than ~15 birds on the ramp.

Valid point, but my retort would be "lol AWACS"

MrYenko posted:

So I could sperg out here about PAI/PAA vs BAI/BAA but Dannywilson basically covered it. In theory you should have enough between your PAA and BAA to cover the difference while the one bird is gone to depot but the reality is usually different for reasons. Either way you aren't getting backfilled because everyone else is just as bad as you are airframe wise if not worse.

MrChips posted:

I'll bet there's a thousand former Tomcat wrenchbenders who would pay a fortune to do that for an hour.

lol yup. I'd pay money to get a chance to rip a Reaper apart...not because the plane itself is a POS, just for the cathartic release I'd get from being able to envision everyone from the SPO and GA (mostly the SPO) inside the plane as I did the deed.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Counterpoint: Moo

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Duke Chin posted:

A-10 outrage?

Look what I just found by coincidence:
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/2l6Xm

LOUD NOISES OMG A-10 BEST PLANE EVAAAAR

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SybilVimes posted:

But we can't risk Iran getting hold of them, they might break in a US military base in the night and steal one :byodood:

Yet Iran is somehow supposedly still finding 'ways' to find parts every so often.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

vessbot posted:

It can be spun around only on the ground, there's no room for a person's legs while it's in transition. And when it's backwards, the rear stick has to be removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFXOpLReNgg - about 7 minutes in seems to indicate that it can be moved around in the air.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Colonel K posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFXOpLReNgg - about 7 minutes in seems to indicate that it can be moved around in the air.

Notice he stood up while turning it.

I shouldn't say that it absolutely can't be done with a good dose of ambition, time, and contortionism... But it definitely wasn't part of a normal routine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Valid point, but my retort would be "lol AWACS"

One thing I've heard a few times is that resorting to cannibalization requires like gp-level approval? True/false? Location/organization dependent?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

One thing I've heard a few times is that resorting to cannibalization requires like gp-level approval? True/false? Location/organization dependent?

Depends on the org and the level of cann. Broadly speaking 21-101 (mx AFI/bible) only states that the MXG/CC will approve who will have the authority to be a cann official. It has to be at least a SNCO so it's usually your Pro Super types...but that's ultimately up to the MXG/CC, so if he wants to be tighter with it that is his prerogative (although that would be dumb). Additionally, while a Pro Super would normally be fine to cann a part here or there as required depending on the responsiveness of the supply system, a major/high risk cann and/or multiple cann's that are going to generate a cann bird would typically be elevated to at least the SQ supervision level and would probably get briefed to the MXG/CC at the morning production meeting because if you're creating a cann bird you're basically acknowledging that you will almost certainly go into Cat I and maybe Cat II hangar queen status on that tail, which is something the Group is going to care about.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

Depends on the org and the level of cann. Broadly speaking 21-101 (mx AFI/bible) only states that the MXG/CC will approve who will have the authority to be a cann official. It has to be at least a SNCO so it's usually your Pro Super types...but that's ultimately up to the MXG/CC, so if he wants to be tighter with it that is his prerogative (although that would be dumb). Additionally, while a Pro Super would normally be fine to cann a part here or there as required depending on the responsiveness of the supply system, a major/high risk cann and/or multiple cann's that are going to generate a cann bird would typically be elevated to at least the SQ supervision level and would probably get briefed to the MXG/CC at the morning production meeting because if you're creating a cann bird you're basically acknowledging that you will almost certainly go into Cat I and maybe Cat II hangar queen status on that tail, which is something the Group is going to care about.

They stripped so much crap off my baby when she was Hanger Queen :cripes:

The forms were a nightmare.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Good explanation, thanks. I guess it always seemed like a huge deal at Tinker just because there were so few airframes. 27 or whatever to begin with, then take away the ones taking care of the multiple simultaneous deployments, plus the depot/upgrade rotation, plus the alert aircraft, plus any TDYs, plus whatever else. They all get allocated FAST, and taking one off the list just to pull parts becomes a Problem.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Good explanation, thanks. I guess it always seemed like a huge deal at Tinker just because there were so few airframes. 27 or whatever to begin with, then take away the ones taking care of the multiple simultaneous deployments, plus the depot/upgrade rotation, plus the alert aircraft, plus any TDYs, plus whatever else. They all get allocated FAST, and taking one off the list just to pull parts becomes a Problem.

Yeah at Tinker I could see the MXG wanting to have a tight control over that because you really are tight on tails pretty much all the time.

And N4I that's what happens when you're crewing the -D model (you were on a -D for a while, right? I vaguely remember you saying that for some reason.)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

On the apron:

These magnificent fat bastards are probably the most common visitor here aside from small domestic traffic. They are cool things to see on approach or takeoff.

Feast your eyes on the glory that is GANDER AIRPORT (servicing one tiny airliner the size of a bus.)

The F-15s are still here. My theory now is that they are interceptors for Bears if they try to goose the defenses on the eastern seaboard.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

On the apron:

These magnificent fat bastards are probably the most common visitor here aside from small domestic traffic. They are cool things to see on approach or takeoff.

I've been seeing those pretty often down here at Soto Cano AB (Honduras) and, being an Army puke and not knowing any better, they always just look to me like congenitally defective offspring of the C-5. Tail's too big, body's too short and fat, but MAN they're pretty loud like C-5s.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

thetechnoloser posted:

they always just look to me like congenitally defective offspring of the C-5. Tail's too big, body's too short and fat

So Boeing's an rear end man :shrug:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

The F-15s are still here. My theory now is that they are interceptors for Bears if they try to goose the defenses on the eastern seaboard.

Makes sense. Those are Lakenheath, UK jets. If it were up to me, I'd make that a standard rotation, so the jets out of England can hand off the Bears to the Gander detachment, who can hand off to something from New England.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Makes sense. Those are Lakenheath, UK jets. If it were up to me, I'd make that a standard rotation, so the jets out of England can hand off the Bears to the Gander detachment, who can hand off to something from New England.

Does raise the question of why AF jets are sitting alert in Gander as opposed to, I dunno, some RCAF Hornets? Iceland I can understand since they don't have an AF (NATO rotates fighters through there for the same reason NATO has an air policing det in the Baltics), but Canada?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Outside of lol canada, if its something like a norad mission wouldn't it be sensible to do some burden sharing seeing as how its the country situated between most of the US and Russia?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Does raise the question of why AF jets are sitting alert in Gander as opposed to, I dunno, some RCAF Hornets? Iceland I can understand since they don't have an AF (NATO rotates fighters through there for the same reason NATO has an air policing det in the Baltics), but Canada?

Pretty sure Canada's Hornets are in Iraq?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jonny Nox posted:

Pretty sure Canada's Hornets are in Iraq?

Six of them are bombing poo poo there, but that still leaves something like 73 in operational use according to wikipedia. Maybe six at a operational tempo uses up all the CF-18 flying' money?

e: for clarity

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 28, 2015