Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Tim Whatley posted:

So my agent is basically telling me the "You'll be fine" approach and not adding another person to my reservations, rather telling me to just show up with 5 vs 4. Cool. Also booked me for a BOG breakfast just because for some reason?

Here's the restaurants. Let me know if I should call and just do it myself:

Ohana, Beaches and Cream, Tusker House Dinner. She changed the rest.

If it were me, I'd call. I think you'll end up getting boned if you walk up with more people than the reservation is for. As a travel agent, I would never advise my client to do that. Now, if you call and the reservation can't be adjusted, well, not much you can do. If you were going from 3 to 4 people, I wouldn't worry about it, but from 4 to 5...that's different. You can't fit at a 4 top now.

I bet you 1 million Disney bucks she couldn't get those three adjusted and that's why she's telling you not to worry about them.

And I'd cancel that BOG breakfast. No thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I recently called trying to change Ohana from 2 to 5. The disney dining rep said she could do 2 to 4, but if I wanted 5 I was going to have to change the time to much later, from 830 to 945.

Sooooo yyeeaahhhhh

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Adding people on is always kind of a pain, but you do what you have to do for your client. She 100% should have said "Look, we can add this person on, but I make no guarantees about these ADRs. I'll do what I can." She definitely shouldn't have let them sit there for weeks while availability slipped away. Your other option is to see if you can split the reservation into 2 people and 3 people and then ask to be seated near each other. It's easier for restaurants to seat 2 four tops than it is 1 party of 5. Otherwise, you'll just have to chance it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I agree with what Braksgirl says about the reservations. There are limited tables that can seat more than a party of 4 at some places and they don't mash tables together like your local Chili's or Olive Garden. Telling you to essentially wing it and put the restaurant under the gun for it is irresponsible of the TA. Also BOG breakfast is avoidable, many of our friends tried it and said it was not worth it.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Everything I've read about BOG breakfast says that you're essentially paying 20 bucks a head to ride Mine Train or meet Anna and Elsa with no wait, assuming you have an 8am reservation with a 9am opening. If that's important to you then you than it might be worth it.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I've basically never had any trouble adding an extra person to a reservation there. Ohana I'll usually book four and if five show up its never been a problem.

Speaking of which, my best friend tells me on Friday "oh by the way I just booked Ohana on Sunday at 1715 so see you there." She knows me so well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So my wife got to make cookies for Tom Staggs this week (Disney COO), pretty fuckin cool.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

BlueBayou posted:

Yeah Forbidden Journey is aces

The only ride that has impressed me as much on my initial riding was when Indy opened at Disneyland allll those years ago. Cause Indy is aces too.

This is EXACTLY how I've described it to my friends. I went on Indy the first week it opened, and haven't been that impressed by anything in a theme park since, until we went to WWoHP.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Have those air cushion things been added? I enjoyed FJ but multiple rides would make me queasy. Technology wise it's amazing but I really dislike the way your vision is restricted. I know why it's done but it makes the experience less fun for me than being on Spiderman or Indy with friends/family.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Appreciate the advice. It's super strange of an experience. I'll change them and see what happens. The weirdest part is like I have a BOG lunch that day, so just randomly throw on breakfast too? Don't get it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
With the plethora of dining available at the resort it would not do you justice to stick to the same restaurant... twice, in the same day.. back to loving back even. Christ that is so damned lazy. I appreciate it if my TA would do something more for me than that. Just saying.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

That is extremely lazy. That's the kind of crap that gives the rest of us a bad reputation.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah like I've been so many times I don't even really need a TA but this is like, what the hell? I didn't even ask for it and don't eat breakfast at restaurants when I go.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I forgot and can't scroll back because I am on mobile but did you initially ask for a party of five and the TA boned it or are you going back after she booked things and want to add another? If you originally asked for 5 then I would insist she fix it and not expect you to wing it when you get there. Also call into Disney Dining to check if she says she fixed it because :reasons:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

demonR6 posted:

I forgot and can't scroll back because I am on mobile but did you initially ask for a party of five and the TA boned it or are you going back after she booked things and want to add another? If you originally asked for 5 then I would insist she fix it and not expect you to wing it when you get there. Also call into Disney Dining to check if she says she fixed it because :reasons:

Yeah I asked her to change some (more than what I listed) and she changed those and then told me the ones she hasn't changed to just show up. We had four going, which turned to five, hence the need to add one. But I feel five is a harder number to walk in with vs four. This is the same person that didn't contact me for multiple weeks and blamed it on copper bandits. In 2015.

Yup.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 28, 2015

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Just posting to say that I'd live at the Vero Beach resort if I could. Although the Shutters restaurant here is mediocre as can be.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tim Whatley posted:

But I feel five is a harder number to walk in with vs four. This is the same person that didn't contact me for multiple weeks and blamed it on copper bandits. In 2015.

I have never dined at Disney restaurant where they slam 4 tops for large parties. The fast food places like Pecos or Pinocchios at MK where the guests do it is a different story. When will you be coming down again?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

demonR6 posted:

I have never dined at Disney restaurant where they slam 4 tops for large parties. The fast food places like Pecos or Pinocchios at MK where the guests do it is a different story. When will you be coming down again?

9/17-9/25

Update: I called the hotline myself and surprise, no wiggle room on the reservations because my agent didn't get back to me for like three weeks. I did say I'll probably just show up and even then they said it should be fine. I've done it before myself but it's just more for peace of mind. Lame.

Lol also I just cancelled my BOG breakfast that my agent randomly threw on. (It was for 9am and I have lunch there at 1:30pm...) It had a credit card guarantee. So my agent booked something using my saved card that I wouldn't have showed up for, and if I wasn't smart and didn't cancel it myself, I would've been charged because she feels like just adding poo poo to my trip. Cool!

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 28, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, sadly you are rolling the dice and hoping the situation is favorable. I'll sacrifice one of the neighborhood kids to baal.

Buggalo
Mar 31, 2010
I'm in the midst of planning my husband and I's first trip to Disney World since we were in our early teens. This thread has been invaluable not only in hyping us up but also in directing our planning efforts, so thanks to all of you! We'll be staying in the Port Orleans French Quarter September 13th-18th and spending four days in the parks with a one day trip to Harry Potter World/the rest of Universal.

I had a few questions for everyone: I am planning to go to Monsieur Paul for our fancy dinner since BOG was completely ramjammed, is it decent for the price and can you see Illuminations well from the restaurant? I'd love to have a good view of the festivities while eating fancy poo poo. We are also planning on doing Divequest at 4:30 - if you've done it, what time do you get out of the facility? The guide said 3 hours so I had planned on doing a sitdown dinner in World Showcase at 7:45 but I don't want to cut it too close. I can always choose a different time. Lastly, where are the mystical Dole Whips available, everywhere or just in one park?

So loving psyched.

Buggalo fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 29, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
MP was good but to be honest even the normal restaurant is good too.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Buggalo posted:

Lastly, where are the mystical Dole Whips available, everywhere or just in one park?
Regular Dole Whips are in Adventure Land, Magic Kingdom at Aloha Isle. There are rum Dole Whips in Animal Kingdom at Tamu Tamu!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Buddy of mine said the view is good from MP but only if you get a window seat. If you've never seen the show though, I'd highly suggest finding a good vantage point around World Showcase for it instead.

Best spot to view it is at the entrance of World Showcase from Future World. I also enjoy Outpost and Italy.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Buggalo posted:

We are also planning on doing Divequest at 4:30 - if you've done it, what time do you get out of the facility? The guide said 3 hours so I had planned on doing a sitdown dinner in World Showcase at 7:45 but I don't want to cut it too close. I can always choose a different time.

Im planning to do DiveQuest when I go in December. Pleaseeee give a trip report when you get back with an idea of the timing. I'm hoping to knock out a lot of Futureworld when I am done diving and hopefully there will be enough time

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

New Hollywood Studios casualty:

Entire Magic of Animation area closes July 12. I loving love the Animation Academy. Super super bummed.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Disney Quest is closing too.

I'm bummed about the Magic of Animation area. It was really cool. Silly Burrito is bummed about DQ.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I think they are seeing how much they can strip away from DHS and still get away with charging $100 a day

Though I heard it snows at the end of the fireworks show. So that's p cool

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Closing Disneyquest is dumb as balls, especially to replace it with something a small percentage of visitors are going to go to. This just means that the hotel arcades are going to be nightmarish on rainy days way more than they already are.

E: I'm not saying the NBA isn't popular. Lots of people like basketball. But NBA city is RIGHT OVER THERE *points at Universal*

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 30, 2015

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: I'm not saying the NBA isn't popular. Lots of people like basketball. But NBA city is RIGHT OVER THERE *points at Universal*

This is spot on. Because is there some massive need to be in the "interactive immersion NBA experience" theme restaurant market? I get that NBA has massive international appeal, but seriously, this restaurant already exists less then 20 minutes drive across town.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Actually the universal one is closing so it'll be the only one in town. It'll be closing later this year, well before the Disney Springs one opens.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cais posted:

Actually the universal one is closing so it'll be the only one in town. It'll be closing later this year, well before the Disney Springs one opens.

If it's closing that should be a real good reason not to put up another one in ~Disney Springs~ since Universal doesn't get rid of poo poo unless it is bottom of the barrel bad.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

ABC and ESPN basically wholly own NBA broadcasting rights and are trying to dig younger and younger into showing tournaments so expect this move to be for synergy that results in televised high school aged kids tournaments within a year of opening

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The LeBron James Experience.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm sad to hear about DisneyQuest, but even when I visited ten years ago it felt run-down and outdated. I guess Disney just never quite knew what to do with it.

Also, ugh, more sports stuff. Disney has some of the richest and most popular IP on the planet, and they're building an attraction centered on... basketball.

Well, I guess I can skip Downtown Disney Springs in September. The only other thing I'm remotely interested in out there is Morimoto Asia, and there's still no official opening date other than "summer". If they're not taking ADR's by now, I'm guessing it won't be open when I arrive.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I heard a rumor that there might be a WWE themed restaurant where the NBA Experience was on CityWalk.

That would be some poo poo tbh

KabukiJoe
Nov 19, 2002

Skeezy posted:

I heard a rumor that there might be a WWE themed restaurant where the NBA Experience was on CityWalk.

Wrestlemania sold out the new 49er's stadium this year and is holding it next year in Dallas at Jerryworld. They hold 3-5 sell out events every single week across the country. Tickets are not cheap to these events. Cash cow.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Disney quest has seen better days. I remember going a decade ago and loving every minute. We went last year and it was just depressing. They don't even do the genie intro in the elevator anymore.

I don't know why they didn't just update and retheme it with Wreck-It Ralph.

I never got a chance to do the animation studio at magic of animation. I always loved seeing the artists at work there and the concept pieces from whatever was the current movie, though. Damnit Disney.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm sad to hear about DisneyQuest, but even when I visited ten years ago it felt run-down and outdated. I guess Disney just never quite knew what to do with it.

Also, ugh, more sports stuff. Disney has some of the richest and most popular IP on the planet, and they're building an attraction centered on... basketball.

Well, I guess I can skip Downtown Disney Springs in September. The only other thing I'm remotely interested in out there is Morimoto Asia, and there's still no official opening date other than "summer". If they're not taking ADR's by now, I'm guessing it won't be open when I arrive.

Not gonna lie: Disney Springs looks like "if you don't make 6 figures a year, stay out" levels of snobby. Especially with the incredibly expensive restaurants they're slinging in there. Don't get me wrong. It's always had some high dollar places. But it seems like almost all of the low dollar places are either getting ignored or are disappearing altogether.

Skeezy posted:

Years ago there was a WCW themed restaurant. I imagine a WWE themed one might do okay, at least for a bit.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Wasn't there a WWF restaurant like 15 years ago that was a piece of poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Not gonna lie: Disney Springs looks like "if you don't make 6 figures a year, stay out" levels of snobby. Especially with the incredibly expensive restaurants they're slinging in there. Don't get me wrong. It's always had some high dollar places. But it seems like almost all of the low dollar places are either getting ignored or are disappearing altogether.

That is their new target audience, it's not a secret anymore. They want the upper percentile, not the blue collar family anymore. It's evident in the way ticket prices continue to soar, the new resorts being built and now DS which is another layer of gold leaf on the cake.

Work with me on this..

As park attendance continues to soar to new levels making it crowded on any given day to the point lines are ridiculous and guest satisfaction plummets. What do you do? Jack up the ticket prices because you know there is a certain level of guest who is affluent and does not care.

The immediate benefit of this is you lower park attendance, raise guest satisfaction and still get your margin with the higher ticket price. The trick is to raise it to the price point you need in order to make this work. The magic number might be $200 per day, who knows but they are experimenting still with pricing. In the end you will have people who have enough month not to care about the park admission and they will spend the money at the park regardless.. no penny pinchers.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 1, 2015