Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ideal_id
Dec 30, 2011
Any tips for last mines in Campaign for Disarmament side mission? Even with upgraded batmobile I still struggle against those flying drones and missile launchers.
I don't know who thought it would be fun to fight against them in a narrow cross shaped street with no room to evade attacks... :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Use the machine gun instead of the cannon and shoot their glowing weakspot.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ideal_id posted:

Any tips for last mines in Campaign for Disarmament side mission? Even with upgraded batmobile I still struggle against those flying drones and missile launchers.
I don't know who thought it would be fun to fight against them in a narrow cross shaped street with no room to evade attacks... :psypop:

Machine gun, and use the hacking, 4th level if you have it. The hacked drones draw fire and damage the non-hacked ones, taking off all the pressure. Basically once you get the hack ability there's no reason to ever use anything else.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Pwnstar posted:

Use the machine gun instead of the cannon and shoot their glowing weakspot.
You can also hit the glowing weakspot with the cannon. I don't think that gives you the critical hit bonus, but it still destroys the tank in one shot.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I've found the tank sections aren't as bad once you've upgraded the Batmobile's armor and weapons all the way, you just really need to prioritize dumping your points into there if you want to make it through the later tank clusterfucks. I still hate the tank sections, but at least they're over with quicker now. Target detection on the gun weakpoints really seems to suck too, I'm on keyboard-mouse so I've got the reticle directly over the little glowy rectangle, and the tank just sits there while the game tells me the gattling gun is ineffective again tank armor or whatever. Get the upgrades to make your 60mm cannon reload faster and to do increased damage to both the turret and body sections. I find the gattling gun only useful against the missiles and helicopters.

My annoying glitch of the day was that Riddler tower thing outside his orphanage. I got the ball with the question mark all the way down to the bottom drawer, opened the drawer with the Batmobile, and the ball rolled to the back where Batman apparently can't reach it. Couldn't push it out with the electric charges either. Pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen, hopefully it'll reset.

That also led me to discover Batman is incapable of crossing the Batmobile's winch cable.

Feenix posted:

The sword/blade back+Triangle is such a clusterfuck when the camera is sort of spinning around you autonomously.
I find combat a lot less fun in this game, it seems more like back in Asylum where Batman won't attack the guy you want, but will instead either attack some guy off-screen, or an electric or shield guy and ruin everything. I rarely used takedowns other than disarm-and-destroy in City because I liked just punching on the guys as long as I could, here I'm using takedowns a lot just to get the fights over with, and it's not like it really matters anyway since XP is a lot less important than taking out checkpoints or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knormal posted:

I find combat a lot less fun in this game, it seems more like back in Asylum where Batman won't attack the guy you want, but will instead either attack some guy off-screen, or an electric or shield guy and ruin everything. I rarely used takedowns other than disarm-and-destroy in City because I liked just punching on the guys as long as I could, here I'm using takedowns a lot just to get the fights over with, and it's not like it really matters anyway since XP is a lot less important than taking out checkpoints or whatever.

The combat mechanics have pretty solid targeting. If you're hitting an electric guy it is because you're aiming towards them. An important trick is to know what gadgets work against what enemies instead of just punching. If there shock-rod guys on the field for example the REC gun will alway prioritize them when you aim even remotely near them. Same goes for the claw and electrified guys, the stun and shield guys, ect. If you're finding yourself hitting the wrong guy try to use a gadget instead of a punch.

Ideal_id
Dec 30, 2011
Thanks for the tips lads! :)

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Y'know, I don't really mind the tank fights, but the fact that there's a bout a billion of them but only like half a dozen times you get to do the team-up fights is a drat shame. Honestly, all of the Batmobile's problems come from how fantastic the mechanics on everything else is. It's not bad, but the punchy/sneaky stuff is so much better that it looks like the weak link. The Batmobile boss fights would actually be about ten times better if the Arkham Knight ever shut the gently caress up.

Honestly, the titular Arkham Knight is the real weak link here. He's the worst part of the plot (even more annoying that the fact that every female character gets kidnapped), his goons are the least visually interesting faction, and he's never even remotely threatening. Especially with John Noble knocking out of the loving park as Scarecrow every time he opens his hosed up mouth. Goddamn, the AK is the whiniest villain in the series, and loving Riddler is in these games! The "boss" fight with him was disappointing, too. After listening to him throw a temper tantrum all game, I really wanted to knock his stupid Jason Todd teeth out. Let me punch at least a little, c'mon!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

The combat mechanics have pretty solid targeting. If you're hitting an electric guy it is because you're aiming towards them. An important trick is to know what gadgets work against what enemies instead of just punching. If there shock-rod guys on the field for example the REC gun will alway prioritize them when you aim even remotely near them. Same goes for the claw and electrified guys, the stun and shield guys, ect. If you're finding yourself hitting the wrong guy try to use a gadget instead of a punch.
No, I'm pointing right at the guy I want to punch, have him centered on screen, direction keys pressed in that direction, and Batman will stand in a corner punching a guy in front of him who's way at the edge of the screen, or leap away from the guy I'm pointing at to hit some guy offscreen I couldn't even see. It might be another PC porting issue. I know the combat mechanics, I'm not super-great or anything but I can get through the fights in City really well, something handles different here.

Crowetron posted:

(even more annoying that the fact that every female character gets kidnapped)
To be fair I think Nightwing's the only major character who isn't kidnapped at some point in this game. Hell even Batman kind of gets kidnapped.

Knormal fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 27, 2015

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Knormal posted:

To be fair I think Nightwing's the only major character who isn't kidnapped at some point in this game. Hell even Batman kind of gets kidnapped.

Actually, that's a good point. I was pretty amused when (big late game spoiler) you swap one captive Gordon for the other

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

If you have a problem with the bat mobile you literally suck at driving it.

It's the best vehicle an arcadey/action game has had IMO. You can actually 'feel' that it has physics/handling rather than being being an on rails arcade vehicle. It actually corners better when you brake in and accelerate out. It loses traction when you try and go too fast through a corner (unless you drift and boost out of it to cut the oversteer), it has gears that wont change up during a corner and you can hear when its sitting on its rev limiter and not accelerating. People complain like its uncontrollable but I'd suggest that you are ignoring it telling you how to drive and just holding down forwards and turn and acting confused when it keeps not working... that isn't going to magically change.

Unlike most open world games with driving (where you have to manually move the camera to see whats on the other side of the corner, this automatically moves the camera to keep it behind the vehicle looking where you are going, so that you can see whats coming, get used to that and don't try and fight it with manual camera inputs. Try changing the camera to the close follow instead of long follow so that its not quite as divorced from where the vehicle is going.

Try experimenting with pressing (not holding) drift heading into a corner then boosting out. (or if you cant get that working, brake in then turn with neither brake nor acceleration held down until you are facing the way you want to go after the corner.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 27, 2015

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Also, the Riddler's races were the perfect opportunity to put in Clock King but you hosed it up, Rocksteady, you hosed it all up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knormal posted:

No, I'm pointing right at the guy I want to punch, have him centered on screen, direction keys pressed in that direction, and Batman will stand in a corner punching a guy in front of him who's way at the edge of the screen, or leap away from the guy I'm pointing at to hit some guy offscreen I couldn't even see. It might be another PC porting issue. I know the combat mechanics, I'm not super-great or anything but I can get through the fights in City really well, something handles different here.

That has to be a PC port issue then.

Also Nightwing gets kidnapped by Penguin.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I almost wonder if the people complaining about the batmobile's handling are on pc or don't realize the trigger is an analogue throttle? If you're stuck just going between full/no throttle it'd probably be a pain in the rear end.

I didn't expect to like the batmobile, and the game has a lot of problems, but the handling of the car isn't one of them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My favorite thing is that Catwoman is just straight up done with Riddlers bullshit all through her kidnapping. She basically says that this is all Batman's fault, she never asked to be dragged into it, and that Riddler is a stupid weirdo rear end in a top hat for even doing it the whole time she's there. And then he runs down a hole, and her reaction is "ha ha ok c'ya later, moron" and immediately leaves, not giving a gently caress.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Ok, i think i missed it but how do i deal with the electro-charged guys? So far i've kinda just been dealing with losing the combo.

Oh and what's the best way to find the mines/firemen? I've tried standing on a tall place and activating detective vision (standing still gives you a 'deeper' range), but haven't had much joy. Do i basically just have to fly around scanning or is there a "clever" way to find them?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Kin posted:

Ok, i think i missed it but how do i deal with the electro-charged guys? So far i've kinda just been dealing with losing the combo.

Oh and what's the best way to find the mines/firemen? I've tried standing on a tall place and activating detective vision (standing still gives you a 'deeper' range), but haven't had much joy. Do i basically just have to fly around scanning or is there a "clever" way to find them?
Guys that have been buffed by a medic lose it to batclaw pull

Guys with electro fists (like the big guys that you have to stun into beat down to kill) need the electro charge gun

Guys with the stun baton you have to double tap jump over their head and hit them in the back

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Qmass posted:

Guys that have been buffed by a medic lose it to batclaw pull

Guys with electro fists (like the big guys that you have to stun into beat down to kill) need the electro charge gun

Guys with the stun baton you have to double tap jump over their head and hit them in the back

The REC Gun also works on the stun baton guys. It makes it overload and does huge damage to them.

Kin posted:

Fly around and look for large groupings of people in a roughly circular pattern with detective vision.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

That has to be a PC port issue then.

Also Nightwing gets kidnapped by Penguin.
Ah, I haven't really started the Penguin arc yet. I thought about mentioning that but figured it probably wouldn't happen because what were the chances literally every major character would be kidnapped. There you go.

Bugblatter posted:

I almost wonder if the people complaining about the batmobile's handling are on pc or don't realize the trigger is an analogue throttle? If you're stuck just going between full/no throttle it'd probably be a pain in the rear end.

I didn't expect to like the batmobile, and the game has a lot of problems, but the handling of the car isn't one of them.
That's definitely a huge part of it. Driving games always suck with keyboard controls. Which is why I'm disappointed it's such a huge part of this game, because after a lifetime of playing games with keyboard/mouse I'm absolutely terrible on controllers.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Is the REC gun story locked or is it just like the ice grenades and I just have to pick it up? I haven't tried punching the glass.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Veotax posted:

Is the REC gun story locked or is it just like the ice grenades and I just have to pick it up? I haven't tried punching the glass.

Go punch the glass.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The REC Gun also works on the stun baton guys. It makes it overload and does huge damage to them.

Fly around and look for large groupings of people in a roughly circular pattern with detective vision.

Ugh, so fly around it is. I thought i could try listening out for chatter like with man bat but i've just not been able to spot the 3 i'm missing in founders island.

I figure at this point i might as well just hit all the riddler challenges as that's probably going to make me visit 90% of the map and i'll stumble across them that way.

edit: One of the things i do really like about the game is the sense of scale you get when you go to the eastern most part of the map. You can see both Arkham city and Arkham Asylum in this distance.

It'll never happen but i'd love for there to be some kind of Master version of the arkham series some time in the future, kind of like an HD re-release, where all 3 areas exist in the same explorable environment with a few extra tweaks made for going back to them with the enhanced stuff you get in the later games.

Like maybe Arkham City/Asylum get taken over by one of the bad guys since they've been abandoned and to prevent it from turning into a bad guy fortress you go back and deal with it.

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 27, 2015

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Qmass posted:

The Batmobile rules~

Agreed, on all counts. The Batmobile in this game is loving amazing, and handles like a dream. Even with a maxed out grapnel boost I still alternate between driving places and gliding places frequently just because the drat thing is such fun to drive.

Honestly, everything about this game except for the performance issues has me extremely impressed. The side quests are better, the combat is better/deeper, the variety in gameplay is incredible, the story is entertaining, and this might be the best collection of Joker in all the media he has ever appeared in. The city looks great, and isn't covered in the green Riddler poo poo like Arkham City was. Hell, I even like the tank combat sections. Having to actually find certain sidequest continuations instead of just "go here, we've marked the waypoint on the map for you" is also perfectly suited to the sidestories they did it for. They also don't just reuse the same old mainstays outside of Joker... Bane and Killer Croc were in all three of the previous games but they and a few others got swapped out for some more obscure rogues. That's always nice to see, though I really would've liked to see Prometheus get the nod for this one (don't ask me how he'd work).

Overall I'm not done with it yet but my current impression is that it's easily the best of the Arkham series, and with the exception of the awful pc port it's pretty much the new gold standard for adapting preexisting characters into videogames. I really feel bad for whatever studio WB forces to resurrect it and pump out future titles, because there is no way they're going to live up to this. I also really hope Rocksteady gets to try their hand with more of DC's properties. Would love to see what they could do with Green Lantern or Wonder Woman.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
here's the best review for this.....ehm...... "game": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOUOzL04Byg .
The fun starts at 03:44 . :drac:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

FisheyStix posted:

Does anyone recognize the weird 8-bit kinda music playing in Harley's little Joker shrine in the western movie set area? The one that's a riddler solution? It's a nifty tune, and I could swear I recognize it from something, but I can't find anything about it online.

If you have a smartphone or tablet get Soundhound, it can figure out songs from humming so it should work there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Knightsoul posted:

here's the best review for this.....ehm...... "game": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOUOzL04Byg .
The fun starts at 03:44 . :drac:

Nananananana hard crash!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
I've run into a big problem on the PS4 version. Whenvever I get to Harley holding up Pandessa Studios and you have to save the Joker infected patients I find a problem that whenever I beat the first two stages, when I get to the door of Stage C right after The Joker/Jason Todd scene with the wheelchair I try to enter Stage C only to end up in the same room I was in before, and the door to Stage C is now locked with the objective marker on the other side of it and I'm trapped since the sliding door closed behind me. Is this another hallucination with a trick to it or a legit bug I'm experiencing?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Finally tracked down the last of the militia missions and that was kind of an anti-climax. But hearing Slade's sad Jr. High fantasy of a tough guy badass dialog when in lockup with the other crooks is pretty amusing.

I have to say, though, I like the way the Challenge Maps worked better in City. The combat in these games is very therapeutic to me, a bit like if someone crossed a puzzle game with a fighting game, so I play the hell out of the combat challenges. I get the impression here you have four different goals; Longest combo, longest without taking a hit, variation high score, and team up battle high score... and while it's cool they each serve a different purpose, I liked revisiting some of the moments of the older games' most climactic brawls a bit better.Plus, it's really weird to see Batman do a wall jump off those glowy forcefields instead of something in the environment.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

I've run into a big problem on the PS4 version. Whenvever I get to Harley holding up Pandessa Studios and you have to save the Joker infected patients I find a problem that whenever I beat the first two stages, when I get to the door of Stage C right after The Joker/Jason Todd scene with the wheelchair I try to enter Stage C only to end up in the same room I was in before, and the door to Stage C is now locked with the objective marker on the other side of it and I'm trapped since the sliding door closed behind me. Is this another hallucination with a trick to it or a legit bug I'm experiencing?

They interacting with the red curtain thing in the middle of the room. I was stuck on this too.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

J2DK posted:

Most of us who are familiar with the comics went, "It's just loving Jason. This is stupid."
I guessed it was Jason Todd before I even played the game.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hey goons I'm playing on PS4 but despite redeeming all pre order bonus DLC Arkham Episodes is still greyed out on the menu for me. I tried renewing licences as I saw this worked for other people but still nothing. If it makes a difference when I first started playing the global stats were connected but now the game says it can't connect to PSN despite PSN being connected. Any help is appreciated.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

OnimaruXLR posted:

Finally tracked down the last of the militia missions and that was kind of an anti-climax.

Do I have to finish ALL the militia stuff (APCs, Towers, and Checkpoints) to put Deathstroke in lockup?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

ChickenHeart posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention it before but I've grown to love the "pick up a weapon off the floor and use it" ability. There's just something extremely satisfying about using a wooden baseball bat to absolutely wipe the floor with an entire squad of those cyber-ninja dudes.

"Oh, what's that, you're covered head-to-toe in kevlar and possess meter-long blades that extend from your wrists? *Breaks every rib with a steel pipe*

It's great, because weapons are basically an "ignore the enemy's bullshit defenses" button. A baseball bat or steel pipe will gently caress up any enemy type in the game, without exception. That's good design, and keeps combat flowing nicely.

EDIT: Also, count me as another one who loves the Batmobile. While its addition may seem unnecessary, the addition of vehicles altogether helps keep action going, and makes the city feel more interesting and varied.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 27, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So, i feel dumb but how do i get the riddler trophy in Pandessa Studios where the switch is only active when you're not looking at it but you can see it in the reflection of the mirror.

All in all the trophies are fine and it's a nice variety of things you have to do to get them. Yeah there's a lot but it gives a reason to explore a really detailed world. My only real gripe with it is how you unlock the locations and how you've basically gotta wrangle some mook to find them. I kept thinking i had all of them for the first island and then i found more and more Ridder goons, i swear this is part of why it's so time consuming.

Also, one of the challenges kinda confirmed that the Batmobile is just as agile if not more agile at getting you around the city compared to gliding. It involved you getting from one side of the map to the other in 45 seconds which was nearly impossible from gliding alone (in a straight line as well as ling launching/speed gliding) while the batmobile got me there with about 5 seconds to spare.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Turns out you can't get more than 20 rival points on a single AR challenge. And it's not that hard to get in the one where you play as Azrael.

RatHat posted:

Also are there Riddler challenges in this game? Like the "Perform X takedowns" kinda thing.

The closest thing is the unlock requirements for AR challenges.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

They interacting with the red curtain thing in the middle of the room. I was stuck on this too.

Thanks, I was really tired last night and didn't think of that.

Second question: How do you do a "critical shot" with the batmobile's tank mode? I didn't see it on the move list.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
In the main story, is there a "point of no return", or can you go back after the end of the game to clean up any remaining side quests?

edit: Also where do I find the ice grenades?

ymgve fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 27, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Knormal posted:

To be fair I think Nightwing's the only major character who isn't kidnapped at some point in this game.

Penguin sidequest.

TheJoker138 posted:

My favorite thing is that Catwoman is just straight up done with Riddlers bullshit all through her kidnapping. She basically says that this is all Batman's fault, she never asked to be dragged into it, and that Riddler is a stupid weirdo rear end in a top hat for even doing it the whole time she's there. And then he runs down a hole, and her reaction is "ha ha ok c'ya later, moron" and immediately leaves, not giving a gently caress.

Catwoman was done with Riddler's BS before things even started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVgobcqJCBk

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Namaste posted:

Do I have to finish ALL the militia stuff (APCs, Towers, and Checkpoints) to put Deathstroke in lockup?

Yes. You'll kind of poo poo yourself when you hear that his tank has 360 degree detection, but it's comically easy to take out (compared to the Cloudburst tank) if you're being careful and dispatch his cover first. Following how loving amazing his boss fight was in Origins, prepare to be disappointed.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ymgve posted:

Also where do I find the ice grenades?

It's on a table next to the empty cell in the studios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wUPPhC2mQ

• Locked thread