Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bring loving Golden Meta Cooler for god's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dexo posted:

And. BoG still exists? Watch that.

People care way too much about canon and what's real and what's not. BoG doesn't phase out of existence because they decide to go a different route for the TV series.

Also it seems more likely that the only thing they are retconning about BoG is how long Beerus was sleeping before coming to earth.

Agreed. Canon arguments are the loving worst.

However, retconning something that came out two years ago is also stupid and confusing to people.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

And then Golden King Cold.

King Gold.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Bring loving Golden Meta Cooler for god's sake.
Super Saiyan God Legendary Super Saiyan Golden Bio Broly.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Zedd posted:

Super Saiyan God Legendary Super Saiyan Golden Bio Broly.

We need to go deeper.

Villainous Mode Legendary SSGSSJ4 Golden Meta Bio-Broldock.

Riding on Hildegarn.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In the last episode of Dragon Ball Super, Toriyama will come on-screen announce that this entire franchise is actually a lengthy remake of Kurosawa's Rashomon, and then he'll laugh at the idea of canon.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

tbp posted:

wait why the heck is this before rof. i wanted to see the new power levels and top class villains. its garbage knowing the future and i do not like this

We'll get that regardless, they already confirmed at least 100 episodes. That's a freaking huge commitment for an original anime, even a sequel.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Dragon Ball canonically ended when the real Akira Toriyama died of a heart attack sometime in the mid 1990s.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

Dragon Ball canonically ended when the real Akira Toriyama died of a heart attack sometime in the mid 1990s.
Nanomachines son!

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Raxivace posted:

In the last episode of Dragon Ball Super, Toriyama will come on-screen announce that this entire franchise is actually a lengthy remake of Kurosawa's Rashomon, and then he'll laugh at the idea of canon.

The whole episode will actually be a clip of Toriyama taking a poo poo looped for 23 minutes

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

XboxPants posted:

We'll get that regardless, they already confirmed at least 100 episodes. That's a freaking huge commitment for an original anime, even a sequel.

Yeah, even being Dragon Ball, I'm still honestly shocked that it's starting at 100 episodes. I expected they'd do a standard small set at first, maybe two, seeing how things go after 26 episodes or so and play it by ear. But dropping in on 100 episodes out the gate? I'm more than happy to let them take their time.

I think a lot of people are just used to being able to remember their favorite individual moments or skip poo poo they didn't like at this point, since DBZ's been out forever now. Personally I liked the first chapter of Super Manga, and everything I've seen of the anime, so I'm pretty pumped (good or bad) to see how this plays out. Either it'll be ground zero for the rebirth of DBZ, or it'll be ground zero for GT 2: Super Tour, and either way it'll probably be entertaining.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't even care about canon I care them wasting episodes on a less-good version of BoG

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Wheatbeerus

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Diabeerus

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

XboxPants posted:

Wait whatttttttt

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dragonball is back bigtime

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tbp posted:

wait why the heck is this before rof. i wanted to see the new power levels and top class villains. its garbage knowing the future and i do not like this

if they go any further into the future they risk invalidating dragon ball gt.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
DBGT is bad and I am seriously worried Super will be worse.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, lots of people already hating a series that hasn't even come out yet.

I get being worried about it with how it seems to have a loose interpretation of Battle of Gods but let's give it a chance, alright? If it ends up being terrible, and that can definitely happen don't get me wrong, then it's another bad Dragon Ball thing in a sea of good things and maybe we'll get more movies in the future or something, I dunno. If it's good, then awesome, another great anime to watch!

Goku wouldn't be this negative.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

XboxPants posted:

:worship:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So as I've been watching Kai, I find it interesting how much of a non-entity Master Roshi is. Like, his story function seems to only be having a house that's convenient for everyone to meet up at.

He was a pretty important figure through at least 2/3 of Dragon Ball, and it's kind of sad how he is just a background character now. It would be nice to see him occasionally giving like, advice or something to people beyond lines like "Don't go and fight the Androids! You'll get killed!".

Perhaps he should have died permanently partway through the series, or in Dragon Ball or something. I don't know. What do you guys think of Roshi's character in Z/Z Kai and beyond?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
He remembers how to get huge in Resurrection F at least. Not sure how effective he is in it, but he's got some screen time in the trailer.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, lots of people already hating a series that hasn't even come out yet.

did you miss the part where they basically released the entire first episode through promotional material.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Raxivace posted:

At which point the entirety of everything released related to Dragonball will be released again over the course of 30 years, from different viewpoints with various changes to events. And then again after that.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

They will likely either edit/split up the movies as episodes; or re-imagine them to fit in with the details from super.
In the worst case imagine they are compilation movies, except released beforehand. :v:
To use some well known examples the Gurren Lagann or Gundam 0079 movies are both telling the same story as their shows, just in slightly different ways.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

zelah posted:

He remembers how to get huge in Resurrection F at least. Not sure how effective he is in it, but he's got some screen time in the trailer.

it's still kinda ridiculous that they let Roshi fight, and yet considered it to be too dangerous to bring Yamcha, Chiaotzu, Android 18, and Goten & Trunks(especially since Gotenks is the strongest fighter they have without Goku, Vegeta, and Buu available, and 18 is almost as strong as Piccolo and definitely stronger than Gohan is currently[it's kinda hilarious to think of those who actually fight in Resurrection F, that Gohan's power has dropped to the point where it's quite likely that the only people he's actually stronger than are Roshi and Jaco]), especially in a world where death really doesn't matter as long as the Earth and it's Dragon Balls don't get destroyed(and even then they have New Namek's set)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Considering how Gotenks worked on Buu... And Goten looking like Goku. I think it was a smart idea not to bring them.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Kild posted:

Considering how Gotenks worked on Buu... And Goten looking like Goku. I think it was a smart idea not to bring them.

"This filthy monkey also has a final form?"

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Everyone making bad jokes and puns about Fat Beerus. It's not his fault he's stout.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
hope this new show doesnt use too much cgi

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I just want to know if Jaco will be in Super. He's such a Cool Dude.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
What the hell is with DBM and it's obsession over Bojack, the dude by himself was pretty jobbed without those minions with wire powers.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

SirDrone posted:

What the hell is with DBM and it's obsession over Bojack, the dude by himself was pretty jobbed without those minions with wire powers.

I'm guessing the fact that Bojack Unbound was one of the best DBZ movies plus he's not just some brainless monster created to fight Goku. He's a dude who had a life before he showed up on Earth so they took the opportunity to make up a backstory for him instead of just filling the spot with someone they made up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Real talk, Bojack Unbound was boring as poo poo and fell into the exact same trappings literally every other DBZ movie did and it's insanely unremarkable except for the fact the main character is Gohan and it fits into the timeline.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like that Teen Gohan wears the Goku colours/Roshi Gi well and that's about it.
I suppose even that was kind of pointless and was to make it feel more like Goku was around despite not being around.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I enjoyed the fights in Bojack Unbound a lot, which is more than I can say about most of the others. It's not like a spectacular film or anything but compared to the low standard of DBZ movies it's pretty good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bojack unbound was painfully average, both in terms of fights and its villain.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
more like borejack snorebound

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
more like The Galaxy's at the Brink!! The Super Incredible Gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I think you guys are overestimating how involved Toriyama is with this show. It's definitely not a direct writing credit like there is for BoG or RoF.

Retconning the movies is stupid and a giant waste of time

Toriyama wrote the outline for the new show.

• Locked thread