Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I've played some two-player co-op Mage Knight recently, and while Mage Knight is a great game, playing it co-op really feels like playing two parallel games instead of really cooperating. The combined city assaults are kind of cool, but they're still not very interactive.

What are other options for pure co-op (meaning not needing a DM like Descent) adventure games? Are there any where the mechanics are close to as good as those in Mage Knight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Kylaer posted:

I've played some two-player co-op Mage Knight recently, and while Mage Knight is a great game, playing it co-op really feels like playing two parallel games instead of really cooperating. The combined city assaults are kind of cool, but they're still not very interactive.

What are other options for pure co-op (meaning not needing a DM like Descent) adventure games? Are there any where the mechanics are close to as good as those in Mage Knight?

The expansion helps a bit with that, the AI for Volkare gives just enough oopmh.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Edit: also a keyflower reprint kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/keyflower-is-awesome

Hope they include a promo tiles pledge

I'm seeing Game Salute getting a lot of flak. Is this worth backing with them in the mix? I was hoping I'd find a copy of Keyflower at Gencon but this might be a better option.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Zombie #246 posted:

The expansion helps a bit with that, the AI for Volkare gives just enough oopmh.

I've got the expansion, haven't played using Volkare yet though. I'll have to study how his AI works. But even with Volkare, you still can't, say, buff up the other player, or anything like that, can you? And other than coordinating your assault on Volkare, you're still playing in parallel rather than reinforcing each other.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bubble-T posted:

Without a dummy player there's no reason not to park your rear end on every gem mine for 3 turns or sit on magical glades until you're fully healed. The game breaks without time pressure.

This is simply not true. Time pressure is also applied via the scenario turn limit (3 days and 3 nights, or whatever).

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

This is simply not true. Time pressure is also applied via the scenario turn limit (3 days and 3 nights, or whatever).

Sure, but you could drag those days out to an insane number of turns - camping out to mine and heal being the most obvious. Later, once you've got a bunch of per turn abilities, you could probably farm monsters for ages while nursing your deck.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I find the dummy player in Mage Knight is a pain in the butt, I just do this for a timer:

1)Make a pile of 5 crystals, every colour but gold
2)At the end of every turn roll 4 mana dice, any colour that comes up on two dice (including gold as a wild card) is removed from the pile
3)when the pile is empty, the last turn is declared and everyone gets one more turn then the round is over.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Rumda posted:

Troublemaker is always fun.

Jedit posted:

You should always include four things in an ONUW setup. The Seer is needed for information, the Robber/Witch is needed so someone can make definitive statements on what a person is, the Troublemaker/VI is needed to make it harder to recreate the night, and the Tanner is needed to muddy the waters. Also if you're playing Mystic Wolf you should include Apprentice Seer to increase the viable false claims.

The other thing you should do is make sure that one-third of all roles are Werewolves, because you really need at least two Werewolves in the village.

In your setup I would replace one of the vanilla Werewolves with the Alpha Wolf or replace the Bodyguard with the Paranormal Investigator.

Thanks for the answers to you both. I like the idea of adding the P.I. so I think I'll go with that.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Kylaer posted:

I've got the expansion, haven't played using Volkare yet though. I'll have to study how his AI works. But even with Volkare, you still can't, say, buff up the other player, or anything like that, can you? And other than coordinating your assault on Volkare, you're still playing in parallel rather than reinforcing each other.

Ah yeah, I misunderstood. Yeah there isn't necessarily a way to directly help each other, more coordinate each other's hands.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rutibex posted:

I find the dummy player in Mage Knight is a pain in the butt, I just do this for a timer:

2)At the end of every turn roll 4 mana dice, any colour that comes up on two dice (including gold as a wild card) is removed from the pile
3)when the pile is empty, the last turn is declared and everyone gets one more turn then the round is over.
I agree with Rutibex on this one.

...man, what a weird thing to say.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Rutibex posted:

What part of "you can't have good opinions" don't you understand!? Get back in your box!

No seriously, this is good

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

jmzero posted:

Sure, but you could drag those days out to an insane number of turns - camping out to mine and heal being the most obvious. Later, once you've got a bunch of per turn abilities, you could probably farm monsters for ages while nursing your deck.

But you can't farm monsters indefinitely, since monsters are a limited resource. In fact, the one time I tried playing a game with more than two players, the lack of things to kill became a serious problem, nobody could level up enough to face the tougher challenges.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Kylaer posted:

But you can't farm monsters indefinitely, since monsters are a limited resource. In fact, the one time I tried playing a game with more than two players, the lack of things to kill became a serious problem, nobody could level up enough to face the tougher challenges.

He said a lot, not indefinitely - though some sites do allow indefinite farming. You'd be limited by the number of cards in your deck, since you need to use one each turn - unless you manage something with skills like Power of Pain to keep getting wounded while earning more fame than the wounds cost, playing only the wounds.

I think the learning scenario doesn't adjust the map appropriately for player count, so it can be a bit extra cramped. The conquest/co-op ones should work fine though - you might have to be more aggressive or efficient.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Kylaer posted:

Some favorite DM-less adventure games that aren't MK include Legends of Andor and Magic Realm (but the latter is an old school out of print.) Defenders of the Realm is OK and we've gotten good value from it but it shows its age. It's a "group with limited resources against semirandom nonintelligent bruteforce horde" which is fine... just showing its age IMO.

I grabbed Temple of Elemental Evil but haven't tried it yet.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Eternal Hobo posted:

I'm looking for some suggestions for quick (less than an hour) and easy to learn games. Right now I'm looking at stuff like Tsuro, Kingdom Builder, and Love Letter. I'm trying to stay fairly simple because some of the concepts in Small World confused a couple of my friends. That could have been due to the fact we were drinking at the time though.

Small World has way too much stuff up front with all the races and adjectives, which overloads new people. Also it's not a very good game. What you want is probably something like Colt Express, Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, Carcasonne, and other staple newbie games. Stay away from Dominion for now, since it has the same problem with upfront information as Small World.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The difference is that in Dominion, if you can't remember what a card does, you can read it.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

Some favorite DM-less adventure games that aren't MK include Legends of Andor and Magic Realm (but the latter is an old school out of print.) Defenders of the Realm is OK and we've gotten good value from it but it shows its age. It's a "group with limited resources against semirandom nonintelligent bruteforce horde" which is fine... just showing its age IMO.

I grabbed Temple of Elemental Evil but haven't tried it yet.

Do you mean Legends of Andor is one of your favourites, or a thread favourite? I don't think I've seen anyone mention it in the thread and my group wasn't too impressed by it when we played the first four legends.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Came across this at an Amsterdam train station:

The game is Lifestyle, which I've never heard of, but apparently someone didn't like it :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is it still in it's wrapping? Kinda hard to tell with the lighting.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Someone should run the numbers on this because I'm kinda curious, but also too lazy to check.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is it still in it's wrapping? Kinda hard to tell with the lighting.

Yeah, still in the shrink. Probably someone's shopping got nicked and the thief dumped the game when he found out what he'd taken.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Stelas posted:

Someone should run the numbers on this because I'm kinda curious, but also too lazy to check.

I dunno about the numbers, but one issue that strikes me is that most people won't have enough mana dice to do it without remembering what was in the source, and resetting it every turn.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stelas posted:

I've played tons of games with this method and found it puts just the right amount of pressure on. Near the beginning of the game it's fairly simple to go though your deck, but near the end you really need to push to use all your cards before the round ends. I like it because it gives you a nice visual indicator of how much time you have left (the number of crystals remaining), but as the pile diminishes it becomes more and more unlikely that the remaining colours will come up in a roll. You never know exactly how many turns you have left, but you can make educated guesses based on statistics.

thespaceinvader posted:

I dunno about the numbers, but one issue that strikes me is that most people won't have enough mana dice to do it without remembering what was in the source, and resetting it every turn.

I will admit I've only ever used that method solo. Mage Knight is another of those games I just can't find anyone to play against (due to its complexity). Thank god it's a really good solo game!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Stelas posted:

I'm going to. My gut tells me this can cause later rounds to be shorter on average than if you use the dummy player due to the fact that the dummy player gets an extra card every round. Of course, the extra mana crystal may balance this out. Interesting idea regardless.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Can someone recommend for me cool boardgames that I can play with groups of 2-7 smart people that are good for the whole range of strategy nerds, casual nerds, and not nerds?

Much appreciated, Gord bless

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hand Knit posted:

Can someone recommend for me cool boardgames that I can play with groups of 2-7 smart people that are good for the whole range of strategy nerds, casual nerds, and not nerds?

7 wonders. Get a smaller group.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

Pictomania, Carcassone, Battlestar Galactica

have fun

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hand Knit posted:

The player count range is a bit of a problem. There are lots of great 2-5 player games, but once you start getting into 7+ you are pretty much only going to be able to play party games like Cards Against Humanity. Maybe The Resistance?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Hand Knit posted:

Say Anything, Camel Cup, Pictomania, Resistance:Avalon, 7 Wonders, Ladies & Gentlemen.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Rutibex posted:

As someone else said, this method does not account for longer rounds when players add more cards to their decks, but it reduces some maintenance in a game that direly needs it.This seems like a good idea, I need to do some math.

thespaceinvader posted:

Use a bunch of d6 instead and put some mana tokens in a file in order to remember what number equals what colour. Or use Arythea's polarization skill as a cheat sheet for the order.

EDIT: Or just be a lazy bastard

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 27, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The dummy player app is great.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

House Louse posted:

Do you mean Legends of Andor is one of your favourites, or a thread favourite? I don't think I've seen anyone mention it in the thread and my group wasn't too impressed by it when we played the first four legends.

I was speaking personally. I think the pickings are slim for DM-less adventure games (Eldritch Horror would fit in as well though, I forgot that one.)

A number of things impressed me with Legends, including smaller things like good art design and learning it was a snap. I mostly liked how the game has something going for it besides semirandom monster flood & random events. It worked well for us but not for everyone though I guess.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Played March of the Ants with another friend, bringing it up to a 4 player game, and he also liked it a lot better than Eclipse, citing that it's less fiddly and combat is less bullshit. Also, 4 player brings in a whole hell of a lot more conflict than 3 players. It was still pretty satisfying to win the game, although there could be issues with "luck of the draw" if you get a good goal in turn 1 or something. It's less luck-based than it seems, though, since I don't think there are a whole lot of dud evolutions, and even if there were, it's easy enough to cycle cards you don't want or just use them in fights.

I think a 4 player game with explanation took like 90-120 minutes, and that was playing with the "long game" variant (aka an extra round), and the rounds usually increase in duration as the game moves on, so it would probably be like 20-30 minutes quicker if you played it on a normal mode.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Thanks for all the great answers.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

GrandpaPants posted:

Played March of the Ants with another friend, bringing it up to a 4 player game, and he also liked it a lot better than Eclipse, citing that it's less fiddly and combat is less bullshit. Also, 4 player brings in a whole hell of a lot more conflict than 3 players. It was still pretty satisfying to win the game, although there could be issues with "luck of the draw" if you get a good goal in turn 1 or something. It's less luck-based than it seems, though, since I don't think there are a whole lot of dud evolutions, and even if there were, it's easy enough to cycle cards you don't want or just use them in fights.

I think a 4 player game with explanation took like 90-120 minutes, and that was playing with the "long game" variant (aka an extra round), and the rounds usually increase in duration as the game moves on, so it would probably be like 20-30 minutes quicker if you played it on a normal mode.

Pretty sure I have to pick this up. I'm just not buying any games for a bit because money + I got a ton of games I still haven't played. Keep posting your experiences with this one, I love to hear them.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

As someone else said, this method does not account for longer rounds when players add more cards to their decks, but it reduces some maintenance in a game that direly needs it.This seems like a good idea, I need to do some math.

Use a bunch of d6 instead and put some mana tokens in a file in order to remember what number equals what colour. Or use Arythea's polarization skill as a cheat sheet for the order.

EDIT: Or just be a lazy bastard

Thanks for linking it, since the App Store search is a piece of poo poo and when I tried to look for it earlier, literally comes up with no results on both my phone and iPad. Also Volkare makes a much better dummy player though granted, it doesn't really reduce bookkeeping.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Hand Knit posted:

Like everyone else Im going to tell you playing a 3 and a 4 player game or a 5 and a 2 player game is going to give you so many more options especially if you guys are just getting started as a group and some of you in boardgames as a whole. 7 wonders is going to be the go to option for group play strategy game wise. Space Cadets and Space Cadets Dice duel are always a great time but they're more party game than strategy game. And there are lots and lots of party games that can handle 7 players of course but I don't think that's the kind of game you're looking for. There are more complicated games that can handle 7 or 8 people but they're really not appropriate for getting a group started or getting people started in the hobby.

4outof5 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 27, 2015

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

4outof5 posted:

Like everyone else Im going to tell you playing a 3 and a 4 player game or a 5 and a 2 player game are going to give you so many more options especially if you guys are just getting started as a group and some of you in boardgames as a whole. 7 wonders is going to be the go to option for group play strategy game wise. Space Cadets and Space Cadets Dice duel are always a great time but they're more party game than strategy game. And there are lots and lots of party games that can handle 7 players of course but I don't think that's the kind of game you're looking for. There are more complicated games that can handle 7 or 8 people but they're really not appropriate for getting a group started or getting people started in the hobby.

6 player games are fine too

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

EvilChameleon posted:

Pretty sure I have to pick this up. I'm just not buying any games for a bit because money + I got a ton of games I still haven't played. Keep posting your experiences with this one, I love to hear them.

One thing that I really appreciated is that a round ends when 2 players "pass," which means that you're not actually incentivized to hoard resources (food and larvae/ants) so that you can do a bunch of actions at the end that nobody can react to. I personally hate it when someone has the opportunity to delay without revealing their plans, so making people do the things they need to do is a good thing. Plus, like Kemet, it sorta encourages confrontation since you get veeps for winning battles, along with taking over territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hand Knit posted:

6 player games are fine too

Virgin Queen :getin: