Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

circ dick soleil posted:

Gamergate is bad and full of people who call themselves things like "The Commissar of Gamergate". They make videos where they plan attack strategies and find ways to make people not say the things they are saying, or prevent games from getting made because they have the wrong message. I think this is wrong. Games should not be judged based on politics, they should be judged on gameplay. If a feminist game comes out and it's a good and fun game, then it is a good and fun game. If you're a game reviewer then you should give the game a good score based on its gameplay, and not give it a bad score because it's all about Andrea Dworkin or some other person whose opinions are not your own. Also price should be taken into consideration. If an otherwise okay game is free then that's really cool, because it's like free entertainment which is cool and everyone likes that. If the same okay game is priced at $60 then that sucks. Depression Quest was free which makes it cool. Even if you don't agree with the message and hate depressed people, it's still a game you can think about and think "I'm glad that game exists and it is free so if I feel like playing it I can, and if I don't feel like playing it I don't have to" so that is cool. Tale of Tales charged a lot of money for their games, and even had DLC. That is why they were bad. If all of their games were free then I would think they are good. Gamergate doesn't think so, and believes that even free games can be bad, which is not true (unless the games are computer viruses). Gamergate wants to stop the games and make it so there are less games, and no more free ones, when in fact the opposite should be true. There should be more games, especially the free ones, which are the best.

Games should be judged on its own merits, definitely. I mean, again, I'd love to play a feminist game. If it is good, obviously. Also, that was one of the major criticisms with Polygon. They started giving games lower scores because they felt they were sexist or didn't align with their views. Normally, who cares but when you take Metacritic into account, a lower score could mean less money for the development staff. This happened with Fallout: New Vegas. Obsidian developed it and their bonus was contingent upon a Metacritc score of 90.They got an 89 because they had to rush it out and it had some bugs at launch. They didn't get their bonus. Now contrast this with a good game with no bugs, but because the reviewer didn't agree or didn't like the content, they gave it a lower score. Which means less money for the development staff simply because someone disagreed with your ideas. This is a huge problem and one of the reasons scores need to be done away with altogether. Obviously, Metacritic score should not be tied to bonuses, but that's the unfortunate reality. When money is on the line and it could mean another game of that quality or not, people tend to get defensive.

Also, yeah. Sunset was $20, which is the same price as 'Gone Home' (critically acclaimed) and $5 bucks less than the amazing 'Stanley Parable'. It is pretty easy to see why they only sold 4k copies. People were not willing to take a risk on a game for that price, especially when it turned out to be boring. This is also why you see a lot of bad indies coming out against Steam refunds. Because they could no longer trick people into buying garbage that wasn't advertised correctly.

Clarste posted:

The incestuous relationship between the media the AAA game industry seems like a much bigger problem to me, given that the journalists are literally being paid to advertise games. And quite frankly, this is totally unavoidable because otherwise the developers would have zero motivation to do all the press releases and review copy stuff that lets game journalists have a job at all. The industry literally exists to be the marketing arm of AAA companies. Yet for some reason they're complaining about one random indie developer who got lucky. As if that somehow matters in the slightest.

Is Quinn even making money off that thing? Did whatever little coverage she got keep her afloat? Oh, apparently it's totally free and her ad earned her literally nothing. To say nothing of the fact that no-names getting popular is essentially random in any industry you care to look at.

I guess you could make the argument that indies were supposed to be different and not involved with colluding and being shilled for. So I guess people feel betrayed by that. They expect it from AAA publishers. They don't expect it from smaller, indie developers.

EDIT:

circ dick soleil posted:

Depression Quest was a free game so it can only be good. The same is true for Dear Esther, when it was only a source mod. It was good because you could walk around and look at stuff, and it didn't cost you any money. When you were done looking at it you could uninstall it from your computer, and maybe reinstall it and play it again later. Another great source mod was Minerva. Saying that free games are bad is similar to fascism in many ways.

Furthermore I don't understand your connection between Gone Home and Sunset. They're both very different games.

Some free games can be bad, some can be good. If I play a bad free game, I just shrug because I didn't have to pay money for it. I'm not going to crazy and yell about it because again, no money invested.

As for Sunset and Gone Home, they do have certain things in common and I just feel that Sunset was trying to ape the success of Gone Home which was a better game than Sunset was.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

NightVis posted:

I don't really think a lot of ancillary GG supporters or people on the fence are so much in favor of gamergate, it's more that the crowd gamergate tends to target are pretty godamn unsympathetic on the whole. Things are so polarized that people who curse themselves by paying half an ounce of attention to this are almost given a lovely choice where acknowledging t the "rain wet, sun will rise" fact that channers and MRAs are human garbage has to come with statements like "Revolution 60 was good" "Phil Fish is a good guy" and "Arthur Chu, helluva writer"
This is a good point overall but your later assertion is wanting, depending on your "almost" qualifier.

I mean Revolution 60 has lovely Bratz-doll character models and PS2 era but rendered in HD graphics and can only be charitably described as anything more than mediocre in the low-bar mobile market (not so much on Steam where even among the greenlight masses it does not compare well at all) and Phil Fish can choke on the same dick he told people to choke on via Twitter and I've seriously never had to qualify those opinions ever.

Also Arthur Chu is a good writer, or at least he can be. He can even sometimes be a good guest.

NightVis posted:

The art games deal is a "thing" largely because the gaming press can be overly solicitous towards it in a way that outsizes its actual interest among the consumers, which is a pretty big disconnect from the consumers of the products they're covering. I think a lot of the gaming journos covered in this shitstorm are generally just writing about games to get a byline, and would rather be doing some political blogging somewhere. When you got a disconnect (I'd even go as far as to say contempt) that hard between the audience and writers there's going to be some natural tension going both ways. If Ebert were covering some fresh film grad's 10 minute short, people would think it'd be out of place. Then again, Ebert actually wanted to be writing about movies.

NightVis posted:

That's a lot of what it came down to in my opinion. It wasn't so much that there was coverage of the art games or games that looked at social issues, it was more that they got ahead of themselves and didn't necessarily cover games, they covered gestures at games. Depression Quest and Tales of Tales games fit into that "hits all the right notes for this subset of the press, didn't bring anything to the table" box that people are getting irrationally angry at. It'd be fair to still call those games art, but they were bad art, and getting the level of promotion that a lot of small developers would give their right arm for does make the disconnect I've been talking about deeper. People naturally don't like shills. Someone telling you that (AAA release) is the greatest thing on the planet is grating enough. Seeing the gaming equivalent of a crust punk's garage band getting international press just makes the (already laughable) system look even more illegitimate.

NightVis posted:

and my counterpoint is that the silly artsy zero effort game got the creator an outsized level of exposure, although half of that is because said creator was running in a "scene" with a lot of the same people who'd end up writing about her project. Meanwhile, small devs are going out of business all over the place because they can't get eyeballs on their products. I don't subscribe at all to the "sex for reviews" slander but she was definitely running in a clique, and that kind of incestuous relationship between artists and the people who cover them is bad enough, add to the fact that she's really not created anything of technical or artistic merit and I can see why projects like hers have become a folk devil to a lot of people.
I think in this case it's a pretty similar thing to how movie critics tend to prefer "indie" and "arthouse" films far more than the general audience because they've been watching so many movies. This is neither strange or unexpected.

Your second point is interesting, however, since in a few notable cases the most prominent and "energetic" (also angry) drivers of gamergate have been indie developers themselves - RogueStar and Sargon and to a degree Varva - who feel they have been wronged by the gaming press, especially in terms of being denied sufficient coverage of their own indie game they will finish any day now. Basically it doesn't matter that DQ got scant coverage even for a free indie game, mostly in greenlight roundup mentions, or that most of Fez's press came from getting in bed with Microsoft and agreeing to be in Indie Game The Movie - it's the perception of such slights that matter. And that can drive a dev into deeper conspiracy theories and wheels within wheels, as it did to RogueStar.

Also I know this thread has a short memory but Zoe worked on Framed too. I mean I don't know how significant that contribution is but again, she is in the credits

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Cingulate posted:

No, the question was: on average, are the people who e.g. hate that blue-haired woman with the umlaut in her name more motivated by sexism, or by genuine concern regarding ethics in video game journalism, proportionally speaking?

I'm in entire agreement that the hate she generates is based on sexism. Anyone with a genuine interest in the state of the industry would look at her as perhaps an annoying, overrated hanger-on, but indicative of a larger problem instead of the avatar of all that is evil.

circ dick soleil posted:

No but it would be cool to discuss them in a way that doesn't bring up Gamergate, and I'd be willing to wait until GG dies to do that.

sadly I'm a giant sperg about both indie gaming and the inner workings of the left in relation to culture. it's seriously pathological and I can't help myself.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cardboard Box A posted:

This is a good point overall but your later assertion is wanting, depending on your "almost" qualifier.

I mean Revolution 60 has lovely Bratz-doll character models and PS2 era but rendered in HD graphics and can only be charitably described as anything more than mediocre in the low-bar mobile market (not so much on Steam where even among the greenlight masses it does not compare well at all) and Phil Fish can choke on the same dick he told people to choke on via Twitter and I've seriously never had to qualify those opinions ever.

For those not versed in Revolution 60. Here is an example:

(Also, don't ask me how that is de-sexualized. She looks like a corpse to begin with). This game somehow cost half a million dollars to make.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 27, 2015

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Dapper Dan posted:

Games should be judged on its own merits, definitely. I mean, again, I'd love to play a feminist game. If it is good, obviously. Also, that was one of the major criticisms with Polygon. They started giving games lower scores because they felt they were sexist or didn't align with their views. Normally, who cares but when you take Metacritic into account, a lower score could mean less money for the development staff. This happened with Fallout: New Vegas. Obsidian developed it and their bonus was contingent upon a Metacritc score of 90.They got an 89 because they had to rush it out and it had some bugs at launch. They didn't get their bonus. Now contrast this with a good game with no bugs, but because the reviewer didn't agree or didn't like the content, they gave it a lower score. Which means less money for the development staff simply because someone disagreed with your ideas. This is a huge problem and one of the reasons scores need to be done away with altogether. Obviously, Metacritic score should not be tied to bonuses, but that's the unfortunate reality. When money is on the line and it could mean another game of that quality or not, people tend to get defensive.

I know, it's really dumb and this is something that I was much more willing to talk about before Gamergate. Gamergate is a movement that's motivated by hate and causes more ethical problems than it solves. Now I don't want to talk about stuff like this because I don't want to agree with them or give them a soapbox. Some retard bitch gave GTAV a 7/10 which I thought was really unfair, not because the game doesn't deserve a 7/10 but because that one review alone put it below GTAIV on metacritic, which everyone knows is hosed up and wrong because GTAV was better than GTAIV. All this because one rear end in a top hat wanted to be a contrarian hipster too cool for mainstream. Also there were people pretending to be offended because it doesn't have a female protagonist, and they were all men which is weird too. Now whenever I talk about this stuff I'm haunted by the mental images of David Aurini clutching a toy skull and grinning at me as he mouths the words "this is what a patriarch looks like". It's all so hosed up beyond belief.

Dapper Dan posted:

Some free games can be bad, some can be good. If I play a bad free game, I just shrug because I didn't have to pay money for it. I'm not going to crazy and yell about it because again, no money invested.

As for Sunset and Gone Home, they do have certain things in common and I just feel that Sunset was trying to ape the success of Gone Home which was a better game than Sunset was.

I've heard people, in real life, complain about too many lovely indie games in the Steam greenlight because they didn't want to have to look at them. One of them even said that Binding of Isaac was better than Binding of Isaac Rebirth because Rebirth was "pixelshit". Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :smithicide:

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 27, 2015

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Yeah that game looks wretched. I mean, where's the loving chin? Is that a nose-snout? drat.

Still, Wu's not a valid target for harassment even if she might be some kind of idiot (neither is anyone).

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Also Arthur Chu is a good writer, or at least he can be. He can even sometimes be a good guest.

I've always felt that Chu tries to speak in too many online left shibboleths to be appealing. He's trying to give his hot take a lot of the time but comes across like docevil that one time on attack of the show. I talked with someone recently (who's not aware of any of this trashfire) who read his recent Slate piece on shootings. She felt the same way I did, that he was making a decent point, but it was almost like his was writing to impress that small subset of the internet left in the process, which really detracted from what he was doing. He's really playing the game for points and it's pretty distasteful.

quote:

I think in this case it's a pretty similar thing to how movie critics tend to prefer "indie" and "arthouse" films far more than the general audience because they've been watching so many movies. This is neither strange or unexpected.

I'd be with you on that first point about art house films with cases like the support for Gone Home. The example I gave earlier about what if Roger Ebert was covering a fresh grad's 10 minute short is a bit closer to what I was getting at in that respect.

I'm entirely with you on the devs going completely insane.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Zombiejack posted:

To be fair "has a gay in it" is the only reason gone home even shows up on the radar.
No it isn't and you know it. It could have lesbians making out on top of a rainbow flag emblazoned with JUNE 26 on it and even then that wouldn't be the only reason it shows up on the radar.

I mean it's basically "Only 90s kids will get this" The Game filled with references to The X Files and Street Fighter 2 and Riotgrrl Punk Bands and guess who's right in that age group?

Al Cowens posted:

This is all completely disregarding Asia, which for some strange reason is pigeonholed as white by identity politicians with an agenda.

I mean have you looked at those anime characters they look pretty white to me!! eh
As much as I enjoy making fun of the San Fran/Silicon Valley crowd (and that XOXO FEST is pretty emblematic of it) you know as well as I do how disingenuous this bit of gamergate propaganda is. I mean it turns out that (English language) games journalists are whiter and male-er than the population that plays games as a whole? Who knew? Turns out even real journalism is way whiter and male-er than the general population too! So are those who unironically posted this message on the chans and the twittersphere going to support Offworld? Oh you don't say....

Al Cowens posted:

Closest option. More specifically, Portland/SF/Toronto care crew should stop resorting to asinine tokenism, and condescendingly lecturing actual minorities and calling them house friend of the family uncle toms when they get fed up with their bullshit and having their very existence declared "problematic"

It's not white people, it's that kind of white 'people'
Hey now, Portland and San Fran I understand, but what did Toronto do? :mad:

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

SedanChair posted:

What's my narrative then?

:D

Zombiejack
Jan 16, 2006
Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.

Cardboard Box A posted:

No it isn't and you know it. It could have lesbians making out on top of a rainbow flag emblazoned with JUNE 26 on it and even then that wouldn't be the only reason it shows up on the radar.

I mean it's basically "Only 90s kids will get this" The Game filled with references to The X Files and Street Fighter 2 and Riotgrrl Punk Bands and guess who's right in that age group?

I don't think nostalgia alone would have fueled the critical acclaim it got, the 'insightful' social commentary was certainly what propelled into the public eye. Not in the least because of the gaming press' desperate desire to be taken seriously.
playing it remind me of my own coming out in that it was tedious, awkward and provided some opportunities for passive aggressive homophobia from people I don't care about and simpering hand holding from other people I don't care about.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

But pushing that agenda is 100% good. It doesn't matter if gamers want to see those messages or not, they should be forced to see them, because they are barbarians and need wise, civilizing women academics to restructure their minds to comply with feminism. Everyone should comply with the expectations of feminism.

Man you totally blew it on this one, I was totally buying your persona until this post.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Cardboard Box A posted:

So are those who unironically posted this message on the chans and the twittersphere going to support Offworld? Oh you don't say....

Yes, because those people have such a healthy relationship with Leigh Alexander they would want to see her newest venture succeed. Don't play dumb.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

circ dick soleil posted:

My prediction is that they're going to confuse SPJ with skeleton (one of their trigger words) and it's going to screw the whole thing up, with gamergaters yelling hysterically at the journalists and calling them hamplanets.
Nah they got this covered:

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't think his initial involvement was anything nefarious, but more so "hey remember the Jeff Gertsman thing? You should probably avoid that sort of poo poo happening again."

I do agree with his initial "if Zoe issued a DMCA on a video, it's kind of an abuse of the YouTube DMCA system as the video had no copyright infringement."

He did an hour long discussion with Stephen Totilo (Editor in Chief of Kotaku) on the whole thing, and with Rhianna Pratchett (video game story writer who did the recent Tomb Raider games and some other stuff) on representation in games.

They're nothing groundbreaking but his overall goal was "let's actually have a discussion like civil adults and not call each other names on Twitter", which seems to have worked in some capacity.

Links:

Totillo discussion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmIrWqEUUU
Prathcett discussion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJUHm9v6uOQ
These are good, thanks for reposting them.

Yes I agree and could have been clearer about it, he wasn't being nefarious or sneaky about any of his involvement, I'm just saying he's rather understandably self-interested when it comes to anything to do with "games journalism" as it exists. But it's all rather obvious and he's not trying to hide it.

And yeah the DMCA is an important (if oft forgotten) part of the early 5 Guys/Quinnspiracy, though way back in the Quinnspiracy/proto-Gamergate thread pointed out how easy it was to file bullshit DMCA claims on anyone's video we kind of forgot about it too. As it is all knew was that the Youtube name seen in the MundaneMatt screenshot didn't match Zoe's then Youtube channel but that doesn't prove anything either way.

NightVis posted:

I've always felt that Chu tries to speak in too many online left shibboleths to be appealing. He's trying to give his hot take a lot of the time but comes across like docevil that one time on attack of the show. I talked with someone recently (who's not aware of any of this trashfire) who read his recent Slate piece on shootings. She felt the same way I did, that he was making a decent point, but it was almost like his was writing to impress that small subset of the internet left in the process, which really detracted from what he was doing. He's really playing the game for points and it's pretty distasteful.
I'm not even sure what this means? Did you think he should have called for gun control more? Or pointed out how similar Roof sounded to the Stormfront-Reddit-/pol/ axis?

NightVis posted:

I'd be with you on that first point about art house films with cases like the support for Gone Home. The example I gave earlier about what if Roger Ebert was covering a fresh grad's 10 minute short is a bit closer to what I was getting at in that respect.

I'm entirely with you on the devs going completely insane.
Well the thing is if his major weekly review for the Chicago Sun-Times was a free 10 minute short film on Youtube that would be weird, sure. But he had a blog and he was on twitter and he mentioned lots of small things and short films and even non-movie stuff (like introducing rice cookers to white people) because he was a writer with a lot of time. I think that can be considered comparable to videogame blogsites giving mention to some steam greenlight indie games.

Also, cool, thanks.

Zombiejack posted:

I don't think nostalgia alone would have fueled the critical acclaim it got, the 'insightful' social commentary was certainly what propelled into the public eye. Not in the least because of the gaming press' desperate desire to be taken seriously.
playing it remind me of my own coming out in that it was tedious, awkward and provided some opportunities for passive aggressive homophobia from people I don't care about and simpering hand holding from other people I don't care about.
Oh you mean the gaming press' incourrigible desire to see games accepted as art?

Oh yeah, that definitely played a big role. The biggest.

I just disagree that the "oh yeah your sister is gay" factor totally how it got all that attention (positive and negative) in the first place. It was tailor made to hit nostalgia buttons and pretty clearly designed with a strong ARTGAMES aesthetic, especially in merging the environmental manipulation of Amnesia with the "everyday object" manipulation of, say, Phoenix Wright. This is overall a real small disagreement though.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 27, 2015

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

I'm not even sure what this means? Did you think he should have called for gun control more? Or pointed out how similar Roof sounded to the Stormfront-Reddit-/pol/ axis?

Well the thing is if his major weekly review for the Chicago Sun-Times was a free 10 minute short film on Youtube that would be weird, sure. But he had a blog and he was on twitter and he mentioned lots of small things and short films and even non-movie stuff (like introducing rice cookers to white people) because he was a writer with a lot of time. I think that can be considered comparable to videogame blogsites giving mention to some steam greenlight indie games.

Cool.

The impression the person I mentioned got was that he wrapped salient points in some chunks of rhetoric that made him sound like a twitter madposter.

I'm in disagreement about the DQ coverage. I feel like it's often minimized for the sake of combatting GG's narrative while sacrificing some accuracy. There were features on semimajor publications and it did get top billing in some of those Greenlight roundups. But again, I think it's more a case of unprofessional conduct by people giving their friends a boost than some far-reaching conspiracy. It just has worse optics because of the lack of merit the project itself held.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

murphyslaw posted:

Yeah that game looks wretched. I mean, where's the loving chin? Is that a nose-snout? drat.

Still, Wu's not a valid target for harassment even if she might be some kind of idiot (neither is anyone).

No but she is a good one for Doobie-style mockery or ALoD type page bombing. I mean look at that thing, its wretched. First of all, its not desexualized at all (despite not being sexy in the least its still very clearly wearing some sort of gimp suit and might well have come off sexy if not done in an incredibly unappealing art style) and I honestly can't tell which of the two pictures is the before and which is the after. Like we were told there was improvement but I can't find any.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Cliff Racer posted:

No but she is a good one for Doobie-style mockery or ALoD type page bombing. I mean look at that thing, its wretched. First of all, its not desexualized at all (despite not being sexy in the least its still very clearly wearing some sort of gimp suit and might well have come off sexy if not done in an incredibly unappealing art style) and I honestly can't tell which of the two pictures is the before and which is the after. Like we were told there was improvement but I can't find any.

I mean sure if you want but where's the hilarious trainwreck making it worthwhile? If it's just a bunch of wheezing retards cataloguing her every move ala chris chan back in the day, it's just saddos stalking some weirdo. Which is sad and terrible. Don't touch the poop is what i'm saying, unless you want to smell bad with all that poop on your hands.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Clarste posted:

Indie games are made by small teams of unproven creators, and most of them suck. There's been some effort to promote them lately because some people think indie games are a nifty idea. Sometimes they don't suck, and that's pretty cool.

The vast bulk of industry journalism is still retweeting whatever morsels of information the AAA companies deign to feed us. The primary purpose of this is to generate pre-release hype and encourage preorders before the reviews come in. This isn't a problem at all.

The purpose is the generate clicks. That clicks and preorders correspond is incidental and journalists don't give a gently caress.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dapper Dan posted:

"Well now that I am nearing middle age with a wife and kids in tow, Anime Titwitch 2: More rear end and Titty just doesn't have the same appeal for me that it did when I was 15 and playing Anime Breast Fighters: Extreme in the basement with the door closed..."

I mean we can dress this up as "disagreeing with ideas" like it's an intellectual treatise the reviewer disagreed with the premise of, something like having the resident red diaper baby review Capitalism 2 or whatnot, but sometimes games just aren't going to appeal to everyone for very understandable reasons, and you can't always find your very own Dark_Titzmine.

Or I guess we could say "oh now we're giving all games with breasts lower scores now" and wring our hands over the bonuses being unjustly denied to the Obsidian of Action Games (ok that's pretty accurate actually) by a single metacritic point?

But as you correctly point out the cause of said issue is the contracts developers sign with publishers in the first place so the only reason these people get mad and go after the website itself is because... it's easier to vent their anger on the easily accessible comments section on the review itself rather than impotently rage at the giant multinational videogame publisher I guess? Going after the "easy" target rather than the "real" target appears to be a recurring theme.

NightVis posted:

The impression the person I mentioned got was that he wrapped salient points in some chunks of rhetoric that made him sound like a twitter madposter.

I'm in disagreement about the DQ coverage. I feel like it's often minimized for the sake of combatting GG's narrative while sacrificing some accuracy. There were features on semimajor publications and it did get top billing in some of those Greenlight roundups. But again, I think it's more a case of unprofessional conduct by people giving their friends a boost than some far-reaching conspiracy. It just has worse optics because of the lack of merit the project itself held.
I'm still not sure exactly what rhetoric makes him sound like a twitter madposter or that he's tweeting (I guess?) in his Roof reaction article. He didn't use any rhetoric (that time) that would make him sound like a videogame madposter ("pull aggro") either as far as I could tell.

I think it's minimized when discussing the gamergate narrative specifically because the gamergate allegation was about Grayson and it turned out he mentioned it in a Steam Greenlight roundup and oh he talked about Zoe in some game jam coverage too. Like DQ could have been mentioned at least once on a dozen more videogame blogsites including a bunch that almost no one reads except our theoretical gamergater and that's why they have the impression it has outsized coverage? Yeah sure, absolutely.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

She glassed a trans person, she sexually harassed someone and the indie clique, including phil phish, pressure him into groveling. She pushes skeleton agendas in videogames and in real life with her clique friends that she constantly violates and could never live up to. Ofcourse hypocrisy by itself didn't warrant this shitstorm however the mass bannings, journalist attacking anyone calling them out for pushing her stuff, being found out as having this weird nepotistic group of indie developers doing mafioso style favor trading for press, did. the progressive gamer agenda is both comically large and stupid, and it is good that there is now a group to push back against them.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

"A harassment campaign" of trying to find out the whos and whys this terrible person is being empowered. Oh she's being puffed up by game journalist we always hated that pushed BS social issues? And she hosed them? (lol)

I hope you realize that's what these people who call it a harassment campaign are talking about. digging up info and sometimes laughing over it.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Do you follow videogame journalism at all? for the past 5 years there have been these coordinated pushes on social media combined with journalist articles calling out game developers over social issues stuff. It's mostly feminist issues, since alot of the meat and ideas of what to push come from feminist games academics, but their was racial stuff too. the last ones I remember before gamergate started was the push for female playable characters in assassins creed and another complaining about the lack of black people in kingdom come deliverance. The developer of that game become a pretty big gamergate supporter and I think I know why.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

I am legit disgusted with the goings on of chris chan, but personally if an anonymous collective digs stuff up about you as part of an investigation with a goal in mind, aka connect journalists and friends to collusive corrupt business practices, I feel it is quite forgivable.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

It is a coordinated effort by feminist and a like minded minority group pushing for it. the vast majority of gamers dont want tokenism, and the tricks that social media skeletons use to make them appear bigger than they are deserves to be called out.

But yes I'd like more variety in gaming aswell.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Here's a summary of a meeting between some feminist games academics and some journalist. Their is a video you can watch for personal confirmation this happened. http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/31fio8/happenings_this_is_the_smoking_gun_8ch_summary/cq19u4q

TL:DR feminist games academics talking about using social engineering to try to push their agendas into as many games as possible.

afeelgoodpoop posted:

The most important thing to take away from it is they talk about using "devious" tactics. like fake controversys, slandering everyone who plays games in an attempt to curb whatever it's slandering it over. Real Soviet style poo poo.

Wait wait wait... looking back on your post, I thought it was a great example of the kind of rumors cooked up and the conspiratorial thinking required to tie it all together, sure... but you're serious about all this?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 27, 2015

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Let us English posted:

The purpose is the generate clicks. That clicks and preorders correspond is incidental and journalists don't give a gently caress.

I think there's really two gaming presses in that aspect. If we're talking about stuff like IGN or Gamespot, then Clarste is entirely on point. Outlets like Kotaku/Polygon run clickbait.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

NightVis posted:

I think there's really two gaming presses in that aspect. If we're talking about stuff like IGN or Gamespot, then Clarste is entirely on point. Outlets like Kotaku/Polygon run clickbait.

No he's not. I worked at IGN and was a journalist for five years.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I always love the links Shadoer posts about how political correctness has gone made. Like how Black Students who, upon seeing very prominent KKK imagery in a campus, are somewhat disturbed by it. This is a complete moral failure on their part, of course, since black people don't constantly have to live in fear anymore: This is 2015 and crazy white people have stopped committing racially motivated violence against black people.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

murphyslaw posted:

I mean sure if you want but where's the hilarious trainwreck making it worthwhile? If it's just a bunch of wheezing retards cataloguing her every move ala chris chan back in the day, it's just saddos stalking some weirdo. Which is sad and terrible. Don't touch the poop is what i'm saying, unless you want to smell bad with all that poop on your hands.
To be honest, Brianna Wu is so detached from reality that it's really more sad than funny, but I think making fun of public tweets about how she's a leading light of the gaming industry and an expert Unreal and iOS developer because of her $400,000 PS1 port is fair game.

Interacting directly with her is pretty stupid, though, and stalking or harassing her is obviously as wrong as what people did to chris-chan.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

I'm still not sure exactly what rhetoric makes him sound like a twitter madposter or that he's tweeting (I guess?) in his Roof reaction article. He didn't use any rhetoric (that time) that would make him sound like a videogame madposter ("pull aggro") either as far as I could tell.

I think it's minimized when discussing the gamergate narrative specifically because the gamergate allegation was about Grayson and it turned out he mentioned it in a Steam Greenlight roundup and oh he talked about Zoe in some game jam coverage too. Like DQ could have been mentioned at least once on a dozen more videogame blogsites including a bunch that almost no one reads except our theoretical gamergater and that's why they have the impression it has outsized coverage? Yeah sure, absolutely.

Going again over the article, the only real shibboleth I saw was "toxic masculinity" used in the preface, which has at least in a lot of circles become a term synonymous with Macintosh.The person I mentioned didn't really go over anything specific in the article, but did feel that the overall tone sounded more like a social media rant than a well-crafted opinion piece for a national publication, even though much of what he was saying was correct, which I suppose boils down to a stylistic critique. I think his general tone and style feel crafted to hit a specific "personal brand" for social media, which is a bit of an unfortunate trend these days.

So if opposing gamergate means minimizing the coverage level, and supporting gamergate means blowing it way, way out of proportion, where does "Okay that was definitely a bit much but come the gently caress on you idiots" sit?

Let us English posted:

No he's not. I worked at IGN and was a journalist for five years.

IGN seems a little more interested in passing on press releases and trailers than other outlets who post a lot of outrage-related stuff. One seems a little more inherently clickbait than the other, but what's your perspective?

TheSwizzler fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 27, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Clarste posted:

The incestuous relationship between the media the AAA game industry seems like a much bigger problem to me, given that the journalists are literally being paid to advertise games. And quite frankly, this is totally unavoidable because otherwise the developers would have zero motivation to do all the press releases and review copy stuff that lets game journalists have a job at all. The industry literally exists to be the marketing arm of AAA companies. Yet for some reason they're complaining about one random indie developer who got lucky. As if that somehow matters in the slightest.

Is Quinn even making money off that thing? Did whatever little coverage she got keep her afloat? Oh, apparently it's totally free and her ad earned her literally nothing. To say nothing of the fact that no-names getting popular is essentially random in any industry you care to look at.

They don't want to fix actual corruption. They only want to get rid of "The Jew". The conspiracy theories are a form of self-deception: there's nothing wrong with the system, there's just a malevolent group making it bad for you.

e: but really, why is this still going on.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Exclamation Marx posted:

Private companies are allowed to make decisions based on consumer feedback. That isn't a freedom of speech issue.

What if you live in a plutocracy?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

NightVis posted:

Going again over the article, the only real shibboleth I saw was "toxic masculinity" used in the preface, which has at least in a lot of circles become a term synonymous with Macintosh.The person I mentioned didn't really go over anything specific in the article, but did feel that the overall tone sounded more like a social media rant than a well-crafted opinion piece for a national publication, even though much of what he was saying was correct, which I suppose boils down to a stylistic critique. I think his general tone and style feel crafted to hit a specific "personal brand" for social media, which is a bit of an unfortunate trend these days.

So if opposing gamergate means minimizing the coverage level, and supporting gamergate means blowing it way, way out of proportion, where does "Okay that was definitely a bit much but come the gently caress on you idiots" sit?

So a tone argument?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Obdicut posted:

So a tone argument?

I'm not saying someone doesn't have a point or shouldn't be listened to because they're snippy about it, so, uh, no?

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ddraig posted:

I always love the links Shadoer posts about how political correctness has gone made. Like how Black Students who, upon seeing very prominent KKK imagery in a campus, are somewhat disturbed by it. This is a complete moral failure on their part, of course, since black people don't constantly have to live in fear anymore: This is 2015 and crazy white people have stopped committing racially motivated violence against black people.

Banning symbols because people are offended by them has always worked and never, ever backfired. I mean, just two days ago we finally succeeded in ending racism because now that the racist flag is banned people have stopped being racist, and not at all became more radicalized and insular in their racism. I mean look at europe: nazi imagery is banned in many countries and these countries have no problem with neo-nazis whatsoever (suing them when caught is totally working) and the right wing in places like hungary totally isn't facist now that they can't use the swastika.

I mean I could say that curbing the free speech of your political opponents just makes you look like a repressive shithead and the behavioral conditioning the neo puritans believe in has little to no scietific backing but that'd be just complete nonsense, am I right?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

NightVis posted:

I'm not saying someone doesn't have a point or shouldn't be listened to because they're snippy about it, so, uh, no?

You're saying he said true things but said them in the wrong tone, right?

Totalizator posted:

Banning symbols because people are offended by them has always worked and never, ever backfired.

Nah, but it's been useful in a lot of cases, because it shows mainstream societal disapproval, rather than endorsement, of those symbols.

Also we didn't just ban the confederate flag for gently caress's sake. Was this just dumb hyperbole or do you actually believe this?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Obdicut posted:

You're saying he said true things but said them in the wrong tone, right?

which makes him a hacky writer, but not incorrect.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

NightVis posted:

This comes up a lot but "toxic masculinity" is an academic term that is understandably getting brought up even in non-academic discussions of spree shooters, thanks in part to Anita. Folding ideas made a short video that explains it better in layman's terms:

http://blip.tv/foldablehuman/s4e8-fight-club-7105117

Anyway, it's definitely a 1) hastily-assembled thinkpiece in the wake of a big news national event and 2) Salon dot com post Greenwald. No surprise that something like his disco piece for TheDailyBeast (of all places) that had more time to cook was much better written.

Also I've seen lots of tweets strung together in a storify, including his, and the Salon piece wasn't that choppy.

NightVis posted:

It's still opposing gamergate? I mean you don't have to take things to extremes.

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Yes, because those people have such a healthy relationship with Leigh Alexander they would want to see her newest venture succeed. Don't play dumb.
Yeah, the "Oh you don't say" bit was sarcasm but I didn't convey that well. Sorry. It is indeed obvious why the gamergaters posting that picture to score points and gamergaters in general aren't fans of Offworld.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 27, 2015

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

This comes up a lot but "toxic masculinity" is an academic term that is understandably getting brought up even in non-academic discussions of spree shooters, thanks in part to Anita. Folding ideas made a short video that explains it better in layman's terms:

http://blip.tv/foldablehuman/s4e8-fight-club-7105117

Anyway, it's definitely a 1) hastily-assembled thinkpiece in the wake of a big news national event and 2) Salon dot com post Greenwald. No surprise that something like his disco piece for TheDailyBeast (of all places) that had more time to cook was much better written.

Also I've seen lots of tweets strung together in a storify, including his, and the Salon piece wasn't that choppy.

It's still opposing gamergate? I mean you don't have to take things to extremes.

Yeah I think "Hastily assembled thinkpiece" sums up my thoughts a lot better than whatever graveyard-shift enabled flailing I was getting at there. I felt he did a bit of grandstanding for clicks, which while I understand is the nature of the business these days does rub me the wrong way. The Disco piece was good, even though I don't agree entirely with all his assertations, it was well-researched and did put together a comprehensive picture of the point he was trying to make.

I disagree with you on the "taking things to extremes" side though. From my experience online and off, more often than not you're forced to "pick a side" whole cloth. In this example either DQ was simply mentioned in a list, or they had full banners all over Kotaku. Neither of these are accurate but somewhere within the tribalism this has generated there really isn't much room for accuracy.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Obdicut posted:

Nah, but it's been useful in a lot of cases, because it shows mainstream societal disapproval, rather than endorsement, of those symbols.

What mainstream society approves or disapproves of changes over time. At this point in time banning symbol works in our favor because mainstream society has become tolerant of LGBT, feminist and progressive causes. Russia however thinks the same way you do and recently legislated a ban of homosexual symbolism because of mainstream societal disapproval, which is definitely a real thing there (I live in Poland and let me tell you how many times the rainbow in Warsaw was burned down by nationalists because they consider it a LGBT symbol and disapprove of it). Now you can say that now that America largely embraced Correct Opinions it's time to set them in stone and purge everyone left who doesn't like them from social discourse, but keep in mind nothing is forever, and if conservatives are ever back in full swing you won't even have free speech to fall back on.

This bizarre insistence that social conditioning works is completely contradictory to how the entire human history went down. If it was true, the social revolution of the 60's would never happen (because people were conditioned in the puritan 50's), the victorian era would never end and feminism wouldn't even be a thing, after all overcoming two thousand years of christian conditioning would be freaking IMPOSSIBLE. This idiotic belief that people who disagree with your view are a mass of barbarians who need to have your views forced upon them, rather then human beings who simply disagree with some or all of your opinions based on their experiences, knowledge or personal taste is going to be the downfall of the left. People have the right to tell you to gently caress off and you have the right to say they're idiots for it, but you don't have the right to force your views upon them, just like they don't have the right to force their views upon you.

Totalizator fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 27, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

NightVis posted:

which makes him a hacky writer, but not incorrect.

And so what, I guess is my point? Like, you're massively misusing the word 'shibboleth', does that mean you're a hacky writer?

quote:

I disagree with you on the "taking things to extremes" side though. From my experience online and off, more often than not you're forced to "pick a side" whole cloth. In this example either DQ was simply mentioned in a list, or they had full banners all over Kotaku. Neither of these are accurate but somewhere within the tribalism this has generated there really isn't much room for accuracy.

So is the piece accurate, or inaccurate, mostly?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Totalizator posted:

Banning symbols because people are offended by them has always worked and never, ever backfired. I mean, just two days ago we finally succeeded in ending racism because now that the racist flag is banned people have stopped being racist, and not at all became more radicalized and insular in their racism. I mean look at europe: nazi imagery is banned in many countries and these countries have no problem with neo-nazis whatsoever (suing them when caught is totally working) and the right wing in places like hungary totally isn't facist now that they can't use the swastika.

I mean I could say that curbing the free speech of your political opponents just makes you look like a repressive shithead and the behavioral conditioning the neo puritans believe in has little to no scietific backing but that'd be just complete nonsense, am I right?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the incidences of genocide and crimes against humanity in Germany has massively declined ever since the Nazi party was made illegal. The two may not be linked, but if we're going on pure statistics and not gut instinct then I can categorically state that there has been a statistically significant decline in the number of Jewish, Homosexual, Gypsy, Disabled and other minority people being systemically murdered since the ban went into effect.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Obdicut posted:

And so what, I guess is my point? Like, you're massively misusing the word 'shibboleth', does that mean you're a hacky writer?

Yeah, but I'm not trying to make a living as a writer.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Totalizator posted:

This bizarre insistence that social conditioning works is completely contradictory to how the entire human history went down. If it was true, the social revolution of the 60's would never happen (because people were conditioned in the puritan 50's)

You have no idea what the 50's was like, dude.

edit: Western society still holds significant traces of values the Romans imposed on its citizens. How can you look at the Capitol Building and deny that social conditioning affects history?

Chelb fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 27, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Totalizator posted:

What mainstream society approves or disapproves of changes over time. At this point in time banning symbol works in our favor because mainstream society has become tolerant of LGBT, feminist and progressive causes.

We don't have to choose between 'banning symbols' and 'not banning symbols'. Also, we didn't ban any symbol.

quote:

Russia however thinks the same way you do and recently legislated a ban of homosexual symbolism because of mainstream societal disapproval, which is definitely a real thing there (I live in Poland and let me tell you how many times the rainbow in Warsaw was burned down by nationalists because they consider it a LGBT symbol and disapprove of it). Now you can say that now that America largely embraced Correct Opinions it's time to set them in stone and purge everyone left who doesn't like them from social discourse, but keep in mind nothing is forever, and if conservatives are ever back in full swing you won't even have free speech to fall back on.

We didn't ban the confederate flag, though, so what are you talking about.

quote:

This bizarre insistence that social conditioning works is completely contradictory to how the entire human history went down. If it was true, the social revolution of the 60's would never happen (because people were conditioned in the puritan 50's), the victorian era would never end and feminism wouldn't even be a thing, after all overcoming two thousand years of christian conditioning would be freaking IMPOSSIBLE.

Or maybe social conditioning is a thing but it's not absolutely overwhelming. Makes you think.

quote:

This idiotic belief that people who disagree with your view are a mass of barbarians who need to have your views forced upon them, rather then human beings who simply disagree with some or all of your opinions based on their experiences, knowledge or personal taste is going to be the downfall of the left. People have the right to tell you to gently caress off and you have the right to say they're idiots for it, but you don't have the right to force your views upon them, just like they don't have the right to force your views upon you.

What the gently caress are you talking about. Do you think i'm someone else or something? In what way I'm I forcing my views on anyone? Who is forcing their views on anyone?

NightVis posted:

Yeah, but I'm not trying to make a living as a writer.

Okay, do you get that writing almost incomprehensible posts criticizing writing can get a little meta?

I seriously can't tell what point you've been trying to make, at all. I've read your posts with an open mind and I have no clue what you are trying to say. Could you perhaps restate it as clearly as you can?

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ddraig posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the incidences of genocide and crimes against humanity in Germany has massively declined ever since the Nazi party was made illegal. The two may not be linked, but if we're going on pure statistics and not gut instinct then I can categorically state that there has been a statistically significant decline in the number of Jewish, Homosexual, Gypsy, Disabled and other minority people being systemically murdered since the ban went into effect.

And you think it's the ban that did this, and not widespread global consensus that Nazis were one of the worst movements in human history. Most nations in the world don't have an explicit nazi imagery ban, surely they must be priming their ovens for the new Roma batch as we speak. And when in 20 years Germany decides they're pretty much done with the muslim minority and start a push for opressing them on the state level, surely it will be the ban that will stop them from putting them in camps rather then having historical knowledge of what happened last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Obdicut posted:

Okay, do you get that writing almost incomprehensible posts criticizing writing can get a little meta?

I seriously can't tell what point you've been trying to make, at all. I've read your posts with an open mind and I have no clue what you are trying to say. Could you perhaps restate it as clearly as you can?

Given your responses I've got some serious doubts about your good faith.

• Locked thread