Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

As long as you include Wall Drug as a sprawling fortress, still offering "Free Ice Water!" as the primary draw. And did you like Festus? Well how about a whole band of creepy animatronic cowboys!

And a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diuIXEkXUHs

(6:45 for the Nightmare Cowboys in action)

Finally bethesda's dead-eyed, robotic animations can be put to good use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mokinokaro posted:

It's also possible the intro isn't exactly how things happened and a cryo dream.

It might just be a bug or something, but the "disappearing man" in the trailer certainly seems to have a Vault jumpsuit that looks like the one worn by the main character:

You can see it pretty clearly in this trailer too: http://www.gamersyde.com/download_fallout_4_trailer-34774_en.html

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That is some Zapruder Film poo poo right there.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Turns out the protag is not just any android but you're actually Caprica Six! You'll be encountering pre-War you as it lectures you on all the lovely decisions you've made. If you play as the opposite gender than ghost Baltar lectures you instead. Bethesda is going to totally one-up Obsidian by having Edward James Olmos make a cameo appearance, too.

135 more days of this poo poo folks - I've loved this series since the first game and spent a week searching for a Collector's Edition but god drat I've got better things to do with my spare time than write a dissertation on plots holes or spend all day analyzing a single frame of the the trailer.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Gunna write "you don't play as an android" so I can quote it months later and make a big deal out of being right.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Lotish posted:

If the British don't invade in Fallout 4, I'll be disappointed.

you just know there's gonna be some trite "boston tea party" quest, or something stupid like "collect all X types of teabags", which will quickly be modded to "teabag Todd Howard XXX times"

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

sout posted:

Gunna write "you don't play as an android" so I can quote it months later and make a big deal out of being right.

Of course, you are obviously a Cyborg :smug:
(they put your brain in a robot body.)

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

pmchem posted:

you just know there's gonna be some trite "boston tea party" quest, or something stupid like "collect all X types of teabags"

Yeah there's pretty much no way in hell they don't do this, and it's gonna be really lame.

m3monster
Jan 3, 2009

Lotish posted:

If they set a Fallout game in Texas, they should probably set it in one of our major cities, or set it in the triangle between Austin, Houston and San Antonio but heavily truncate the stuff in between. Package D/FW as an expansion. Maybe make a DLC in someplace like Corpus Christi to visit the USS Lexington or whatever it's Fallout-universe equivalent might be.

You could have an interesting set piece with something like the Houston Tunnel where the surface is so heavily polluted or populated with rapacious horrors that you have to get from building to building completing objectives through the tunnels that link them together. Then you've got places like the Space Center. San Antonio would have the River Walk and the Natural Bridge Caverns, though of course Lackland would probably be the big military site everyone would gravitate to looking for guns.

Can't wait to fight super-coyotes and radioactive wild pigs.

I think that the DFW (totally biased, I live here) could lead to a great game. There are a lot of abandoned cold war military installations outside of the major cities. Also, we have basically a real vault already in Denton. https://www.fema.gov/region-6-federal-regional-center-frc-50th-anniversary
I've been inside of the bunker and it has all of the makings of a sweet Fallout location, It's a multi-level nuclear fallout bunker which was designed to withstand a direct nuclear strike, it even has all the toilets mounted on springs so that they survive the shockwave of a direct impact.(what else do you need? :D) Not to mention until recently it was the Presidents designated retreat bunker in case of nuclear war breaking out while he was in the south.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"

Walrus Pete posted:

Yeah there's pretty much no way in hell they don't do this, and it's gonna be really lame.

The entirety of Fallout 4's plot will a humble craftsman traveling from town to town warning that the enclave are coming.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I noticed when playing Skyrim last weekend that when I play a fighter, I spend most of my time crafting weapons, trying out enchantments, making potions, mining ore and wandering around the continent selling my wares, only occasionally pausing to pick fights with the Silver Hand as the Companions ask me to.

I fully expect to spend most of my time on certain builds in Fallout 4 building a house for my dead family, plopping mannequins in their shape in front of a burned-out TV, and then having a basement filled with tools where I build bizarre guns covered with spikes and laser scopes, and power armor.

The leadership perk thing looks interesting, and in an ideal world it could mean you could build up your own faction instead of joining one and moving up the ranks, but this is their first time doing it, and I'm guessing it isn't very fleshed out yet. Still going to have a blast with it, possibly literally, when I set up a bunch of explosive traps around the perimeter.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ymgve posted:

It might just be a bug or something, but the "disappearing man" in the trailer certainly seems to have a Vault jumpsuit that looks like the one worn by the main character:

You can see it pretty clearly in this trailer too: http://www.gamersyde.com/download_fallout_4_trailer-34774_en.html

Throughout the game, the player will be exposed to split-second visions of things that may or may not actually be there, including copies of himself, his spouse, his baby (crab-walking along the ceiling) and other symbolic imagery, including spinning Vault-Tec Salesman heads, penises, and masturbating Hong Kong Fooeys.

It will be revealed that the player isn't real--none of "this" is real, in fact. The entire experience is just a game that somebody else has meddled with.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Throughout the game, the player will be exposed to split-second visions of things that may or may not actually be there, including copies of himself, his spouse, his baby (crab-walking along the ceiling) and other symbolic imagery, including spinning Vault-Tec Salesman heads, penises, and masturbating Hong Kong Fooeys.

It will be revealed that the player isn't real--none of "this" is real, in fact. The entire experience is just a game that somebody else has meddled with.

We already discussed the Philip K. Dick angle, sheesh, keep up.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It will be revealed that the player isn't real--none of "this" is real, in fact. The entire experience is just a game that somebody else has meddled withmodded.

Then you wake up and it turns out you're actually a double-dicked catgirl with beach ball tits constantly spraying semen out of your dicknipples. The Nexus users were right all along.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

and masturbating Hong Kong Fooeys.

Get out of my brain you hooligan!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You know what would be cool? If the next Fallout was set in the dumb place I live with a bunch of landmarks that nobody else in the world cares about, haha pretty great idea am I right fellas?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Then you wake up and it turns out you're actually a double-dicked catgirl with beach ball tits constantly spraying semen out of your dicknipples. The Nexus users were right all along.

I love that during that Todd Howard interview where they asked which mods he used, he said the ones with additional content and quests were the ones the teams liked, but that they didn't typically deal with ones that changed textures or graphics, which was obvious code for "We don't use the freakish nudie mods."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pwnstar posted:

You know what would be cool? If the next Fallout was set in the dumb place I live with a bunch of landmarks that nobody else in the world cares about, haha pretty great idea am I right fellas?

I'm also really happy its in Boston. :haw:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pwnstar posted:

That would be cool. You could cameo as a ghoul so I can shoot you in the head. It will be awesome.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Bicyclops posted:

I love that during that Todd Howard interview where they asked which mods he used, he said the ones with additional content and quests were the ones the teams liked, but that they didn't typically deal with ones that changed textures or graphics, which was obvious code for "We don't use the freakish nudie mods."

I think it's more that he wants mods to do new things, and replacement textures are one of the most boring things a mod could do.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

If he likes quest mods so much why'd he move to a system where the protagonist is so talkative all non-vanilla quests now take on an air of creepy deathly silence

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

If he likes quest mods so much why'd he move to a system where the protagonist is so talkative all non-vanilla quests now take on an air of creepy deathly silence

Not true, they may have the delightful nasally nerd voice, or deep voiced nerd voice that all quest mods have.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Hasn't this always been a problem with mods for Bethesda games, since NPCs have always been voiced?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ymgve posted:

Hasn't this always been a problem with mods for Bethesda games, since NPCs have always been voiced?

A new NPC can have any voice (usually poor nerd voice acting but still). The player character has a fixed voice in Fallout 4. Do you see the problem here?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
This problem will be solved because midway through the game you will turn out to be a robot and suddenly your voice changes to Stephen Hawking. Creation Kit will support voiced mods through text-to-speech.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ymgve posted:

It's been gradual. In Daggerfall the only people with voices where in cut scenes and a few audio clips of guards yelling "halt!". In Morrowind NPCs had a few intro lines, but the bulk of their dialog was just text, making it really easy to mod in new quests. Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout 3 all have full voice acting, but the protagonist is still unvoiced. That means that modders can create voices for their own NPCs, but can use text for the protagonist. It's harder than Morrowind, but still doable.

Fallout 4 has a voiced protagonist, this means that modders can not create quests that don't break immersion. They can voice their own NPCs, but they don't exactly have access to the same voice actor for the protagonist that Bethesda used.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 27, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

A new NPC can have any voice (usually poor nerd voice acting but still). The player character has a fixed voice in Fallout 4. Do you see the problem here?

Nerdvoice can excitedly re-record all the protag's lines in a separate mod, maybe even change a few of 'em around, so instead of saying "Here, boy!" to the dog, he says stuff like "Special thanks to Gamefaqs, to Sephiroth99 for lending me his microphone, and to Bethesda for making a great game."

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bicyclops posted:

Not true, they may have the delightful nasally nerd voice, or deep voiced nerd voice that all quest mods have.

Isn't Death Grips the most lore friendly voice out there?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In general, there's been extremely few or no mod quests for The Elder Scrolls or Fallout that actually had quality voice actors. They mostly just recruit their friends and family or search for Internet talent (rarely paying enough money to get professional ones), and often have actors doing voices completely out of their range (like a college-age kid trying to imitate an elderly man).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean, of course. What amateur quest developer is actually going to pay for a professional voice actor? That's just absurd!

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Welcome to my mod, in which the player character has become selectively deaf to dialogue due to all the ambient radiation.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Clearly the answer is for the first mod to be a voice synthesizer of the protagonists that other mods can use to fill in their horrific, horrific text with. Also it comes with a dick mod for the robots. I mean really whoever makes it will mostly be making it for the dick mod, and the voice synthesizer will just be the little bit extra.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

If we do play as a robot I'm definitely roleplaying Microsoft Sam.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Don't worry there's a way to keep the current voice and say new things

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Don't forget the teenage boy trying to sound gravelly as gently caress. That's an important one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bicyclops posted:

I'll have you know I also do "growly 'demon' nerd."

m3monster
Jan 3, 2009
I don't know how viable it really is, but they might be able to get around the whole voiced protagonist by implementing a Cortana style text to speech program as a part of the creation kit. It's not perfect, but I have consistently been impressed with how much like Jen Taylor Cortana on Windows 10 sounds. Throw in some sliders which allow you to change the pitch of the words and the spacing between and you could make a solution which is better than most voiced mods anyway.

Edit: Sorry Boogaleeboo, I somehow missed your post until after I posted this.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, of course. What amateur quest developer is actually going to pay for a professional voice actor? That's just absurd!

The word professional is a little misleading, but there are plenty of amateur voice actors out there will either who work for dirt cheap or do work pro bono as a favor. However like Chitoryu12 said, most modders either use people they know personally because it's easier and/or they lack networking skills.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In all seriousness, it'll probably be gotten around the same way that existing Fallout and Elder Scrolls modders get around it: have a silent dialogue file that "plays" during the intended speech with the appropriate animations (likely a lot of generic animations) and expect the player to skip to the next subtitle when they've read it.

quote:

The word professional is a little misleading, but there are plenty of amateur voice actors out there will either who work for dirt cheap or do work pro bono as a favor. However like Chitoryu12 said, most modders either use people they know personally because it's easier and/or they lack networking skills.

Also, a lot of the amateurs who work for dirt cheap or free are liable to be crap. As with just about any other industry or service, you get what you pay for. There's good reason why professional voice actors charge hundreds or thousands of dollars for their time: it's not something a random guy in his bedroom can just take over without unusual amounts of inherent talent.

Typically the only way to get good voice acting for cheap is to luck out and have a professional voice actor as a friend who's willing to give you a cheap rate or do it for free.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There was that mod called "Afterschool Special" for New Vegas, wherein you rebuild the old schoolhouse in Goodsprings for an early house to store your stuff and has quests that take you pretty far out to upgrade the whole building with conveniences.

It featured some decent voice-acting, but I dunno if that was the voicing chops of the mod maker himself or if he actually got help.

The fact remains though, this mod is an outlier and the fact is that there is an incredibly low amount of infrastructure for getting modmakers in contact with voice-providers, which is a problem I see being difficult to solve, if only because voice work costs money unless you are somewhat burning for the project yourself.

• Locked thread