Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

ChetReckless posted:

You could try Very Bad Wizards. It's hosted by a philosophy prof and a psychology prof and they chat about philosophy, focused usually on morality and meaning. The discussion is casual in tone but they do assume a certain level of knowledge about philosophical ideas (you should have an idea of what determinism is, for example) and psychological studies (knowing how studies are done and what significance means would help).

Thanks, just listened through the first one, it's just what I was looking for.

edit: holy poo poo their intro music is annoying though

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm looking for a Podcast where funny and/or interesting people play D&D, Shadowrun or something similar.
Harmontown has their little segments and, while they are funny, they are very short and unfocused.

I'm giving Nerd Poker a try but I'm 30 episodes in and it's not hooking me like I had hoped.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm looking for a Podcast where funny and/or interesting people play D&D, Shadowrun or something similar.
Harmontown has their little segments and, while they are funny, they are very short and unfocused.

I'm giving Nerd Poker a try but I'm 30 episodes in and it's not hooking me like I had hoped.

If you're familiar with the McElroy brothers of My Brother, My Brother, and Me fame they have a podcast where they play D&D with their dad called Adventure Zone. It's quite informal and more about goofs than sticking to the rules.

try it with a lime posted:

Thanks, just listened through the first one, it's just what I was looking for.

edit: holy poo poo their intro music is annoying though

I could be wrong but I believe that Dave (the psychologist host) did the theme song, along with a bunch of the intermission music. There's more where that came from.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 25, 2015

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Couple of friendly acquaintances do a Dungeon World actual-play podcast focused on world-building and characterization that from what I've heard is really interesting and often funny, it's called Friends at the Table. You might be vaguely familiar with StreamFriends--same people.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks for the input, you two. I'm on spotty wifi at work but I'll try one of each, at least :)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Inzombiac posted:

Adventure Zone is the best right now, but Crit Juice is fairly entertaining.

Drunks and Dragons used to be good. :( First hundred or so episodes aren't bad. There is a point where they quit giving a poo poo and you can tell. Avoid the Call of Cthulhu podcast that they do. It is garbage.

I also have stuck with the Black Tapes Podcast and I'm kinda disappointed in the last two episodes. They have launched a kickstarter already too. :(

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I recently started listening to Nujabes (and then found out he died. :smith: ) Could you guys recommend any similar artists?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I still think Drunks and Dragons is real good but yea the Cthulhu one is super not good.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Inzombiac posted:

One Shot Podcast is really good. It has a lot of improv or comedy people coming in to do RPGs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Improv4humans is slaying me so far. Goddamn it :D
Adventure Zone has a lot of charm, for sure. It's cool that their dad sounds genuinely excited to try the game.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Inzombiac posted:

Improv4humans is slaying me so far. Goddamn it :D
Adventure Zone has a lot of charm, for sure. It's cool that their dad sounds genuinely excited to try the game.

Clint is amazing and close to the best part.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Give total party kill a shot? It's by the incomparable network and I think they're >50 episodes deep

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Critical hit from the Major Spoilers site was what I listened to, but I've fallen behind, too many podcasts on my play list.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Started on The Truth, and wow! Almost every episode is phenomenal!

Can You Help Me Find My Mom? really loving hit me. Holy gently caress.

From a little ways back, but yeah The Truth is phenomenal! I've been binge listening to it over the past 2 weeks and I've just been super impressed with the narratives. It's like Twilight Zone but in audio form.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

rotinaj posted:

This podcast is really enjoyable, although the hosts aren't quite as intelligent as I'd like for them to be. I've been skipping around the archive of Last Podcast on the Left, and when they bring up something they've already covered, it's pretty typical for them to say wrong facts or draw wrong conclusions from shoddily remembered stuff, although they probably are just operating off memory of something they last read a year or two ago. So, I'm willing to give the hosts of LPotL more of a pass than Sword and Scale, which covers stuff really thoroughly and does really great episodes(Episode 5 and 6 of S&S, on the Johnny Gosch abduction and the secret pedophilia/child sex slavery ring operating in the midwest was FASCINATING, and one of the coolest podcast experiences I've had to date)... Except he gets so preachy and loud about his personal beliefs that the mentally ill need to DIE DIE DIE all the friggin' time. His most recent two episodes on Joseph McEnroe drove me up the wall, because he'd go from talking so much poo poo about the guy and ragging on him for how much he hated his mom, to ragging on the mom and calling her a bad parent! If you're gonna just rag on everyone involved, I just end up not wanting to listen to the episode. And his massive belief that prosecutors are always the coolest, best, smartest, best sempais that he really wishes would just notice him drives me a little crazy.

So, take Sword and Scale with a massive grain of salt. If you subscribe to beliefs against the death penalty, or believe that the police are flawed, you might end up grinding your teeth as the host bangs on about his own personal politics. I wish he'd stay more impartial, but it seems like this stuff either goes massively liberal and comedic focused, or... Well. Otherwise.

Because of this post I listened to that Johnny Gosch episode of Sword and the Scale. Then I attempted to listen to the Last Podcast on the Left. The episode I chose was coincidentally the Johnny Gosch episode. :haw:

I'm liking the Last Podcast on the Left a lot. Been bingeing through it since. Dunno if I'll listen to more Sword and Scale if it's not just audio from the cases.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I want to hear mystery, suspense, scifi, and horror stories. old time radio or modern stuff. I've found a couple OTR shows:

radio detective story hour
great detectives of old time radio

but don't have complete archives. Any other recommendations?

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

Malloreon posted:

I want to hear mystery, suspense, scifi, and horror stories. old time radio or modern stuff. I've found a couple OTR shows:

http://thetruthpodcast.com/The_Truth.html is like Twilight Zone in audio form, been enjoying it immensely. Really fantastic storytelling with some creepiness/mystery/scifi going on.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

enthe0s posted:

http://thetruthpodcast.com/The_Truth.html is like Twilight Zone in audio form, been enjoying it immensely. Really fantastic storytelling with some creepiness/mystery/scifi going on.

I've listened to all of the truth. It is well produced, but the stories themselves are just OK.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Malloreon posted:

Decoder Ring Theater- mystery and suspense from what I've read. Haven't checked it out yet.
Welcome to Nightvale- everything. This is the cream of the crop of the podcast dramas
Thrilling Adventure Hour- everything, but with a comedy twist. Close runner up to Nightvale.
The Shadow- old mystery show only problem is the stories are not in order on the itunes listing
Inner Sanctum- Old time Horror radio show I think most are on itunes.
We're Alive- Horror and suspense. Zombie podcast that is actually better than most zombie media.
Our Fair City- Everything you listed is in this. Start with the new hour long remastered season 1 then go to season 2 and so on.
Lore- sci-fi/horror stories that are folk lore based.
Black Tapes Podcast- Horror that started good and has kinda sputtered may not finish. :(

There are tons more out there. This should start you on the path of finding them.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Crit Juice. Just, flat out. They're hilarious, they have great chemistry, and the story is super good.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Malloreon posted:

For general sci-fi stuff I've recently discovered The Escape Pod. I've only listened to a few stories so far but the stories and the narrators have been pretty good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sociopastry posted:

Crit Juice. Just, flat out. They're hilarious, they have great chemistry, and the story is super good.

Ooo, thanks.
Adventure Zone is great. The scene where Magic Brian tries to do the "we look the same but which one do you shoot" trope made my sides burst.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Malloreon posted:

I recently became a big fan of The Twilight Histories. It's a rad alternate history time travel podcast where you go somewhere in time or alternate histories and have an adventure. It started out a bit weak, but surprisingly satisfying anyway. I am glad I circled back around to it after giving up on it early. It's got some cool stuff.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Inzombiac posted:

Ooo, thanks.
Adventure Zone is great. The scene where Magic Brian tries to do the "we look the same but which one do you shoot" trope made my sides burst.

Shove it up your magical rear end has become a default insult for casters in my D&D group thanks to AZ.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sociopastry posted:

Just gonna stink up this thread for a second:
I'm starting on episode 001 and it sounds like they are already deep into a story. Should I just roll with it or do they Tarantino this poo poo?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Shove it up your magical rear end has become a default insult for casters in my D&D group thanks to AZ.

My group is playing World of Darkness but one person just got a magic-casting spirit so this is being woven in.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I like informative/historic/sometimes comedic podcasts. The big ones I like are Caustic Soda, Hardcore History, This American Life etc.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Spaced God posted:

I like informative/historic/sometimes comedic podcasts. The big ones I like are Caustic Soda, Hardcore History, This American Life etc.

You'd probably like Sawbones then as well.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Malloreon posted:

Try Theater of the Mind. It used to play on Gainesville Public Radio. Straight up awesome old time radio.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Spaced God posted:

Two informative/historic/comedic podcasts: The Dollop and No Such Thing as a Fish.

The Dollop is two comedians, one reading a story on American History to the other (now with sources). No Such Thing as a Fish has the research crew from quiz show QI sharing unique and interesting facts with one another in a comedic way.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I just got Sirius XM because I am in bush Alaska and cannot stream npr and podcasts and stuff. After climbing a spruce tree to get an antenna pointed *justright* at a notch in the mountains, I got it to work. Hooray!

And then what the gently caress. All talk on Sirius is riddled with ads. Even NPR programs are being chopped up by ads for other channels on Sirius. I was just listening to Obamas live press conference and his answer on Iran getting a nuclear weapon was literally cut off my 90 seconds of Macklemore.

I am not sure what my question is. Maybe is Sirius 100% garbage bullshit? How the gently caress is a $20/mo service full of boner pill ads?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I just got Sirius XM because I am in bush Alaska and cannot stream npr and podcasts and stuff. After climbing a spruce tree to get an antenna pointed *justright* at a notch in the mountains, I got it to work. Hooray!

And then what the gently caress. All talk on Sirius is riddled with ads. Even NPR programs are being chopped up by ads for other channels on Sirius. I was just listening to Obamas live press conference and his answer on Iran getting a nuclear weapon was literally cut off my 90 seconds of Macklemore.

I am not sure what my question is. Maybe is Sirius 100% garbage bullshit? How the gently caress is a $20/mo service full of boner pill ads?

How are you posting on web forums but unable to download podcasts?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good podcasts that are like Last Week Tonight with John Oliver? Something that will inform me on current events and trends, while pointing out the ridiculous and absurd, all wrapped up in a funny package?

Thanks ChetReckless for posting The Dollop. I binged the first four episodes in a row and was laughing my rear end off.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Spaced God posted:

Hi, self! After posting this I discovered The F Plus which is like Caustic Soda but instead of weird history and poo poo it's the worst websites. So anyone with similar tastes as me who likes that kind of stuff would also like that.

Also I'll check out The Dollop, thanks for the recommendation!

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Are there any good podcasts that are like Last Week Tonight with John Oliver? Something that will inform me on current events and trends, while pointing out the ridiculous and absurd, all wrapped up in a funny package?

You could try the podcast John Oliver does with comedian Andy Zaltzman, called The Bugle. Unfortunately due to how busy John is these days it has gone to an every two week release schedule, but on off weeks they put out audio from Andy's Satirist for Hire comedy shows. On The Media will often point out the ridiculous and absurd about current events and is in fact sometimes funny but it is definitely not a comedy podcast. (It is still really good though.)

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Personal anecdote: every person I know that listens to Sirius is either in the bush or 60+ and doesn't know/understand any of the ad free services.

Which leads me to believe that their user base either has to put up with them if they want service or it's so ingrained in their expectations that paid doesn't equal ad free.

The only work around I can give you is to load up on content whenever you are in town (if at all), not sure what to tell you about news other than reading vs listening.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

Inzombiac posted:

My favourite ones right now are:

The Adventure Zone
The Mcelroy brothers from My Brother, My Brother and Me (and a million other podcasts at this point) play D&D 5e with their Dad.

Houses 'n' Humans
People who make cool things on the internet play indie RPGs together. Made by the people who do another D&D podcast called Board With Life Radio They're currently playing Apocalypse World (with Paul Dean from Shut Up and Sit Down and Borderlands 2 writer Anthony Burch) but also did a Dog Eat Dog two parter.

Macdoo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 16, 2015

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Tomato posted:

How are you posting on web forums but unable to download podcasts?

2g cell phone service is all I got, which is a p miraculous thing in and of itself.

Beholderess
Jul 19, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

My current favorite is Critical Hit. Be warned - it currently has 300+ episodes that are 1-2 hours long (granted, not all of them are related to the main campaign). However, it is very, very good, I find myself drawn into it as I would be in any "serious" serial fiction.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Beholderess posted:

My current favorite is Critical Hit. Be warned - it currently has 300+ episodes that are 1-2 hours long (granted, not all of them are related to the main campaign). However, it is very, very good, I find myself drawn into it as I would be in any "serious" serial fiction.

Critical Hit is pretty decent. I like one of those guys other podcasts too, Major Spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Inzombiac posted:

Let's play the thirteenth age, and the whole Six Feats Under family are what got me really interested in tabletop again after like a 2 year break. They've got one long-running campaign that's got 200+ hours of fun plus a bunch of one off games or much shorter campaigns that you can use to dip your toes in, and hey they've also got video sometimes if you're into that sort of thing!