Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Really want to know how those two were picked to package together for a honorary dinner name :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Really want to know how those two were picked to package together for a honorary dinner name :psyduck:

They started the Democratic party.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
alliteration.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

They started the Democratic party.

I was going to argue about Jefferson but I think a much better point is why the post 1960s DNC didn't start pretending it was a whole 'new' party after the civil war.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I was going to argue about Jefferson but I think a much better point is why the post 1960s DNC didn't start pretending it was a whole 'new' party after the civil war.

Name recognition. It's basically the reason the GOP isn't calling themselves the Tea Party this year.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine maintaining some connection to old Founding Fathers is also considered valuable, at least at some level. Even the Communist Party had "Lincoln-Lenin days"!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Everything most Americans know about Jackson is on the $20 bill.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Yeah, the founders of the Democratic party would probably not vote for its current candidates.

I'd like to think the same about the original Republicans, but they did shelter any number of former Know-Nothings among their ranks.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Everything most Americans know about Jackson is on the $20 bill.

And that he chased down an assassin and beat him with a cane.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Because a whole lot of white dems in the south still stuck with the party despite the civil rights realignment.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's not like Woodrow Wilson was much better either.

I guess Grover Cleveland was okay except "welp we own Hawaii now so I guess I can't do anything about it".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Weird they're celebrating Andrew Jackson, when the GOP is the one in tears.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Christie's site is up

https://www.chrischristie.com/

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think we've found the campaign website equivalent of the Myspace angle

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.

So wait, is this a standup special or a presidential run?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Useless Shotgun posted:

You really think there's a difference? :v:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I hope that's his campaign logo. He's such a rebel :swoon:

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
What is the deal with airline industry regulation? They say do this and don't do that and yada yada yada...can't we just get government out of the way so they can just build the planes out of the same material as the black boxes?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

FuriousxGeorge posted:

What is the deal with airline industry regulation? They say do this and don't do that and yada yada yada...can't we just get government out of the way so they can just build the planes out of the same material as the black boxes?

Some Common Sense at last!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Okay, with a slogan like this, he better loving deliver.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

So can we get this embedded into the thread yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

So what's the deal with food? /seinfeld

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Useless Shotgun posted:

Is Lewis Black going to open for him?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Personally I can't wait for Christie to start up some 'straight talking.' Repulsion guaranteed.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Christie soured all of his Sandy goodwill almost immediately. I'm not sure he could even win here in Jersey just two years later.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Useless Shotgun posted:

*Curb Your Enthusiasm theme plays*

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Honest to God, I've thought about it, and what the gently caress does Chris Christie think he brings to the table that none of the other clownshows already in the race bring? Trump's in, so the role of "idiot blowhard" is even taken. What's Christie's niche?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Useless Shotgun posted:

he's a perfect example of fat america

i like it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alter Ego posted:

Honest to God, I've thought about it, and what the gently caress does Chris Christie think he brings to the table that none of the other clownshows already in the race bring? Trump's in, so the role of "idiot blowhard" is even taken. What's Christie's niche?

Attitude.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

I think he's entering to suck up votes (or polling, since neither will make it that far) from Trump in NH. If Christie can bump Trump from #2 in NH to #4 or so, Trump may take his ball and go home. That'll earn him some party favors.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

That's the hosed up thing. The more people that enter the race the more attractive it is to join. Christie's probably thinking" I only need another 15% and I'll be the frontrunner". Its quite possible he'll start heading the pols in the days after his announcement.

Dont forget, a 5% chance of winning the primary is huge. If you had 5% chance of winning the lottery you'd be pretty excited right?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

All important feeder demographic.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Alter Ego posted:

Moxie :iamafag:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

They're different kinds of idiot blowhards. Trump bangs his silver spoon on the table and shouts racist slurs and says "I started many a successful business, you jelly?" whereas Christie has more of an incompetent mob boss thing for him.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Aliquid posted:

I think he's entering to suck up votes (or polling, since neither will make it that far) from Trump in NH. If Christie can bump Trump from #2 in NH to #4 or so, Trump may take his ball and go home. That'll earn him some party favors.

I think you're overestimating the organization of the GOP and the extent to which major politicians would make decisions about their own careers for some nebulous long-term gain with the party.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Christie/Trump

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Well poo poo, Ted Cruz better catch up and get his gratuitous eagle glamour shot ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Trump Place, Manhattan: you're fired!

• Locked thread