Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anatharon posted:

Genuine question, what's the deal with starbound? I got it for free and tried to launch it, it didn't work and I never bothered trying to figure out how to fix it but apparently it's really awful???

Combat's really bad and there's no reason to build anything since you'll be moving on to another planet shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Genuine question, what's the deal with starbound? I got it for free and tried to launch it, it didn't work and I never bothered trying to figure out how to fix it but apparently it's really awful???

It seems to be permanently, heavily in development.

That isn't really a judgment on it being good or bad, just that they're constantly changing poo poo and it doesn't seem to have any sort of organized plan, which makes it really lovely as a player or a mod developer.

For me personally a lot of the changes they've made range from 'baffling' to 'I don't give a poo poo' to 'that sounds kind of stupid', and the few times I've tried to play it I didn't have much fun, so :shrug:

Waiting for 1.3 is what I'm saying.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Unrelated is there any automated defence things yet so I don't have to hunt down stupid worms 30 hours in?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Potential BFF posted:

I can see where he's coming from with that decision, really I'd just like some different melee weapons with lifesteal, maybe an autoswing sword or something.

I think lifesteal should be the sole province of melee weapons(real melee weapons, not "melee" weapons that shoot like the vamp knives) and it should be quite powerful. Somebody who is willing to commit to actual melee combat should be rewarded in a big way because right now the incentive to actually hit stuff with a sword once you reach the Wall of Flesh and beyond drops off the face of the earth since ranged/magic is infinitely easier, safer, more versatile, and far, far more damaging.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I'm pretty sure Red's said more than once that ranged weapons not having lifesteal is by design. While he might have changed his mind since then, he made it clear he didn't want ranged weapons to have lifesteal.

I can understand that seeing as Ranged weapons have some of the highest damage and most buffs, especially now that the Tsunami exists, but they're probably the riskiest option for taking on more recent bosses, especially since potion sickness for 60 seconds is still a thing. I guess a heartreach potion can help mitigate this if you keep moving and there's enough little things to kill, but Ranged isn't my first option when I decide to take on one of the Moon events.

Maybe if there's an accessory or potion that gives lifesteal it'll help diversify end-game options.

Edit: I guess one of the other things is some items were designed with multiplayer in mind but most people solo, so some of this could be easier if more than 1 person is taking on these bosses. 1.3 mentioned better steam integration and multiplayer changes I think so hopefully it's easier to play with other people.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 27, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Anatharon posted:

It is a bad game by staggeringly incompetent developers.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Anatharon posted:

The game has almost no meaningful gameplay variety, and it's grindy.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Isn't Terraria basically just some world-to-world teleporters away from killing Starbound's main gimmick to be the strictly better game?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anatharon posted:

It's unfinished and early access instead of leaked early like Terraria was.

Also, it has the Crossfit disease where people who played and didn't have fun with it can't stop posting about how bad a game it is and how much it sucks.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jetz0r posted:

Isn't Terraria basically just some world-to-world teleporters away from killing Starbound's main gimmick to be the strictly better game?

What I'm getting from this is that we should be able to build spaceships in Terraria and go to the moon/other planets. I would be OK with this.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

It's unfinished and early access instead of leaked early like Terraria was.

Also, it has the Crossfit disease where people who played and didn't have fun with it can't stop posting about how bad a game it is and how much it sucks.

Starbound has been in a weird amorphous fetal state for a really long time so even the most optimistic fanboys have long since soured on it. They took like a year-long break from any major updates to their early access game to move their studio and it basically destroyed their hype train and turned a lot of people on the fence against them, especially when their update after all that time was something of a half-baked wet fart.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
But going to other planets in Terraria is as simple as quitting to the menu and loading a different world? :confused:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My primary issue with Starbound has always been the combat end. My optimism left after in the thread claims "We're going to make the weapon energy mechanics more forgiving!", and two days later they announce that if you shoot your gun or use your dash tech "too much", your energy regen locks and you have to wait through a cooldown period.

I'm sure if some Terraria dev said in this thread they were making some grindy aspect easier, and then two days later announced "If you find a one of those grindy things, you go on a cooldown period before you can get more!" instead, it wouldn't be considered a nice thing.

Plus they also nerfed grappling hooks. They used to have cool bungee physics that let you launch yourself hundreds of feet vertically from basically a cold start, but were energy hogs. However they were useful and fun enough that I was able to traverse asteroid fields despite my lack of flight/teleport techs. Last I was played, they made them drain less energy!... And the bungee physics can barely swing yourself up top of an overhang with a pair of them if you fight for it, and it has a tendency to not attach if you are moving too fast or too far for it's liking. Like they replaced rubber bands for string.

Etc. There are still a lot of very cool things in Starbound, but even those of us who don't hate the game have been very burnt out by design decisions along those lines, and losing track of how often they announce they are reinventing combat.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 27, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Anatharon posted:

Genuine question, what's the deal with starbound?

It bad

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Imagine if Terraria had two kinds of enemy, flying and not-flying, and there was only ever one on the screen at the same time, and that they both die in one hit, and that you die in two hits.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Section Z posted:

My primary issue with Starbound has always been the combat end. My optimism left after in the thread claims "We're going to make the weapon energy mechanics more forgiving!", and two days later they announce that if you shoot your gun or use your dash tech "too much", your energy regen locks and you have to wait through a cooldown period.

I'm sure if some Terraria dev said in this thread they were making some grindy aspect easier, and then two days later announced "If you find a one of those grindy things, you go on a cooldown period before you can get more!" instead, it wouldn't be considered a nice thing.

Plus they also nerfed grappling hooks. They used to have cool bungee physics that let you launch yourself hundreds of feet vertically from basically a cold start, but were energy hogs. However they were useful and fun enough that I was able to traverse asteroid fields despite my lack of flight/teleport techs. Last I was played, they made them drain less energy!... And the bungee physics can barely swing yourself up top of an overhang with a pair of them if you fight for it, and it has a tendency to not attach if you are moving too fast or too far for it's liking. Like they replaced rubber bands for string.

Etc. There are still a lot of very cool things in Starbound, but even those of us who don't hate the game have been very burnt out by design decisions along those lines, and losing track of how often they announce they are reinventing combat.

This is about the long and short of it. A tiny part of me knows they're slowly working to pull their heads out of their asses, but the rest of me knows they've probably missed that window by a couple of years. They also seem to be married to the Minecraft concept of "balance."
And yet, I still can't seem to quit hoping.

Mzbundifund posted:

they both die in one hit, and that you die in two hits.

You've got that backwards.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

Imagine if Terraria had two kinds of enemy, flying and not-flying, and there was only ever one on the screen at the same time, and that they both die in one hit, and that you die in two hits.

But if your gear is even slightly behind they die in thirty hits and they kill you thrice over every hit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

But if your gear is even slightly behind they die in thirty hits and they kill you thrice over every hit.

Yeah, Terraria gear progression is "Now I can fly around and shoot gigantic waves of exploding arrows and conjure fireballs and throw huge spreads of lifesteal knives" and Starbound gear progression is "Well now that I have the most up to date armor possible I can survive two hits instead of dying in one".

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Kanos posted:

Yeah, Terraria gear progression is "Now I can fly around and shoot gigantic waves of exploding arrows and conjure fireballs and throw huge spreads of lifesteal knives" and Starbound gear progression is "Well now that I have the most up to date armor possible I can survive two hits instead of dying in one".

also a regular metal sword and wood shield for some reason

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=23531

This is more or less what the OP for 1.3 is gonna look like. Thoughts?

I desperately need new images. Especially multiplayer shenanigans.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

DoubleNegative posted:

Off-site Screenshot test poster posted:

Do not play singleplayer Terraria on a Large world!

It is designed for multiplayer experiences. Seriously, just use Medium or Small.

gently caress you I'll play on Large by myself all day most days. :mad:

If it's like last time I played on a goon sever we'll need a super large map to accommodate everyone. Weren't enough Heart Crystals to go around.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I kinda want to jump in to the PC version for 1.3. I got this game for free on Xbox thanks to Games with Gold but I've done most everything in it by now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

after a stint of playing modded minecraft i'm curious as to why terraria hasn't had alternate dimensions added already. i'm sure it would be less of a pain to implement than poo poo like the nether/whatever in minecraft and could open up a lot of possibilities.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

after a stint of playing modded minecraft i'm curious as to why terraria hasn't had alternate dimensions added already. i'm sure it would be less of a pain to implement than poo poo like the nether/whatever in minecraft and could open up a lot of possibilities.
Probably becuase the Nether is not added by a mod, so mods can use the code about it to make other alternate dimensions, while Terraria has nothing like that to hook into.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

More pictures of giant structures and towns and stuff please.

I've always played this with my friends as an exploration/progression/fighting game, so we invariably end up living in some dirt hovel with russian style efficiencies as our only comforts.

Seeing giant penises sword towns and trees and stuff is rad, even if I'll never have the patience or insanity to craft one myself.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zereth posted:

Probably becuase the Nether is not added by a mod, so mods can use the code about it to make other alternate dimensions, while Terraria has nothing like that to hook into.

i mean, a good part of me was wondering why redigit hadn't looked into it yet, honestly.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

DoubleNegative posted:

Should mention that you only get the corruption OR the crimson when your talking about the worldgen, and mention floaty grosses drop vitamins in that image.

Mzbundifund posted:

I was hoping for just a more slowly paced but higher decision combat experience instead of how you are constantly swarmed and harassed by enemies at all times in Terraria and at night in Minecraft. Like something more akin to Hyrule field.
Starbound is really a big fat nothing. There were some nice ideas in the interface and the ideas for the races are novel but the gameplay and features don't really have anything interesting.

It's unfortunate that it got so much hype from dumbasses who were hoping for clearly impossible things that were never stated by anyone, like being able to control ecosystems by transporting animals or building and fighting in the starships or having some kind of interplanetary trade or whatever. They've probably moved on to Star Citizen for all their imaginary gaming needs.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This isn't the loving Starbound thread. Keeping up with one thread of people talking about how bad Starbound is all day long is plenty.

Does anyone know what time the last update came? I'm wondering if we'll get a midnight release or this will be like 2 PM on the 30th.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Acne Rain posted:

It's unfortunate that it got so much hype from dumbasses who were hoping for clearly impossible things that were never stated by anyone, like being able to control ecosystems by transporting animals or building and fighting in the starships or having some kind of interplanetary trade or whatever. They've probably moved on to Star Citizen for all their imaginary gaming needs.

So basically they wanted Spore? :v:

I happen to like Starbound. I also like hearing informed and informative critiques of the game that logically state what's gone wrong with their development process. But poo poo like this:
Just contributes to the endless Ferris wheel of self-congratulatory shitposting slowly rolling into the sea of farts.

But Terraria. Probably gonna play again for a few days, maybe on a server if someone makes one for the thread. Then just leave it again for ages and ages because I burnt myself out on Terraria-likes and I honestly don't enjoy the bullet-hell bosses (and their counterpart the wave fight that culminates in a dozen bullet-hell bosses at once).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DoubleNegative posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=311897718

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

DoubleNegative posted:

Should probably update the information about biome keys.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i wish they'd spend even a little bit of time on world gen. being able to specify if we want one of or both sets of ores and biomes would be nice

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Acne Rain posted:

chucklefish literally said that there would be ship combat and interplanetary trade hth

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

chucklefish literally said that there would be ship combat and interplanetary trade hth

Just play a round of FTL between planets, jeez people this isn't rocket science!

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Vib Rib posted:

This isn't the loving Starbound thread. Keeping up with one thread of people talking about how bad Starbound is all day long is plenty.

Does anyone know what time the last update came? I'm wondering if we'll get a midnight release or this will be like 2 PM on the 30th.

look the only thing terraria needs from that awful game is the ability to load .abc files in so you can terrorize your mates all day with pissass midi bardsongs while they're trying to dig

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Can I get an invite to the steam group?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Mordekai/

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Dareon posted:

Just contributes to the endless Ferris wheel of self-congratulatory shitposting slowly rolling into the sea of farts.

I am giggling so loving hard at this. :allears: Thanks.

My offering to the screenshot lord:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That's actually a pretty nice building aside from the cockbone

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

Not surprising, but I didn't remember that.
At the very least that would make travel between worlds have some kind of point.

Dareon posted:

So basically they wanted Spore? :v:

which offered a similar number of unfulfilled promises.

quote:

But Terraria. Probably gonna play again for a few days, maybe on a server if someone makes one for the thread. Then just leave it again for ages and ages because I burnt myself out on Terraria-likes and I honestly don't enjoy the bullet-hell bosses (and their counterpart the wave fight that culminates in a dozen bullet-hell bosses at once).

I'm actually playing a little early game to prep for the update. Made a new world and character, and I'm going through the early game except for the flesh wall to re-aquaint myself with the game, also so that when I generate a new world I'll be able to bring in that character and start getting into new territory earlier.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Verviticus posted:

i wish they'd spend even a little bit of time on world gen. being able to specify if we want one of or both sets of ores and biomes would be nice

There's really no reason why a world shouldn't have both Corruption and Crimson, since it generates in two places on both sides of your start. One could be corruption, one could be crimson, and if the two meet it could be some kind of awesome nightmare ultimate evil biome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Oh btw:
What's the easiest way to disable post-hardmode hallow/evil biome spreading.
Because I don't want to dig giant trenchs in singleplayer to keep my jungle and stuff.

• Locked thread