Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Interesting stuff! Looking forward in hearing the River stuff, especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

She has pictures of all his faces, but I don't think she ever said she saw them all personally.

Is there any evidence she knows about War?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

qntm posted:

I did not have temporal relations with that woman!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tomtrek posted:

Big Finish just announced a whole bunch of new series related content:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/bf27june

That's... quite a lot! Mixing old Doctors with new series enemies is really interesting. It seems like they're basically being allowed to play with anything that isn't a new series Doctor at this point.

Holy gently caress.

I love you, Nicholas Briggs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

qntm posted:

No reason why not.

We'd better get John Hurt into the studio at some point.

EDIT. Oh poo poo. They've got Barrowman for the Torchwood stuff, now we have River.. The River and Jack show can happen! How much smug can you fit onto a cd?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm actually in a foul mood over the Churchill Years thing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DoctorWhat posted:

Hopefully they'll cover his experiments into alternative fighter navigation.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ9WyYbZj_8

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I fear there is a limit to how much River Song even the most enthusiastic fan can take and Big Finish risks hurtling across that line at a thousand miles per hour with not a care in the world.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Holy gently caress this is everything I ever wanted from Big Finish, I love River and Eight is my favourite doctor.

Jsor posted:

Didn't River say she went and met all of his prior incarnations anyway? I recall some line where she said she met all of them, but did something to make them forget about it.

(E: Of course, this directly contradicts her telling 10 that his eyes are "the youngest she's ever seen them" but I swear I remember this)

This is from the "River Song's Diary" collectible thing in that terrible PS3 game they released that stars River and Eleven. There's a page in it about her going and meeting all his incarnations and writing little comments about them and mentioning that she was using some alien gas or something to make him forget. And yes it does contradict the show although I guess you could argue that she's lying to him. She doesn't go and meet Ten in that page about her meeting all the previous doctors so maybe she knew that he was Ten when he first met her and that when she met him as Ten that was meant to be their first meeting?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

River's diary was probably the best thing about that terrible, terrible game. I especially enjoyed the page about meeting the 1st Doctor, where she's trying to be discreet and ends up getting chased down the street by him waving his cane and yelling at her to mind her own business and stay away from him :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dabir posted:

I fear there is a limit to how much River Song even the most enthusiastic fan can take and Big Finish risks hurtling across that line at a thousand miles per hour with not a care in the world.

On the other hand, it's Big Finish writing for her, and I think they can tone her down a bit. I mean, look at Sixie . . .

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I kind of want a 6/River story where it's nothing but them trying to out-smug each other. Done right, it'd probably be funny.

I give it a year before we have a full-on 10th Doctor story, Tennant and all. Hopefully with Donna as his companion.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tomtrek posted:

Big Finish just announced a whole bunch of new series related content:

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/bf27june

That's... quite a lot! Mixing old Doctors with new series enemies is really interesting. It seems like they're basically being allowed to play with anything that isn't a new series Doctor at this point.

I don't even like River Song, or Churchill that much, but this is great news! Just inching closer and closer to the possibility of New Who Doctor full audioplays. :allears:
Just them even being allowed to play in the New series sandpit is pretty great!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I haven't been this happy since the end of Earthshock!

What a great way for Big Finish to expand their portfolio and range. There is so much ground to tap in the new series, even without the actual Doctor (9, 10, 11, 12) himself, and I have absolutely no doubt BF will be up to the task.

DoctorWhat posted:

Let me guess - you're concerned that BF will retcon or get rid of the first time the Doctor and Churchill met in the novel Players?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I assume that now that they have the ability to use both characters and both actors have agreed to voice things for them, the next thing they'll announce is the River Song/Jack Harkness series I've been waiting for them to make for years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

I haven't been this happy since the end of Earthshock!

I'm curious whether you were happy because Adric was dead or because "Earthshock" was over.

Bit of both, I'll wager.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I can't imagine the Weeping Angels being very good in audio form, though.

I feel like this could be amazing if done right, but it'll be very difficult for them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

CobiWann posted:

Let me guess - you're concerned that BF will retcon or get rid of the first time the Doctor and Churchill met in the novel Players?

Nope. I'm with Jack Graham on this one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I am a bit worried about River showing up, as her character seemed to get less interesting and more MacGuffin-y in every apperance, but the concept itself is sound and I've very excited in general.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would bet money at this point that they have the rights to do nine stories and haven't convinced Eccleston to sign up. Dan Starkey has also been hinting a lot and I would actually bet money they've got something in the works related to the Paternoster Gang. This is all really fantastic news, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Companion Chronicle or something with Rose before the end of 2016.

The River stuff all depends on execution, of course, so there will probably be some great stories and some terrible stories, but it will be soooo worth it for the great stories. Of course she's starting with Eight, because the Doctor has to forget about her before meeting her in Silence in the Library, and what's one more bout of memory erasure for Eight. :haw:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

With the exception of the Cromwell story, Big Finish is a bit better about not whitewashing historical figures, though. There are hints even in the TV episode that his friendly, Uncle Brittanica routine is all a facade to try to get access to some of the Doctor's technology and become a real tyrant, which, if they introduce a team working for him similar to the way people in stuff like Dalek War work for their superiors, could be interesting.

I won't hold my breath for that, but you never know.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bicyclops posted:

I would bet money at this point that they have the rights to do nine stories and haven't convinced Eccleston to sign up. Dan Starkey has also been hinting a lot and I would actually bet money they've got something in the works related to the Paternoster Gang. This is all really fantastic news, and I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Companion Chronicle or something with Rose before the end of 2016.

The River stuff all depends on execution, of course, so there will probably be some great stories and some terrible stories, but it will be soooo worth it for the great stories. Of course she's starting with Eight, because the Doctor has to forget about her before meeting her in Silence in the Library, and what's one more bout of memory erasure for Eight. :haw:

You probably already know this, being a Cool and Good Big Finish listener, but Dan Starkey's already been in a couple of stories - I think the latest one was Dark Eyes IV - as a variety of Sontarans (not just oafish Straxalikes, either). So he's already well involved in the audio scene.

Dan Starkey is the Nick Briggs of Sontarans, basically, and so long as he doesn't wind up feeling typecast, that's pretty cool.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

You probably already know this, being a Cool and Good Big Finish listener, but Dan Starkey's already been in a couple of stories - I think the latest one was Dark Eyes IV - as a variety of Sontarans (not just oafish Straxalikes, either). So he's already well involved in the audio scene.

Dan Starkey is the Nick Briggs of Sontarans, basically, and so long as he doesn't wind up feeling typecast, that's pretty cool.

Well, he did get to branch out and play that elf. :)

I think he really is in love with the role of Strax and all of his Sontaran clone-kin, though, and Big Finish is the kind of platform that may even give him the opportunity to do some writing.

Big Finish is slowly blending the classic series and New Who together and making a bunch of interesting cocktails, and I look forward to trying them all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hopefully they'll get Christopher Ryan back for the Sontarans too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally finishing up the Capaldi season and on Dark Water and man Clara went from actually quite likeable to a total awful maniac insanely quickly. If I was the Doctor I would have taken her to an actual volcano and booted her in. That was OTT even for grief-mania.

Overall though I really enjoy this season, the best since 5 easily

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bown posted:

Finally finishing up the Capaldi season and on Dark Water and man Clara went from actually quite likeable to a total awful maniac insanely quickly. If I was the Doctor I would have taken her to an actual volcano and booted her in. That was OTT even for grief-mania.

Make sure you watch the Christmas special, it kinda deals with that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Will do!

Also I'm about 85% certain Occ will give the forest episode an F entirely based on the whole screed against mentally ill children taking their tablets, even ignoring the fact it's a pretty poor episode overall.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bown posted:

Will do!

Also I'm about 85% certain Occ will give the forest episode an F entirely based on the whole screed against mentally ill children taking their tablets, even ignoring the fact it's a pretty poor episode overall.

If he gives it anything more than an F for any reasons that aren't ironic, we'll have to just salt and burn the entire experiment.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

If he gives it anything more than an F for any reasons that aren't ironic, we'll have to just salt and burn the entire experiment.

It will be self-immolating at that point. Even if he takes a pretty long break, he's going to be drat close to being caught up by the time we get there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nerdy asthma UNIT girl is being set up as a future companion in the finale because they thought Coleman was leaving at the time, right

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Not... quite, no.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
WHAT THE gently caress

drat I totally fell for that. I didn't think I'd like the finale as much as the middle episodes but this is fun so far. Missy is probably my favourite of Moffat's smug and/or villainous female characters.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Her earlier build-up was bit lacking, but she really steals the show in the finale.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bown posted:

Nerdy asthma UNIT girl is being set up as a future companion in the finale because they thought Coleman was leaving at the time, right

Bown posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

:lol: I love Doctor Who.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
And now my watch has begun...

...with Robot.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CobiWann posted:

And now my watch has begun...

...with Robot.

Robot is fun. Not great, but I like it. Tom's first season is one of my favorites.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
With all the new posts, I thought someone had died. Nope, good news! And my thread title remains accurate.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
"Robot" is awesome because Benton has a genuinely useful idea and is just SO drat HAPPY ABOUT IT.

Also, "there is just one teeny weeny little thing".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Robot is fun. Not great, but I like it. Tom's first season is one of my favorites.

Baker, Pertwee and Smith all have really great first seasons. Which doctor has the worst do you think? It's probably Colin isn't it? Even if you charitably ignore Twin Dilemma as the back end of a Davison season. I would say McCoy but I think Paradise Towers saves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bown posted:

Yeah I agree, the first half of Deep Breath had me genuinely concerned, but by the back half of that episode I was relieved. Then the season (with the exception of Forest of the Dead and Doctor Who and the Space Spiders) turned out to be very good with a bunch of good to exceptional episodes and some absolutely stand out moments. The reveal of who Missy was is handled incredibly, and Capaldi and Gomez just loving knock it out of the park with their performances.

:allears:

• Locked thread