Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Burkion posted:

The movie you're thinking of was Commando where Arnie stole a rocket launcher and a bunch of machine guns from a gun store that had a secret military surplus thing in the back for some dumb amazing reason.

It's not impossible. Some people get an FFL and become a dealer in order to collect restricted things like DD's [destructive devices, ie explosives/rocket lanchers/grenades], its dumb that they can only sell to other FFL's and the government but it's a thing.

You'll see guys who legally own post 1985 machine guns, because they are dealers, may never end up selling their inventory but what do they care, they got a cool gun. Given the cost of the collection at that level becoming a dealer is relatively cheap.

As for pre-ban NFA weapons, You can go into a store and buy a machine gun today, but it'll be a grandfathered pre 1985 gun with all the associated federal paperwork. It'll also cost $25,000+. Not a huge market. Buy a vietnam era M16 for $25-30,000 with select fire or go buy a Ar-15 clone for $500 that is semi-auto. The cost is so high because it's a regulated NFA item, the public can buy it but has to jump through a lot of hoops to obtain it.

You'll also see machine guns and poo poo for sale for the law enforcement market as well [they'll be in the LEO cabinet].

So given the movie is set in the 80's, I don't find it implausible at all.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

"Dating" 'The Terminator' seems silly when it's literally meant to take place at a particular point in time (May 12th, 1984).

Point taken. I'm probably using "date" more as "oh, that's different than what they do now" instead of "this breaks my immersion by no longer relating to current events".

Big K of Justice posted:

As for pre-ban NFA weapons, You can go into a store and buy a machine gun today, but it'll be a grandfathered pre 1985 gun with all the associated federal paperwork. It'll also cost $25,000+. Not a huge market. Buy a vietnam era M16 for $25-30,000 with select fire or go buy a Ar-15 clone for $500 that is semi-auto. The cost is so high because it's a regulated NFA item, the public can buy it but has to jump through a lot of hoops to obtain it.

You'll also see machine guns and poo poo for sale for the law enforcement market as well [they'll be in the LEO cabinet].

So given the movie is set in the 80's, I don't find it implausible at all.

Yeah, I forget that movie came out before the 1986 ban. It makes sense since the cops seem more interested in Arnold than in this giant stash of guns.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Dunno if it's legit or not, but the Wikipedia page for Genisys has a very extensive plot synopsis for the movie if people are looking to spoil themselves silly.
It's legit, missing certain details but it's legit.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Big K of Justice posted:

It's not impossible. Some people get an FFL and become a dealer in order to collect restricted things like DD's [destructive devices, ie explosives/rocket lanchers/grenades], its dumb that they can only sell to other FFL's and the government but it's a thing.

You'll see guys who legally own post 1985 machine guns, because they are dealers, may never end up selling their inventory but what do they care, they got a cool gun. Given the cost of the collection at that level becoming a dealer is relatively cheap.

This makes arms dealers sound eerily like antiquarian booksellers, who hate nothing as much as customers getting their dirty paws on those precious books.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Young Freud posted:

Point taken. I'm probably using "date" more as "oh, that's different than what they do now" instead of "this breaks my immersion by no longer relating to current events".

Yeah, I forget that movie came out before the 1986 ban. It makes sense since the cops seem more interested in Arnold than in this giant stash of guns.

Fun fact: 'The Terminator' has a super mild anachronism in the dialogue early in the movie: when Kyle asks the cop at gunpoint what the date is, the cop says "12th, May, Thursday". May 12th wasn't a Thursday, and I know this because I was born on Friday, May 11th, 1984. :v:

Cameron scripted the date incorrectly by accident, because he was writing the script in 1983 when May 12th did fall on a Thursday.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

This makes arms dealers sound eerily like antiquarian booksellers, who hate nothing as much as customers getting their dirty paws on those precious books.

It's largely the vagaries of the ATF, since any FFL collector will likely eventually sell a gun to either an authorized consumer (military or LEO) or another FFL. The whole point of the license is really so they can demonstrate the gun to potential sellers, but it's a loophole so that if you're rich enough (FFL is something like a $3,000 for the initial application, then $1,000 a year), you can go out and shoot the state-of-the-art bang-bang at 600 to 1000 rpm.

There's people who don't have FFLs that own machine guns from prior to the ban, but those guns can't be transferred, so once that person dies or the major parts wear out on that gun, it's pretty much going to be destroyed or demilled. I've seen a video of a gun putting his aging M60 through one final blaze of glory by running a belt of 10,000 rounds through it to the point the barrel turns white hot and there's a second muzzle flash popping out of the gas system because he couldn't replace major parts of the gun, so it came down to "gently caress it, let's push this fucker to the breaking point".

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 27, 2015

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

japtor posted:

It's legit, missing certain details but it's legit.

Why doesn't Skynet kill them while it apparently has Sarah and Reese following it while they're in the parking garage?

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah that was the point, probably should've included that. In other news,

Firstborn posted:

Arnold loving owns.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
With all the negative reviews coming out, Skydance Productions CEO David Ellison & Dana Goldberg "insist" that James Cameron Wasn’t Paid A Cent To Endorse ‘Terminator Genisys’. :laffo:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Immortan posted:

With all the negative reviews coming out, Skydance Productions CEO David Ellison & Dana Goldberg "insist" that James Cameron Wasn’t Paid A Cent To Endorse ‘Terminator Genisys’. :laffo:

You know, now that I think about it, this is actually way worse than if he just took some cash :(

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Burkion posted:

The movie you're thinking of was Commando where Arnie stole a rocket launcher and a bunch of machine guns from a gun store that had a secret military surplus thing in the back for some dumb amazing reason.

It's because Commando is one of the finest satires ever made. It's such a good one that tons of people don't even realise it's a satire. It's pretty consistent with a good chunk of Arnie's career.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Satire of what? Commando is super sincere.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

It's because Commando is one of the finest satires ever made. It's such a good one that tons of people don't even realise it's a satire. It's pretty consistent with a good chunk of Arnie's career.

It's not satire you nerd. It's a sweet action movie about a man with big muscles.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

quote:

"Remember, Sully? When I promised to kill you last?"

"That's right, Matrix! You did!""

"I LIED."

If you don't like Commando, you should go see a doctor.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Pycckuu posted:

It's not satire you nerd. It's a sweet action movie about a man with big muscles.

This, and it also has one of the most incredible openings of any R-rated 80's action film: Arnold and a 13 year old Alyssa Milano feeding woodland animals; Arnold carrying huge logs on his shoulder, and then cooking breakfast while laughing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Gonz posted:

"Benny, you should let off some steam! AHAHAHA!"

I probably butchered that, but goddamn if you don't love Commando get the gently caress out :magical:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

WarLocke posted:

"Benny, you should let off some steam! AHAHAHA!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsfv_nThumI

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Spakstik posted:

Why doesn't Skynet kill them while it apparently has Sarah and Reese following it while they're in the parking garage?
Uh, I believe that's related to one of the missing details, the "nanomachine replication of John" isn't a replication per say in the sense of normal terminators, it is John, memories, personality, and all...just compromised by account of being turned into a terminator by nanomachines controlled by Skynet, obviously! I forget if it's explicitly mentioned, but basically taking over humans gets them that last missing human element to truly blend in. It works better than I'm making it sound here (I liked the movie after all), but there's a certain suspension of disbelief needed, in this movie series about robots being sent back from the future to kill us. It's like that basketball ep in Futurama, "Ladies and gentlemen, something very strange has just occurred in this basketball match between space clowns and atomic monsters."

Anyway since it's John, you get into the whole time travel paradox poo poo. And if they're all dead Skynet should be fine right? No! Maybe? Who knows! I don't know. :psyboom:...there's another little/big detail related to John being there that the wiki entry left out.

They play a lot with the idea of time travel loving things up. And of course there's enough questions left over to answer in sequels.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I don't expect that Genesis to be as good as T1 or T4, but it'll probably be about on par with the other two. There's no reason to get worked up over a percentage.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I love how Arnold says one-liners for himself. Like in Predator he throws a knife at the dude and is all "stick around!", and in that particular part none of his buddies are around him, and even the guy he is killing probably doesn't speak english. It'd be lovely to die to someone saying a one liner, and it's somehow even better/worse if it's in another language than your own.

I'm reminded how on Commando, Arnold looks at the flight stew and says, "leave me friend alone, he's dead tired", and it occurs to me what happens when that plane lands? Well, they discover a dead dude. Could've been some crazy accident or overdose or something, except that flight stewardess will remember the guy smirking saying the line. He could've just not said anything and slipped off the plane and maybe they'd think it was him and maybe they wouldn't.

I love Arnold movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Arnold is the greatest movie star in the history of film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Satire of what? Commando is super sincere.

Sincerity is what makes satire work.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I love that we've been talking about Commando and The Terminator more than the new Terminator film that just came out yesterday. It tells us how honestly we're enthused by it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Young Freud posted:

I love that we've been talking about Commando and The Terminator more than the new Terminator film that just came out yesterday. It tells us how honestly we're enthused by it.

Genisys isn't out here in the states until Thursday night. :(

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Young Freud posted:

It comes out July 1st (In the US at least)

Edit: Are there any legal avenues for streaming TSCC?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Young Freud posted:

Gonz posted:

Where do you live?

Parachute posted:

Edit: Are there any legal avenues for streaming TSCC?

It's on Amazon Prime for $15 per season.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 28, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Well gently caress. I misread Box Office Mojo; thought it said the 3rd.

Herp derp.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gonz posted:

Haha, I really have been living under a rock. I've thought it had been released yet with all the word about the reviews and sneak previews being horrible.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Haha, I really have been living under a rock. I've thought it had been released yet with all the word about the reviews and sneak previews being horrible.

It's okay, I goofed up. It's actually out Tuesday night.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Young Freud posted:

I saw it at an early screening yesterday, and I thought someone mentioned it's out earlier in other countries but I didn't check on that. There's not that many critic reviews, RT has 10 and IMDB has 4 (both about 40%), while the reader reviews are averaging out to about 4/5 and 7/10 on them for now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gonz posted:

This, and it also has one of the most incredible openings of any R-rated 80's action film: Arnold and a 13 year old Alyssa Milano feeding woodland animals; Arnold carrying huge logs on his shoulder, and then cooking breakfast while laughing.

Also telling his daughter over breakfast how Boy George would have been considered subversive where he comes from. I love that part because Arnold just drops that line and it hangs over the breakfast table like a dark cloud while they both go back to eating their pancakes or whatever like it's a perfectly normal thing to say.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Also telling his daughter over breakfast how Boy George would have been considered subversive where he comes from. I love that part because Arnold just drops that line and it hangs over the breakfast table like a dark cloud while they both go back to eating their pancakes or whatever like it's a perfectly normal thing to say.

It wasn't just that Boy George would be subversive in his home country, it's that he was agreeing with them.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Don't forget how the theme music goes from high energy steel drums to what sounds like something from a Legend of Zelda game, and then back again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwhcJiTfYA4

RIP James Horner :(

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe2Agl3bJAc

I wish the movie were like this

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Young Freud posted:

Speaking of Commando and The Terminator, I love that T3 also has a scene where Arnold offroads a vehicle down a wooded hill.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gonz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inTRblYTevk

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Commando is a movie about two estranged lovers, Bennet and Matrix. Matrix left Bennet for a woman and the latter never understood why. Bennet grew angry over the years, sent goons after Matrix to convert him back to the gay life. Matrix entertained the idea, he even penetrated one black rear end in a top hat but these were all short flings. His repressed feelings exploded during the final confrontation. The saxophone solo underlined steam room sex scene is the last time Matrix tangles with Bennet, brings him to explosive orgasm but at the end he finally decides to go back to the hetero lifestyle, with a new ladyfriend. As he says to the uniformed daddy in the last scene when asked if he'll ever go back "No chance".

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Gonz posted:

If you don't like Commando, you should get to da choppa.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rhyno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZAfoPeJm-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

It all makes sense when you know the story behind him.

http://youtu.be/p0NvlH0FfmA

• Locked thread