Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've had a 435 on my hands today and I have to say, that for a low-end windows phone and for the price, is a fantastic device if you want a mp3 player and gps for running. The size and how it feels at hand is fantastic too. The only reason to get a 532 is if you want to get a better camera for 23ish more euros. Is weird to see small phones nowadays aside from people that own an iPhone 5 but hell, I'd go with a 640XL right now for normal use and a 435 with my secondary SIM just for running and mp3 playing.

Edit: well, yes the 532 has a quad core wich is an improvement over the dual core of the 435, making it even a better option.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Does the 925 work on AT&T? Also, would it be better to pick up a 640XL?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

loquacius posted:

Noted, also tried using compressed air to clean out the noise-cancellation mic so I can actually use the phone normally without headphones again and that didn't work either. I'll give this a shot :tipshat:
I hope it works! I think I need a tiny, powerful vacuum head for my earpiece because somehow dust moved into the front-facing camera through there. Makes the image quality worse than it already is.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Does the 925 work on AT&T? Also, would it be better to pick up a 640XL?

I have used AT&T phones on T-mobile, for what that's worth. I would have considered the 640 except I found the cheap 925's and I'm perfectly happy using an older generation phone.

On another subject -- I couldn't find an app for controlling screen brightness but just in case I missed something -- are there any? The 925 screen is really bright, even Low is too bright indoors, but Auto is way too dark most of the time. Low burns my retinas, Auto goes so dark I can't see the screen (I'm old, give me a break). Three settings is kind of ridiculous.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's a thing I miss from android, most, if not all phones come with a brightness slider so, if you don't like auto, you can still adjust it with some more precision. There are also apps that throw a filter on your screen if you like to read stuff with no ambient light and so.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

wormil posted:

On another subject -- I couldn't find an app for controlling screen brightness but just in case I missed something -- are there any?

On my Lumia635 the app I use Settings > Extras > Display to do this. Goes so dim the screen just looks off in daytime. I believe this app is specific to Nokia though.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Updated my 1020 to the newest Windows 10 build (still fails on my 1520, goes to the gears and then boot loops :(). The newest build works far better than the last one. It still has plenty of issues, but now it's more usable. Especially when deploying apps.

Anyway, that means I can show some of the new stuff in the Awful app.

Thread tabs exist! Well, they did in the last version too, but they were only used when navigating between threads from within a thread. Now it has been expanded to any thread in the system. Just hold down on a thread or, when in a thread, open the command bar and save it.

You can then hit the tab menu button and see the tabs

Note that it can't show unread post numbers and the like, because there is no way to get updated thread information for specific threads (you can only really do it when parsing the thread lists, not by making individual calls). But it's still useful if you're hopping between threads.

I also added draft support when making replies. Now when you make a reply in a thread, you can save the draft of what you were writing (or it will save automatically when you back out of the reply screen). This way you can bounce between threads (say, via tabs :v:), and copy and paste stuff for your replies. This is on a per thread basis, so each thread can have a different draft.

Also ignore the brown status bar on top. I think this build is doing stuff with what happens when you set colors to it, because every time I set it to Awful Blue, it goes to this poo poo brown. Yet in another app I have when I set it to green, it changes it to a slightly different shade of it. It still works right on the desktop and it worked right on the last build, so I'm guessing it's build related. :shrug:. I am working on theme support so it will have dark and light themes across the app, and maybe forum specific ones too (not just for threads, but for the entire app. We'll see.)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I used the 10 preview on a 635 just fine. I think yours is an isolated case. You didn't really think your experience was indicative of the actual preview did you?

Isolated indeed. I went ahead and fully reset the phone and it's 99% better. Still kind of janky, but that's the deal with the 635. Not enough RAM or horsepower for smoothness. Lots of lags and delays (camera takes ~7 seconds to show the viewfinder, etc).

The new build is surprisingly stable, but issues remain (dev preview - so not out of the ordinary).

I do hope the official 10 update doesn't take 5 hours to complete. gently caress that noise hard. The average consumer will smash their phone against a wall, thinking it's broken during the update.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, I had build 10149 installed. It worked for like a day or 1.5, suddenly some background process decided to gently caress up and keep eating battery. It persists through reboots and all. Back to 8.1 I guess.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Is there any word on when windows 10 for phones will be available (not as a preview)? Its not happening at the same time as windows 10 for PCs is it?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

Is there any word on when windows 10 for phones will be available (not as a preview)? Its not happening at the same time as windows 10 for PCs is it?

Not when the PC builds drop, no. Maybe by the end of the year?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I ask because I can't risk running what from what I've heard is still a pretty buggy OS (Win 10 preview) but I'm keen to have access to the windows 10 forum app you've created. Your current 8.1 app started misbehaving a month or so ago when you released a few updates for it - it crashes every 5 mins or so now.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

I ask because I can't risk running what from what I've heard is still a pretty buggy OS (Win 10 preview) but I'm keen to have access to the windows 10 forum app you've created. Your current 8.1 app started misbehaving a month or so ago when you released a few updates for it - it crashes every 5 mins or so now.

No it's not? Not saying App Insights might not be catching every exception or crash, but I'm not seeing anything. Make sure you're actually up to date.

Also you can't use the 10 app anyway, even if you wanted to. Right now there is no way to deploy app packages to the phone, so I can't make something that everyone could use. You would have to compile and deploy the app yourself via Visual Studio.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Drastic Actions posted:

No it's not? Not saying App Insights might not be catching every exception or crash, but I'm not seeing anything. Make sure you're actually up to date.

Maybe not showing crashes because people getting crashes aren't using the app. On my 521 it crashes every 5-10 minutes or more often in DIY forums so I had to use the old abandoned app. On my 925 your app hasn't crashed yet and looks better so now I'm using it again.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wormil posted:

Maybe not showing crashes because people getting crashes aren't using the app. On my 521 it crashes every 5-10 minutes or more often in DIY forums so I had to use the old abandoned app. On my 925 your app hasn't crashed yet and looks better so now I'm using it again.

That's not how it works. If you get a crash, it should be sending the exception and dump up to me. So if it's not, then either the person is on an old version that does not have AppInsights installed (so I won't see the exception), or the crash is not getting picked up by it (Which is really bad, because that's why I hooked it up in the first place). I have it running on a 521, 1020 and 1520 and ran it for an hour each and didn't have a crash.

Right now 356 people have downloaded the Windows Phone 8.1 version. There are about 100 unique daily users of this app. Of those people, the people who use the app the most are those on the 635, followed by the 920 and 1020.

EDIT: Again I need to say, just because I can't reproduce something does not mean it's not happening. I need to figure out why because there are no reproducible steps... :shrug:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 27, 2015

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

wormil posted:

It USED to crash quite dreadful, but since the latest and last update it works like a dream. Update it, or uninstall and reinstall.

Drastic, does it just give you numbers, or user info too?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

It USED to crash quite dreadful, but since the latest and last update it works like a dream. Update it, or uninstall and reinstall.

Drastic, does it just give you numbers, or user info too?

The funny thing is, when it did crash a ton, it was almost always the same crash. Unlike the iOS and Android versions, which usually have a bunch of small bugs, I tend to make bugs that just make the app break for everyone. Which is arguably worse.

Now as for the info I get: I know what model phones people use (as in, the raw value, like "rm-820"), a rough idea of where sessions are taking place (like, in the US, the UK, and so on), and if and when there is a crash. Also I know what pages people are going to the most, and what functions people are using the most.

I don't know phone numbers or other user specific info, and although I "technically" could send SA Usernames up to the service by using custom events, I don't. I know the Android app has similar kinds of analytic stuff that has an opt-in for usernames, so I might do that if you want me to check for specific crashes. But right now, it does not.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Drastic Actions posted:

The funny thing is, when it did crash a ton, it was almost always the same crash. Unlike the iOS and Android versions, which usually have a bunch of small bugs, I tend to make bugs that just make the app break for everyone. Which is arguably worse.

Now as for the info I get: I know what model phones people use (as in, the raw value, like "rm-820"), a rough idea of where sessions are taking place (like, in the US, the UK, and so on), and if and when there is a crash. Also I know what pages people are going to the most, and what functions people are using the most.

I don't know phone numbers or other user specific info, and although I "technically" could send SA Usernames up to the service by using custom events, I don't. I know the Android app has similar kinds of analytic stuff that has an opt-in for usernames, so I might do that if you want me to check for specific crashes. But right now, it does not.

Thanks for that, that's quite interesting.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

I'm using a 930 in Australia if that helps narrow it down. How can I tell if I'm on the latest version? I don't have any notifications of a new update.

I experience crashes (get dumped back onto the start screen), seemingly at random at least once every 10-20 mins or so. The following things have led to a crash (but none of them consistently triggers a crash):

1. Launching the app
2. Navigating to a thread from the bookmarks page
3. Not doing anything for several minutes while a thread is loaded - for eg not scrolling for a few minutes because I've paused reading to talk to someone around me
4. Misc crashing at random

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Uninstall/reinstall it or update it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Drastic Actions posted:

Also you can't use the 10 app anyway, even if you wanted to. Right now there is no way to deploy app packages to the phone, so I can't make something that everyone could use. You would have to compile and deploy the app yourself via Visual Studio.

How much is App Insights? I've got google analytics hooked up for Harmony Music which is free and works pretty well, even though it can't always get the device name right and wishes you were an android app. Also, does it automatically track unhandled exceptions in background tasks? Can it track page funnels?

E: n/m found the pricing page. Interesting.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 27, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Factor Mystic posted:

How much is App Insights? I've got google analytics hooked up for Harmony Music which is free and works pretty well, even though it can't always get the device name right and wishes you were an android app. Also, does it automatically track unhandled exceptions in background tasks? Can it track page funnels?

E: n/m found the pricing page. Interesting.

It's through Azure. I use my free Azure MSDN credit for it. I don't think it's actually charged anything to it though, or if it has it's very little. I don't know about background tasks, since I turned them off in the 8.1 version (they are technically back in 10, but I'm still not sure it's useful) so I can't speak for that. You can view individual user sessions though and see their page flow (IE, you open bookmarks, then a thread, then new reply, back to thread, back to bookmarks...) and see an overview of which pages are being hit the most, and for how long.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Still considering picking up a 640 XL as a placeholder phone until new flagships come out. Has there been a wireless charging case released for it? I can't find one and I use wireless charging on my 920 all the time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
just picked up a band for 135$. I love this little thing so far!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Drastic Actions posted:

That's not how it works. If you get a crash, it should be sending the exception and dump up to me. So if it's not, then either the person is on an old version that does not have AppInsights installed (so I won't see the exception), or the crash is not getting picked up by it (Which is really bad, because that's why I hooked it up in the first place). I have it running on a 521, 1020 and 1520 and ran it for an hour each and didn't have a crash.

Right now 356 people have downloaded the Windows Phone 8.1 version. There are about 100 unique daily users of this app. Of those people, the people who use the app the most are those on the 635, followed by the 920 and 1020.

EDIT: Again I need to say, just because I can't reproduce something does not mean it's not happening. I need to figure out why because there are no reproducible steps... :shrug:

I'm not trying to tell you how it works, I'm telling you how it is behaving. I've reinstalled plenty of times. This crashing thing is not new, it's been happening since I first installed it. I brought it up before but you got defensive so I dropped the matter and went back to the old app. I don't bring it up to embarrass you but because I thought you might be interested. I wont bring it up again.

Edit the 521 just crashed, check your app

wormil fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 28, 2015

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I have weather set as my lock screen. I have spent the past week in Seattle and my phone shows every little neighborhood I might be in. However, back home in Los Angeles, everywhere is Los Angeles. My actual home (Van Nuys) has much different weather than Los Angeles. :argh:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wormil posted:

I'm not trying to tell you how it works, I'm telling you how it is behaving. I've reinstalled plenty of times. This crashing thing is not new, it's been happening since I first installed it. I brought it up before but you got defensive so I dropped the matter and went back to the old app. I don't bring it up to embarrass you but because I thought you might be interested. I wont bring it up again.

Edit the 521 just crashed, check your app

:rolleyes: I am fine with you telling me. I am trying to do my best to fix these issues. But when they don't appear in any crash reports and I can't reproduce them, it's really hard. I'm not trying to be defensive (if that was the case, I would not bother with updates), I'm trying to figure out what's going on. It's really frustrating when I can't fix an issue any of you have.

And again, I have the 521. No crash. But it could be any number of things you're seeing. Like a memory leak within the browser view causing it to close. That's not a "crash", so it might not be getting sent to app insights. There could be other apps running causing issues with mine. I don't know. But trust me when I say I want to help out.

And embarrassed? I'm not embarrassed when I'm shown a bug (to be expected in any software project to some extent). I'm embarrassed when I can't fix it. The end user suffers, and that's lame.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

:rolleyes: I am fine with you telling me. I am trying to do my best to fix these issues. But when they don't appear in any crash reports and I can't reproduce them, it's really hard. I'm not trying to be defensive (if that was the case, I would not bother with updates), I'm trying to figure out what's going on. It's really frustrating when I can't fix an issue any of you have.

And again, I have the 521. No crash. But it could be any number of things you're seeing. Like a memory leak within the browser view causing it to close. That's not a "crash", so it might not be getting sent to app insights. There could be other apps running causing issues with mine. I don't know. But trust me when I say I want to help out.

And embarrassed? I'm not embarrassed when I'm shown a bug (to be expected in any software project to some extent). I'm embarrassed when I can't fix it. The end user suffers, and that's lame.

Today I did the following:

1. Uninstalled
2. rebooted phone
3. reinstalled.

I'll see if I continue to experience my crashes.

clandestine cactus
Feb 5, 2009

Hot Rope Guy

Drastic Actions posted:

In this post, Drastic Actions shows what every software developer thinks about fixing issues in their software.

The internet has become a strange, strange place over the past 20 years...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Drastic Actions posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so harsh. I can contribute a little more information, it usually crashes (or closes, whatever) within about 10 minutes. Today it took about 20+, the difference is that I uninstalled many apps, removed the sim card, and I have battery saver on all the time. Now if I open the app and just leave it, it doesn't crash, I've left the app open overnight and it was still running in the morning. It seems to crash sooner in picture heavy threads. Hopefully that helps.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

wormil posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so harsh. I can contribute a little more information, it usually crashes (or closes, whatever) within about 10 minutes. Today it took about 20+, the difference is that I uninstalled many apps, removed the sim card, and I have battery saver on all the time. Now if I open the app and just leave it, it doesn't crash, I've left the app open overnight and it was still running in the morning. It seems to crash sooner in picture heavy threads. Hopefully that helps.

Yes that doesn't sound as much as a crash, but more like the OS preemptively killing the app because it's using too much memory. Large pictures = large memory usage, and on the small devices you can easily hit the allowed memory usage threshold. Then you just get killed, "oh that must be a runaway app, better shut it off before it's too late".

The only way I can think of to fix that is to either do sub-pagination, i.e. showing 20, 10, 5 or even just 1 post per page. Or have images loaded and unloaded on demand. The latter would be the only real option for the heaviest GIF dumps and screenshot LP posts.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

nielsm posted:

Yes that doesn't sound as much as a crash, but more like the OS preemptively killing the app because it's using too much memory.

Possibly but Lord Bude is experiencing a similar problem on his 930 and it wouldn't explain why the old app, Awful, almost never crashes. But Awful Reader has been completely solid on my 925. I've run into this before on Windows phone where I have two apps that do the same thing but one is problematic while the other is rock solid. I tend to be that guy who has an obscure problem that the developer can't replicate or diagnose.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I t certainly closes on image heavy threads, on this 635. Other things close too though, it's just this thing being low mem.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

clandestine cactus posted:

In this post, Drastic Actions shows what every software developer thinks about fixing issues in their software.

Hahahahah you've never worked in large organization enterprise software. There are no bugs and if there are blame someone else, probably an unrelated vendor. "oh yeah it's probably that last patch to your email system that's loving it up"

I don't miss that industry.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

I can't roll my eyes enough at this (if I'm understanding this correctly). I'm not trying to passing the buck off saying "Hey, not my issue! :downs:". I'm trying to say "I caused this issue, I can't figure out why it's happening, and I feel like poo poo that I can't figure it out." I want to fix it, but I had no idea where to start, because everything I put in place to help me find bugs (which did help tons, as my last few releases showed) didn't catch anything.

When I said "memory leak" I meant something like the image issue mentioned above. That makes sense, considering the other SA apps on other platforms have that issue too. I need to spend more time in different threads in different parts of the forum more often and see if that's causing it. When I can't fix an issue, I feel like poo poo. I want this to be a drat good app, and if people can't use it, then I hosed up.

clandestine cactus
Feb 5, 2009

Hot Rope Guy

Drastic Actions posted:

I can't roll my eyes enough at this (if I'm understanding this correctly). I'm not trying to passing the buck off saying "Hey, not my issue! :downs:". I'm trying to say "I caused this issue, I can't figure out why it's happening, and I feel like poo poo that I can't figure it out." I want to fix it, but I had no idea where to start, because everything I put in place to help me find bugs (which did help tons, as my last few releases showed) didn't catch anything.

When I said "memory leak" I meant something like the image issue mentioned above. That makes sense, considering the other SA apps on other platforms have that issue too. I need to spend more time in different threads in different parts of the forum more often and see if that's causing it. When I can't fix an issue, I feel like poo poo. I want this to be a drat good app, and if people can't use it, then I hosed up.

I was on your side bro :)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

I was on your side bro :)

Oh okay. I thought that at first, but then I saw the post above and I misinterpreted it after the fact. My apologies :tipshat:

For anyone else, I wanted to be very clear where I stand.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

As a data point, I'm on an ATT 920, running the Band preview OS. I was seeing a lot of crashes at completely random times. After seeing your post about zero crashes in App Insights, I deleted and reinstalled. Zero crashes since then!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm on the latest version and the app still crashes a bunch for me too. Mine's a 640, crashed just now. I'll try a reinstall now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Does anyone have any trip reports on the new 10149 build that apparently came out on Thursday? Sounds like it's noticeably more usable?