Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Bort Bortles posted:

Some people like mages too, but Radovid hates them, therefore official decree to out all the mages, herbalists, and alchemists. The average populace is scared of the unknown and mages are often mysterious and do strange things so it is probably not hard to turn opinion against them.

Yeah, it's the same reason why, as soon as the Mages quit town, they turn back to persecuting non-humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

10 Beers posted:

As much as I love this game, I really, REALLY wish that there were notifications on vendors to let you know which schematics and recipes you already own.

I'm pretty confident you cannot buy recipes you already have, are you sure duplicates show up?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

10 Beers posted:

As much as I love this game, I really, REALLY wish that there were notifications on vendors to let you know which schematics and recipes you already own.

I really wish that when you're at a Herbalist and select a herb/flower to buy, the game would show you how many you already have.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Pellisworth posted:

I'm pretty confident you cannot buy recipes you already have, are you sure duplicates show up?

I don't think I've ever seen duplicate crafting recipes on vendors, but I've definitely bought copies of treasure maps I already had :argh:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Is there some way to choose what alcohol is consumed to refill potions? I swear to god whenever I see alcholest, I pick it up but whenever I go to craft a new recipe I don't have any.

Maybe I'm misreading what I'm picking up, I'm just worried if I start crafting White Gull, which looks expensive, I'm going to waste it refilling potions.

Also, where do I get superior alchemy recipes? I did the quest with the Druid alchemy master (the ending of which I saw coming a mile away. :)) but he didn't have all the recipes, just some. I want Superior Swallow and Superior Thunderbolt. :(

Am I just going to have to hope they pop up in "?" locations? I'm level 22 now, what level do they start popping up? I'm holding off on "?" in Skellge, partially due to burnout but also because I made the mistake in Velen and over levelled and wasted a ton of potentially good loot.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Snuffman posted:

Am I just going to have to hope they pop up in "?" locations? I'm level 22 now, what level do they start popping up? I'm holding off on "?" in Skellge, partially due to burnout but also because I made the mistake in Velen and over levelled and wasted a ton of potentially good loot.

Herbalist near Oxenfurt may have them, or one in Novigrad next to canal where you dive for Triss's bag.
Potions and bombs are for sale, aside from superior northern wind I think. Superior oil recipes are only in chests randomly.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Pellisworth posted:

Maybe I should really, really wish I knew what I was talking about. :(

I'll double check next time I play.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pyromancer posted:

Herbalist near Oxenfurt may have them, or one in Novigrad next to canal where you dive for Triss's bag.
Potions and bombs are for sale, aside from superior northern wind I think. Superior oil recipes are only in chests randomly.
I never found Superior Northern Wind and it was my favorite bomb :(

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I really wish you could get a Wild Hunt armor set. Geralt rode with them, after all.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Kind of annoying how all the NPCs seem to only say variations of "get the gently caress away from me" when you "talk" to them. Although I have to admit, I did like "Did you say something? Or did you just fart?" from Witcher 2.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

10 Beers posted:

Maybe I should really, really wish I knew what I was talking about. :(

I'll double check next time I play.

As was mentioned the treasure and Skellige fast-travel maps will still show up even after you've used them, so that's slightly annoying.

But I'm pretty sure you won't get duplicate diagrams, alchemy recipes either from random loot or vendor inventories. Once you know the recipe it's removed from the loot and merchant inventory tables.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Just finished the game and I never got any chance to kill Radovid. My quest log was empty; did I take a wrong turn somewhere? The last time I saw Djikstra was when I broke his leg again.

Edit: I finished the Thaler quest with the cocksucking shoes, and never got another quest after.

P.S.: amazing game. The next open world RPG has huge shoes to fill.

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 27, 2015

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Snuffman posted:

Also, where do I get superior alchemy recipes? I did the quest with the Druid alchemy master (the ending of which I saw coming a mile away. :)) but he didn't have all the recipes, just some. I want Superior Swallow and Superior Thunderbolt. :(

The superior alchemy recipes are level-bound also from merchants, i.e. merchants will only start offering them when you're high enough level.

Is there any guaranteed way in the game to get all alchemy recipes? In my playthrough I was missing one oil and two bombs, got all the potions though. I didn't explore all question marks but I did do the alchemy quest etc and revisited all the merchants later, still was missing those few.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Han Nehi posted:

The last time I saw Djikstra was when I broke his leg again.

Pretty sure this is why

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Han Nehi posted:

Just finished the game and I never got any chance to kill Radovid. My quest log was empty; did I take a wrong turn somewhere? The last time I saw Djikstra was when I broke his leg again.

Edit: I finished the Thaler quest with the cocksucking shoes, and never got another quest after.

P.S.: amazing game. The next open world RPG has huge shoes to fill.

Your choice regarding Dijkstra locks you out of that quest regarding your first spoiler. I imagine not finishing your third spoiler makes the whole thing a no go anyway though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Han Nehi posted:

Yeah, if you "shove him forcefully" aka break his leg :stare: that's the end of the assassination quest line. You gotta be nicer to him in that scene.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Stop switching your swords mid-combat, Geralt! You can just stab those dudes with the same sword you used on that monster! :smith:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Is there a good place to get red mutagens early on? I've put 40 hours into the game mainly side-questing in Novigrad and I've only come across three of them.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

nickmeister posted:

Is there a good place to get red mutagens early on? I've put 40 hours into the game mainly side-questing in Novigrad and I've only come across three of them.

Drowners from Skellige started dropping them for me. Outside of that the occasional Alghoul on the mainland

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

nickmeister posted:

If you only want the mutagen for the attack bonus, you can instead go to Dragon Slayer's Grotto in Velen and kill the low-level Wyvern that circles over the area for its Wyvern mutagen. You'll be lead to the area by a scavenger hunt anyway.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
After patch 1.05, I'm now only getting 5 XP points for every quest, main and side. Wonderful. (PS4)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Metanaut posted:

After patch 1.05, I'm now only getting 5 XP points for every quest, main and side. Wonderful. (PS4)

Are their recommended levels grey?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Metanaut posted:

I'm on XBone, but I noticed that as well. I just assumed that it was because I'm level 24 and I'm tidying up my quest log with quests around levels 7-14.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

10 Beers posted:

I'm on XBone, but I noticed that as well. I just assumed that it was because I'm level 24 and I'm tidying up my quest log with quests around levels 7-14.
If you do a quest that is grey in your questlog you only get 5 xp. A quest turns grey if it's recommended level is more than 5 levels below your current level.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Gather round, good tavern folk, and let me tell you the tale of Geralt of Rivia, famed witcher, who sought his lover of yore in White Orchard, and awaking from a nightmare and dispatching a pack of ghouls with nary a scratch, was promptly kicked to death by his friend Vesemir's horse

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

10 Beers posted:

Fortunately, there's enough XP in the main quest it doesn't really matter. It's a little disappointing to only get 50g and 5 XP from under-level quests, but just skip them if they don't seem interesting.

I'm assuming you're wrapping things up before the Isle of the Mists point of no return? You'll end up at least level 33/34 from finishing the main quest line, which is a good 10+ hours more playtime, probably more. Frankly I think it's a questionable design decision to park all that XP in the ending sequences but that's how it is.

You don't need to be obsessive about completing your quests before they grey out, basically. If a quest is grey and doesn't sound interesting just don't do it.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Scandalous posted:

Gather round, good tavern folk, and let me tell you the tale of Geralt of Rivia, famed witcher, who sought his lover of yore in White Orchard, and awaking from a nightmare and dispatching a pack of ghouls with nary a scratch, was promptly kicked to death by his friend Vesemir's horse

had this happen during the fistfight outside the white orchard tavern, i got punched hard and geralt recoiled a few paces and then got kicked by two horses, whereupon i stumbeled right back into their waiting fists

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Avalerion posted:

There should be a checkbox next to them, the ones that are checked are installed.

Sheesh, I really WAS being dense. Thank you!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Sheesh, I really WAS being dense. Thank you!

There are two screens, one with the set of downloads, and one where you can turn them on and off. It always takes me like 5 minutes to figure how to switch between them in that bizarre galaxy ui.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Bort Bortles posted:

I never found Superior Northern Wind and it was my favorite bomb :(

It's in the cave where you are sent by plot mission to look for sunstone

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, if you "shove him forcefully" aka break his leg :stare: that's the end of the assassination quest line. You gotta be nicer to him in that scene.

This is probably the worst dialogue choice in the entire game. It lies about the action being performed, which would be fine if it was just a throwaway joke, but instead it locks you into a pretty bummer ending. It also doesn't make sense that I couldn't just talk to Roche and Ves to continue the plot, considering they and Dijkstra end up at odds anyway!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Just a general lore question that Witcher 3 isn't very clear on. The North going apeshit on mages was only 1 of the possible outcomes in Witcher 2. I imported the save where Triss spilted the beans on the lodge of sorceress and a new conclave was to be set up. Does the game not track that outcome or did something cause Radovid to just be like meh, off with their heads.

I am in Novigrad atm, not yet gone to skelliage or whatever island Is it revealed later?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Radovid hates mages (and goes insane) because Phillipa basically tortures him through his whole childhood. Radovid getting the better of her and starting the witch hunt sent the other lodge members into hiding.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've finished the game. For the last couple of days I've wrapped up anything else I could. I was at level 35, with mastercrafted armour, all potions save mimic and succubus decoction and around 65k cash. Clocked around 110 hours, GOG is weird with playtime.
As for my choices: Ciri is a witcher, Geralt chills with Triss in their nice house,Temeria is a vassal to Nilfgaard. Keira puts her knowledge for good of mankind, Skellige is ruled by a Cerys, no sentient troll was killed.
I wish there were some meetings during your travel to an inn, for example with Roche and Ves, maybe Priscilla, Zoltan and Dandelion. Also there should be some more of your chosen love interest in the latter part of the game!
I'm pretty happy with my ending, I've only messed up the serial killer quest, and I've missed the sleeping vampire in Novigrad's sewers.

And now I have no AAA story-driven RPG to play. Maybe if we're lucky Fallout 4 will have engaging main quest, if not there's always those two expansions. I'll probably finish DA:I now, but despite having a passable story and good characters I'm not sure I can suffer through MMO style battles.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

I love that even though most endings are quite different, everyone decides to go with Cerys. In contrast to a lot of other choices I didn't even think for a second. I'd love to see some Telltale-style stats one the game.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Is there any trick to the fistfights? Between the performance on PS4, the slow response time on blocks and getting three shot by everyone in Novigrad or later I'd rather fight multiple gargoyles. If I get into a heavy block and counter pattern I can scum it out but one random jab pattern and I'm hosed

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
So I downloaded this game on Friday and holy crap are the graphics beautiful. I recently upgraded my card, so I play it on ultra. I also like the easy switch between gamepad and keyboard/mouse.

I do miss, "Did you say something, or did you just fart?" Also, I'm hoping I run into drunken Orem again. That quest was hilarious. Geralt should also say, "I'm too old for this poo poo." like he did in Witcher 2.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

alex314 posted:

I've finished the game. For the last couple of days I've wrapped up anything else I could. I was at level 35, with mastercrafted armour, all potions save mimic and succubus decoction and around 65k cash. Clocked around 110 hours, GOG is weird with playtime.
As for my choices: Ciri is a witcher, Geralt chills with Triss in their nice house,Temeria is a vassal to Nilfgaard. Keira puts her knowledge for good of mankind, Skellige is ruled by a Cerys, no sentient troll was killed.
I wish there were some meetings during your travel to an inn, for example with Roche and Ves, maybe Priscilla, Zoltan and Dandelion. Also there should be some more of your chosen love interest in the latter part of the game!
I'm pretty happy with my ending, I've only messed up the serial killer quest, and I've missed the sleeping vampire in Novigrad's sewers.

Ending spoilers!
I felt Yennifer was in the last part of the game absolutely fucktons, every single thing I did she was there with me. Is it not like that with Triss?
Also Triss is the wrong choice because in the books she creeps on him and is then taking advantage of the fact he has amnesia in the Witcher 1/2. Any choice other than Yennifer is really not very Geralt.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

King Bahamut posted:

Is there any trick to the fistfights? Between the performance on PS4, the slow response time on blocks and getting three shot by everyone in Novigrad or later I'd rather fight multiple gargoyles. If I get into a heavy block and counter pattern I can scum it out but one random jab pattern and I'm hosed

It's hit or miss but I found constantly moving backwards will force your opponent to heavy attack rather than jab so you can easily counter and heavy attack them back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah just stay a bit away from them and they'll always do a heavy attack eventually. Fist fights are just a matter of countering over and over until they die. The last two are the exception because you're against a bear and troll. Funnily enough, they're way easier than the human enemies because you can just smack them without doing the stupid counter baiting thing that every human boxing match (and, to an extent, every human enemy in the game) turns into.