Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
This is just gonna keep going like an endlessly spinning wheel that goes nowhere. I've learned some fascinating things about how the Roma are inherently incapable of integrating into glorious western civilization and about various leftist conspiracies to kill black men and make video games terrible, though.

E: Witcher 3 has very little diversity, which is bad. It has a lot of interesting stuff on how the devs interpret how life was in medieval eastern europe with magic mutants added in, lots of cool slavic mythology, and is pretty uncompromising in its portrayal of how brutal and terrible war can be for people caught in the middle of it, and also viking celts, which makes it an awesome game. It has only one gay man in it, which I think sucks. In total: great game, could be more diverse. All gamers should be killed, hail satan.

murphyslaw fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

murphyslaw posted:

This is just gonna keep going like an endlessly spinning wheel that goes nowhere. I've learned some fascinating things about how the Roma are inherently incapable of integrating into glorious western civilization and about various leftist conspiracies to kill black men and make video games terrible, though.

That was figured out long before the conversation started here. Just sit back and watch twitter cannibalize itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTLqp-KKuo4

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

That was figured out long before the conversation started here. Just sit back and watch twitter cannibalize itself.

The moment you get seriously invested is the moment you lose.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The whole argument is retarded.

Witcher portrays racism with elves and dwarves quite realisticly yet people demand their token ethnicity just for the ease of mind, nevermind that they would most definietly would be portrayed as slaves or as an enemy.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is two controversies conflated. There's Witcher 3, and there's an RPG about 14th Century Bohemia (Kingdom Come. Deliverance, I believe).

Ah, I hadn't heard much about the second game. Witcher 3 is still filled with a ton of Tolkien fantasy stuff though that kind of dilutes any arguments based on being faithful to slavic culture. 15th century Bohemia was also pretty far from being some isolated "whites only" region.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

poptart_fairy posted:

Male only, but the game cracked a number of jokes based on your skin tone.

I remember the issue of "reskinned white people" coming up in the minorities thread when discussing straight replacements for the bald white dude as a generic protagonist. How would you go that route without resorting to tokenism?

Ask Lightbox Interactive, they made Emmett Graves. I mean holy poo poo, just make a strong character without stereotypes. I mean Jade from Beyond Good and Evil is a great character.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

blackguy32 posted:

Ask Lightbox Interactive, they made Emmett Graves. I mean holy poo poo, just make a strong character without stereotypes. I mean Jade from Beyond Good and Evil is a great character.

I thought Lee from the Walking Dead games was well written. Same for Clem in 2.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The whole "tokenism" thing also tends to come back to the idea that "white male" is the default and any deviations to that must justify their existence.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Zerilan posted:

Ah, I hadn't heard much about the second game. Witcher 3 is still filled with a ton of Tolkien fantasy stuff though that kind of dilutes any arguments based on being faithful to slavic culture. 15th century Bohemia was also pretty far from being some isolated "whites only" region.

If you want an in-universe explanation then black people just don't exist.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

How were they minority characters without simply being reskinned white people is what I'm asking though, as that seems to be a fairly common criticism I see whenever examples of minority leads get brought up in the first place.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Zerilan posted:

The whole "tokenism" thing also tends to come back to the idea that "white male" is the default and any deviations to that must justify their existence.

On the other hand, if said deviation is not written / displayed "well enough," the devs will be the first against the twitter wall.

There was a picture of someone comparing Guybrush Threepwood to a gendered opposite, Galbrush, that laid out some of the finer points. I'll see if I can find it.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
There is apparently a southern country in the Witcher where, not black people, but certainly people who are swarthier than what we would usually consider "white" live. The Witcher 3 takes place in the northern regions, though.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
The Witcher is really deep in its interaction with racial issues, in how it portrays the racism displayed towards the Tall White Guys with Pointy Ears, and the Short White Guys with Beards. They are metaphors for Racism, and it is really deep. Great game, could use some actual minorities in it. 65 hours played, love it. But no secretly I hate it and want to shoot every copy of it into the sun.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
We must capture and depict the inherent and fundamental difference between Whites and not-Whites.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Oh hey, I found the old Slate article about twitter being terrible for this kind of poo poo:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/10/twitter_is_broken_gamergate_proves_it.html

quote:

GamaSutra editor-at-large Leigh Alexander wrote a “gamers are over” article in which she called gamers “these obtuse shitslingers, these wailing hyper-consumers, these childish internet-arguers.” Her article prompted Intel to pull an ad campaign from GamaSutra last week, presumably on the grounds of needing those hyper-consumers’ money. Alexander’s Twitter stream is arguably even less temperate, with remarks such as “it’s funny how dudes who are ‘aspiring games journalists’ tweet bullshit at me as if I cannot instantly kill all their dreams” and “maybe mean of me to burn a young female writer but, sorry, this is not gonna be a career for her.” I doubt that GamaSutra would have published her statement that actor and GamerGate supporter Adam Baldwin “jacks off goats.” You are a professional writer who has just written that a mainstream actor who disagrees with you masturbates goats. What is going on with you?

Possible answer: Twitter is what is going on with you.

quote:

Twitter drags everyone down to the bottom. No matter whom you unfollow, mute, or block, someone you do follow will sooner or later draw your attention to an outrage and encourage you to join the condemnation. On Twitter, negativity is viral.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zerilan posted:

This is where I have to agree with GGers. Racial "tokenism" makes sense when the setting actually is racially diverse.

e: Of course I haven't played Witcher. Do any not-Mongols show up?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 28, 2015

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Brannock posted:

We must capture and depict the inherent and fundamental difference between Whites and not-Whites.

No, that would be bad and stupid.

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007

Zerilan posted:

15th century Bohemia was also pretty far from being some isolated "whites only" region.

Actually, it's pretty far from any region that isn't isolated "whites only". The closest black people you're going to find traveling with impunity are in Spain. Yeah, there might be some ambassador at the King's court, but Kingdom Come takes place over 10 square miles of rural countryside.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

murphyslaw posted:

No, that would be bad and stupid.

Yeah, I'm not arguing against the idea of diversity but as I see the "oh they're just a reskinned white" I'm genuinely curious how you'd make a minority character that didn't fall into that (supposed) trap. It's like how I see female versions of Bioware protagonists get dismissed as female protagonists because they're gender neutral, rather than written to be female - something I never quite grasped.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Custom characters are also bad because there are only 2 gender options.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, I'm not arguing against the idea of diversity but as I see the "oh they're just a reskinned white" I'm genuinely curious how you'd make a minority character that didn't fall into that (supposed) trap. It's like how I see female versions of Bioware protagonists get dismissed as female protagonists because they're gender neutral, rather than written to be female - something I never quite grasped.

Me neither tbh. You can't please everybody. For my part I would be satisfied with a wandering trader being a part of the main quest or a jaunt into some foreign locale just to show that there's a world beyond not-poland. I'm sure that's completely stupid re: the books and tokenism or whatever but I think that would be cool, personally.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

poptart_fairy posted:

How were they minority characters without simply being reskinned white people is what I'm asking though, as that seems to be a fairly common criticism I see whenever examples of minority leads get brought up in the first place.

How is Sheva a minority character other than basically being a reskinned Jill Valentine in all but origins only? I thought she was an ok character.

I mean we aren't THAT different to white people. Yeah we have different experiences that color our opinions but its not like we are some alien race that only listens to hip-hop.

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

On the other hand, if said deviation is not written / displayed "well enough," the devs will be the first against the twitter wall.

There was a picture of someone comparing Guybrush Threepwood to a gendered opposite, Galbrush, that laid out some of the finer points. I'll see if I can find it.

Nobody held Jade for not being "Latina" enough.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

blackguy32 posted:

How is Sheva a minority character other than basically being a reskinned Jill Valentine in all but origins only?

I mean we aren't THAT different to white people. Yeah we have different experiences that color our opinions but its not like we are some alien race that only listens to hip-hop.

Twitter and tumblr weren't a thing when BG&E first came out.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
Personally, I'd love to play a medieval fantasy game where a Mansa Musa esque king from a far off land suddenly shows up out of nowhere one day on a pilgrimage with a massive entourage and a ludicrous amount of gold.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

You sure about that?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

blackguy32 posted:

How is Sheva a minority character other than basically being a reskinned Jill Valentine in all but origins only? I thought she was an ok character.

Well Sheva was born and raised in the area the game is set and still got complained at for not being black enough. :v:

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

murphyslaw posted:

Me neither tbh. You can't please everybody.

Our modern internet gadgets have cemented the fact that if you can't please one person, that one person will screech to their thousands of internet followers, so now you can't please lots of everybodys.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
There are a few different non-white characters in the newest Witcher game, I just remembered, who are really neat characters. One of them is this kind of weird fey kid who is blue that you find in a hole in the ground who is hilarious, and another is a sympathetic succubus with brown skin who you can either loving murder iirc or let live (like in the Witcher 2). Problem is, none of these characters are actually human. I guess that counts in some way though. More learned people than me will have to weigh in on that.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bholder posted:

Custom characters are also bad because there are only 2 gender options.

gender sliders are actually possible (and quite fun).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

i dont believe you!

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
The Witcher is specifically based on a Polish series of books in a setting based on Polish history and folklore right? Did people also expect Koei to put Mexican characters in Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

poptart_fairy posted:

Well Sheva was born and raised in the area the game is set and still got complained at for not being black enough. :v:

Given that you encounter literal spearchuckers straight out of a Tin-Tin book later on I'm surprised they showed as much restraint as they did.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm still amazed nobody on the team thought twice about that. I know Capcom's primarily Japanese, but even so. loving hell guys.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Squinty posted:

The Witcher is specifically based on a Polish series of books in a setting based on Polish history and folklore right? Did people also expect Koei to put Mexican characters in Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

Polish people are white and therefore do not get protection when making a game about their culture.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Turdy dick licker and holder of AIDS balls.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

argondamn posted:

Polish people are white and therefore do not get protection when making a game about their culture.

Basically anglos, I hear.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is this appropriate fodder for this thread now or do I have to make it be about Fuckin' Gamers somehow?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Who exactly (i.e. which groups) are part of the conspiracy to make games not fun? Blaming websites with millions of users like tumblr and twitter is obviously absurd. This whole 'anti-' boogeyman is really strange to me.

VJeff posted:

Is this appropriate fodder for this thread now or do I have to make it be about Fuckin' Gamers somehow?

Why would a sports tweet be relevant to gamergate?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

VJeff posted:

adam baldwin will not be happy with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
personally i enjoy videogames. personally i am videogames.

• Locked thread