Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
still the best potato

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Opposing Farce posted:

You think you're done but you're not.

oh dear god I just got to this point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

So now that I've finished the main quest I can return to the thread.

Questions for you white mages:

Do you feel that Assize is worth using as more than just a swiftcasted Medica?

Do you think Aero III affords us an opportunity to have consistent damage on mob trash pulls?

When do you feel is a good time to use Tetragrammaton?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Hmm, I'm so confused, when I try to log in to FFXIV I all of the sudden get this in the launcher:

When I try to enter my actual number I originally used to activate Heavensward it just tells me that that activation number has already been used.

Anyone else see this, or have any ideas on what to do?

goldjas fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 27, 2015

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

goldjas posted:

Hmm, I'm so confused, when I try to log in to FFXIV I all of the sudden get this in the launcher:

When I try to enter my actual number I originally used to activate Heavensward it just tells me that that activation number has already been used.

Anyone else see this, or have any ideas on what to do?

Your original number was just your early access number. You should have another code from where ever you bought it from that is your actual expansion code.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

brokenknee posted:

Do you think Aero III affords us an opportunity to have consistent damage on mob trash pulls?

I dunno about the other things but even on single target Aero 3 is like the third best DoT in the game for damage per cast, I think.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

brokenknee posted:

So now that I've finished the main quest I can return to the thread.

Questions for you white mages:

Do you feel that Assize is worth using as more than just a swiftcasted Medica?

When do you feel is a good time to use Tetragrammaton?

Use Assize on cooldown, or nearly. If people don't need healed then cleric stance it. 10% mp every 90 seconds is nothing to sneeze at, and neither is 300 pot of healing or damage.

You should try to keep aero 3 going 100% of the time if you can help it. It's great damage for little effort.

Use Tetra whenever you need a bit of healing right now. It's only a 60 second cooldown so don't worry about saving it forever for that one big hit unless you're doing a boss you know has a tankbuster coming up or something.

edit: Basically all the new WHM tools are great and you should use them as often as possible.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Lest we forget:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/179388-Game-content-is-full-of-mistakes...much-worse-than-FFXIV-1.23

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So apparently this game goes full Game of Thrones at the end of the second arc. Was not expecting this...

:staredog:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Are there any commonly used strats for the last boss of Library? I've only done it once and it was with a mumble premade so it was easy to bark orders over voice, and if there's something duty finder groups have been doing I'd rather just learn that for the future.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

When I first did it, we worked out that we'd all group up at the entrance, and two of us would go clockwise and the other two counter. So probably something like that. But it's not a huge deal if the adds spawn anyway.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
How does this game play?

Like, does this game play like a Final Fantasy but with friends, or does it play to more generic MMO setups? What are its strengths, and what are its honest weaknesses?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Psyker posted:

How does this game play?

Like, does this game play like a Final Fantasy but with friends, or does it play to more generic MMO setups? What are its strengths, and what are its honest weaknesses?

It controls a lot like WoW, but slower. It's definitely ARPG rather than JRPG, but the controls are smooth and responsive, and the game can be played without issue on controller or mouse+keyboard. The game's biggest strengths are an enjoyable levelling experience and an absolutely stellar soundtrack, which is probably my favorite FF soundtrack full stop after 3.0.

As far as weaknesses? It can be difficult to get on to your friends' server if they're on a popular one, and levelling DPS classes is definitely more of a chore than tanks or healers. Also, you need two service accounts to cross-play between PS4 and PC.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

readingatwork posted:

So apparently this game goes full Game of Thrones at the end of the second arc. Was not expecting this...

:staredog:

Koji apparently introduced Yoshi-P and a bunch of the jp dev team to GoT and they're all REALLY into it, and I'm still on the fence about whether that's a good thing after like, 2.4. But at least it's more interesting because you're never sure if your favorite character is safe. RIP Moenbryda.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

(HW spoilers) I really don't like the way they just seemed to sort of... handwave that plot thread away in HW. Probably the weakest part of the entire expansion for me.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Did anyone ever figure out if Delirium reduces blunt resist yet?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to make my own menu because the default one is bloated and missing stuff at the same time

The gif sucks because the program I made it with only records for a few seconds :v:

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

The gif sucks because the program I made it with only records for a few seconds :v:

Gifcam

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

I decided to make my own menu because the default one is bloated and missing stuff at the same time

Share your macros for that?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Psyker posted:

How does this game play?

It's an MMO in the classic sense of an MMO, but it's the best one there is and it's pretty fun to just chat with your FC while you do kinda boring story missions.

If you're going to sub to this game make the extra effort to get up really early EST and get on Excalibur because A) It gives you people to talk with while you're doing boring poo poo B) It gives you people to queue with when you hit a story dungeon.

Seriously, I'm only up to Haukke Manor, which is a dungeon you hit like halfway through the main story, and I've never found it difficult to find a goon group for any dungeon I ever had to do to progress in the story.

It is always as simple as asking "Hey, does anyone mind running *X story dungeon* with me?" to get a group that will get you through whatever your next thing is.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

vOv posted:

(HW spoilers) I really don't like the way they just seemed to sort of... handwave that plot thread away in HW. Probably the weakest part of the entire expansion for me.

I've bitched many times about that, especially Nanamo living when if ANYONE should've died, it should've been her, especially when her cutscene 'death' is as brutal as Hauteforchaunts. And speaking of this expansion felt like a double gut punch as Nanamo is alive and off scot free, while my three favorite characters are dead, dead, and practically dead.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Draynar posted:

Share your macros for that?

It's just a shitton of macros that look like this:
/hotbar copy PLD 7 share 5

Basically the way hotbars work is that when you switch from class bars to shared bars, the stuff that was on your class bar is saved. Since you only ever use ~4-5 bars per class at most, it leaves dozens of bars you can use for whatever. So you just toss some stuff on to non-shared bars, then turn on bar sharing and have the Menu buttons replace the shared bar with the stuff from the non-shared bar and suddenly you're making interactive menus.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Boten Anna posted:

Koji apparently introduced Yoshi-P and a bunch of the jp dev team to GoT and they're all REALLY into it, and I'm still on the fence about whether that's a good thing after like, 2.4. But at least it's more interesting because you're never sure if your favorite character is safe. RIP Moenbryda.

Wait, really?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Even in 2.0 the localization was practically lousy with GOT references, and now Koji's taking it straight to the source.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Eimi posted:

I've bitched many times about that, especially Nanamo living when if ANYONE should've died, it should've been her, especially when her cutscene 'death' is as brutal as Hauteforchaunts. And speaking of this expansion felt like a double gut punch as Nanamo is alive and off scot free, while my three favorite characters are dead, dead, and practically dead.

Yeah, my experience with anime plot cliches tells me that we're going to re-fight Nidhogg and just when all seems lost, Estinien will manage to reassert control for a moment, tell us to kill him, etc., etc., etc. I knew it was going to happen given all his talk about 'staying in control' but still :(

In non-spoiler news, the jump in complexity between a 50 BLM and a 60 BLM is pretty huge. I think if you have both Sharpcast and Fire 4 you might want to use Sharpcast during astral phase right before you Fire so that you can get a free Fire 3 off without having to worry about wasting the Firestarter proc; if you don't have Fire 4, maybe use it for Thundercloud off a Thunder 1?

vOv fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 28, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

dreffen posted:

Wait, really?

Did you really think the absurd amount of ASOIAF references in ARR were all purely coincidence? Hell in 3.0 you have Dusk Vigil full of Castle Black and Night's Watch (oh and don't forget the ice zombie enemies) references specifically. In 2.0 you had things like Sppokycroft's boss using Red Wedding as an attack which was kinda neat, but the aforementioned area and its references are on a whole new level.

Though the use of Tactics Ogre gearsets just makes me want an Ogre Battle event/dungeon/raid even more. You could even give each class an outfit from a major character. PLD can use either Destin or Lans, BLM is Warren, NIN is Vice, DRK is Lans Tartare...etc.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I just finished the DRK 50 quest, and i want to tell everyone to please play DRK, even if you only do it for the storyline, because it's really good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Freak Futanari posted:

I just finished the DRK 50 quest, and i want to tell everyone to please play DRK, even if you only do it for the storyline, because it's really good.

wait'll you see the 58 quest, omg

I wonder what the 60 quest will bring, I hope it's good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

dreffen posted:

Wait, really?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

vOv posted:

In non-spoiler news, the jump in complexity between a 50 BLM and a 60 BLM is pretty huge. I think if you have both Sharpcast and Fire 4 you might want to use Sharpcast during astral phase right before you Fire so that you can get a free Fire 3 off without having to worry about wasting the Firestarter proc; if you don't have Fire 4, maybe use it for Thundercloud off a Thunder 1?

I have no idea how good this is but I have two basic openings. If there's a lot of weaker enemies, I use sharpcast a Thunder 1 to proc a Thunder 3 on a second enemy (Or the toughest enemy in the group) and swiftcast Fire 3 before just doing a standard AOE rotation. If it's a smaller number of mobs or they're just really tough enemies that you want to burn down one by one, I swiftcast Thunder 3, then sharpcast Fire 1 then use Fire 3.

I've no idea what the optimal Fire 4/Blizzard 4 rotation looks like. At the moment I use Fire 4 2x, Fire 1, Fire 4, Blizzard 3, Blizzard 4, Thunder 1, then Fire 3 and back to the beginning again. It gets tighter as it goes on due to Enochian getting refreshed for less each Blizzard 4 cast though. I usually save swiftcast and sharpcast for keeping Umbral Fire 3 up for dodging.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Though the use of Tactics Ogre gearsets just makes me want an Ogre Battle event/dungeon/raid even more. You could even give each class an outfit from a major character. PLD can use either Destin or Lans, BLM is Warren, NIN is Vice, DRK is Lans Tartare...etc.

I'd love it if they could get Matsuno working on FF14.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

nice

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Eimi posted:

Uh even back in 2.55 there were a couple of hints that suggested she wasn't actually dead. There had previously been references elsewhere in the game to a potion that could induce death-like sleep, and if you talked to people in Ul'Dah after poo poo went down there were a number of people talking about how it was announced the Sultana had "fallen ill". There's no way they could have kept that charade up forever, so Lolorito's plan wasn't that hard to figure out from there. especially with what happened to Teledji. Also lol if you think it's the last we'll see of him. Sure, the status quo may be restored for now but that doesn't mean Ul'dah's problems are magically gone, and we have a much better idea of who stands where on them now and how far they're willing to go.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Evil Fluffy posted:

Though the use of Tactics Ogre gearsets just makes me want an Ogre Battle event/dungeon/raid even more.

wait really?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

And then jumbo cactpot happens to be 3357 when I'm holding a ticket for 3359. Thanks Obama.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Rei_ posted:

wait really?

The level 60 dungeons sets are straight up Tactics Ogre class armors, and they look amazing.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Psyker posted:

How does this game play?

I've been playing for over a week. The combat is a lot like WoW but most monsters have telegraphs you can dodge out of. Questing is mostly generic sidequest hubs of several quests where you have to kill a number of monsters or loot certain objects on the ground that spawns monsters. There is a main storyline quest that starts at level 1 and follows you for your entire FF14 career (I think! I'm only at 39.) What I like most is the multiple job thing your character has. Instead of making an alt and redoing all the quests again, you can just switch to another class and get a bonus 100% more exp on whatever you do. If you're bored of healing you can just click and start stabbing some crabs. If you like FF then everything will feel really FF to you. From the music to the graphics to the characters and generic bad guys. I really love the music.

If you're not into story things then beware that there are a lot of cutscenes. Even doing dungeons there will be cutscenes and everyone will have to wait for you to finish watching them. That said, dungeon queues are really quick because there is level scaling and daily dungeons that send high level players into low level dungeons. Queues rarely take more than 5 minutes. If you're looking to level with other people in the open world then you might be out of luck. I hardly see anyone at my level doing quests even on a very populated server. Everyone is already high leveled. If you come from something like WoW you'll notice cast times and the GCD to be really long. Even telegraphs have a delay on when you get out and when it goes off so even if it looks like you're out you still take damage from a cone attack when you're clearly already behind the monster.

I think I may have typed too much stuff. Sorry if its a lot to read. The game is fun!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

for the whole "feels like final fantasy" thing, not gonna lie, turning the UI off and just roaming around town trying to find the important people and thereby having to speak to all the NPCs makes visiting new cities and towns way more enjoyable and makes me actually give a poo poo about the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Psyker posted:

How does this game play?

On the general questing/getting xp, it feels a lot like World of Final Fantasy: quest givers everywhere, "go fetch me 5 rat tails, warrior of light, oh thanks here's some gil and a rusted knife, enjoy. Oh and while you're here, I really need someone to give eggs to my cousin." and so on. You engage mobs, roll your face on the keyboard to do damage and move out of the way of hits sometimes. At some point you'll have to do dungeons with parties of 4 to 8 players, and raids of 24.
On group mechanics, it follows the holy trinity of Tank/DPS/Support with aggro management and each job has a determined role, you can't make a damage dealing white mage for example, or you'll suck at both damage dealing and healing.
Compared to other MMOs, there's a huge storyline with cool animated cutscenes with you cool hero doing cool things with cool (subjected to personal appreciation) story characters, kinda like what I've seen in SWTOR, that really make you feel involved in the world and what's happening.

On the weaknesses and shortcomings :
  • Dumb fetch quests all over the place, they're not that boring but some involve a lot of travels for no good reason
  • Gameplay is kinda slow, especially at start, because of the global cooldown for most of your skills. It gets better when you start having options to thread instant skills between GCD skills, and cooldown reduction bonuses, but still. You get used to it.
  • Unlike, say, GW2 or TERA, there's no dynamic combat/active dodge to make sure you won't get hit, the best you get is getting out of orange circles/cones/lines
  • Due to the servers being in Canada (?) and a weird netcode, it might be laggy sometimes and you'll get hit by aoes you thought you dodged. It doesn't happen that much but being european some fights are really really tight for me (I'm looking at you Titan EX)
  • Lot of grind to get cool gear, but hey, it's a MMO
  • Some textures are kinda sloppy
  • I think the voice acting sucks except for one or two characters

On the strengths :
  • An actual JRPG story ! With both cool and bad things you can imagine from a JRPG but overall it's pretty enjoyable, the last months raised the bar in terms of things happening, and your character is the central piece of the story unlike some other games
  • Actual Final Fantasy setting, with chocobos, moggles, past games monsters, crystals, gils, Cid, Wedge, Biggs, airships...
  • One character to rule them all : you have access to every class/job/craft/gathering possible with your character, you can swap whenever you're off-combat, without all your gear cluttering your inventory since it's stored in a special place. When you swap job, you'll be geared as you last registered it, and your skill bars will be replaced. And to top that, you get bonus XP while levelling a new job under your top job's level. You also get cross job skills, so you can equip some skills you've unlocked from other classes to give you more options and synergies
  • Job storylines that may or may not be interesting, you'll have to advance the job quests every 5 levels (until 50, every 2 levels after) to get some new skills and gear sets, they come with their own stories, characters and such
  • Super cool dungeons with some nice mechanics on boss fights
  • Super cool boss fights that get their own arena, mechanics, music and cutscenes without being part of dungeons (like Ifrit, Ramuh, etc)
  • Harder versions of said boss fights & raids
  • Level sync & duty finder : you'll be able to go inside previous dungeons, with your level & stats reduced (and less skills) to help friends or random strangers, that will get you daily rewards in gold, xp and gear currencies. You can also participate on map wide battles call FATES (kinda like the live events in GW2 or rifts in Rift) with your level synched to get xp/gold/others. Basically you can always have some content to do other than endgame content for example.
  • Cool fashion, the armors are cool, you can "glamour" stuff appareance into your gear, so sometimes you get odd things like a catgirl in bikini tanking a dozen of mobs
  • While I said some textures are sloppy, the world is overall really pretty
  • The english localisation team is awesome, with puns and subtle references in quest/FATE names and dialogue, without being obnoxious
  • The community is mostly super nice and I've only had a handful of stupid people in the few months I've played

Velveteen posted:

There is a main storyline quest that starts at level 1 and follows you for your entire FF14 career (I think! I'm only at 39.)
It does ! All the way through the end of the standard game patches and the expansion content, enjoy :)

Zanael fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 28, 2015

• Locked thread