Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That comment that sparked this was sarcasm towards some troll that kept writing up walls of text, but the Internet is too dumb to notice that. As usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ian Bell is legit my hero

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

peter gabriel posted:

Ian Bell is legit my hero

I like that he seems to "trigger " the terrible reddit machine every time he farts.

I need to put some laps in. Been to busy playing with new kitchen toys and being the batman.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Even if people bought Nintendo consoles for anything more than Smash Bros, Mario, and Zelda games, would the Wii U's audience (by Nintendo's design/admission) even be the kind that wants a hardcore racing sim?

*waves wiimote to flip off drivers*
*looks at Gamepad for Motec display*
*crashes*

Also, it would just give SMS YET ANOTHER group of people who bitch about the Logitech loving G27 not being supported on their console. Why would they want to do that to themselves?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Today I have nothing to do and FedEx is bringing me a G27. It will be a good day.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Is that your first wheel ?

If so, you're in for a treat.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I played some Forza back in the day with the 360 wheel but I expect this will be a lot nicer. I'm thinking I'll try out TrackIR again too; I didn't like it very much with a controller because I had a hard time driving while looking around.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah, the g27 is a massive step up vs that 360 wheel.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22938-Jack-Spade-FFB-Tweaker-Files

That ^ improves the FFB in game. I'd give those a shot.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Sweet, I'll check that out. Thanks!

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
I finally found the one setting you need to tweak to dramatically improve the FFB - on the individual car settings FFB tuning set the Fy scale to 0.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I find Fy at 30 to be the sweet spot for most cars. Less than that and they start feeling to light, and then you end up fudging weight back in with other FFB options.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So I got really busy and away from PCars for a bit, and they go ahead and announce Pcars 2 and the 2.0 Patch looms ahead.

I am terrible and already backed PCars 2 because, while it seems like a dick move to ask for funding this soon after Pcars came out, PC2 seems to have a good reason, Rally, which seems valid an excuse as any to need a new game.

And i'll wait out till the 2.0 patch with excitement for the Oculus 0.6.0.0 SDK support. That hopefully means they got the game dialed in finally for current DK2 VR.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why is it a dick move?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It really isn't, it just seems weird because the current version is still pretty buggy. Not that companies don't it all the time but having it publicly funded makes it really visible that you are moving staff over to a new game.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's not publicly funded though. There's this misconception about what SMS is doing. They're allowing people who want to be influential during development of pcars 2 to do so by pledging cash.

The money buys you into the game, test builds, and feedback. They don't need the money.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Hey so last nights event didnt go quite as planned......

I somewhat underestimated the race length (oops!), several people who are new to the game caused a few minor accidents (hey, it happens!), but also werent on mumble to say "my bad!" or "look out!" (annoying!) and half the field quit after the 1st race (probably due to the aforementioned issues). Also we kind of said gently caress it and didnt do the Imola race.

Results are posted in the doc

In other news this game is still very pretty

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

G27 trip report: never leaving the house or sleeping again.

I was one of the newbies last night. Sorry I left after the first race, I was getting annoyed at my control issues (namely not having a wheel yet). I'm definitely in for the next one and hopefully I'll be less bad.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Don't worry about offending anyone. Even if you hear grumbling I don't think anyone is good enough to actually give a poo poo and at least I want to be in races as large as possible.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Videogames are serious business. Especially ones where we pretend to drive a race car.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Goetta posted:

Don't worry about offending anyone. Even if you hear grumbling I don't think anyone is good enough to actually give a poo poo and at least I want to be in races as large as possible.

Yeah, just show up without getting in mumble, hold down that key on your keyboard bound to throttle and dive into into turn one to take out the whole field after qualifying dead last. No one is good enough to care, right?

I was somewhat disappointed we didn't do Imola. It sounded like most people just didn't like the sun in their eyes. Perhaps avoid sunset races in the future?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Eyud posted:

G27 trip report: never leaving the house or sleeping again.

I was one of the newbies last night. Sorry I left after the first race, I was getting annoyed at my control issues (namely not having a wheel yet). I'm definitely in for the next one and hopefully I'll be less bad.

I've only had my G27 for a few weeks and when I felt the urge today to go and play Gran Turismo 2 I went searching online to see if anyone had made a hack to make the G27 work with that through an emulator.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Essobie posted:

Yeah, just show up without getting in mumble, hold down that key on your keyboard bound to throttle and dive into into turn one to take out the whole field after qualifying dead last. No one is good enough to care, right?

I was somewhat disappointed we didn't do Imola. It sounded like most people just didn't like the sun in their eyes. Perhaps avoid sunset races in the future?

The sun effects are badass and i made it at that time on purpose i wanted to just stop because honestly we had been playing forever and everyone myself included was just frustrated in genereal.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
If nobody bad plays, who am I gonna pass?? If you got the game, play it. We're not playing for money or prestige so at the end of the day I don't think anyone gives a poo poo if you take them out. I make frustrated sounds but that's more reflex than anything else. I want a race -- I can do hotlaps offline whenever I want.

SealHammer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 27, 2015

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?

SealHammer posted:

If nobody bad plays, who am I gonna pass?? If you got the game, play it. We're not playing for money or prestige so at the end of the day I don't think anyone gives a poo poo if you take them out. I make frustrated sounds but that's more reflex than anything else. I want a race -- I can do hotlaps offline whenever I want.

Fair enough. I seem to be cursed with being competent enough to keep it on the track (mostly) but not being fast enough to keep up with the top two or three of you, so these longer races mostly feel like hotlapping to me anyway. Except with goons talking in my ear the whole time. :shrug:

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Goetta posted:

Also note sealhammer and I making fun of osh for most of Brands Hatch for trying to go 3 wide in the second or third corner.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
Got a stand coming for my wheel so I can't bring myself to play the game with a controller while I'm waiting for it and it's excruciating. I found the Nintendo posts on the forum funny as hell and I really, really want patch 2.0 to be here already but I forget, does that patch fix the setups not saving? Also having only one setup per track seems kinda dumb. I want to save setups based on weather and qualifying and it doesn't even save one setup as it is now so I don't hold out much hope :(

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

SealHammer posted:

We're not playing for money or prestige so at the end of the day I don't think anyone gives a poo poo if you take them out.
Unless it completely takes you out of the race like when three of us lost our engines a couple laps later after first turn mishaps once; being Alt+Tabbed for half the race is decidedly less fun. :smith:

A lot of goon races do end up like hot lapping. Hot lapping with others isn't bad, but getting people to be a bit more conservative on the first turn would probably make them more generally interesting so there's more battles for position (aside from hoping you come out decently from the first turn crash), at least early on.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

bUm posted:

Unless it completely takes you out of the race like when three of us lost our engines a couple laps later after first turn mishaps once; being Alt+Tabbed for half the race is decidedly less fun. :smith:

A lot of goon races do end up like hot lapping. Hot lapping with others isn't bad, but getting people to be a bit more conservative on the first turn would probably make them more generally interesting so there's more battles for position (aside from hoping you come out decently from the first turn crash), at least early on.

Yeah in the future it might be best to turn off damage on the server side, especially considering the modeling is pretty fickle. Some people just aren't going to practice safe bumper-to-bumper driving. If we want to include them, we may as well minimize their effect.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Kaddion posted:

Also note sealhammer and I making fun of osh for most of Brands Hatch for trying to go 3 wide in the second or third corner.

A motherfuckers gotta win some how im that bmw :smith:

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

Is this better?
Regarding setting no damage and encouraging conservative racing through the first lap (or at least the first couple of turns) both sound like good ideas.

Poison Jam posted:

Got a stand coming for my wheel so I can't bring myself to play the game with a controller while I'm waiting for it and it's excruciating. I found the Nintendo posts on the forum funny as hell and I really, really want patch 2.0 to be here already but I forget, does that patch fix the setups not saving? Also having only one setup per track seems kinda dumb. I want to save setups based on weather and qualifying and it doesn't even save one setup as it is now so I don't hold out much hope :(

Being able to save an infinite number of car/track combo setups in a format that is easily transferred to other players (or backed up locally for that matter) is something I didn't think any racing sim would ever ship without. rFactor even had an option to send your current setup to everyone playing in the same game.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

SealHammer posted:

Yeah in the future it might be best to turn off damage on the server side, especially considering the modeling is pretty fickle. Some people just aren't going to practice safe bumper-to-bumper driving. If we want to include them, we may as well minimize their effect.

I'd be okay with visual damage only. Which can still wreck you if we race at night and you broke your headlights.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

So I've got this on PS4, and using a gamepad, and I've been trying to play it off and on since it came out. After putting up with all the bugs, the glitches, loving around endlessly with controller settings, and the AI, I just don't know about this game anymore. I really want to like it. It's got all the features that I want in a racing game, and the type of career mode I really like, but it's overall such a frustrating experience. I keep expecting that I'm going to figure it all out and it'll all click but I'm just not getting there. Maybe I need to suck it up and buy a wheel or something.

For those of you who went from gamepad to wheel on this game, does it make it demonstrably better?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What are your controller settings? I've posted what I use here in the thread. Try those.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So I've been playing this with my flight sim pedals, trackIR and a gamepad and the controls aren't bad but any sort of proficiency driving I thought I got from my Euro Truck addiction is a complete joke. Anyone got any advice for getting better other then just putting my time in? drat I can't seem to even finish a race in my kart and I don't even have forced manual shifting on.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Jarmak posted:

So I've been playing this with my flight sim pedals, trackIR and a gamepad and the controls aren't bad but any sort of proficiency driving I thought I got from my Euro Truck addiction is a complete joke. Anyone got any advice for getting better other then just putting my time in? drat I can't seem to even finish a race in my kart and I don't even have forced manual shifting on.

Ditch the trackir and the pedals. Your focus is divided between all these different bodily mechanics and you're having to learn them all at once. Focus on driving well with just the gamepad first, then integrate the pedals, then the head-tracking. Personally I'd leave the trackir out entirely but that's just my preference for minimal latency with inputs.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SealHammer posted:

Ditch the trackir and the pedals. Your focus is divided between all these different bodily mechanics and you're having to learn them all at once. Focus on driving well with just the gamepad first, then integrate the pedals, then the head-tracking. Personally I'd leave the trackir out entirely but that's just my preference for minimal latency with inputs.

Honestly I've been using the pedals for so long with flying/elite/euro trucker using the gamepad for throttle and brake feels awkward and unnatural comparatively. My biggest problem seems to be getting rid off into a corner by another driver or barely clipping the edge of the road with my front tire because of the inaccuracy of steering with the stick and losing control.

edit: My biggest issue might just be that I keep playing it after I've been drinking and playing euro trucker

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 28, 2015

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

Jarmak posted:

Honestly I've been using the pedals for so long with flying/elite/euro trucker using the gamepad for throttle and brake feels awkward and unnatural comparatively. My biggest problem seems to be getting rid off into a corner by another driver or barely clipping the edge of the road with my front tire because of the inaccuracy of steering with the stick and losing control.

edit: My biggest issue might just be that I keep playing it after I've been drinking and playing euro trucker

I don't see why euro trucker should be giving you issues; I just play the game like I'm the Ayrton Senna of freight haulers and see how fast I can drive the truck with a trailer full of excavation equipment.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SealHammer posted:

I don't see why euro trucker should be giving you issues; I just play the game like I'm the Ayrton Senna of freight haulers and see how fast I can drive the truck with a trailer full of excavation equipment.

Haha no I meant that the issue might be every time I pay cars I'm drunk from being hammered and playing euro trucker

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

What are your controller settings? I've posted what I use here in the thread. Try those.

Thanks, I'll give those a whirl next time I play. I've currently got the following that I pulled off a forum recently. They're the best I've tried thus far:

Steering dead zone: 0
Steering Sensitivity: 30
Throttle dead zone: 0
Throttle Sensitivity: 50
Brake dead zone: 0
Brake Sensitivity: 30
Clutch dead zone: 0
Clutch Sensitivity: 45
Speed Sensitivity: 75
Controller Filtering: 50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

JaysonAych posted:

For those of you who went from gamepad to wheel on this game, does it make it demonstrably better?

For me, absolutely.

These were the controller settings I was using before I got a wheel:

Steering deadzone: 20
Steering sensitivity: 0
Throttle deadline: 0
Throttle sensitivity: 0
Brake deadline: 0
Brake sensitivity: 0
Clutch deadzone: 0
Clutch sensitivity: 0

Speed sensitivity: 70
Controller filtering sensitivity: 80