Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CaseFace McGee posted:

Goddammit, I want one :( hopefully our roof doesn't poo poo the bed until after I fill my piggy bank and order one... and hopefully they do a Black Friday sale that doesn't suck this year.

We closed on our house yesterday. First thing I did was change the locks. Second thing I did was tear apart my sim rig, haul it to the new place, and spraypaint the gently caress out of the PVC. Today I'll paint the wood parts... and probably do some moving prep, I suppose... but mainly paint the sim rig.

I don't think fanatec understands black friday sales as they only sell things they want to get rid of. Last year it was CSL seats as I assume they weren't selling well. They can barely keep production going anyway, so it's hard for them to have a sale. Expect to see old porsche based wheels this year probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I hope they put some rims for sale. The BMW rim seems like a good all-rounder for most cars, but it's rather heavy. That formula rim would definitely be nice for open-wheelers.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

jonathan posted:

Is this released from the developers ? I'm not sure I understand the concept of this download.

The ffb in this game has all of its settings exposed in configuration files. It's very similar to older dirt games so people who tweaked these files in previous versions have done the same thing here with these files, most likely carrying values over from older games and tweaking accordingly.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think fanatec understands black friday sales as they only sell things they want to get rid of. Last year it was CSL seats as I assume they weren't selling well. They can barely keep production going anyway, so it's hard for them to have a sale. Expect to see old porsche based wheels this year probably.

wouldn't mind getting a cheap as poo poo fresh new porsche wheel

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Anyone know if DiRT Rally supports custom voice packs? I wanna see if I can cram some Sega Rally voices in there, or do something like this

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Counterpoint: most Black Friday sales (in stores anyway) are selling things they want to get rid of and maybe a few actually notable deals to try and lure people in. Was kind of funny working in retail to see how many Black Friday sale items were on clearance the shortly after for a similar price.

This doesn't hold as true in online sales, but I don't think the racing wheel market is such that it'd do anything but lose them money to do noteworthy discounts on their staple products.

GhostDog posted:

I can't play the career mode in Dirt because I can't comprehend how to rally a front wheel drive.
Even if you do poorly, it doesn't take too long to unlock a 70's car and get things rolling.

All this Dirt talk is making me want to fire it up after starting a hiatus shortly before the Hill Climb was added due to playing the hell out of the first three rallies to the point it was frustratingly repetitive.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

bUm posted:

All this Dirt talk is making me want to fire it up after starting a hiatus shortly before the Hill Climb was added due to playing the hell out of the first three rallies to the point it was frustratingly repetitive.

Wait a week or so, the Germany stuff is supposed to be out soon.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

jonathan posted:

Is this released from the developers ? I'm not sure I understand the concept of this download.
Basically, a forum sperg is doing the developer's job by knowing their engine inside out and spending hours loving with variables that should have been fiddled with by the qa team.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Great Joe posted:

Anyone know if DiRT Rally supports custom voice packs? I wanna see if I can cram some Sega Rally voices in there, or do something like this

Probably not. My understanding is that the pacenotes are one long audio file for each track that has cues for each section.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Cojawfee posted:

I snagged the BMW/F1 rim combo which all told is really super tits since swapping out between a round rim and an F1 rim was a thing I didn't know I wanted in life.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Jehde posted:

Probably not. My understanding is that the pacenotes are one long audio file for each track that has cues for each section.

Still hoping for the multiplayer w/ recon feature.

alr
May 14, 2009
Dirt Rally Germany update next week according to their latest devblog.

Price is going up at the end of June, too - $35 USD to $38.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Accuforce fanboys are going crazy on the iracing forums. That review put out recently comparing the Accuforce, Bodnar and OSW wheels put the accuforce firmly in third place because it has a stepper motor and not a servo motor. Now accuforce owners are lashing out against any thread mentioning fanatec because I guess that's the only thing an accuforce can beat. I personally would rather either get the CSWv2 and save money or spend money on the OSW. Both of those have actual servo motors. The difference being the CSW is not DD and has a smaller motor.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I checked out that force feedback mod for Dirt and it makes my wheel immediately clip. On tarmac, and it's a G27 so it's loud as gently caress. Is there anyway I can just reduce the ffb overall without affecting other games?

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 26, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Why not just take down all the FFB sliders in Dirt by the same amount?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Yeah, that's probably what I'm gonna do. It just seems dumb

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrSEhzwGohU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That articulation is pretty nuts, but it looks like the monitor mount needs some better bracing because you can see it vibrating a lot.

Too expensive for me, either way. :smith:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Accuforce fanboys are going crazy on the iracing forums. That review put out recently comparing the Accuforce, Bodnar and OSW wheels put the accuforce firmly in third place because it has a stepper motor and not a servo motor. Now accuforce owners are lashing out against any thread mentioning fanatec because I guess that's the only thing an accuforce can beat. I personally would rather either get the CSWv2 and save money or spend money on the OSW. Both of those have actual servo motors. The difference being the CSW is not DD and has a smaller motor.

lmao

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
im the posting to make ur self feel better about a 1k+ steering wheel for a video game lmbo

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Oh youtube comments...

quote:

There's no way in hell you seat moves that much in a racing car. It's over dramatised.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Good grief. If I had that much money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd just buy a beater to daily drive then strip down my Subaru and build it back up as an actual rally car.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
lol at the people spending $1,000 on a toy racing wheel and getting into internet bitchfights about it

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

IceAgeComing posted:

lol at the people spending $1,000 on a toy racing wheel and getting into internet bitchfights about it

Isn't that the whole point of $1,000 toys?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Speaking of, is the fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 still an ok buy? I've been getting into dirt a lot and have been using an Xbox controller, but am interested in trying a wheel with it. There is a deal with that plus pedals for $250 aud which seems suspiciously cheap, but I wouldn't want to spend much more than that anyway for a peripheral I'd only use occasionally.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It should be good still. I had a fanatec CSR which is nearly the same thing and I enjoyed it while it was still alive.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Granite Octopus posted:

Speaking of, is the fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS V2 still an ok buy? I've been getting into dirt a lot and have been using an Xbox controller, but am interested in trying a wheel with it. There is a deal with that plus pedals for $250 aud which seems suspiciously cheap, but I wouldn't want to spend much more than that anyway for a peripheral I'd only use occasionally.

i like my gt 2 wheel, as long as you get pedals thats nice, but you'll have to buy that shifter thingy seperate, or just go whole hog and buy the expensive fanatec shifter

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The cheap fanatec shifter sucks, as does it's mounting. Clubsport shifter is awesome.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

That's not a left four, that's a left twoooo... :negative:

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

That's not a left four, that's a left twoooo... :negative:

It's actually a left three, you just gotta stand on the throttle to keep your traction.

But yeah, some of these pace notes are just wrong or totally missing important poo poo like "keep out, hazard inside" so I dive the corner blind and end up tumbling end over end like a toddler on a Power Wheels.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

SealHammer posted:

It's actually a left three, you just gotta stand on the throttle to keep your traction.

But yeah, some of these pace notes are just wrong or totally missing important poo poo like "keep out, hazard inside" so I dive the corner blind and end up tumbling end over end like a toddler on a Power Wheels.
There's this "Right Four Tightens" on Greece that drove me crazy for quite some time until I memorized it because it is more or less a Two Right (it's even a Three Left on the reverse direction, which feels much more lenient based on the approach being coming off another Three turn instead of a high speed straight). It's especially bad because on the normal timed Co-Driver calls the Tightens part is literally not said until you're already halfway into the corner (and going flying off a cliff or, if you were more on the ball, into a boulder that also sits outside the exit of the turn).

Hearing how they did the pace notes* was a downer simply because it seems like it'll be a massive hassle to just fix the plainly wrong ones (think they agreed some were wrong and are going to be fixed eventually), let alone make custom ones which would be neat (custom including giving the option of editing the notes so you could just change them to follow your own preference for a particular curve and who cares if it doesn't have a ~perfect~ intonation for the precise curve at hand based on the actual forces felt in the car).

I also don't like that they don't have any notes explicitly calling for you to cut a turn since sometimes a deep cut works incredibly well and sometimes not (even on ones that don't specify "Don't Cut").

* Pretty sure they said they did them in an actual motion rig following the courses all the way through on a single run with the guy on the Dev Team who actually has worked as a pro rally co-driver for some years. This is cool, but probably made them code it in a less accessible manner than they otherwise would've for "realism/authenticity" that most people don't notice anyway.**

** That said, if they open up any customizing content contributions from the community I really, really hope it's, over anything else, stage design tools/assets so the community can add more stages to the existing rallies since they become hopelessly repetitive. Even when they have the full 7~8 rallies they're shooting for added, two long stages (four if you include reverses which feel quite unique) per rally gets pretty repetitive fairly quickly. One of my favorite aspects of the old Colin McRae games was large stage count making it far less likely for you to end up memorizing the stages to the point you don't even need a Co-Driver. Recreating real world locations is, again, cool, but I feel like as a game it'd be more enjoyable with more quantity rather than a likely unnoticeable drop in quality (aka: they'd probably be able to make double the stage count in the same time without trying to painstakingly match it to real stages that most players won't recognize).

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Getting the workshop up for custom car skins would be a great start, and please dear lord let them actually take custom pace notes seriously, as with your one on Greece, there's a couple on Monaco that always seem to catch me off guard that I'd love to add a 'stay tight' warning to.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Reiza secured a licensing deal for the ISIMotor source code, and they've started a crowdfunding campaign specifically to improve their existing titles:

quote:

We recently have finalized a deal with ISI for licensing the ISIMotor source code - the game engine our games are built on. This move substantially increases our development scope. Up until now, we had only been able to add new functionalities to the game with plugins & code injection - a time consuming & often troublesome way of doing things.

[...]

To this end, content & features planned within this campaign include (but are not limited to) the following:

- Graphics & audio enhancements;
- Physics developments to include tire damage, realistic drivetrain modelling, enhanced FFB;
- New hi-res UI design + HUD system customized for each car type;
- Support for long distance races;
- Automatic steering ratio adjustment + Support for more controller inputs & newer hardware;
- Custom championship tool so users can build their own seasons for offline racing.

They're also working on a completely new sim outside of the scope of this campaign:

quote:

- PC Racing Simulator on Steam, to be developed, expanded & supported for years after initial release;
- Integrates all our licenses & assets (present & future) into the same platform with free core updates + paid DLC packages;
- Release price estimated at US$ 39,99 (base package, not including DLCs);
- Initial release planned for Q4 2016;
- Includes majority of the content base in current sims + expands substantially on official licensed content & international tracks;
- DX12 graphics engine;
- Extensive audio & physics developments;
- Dynamic weather & track conditions.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

bUm posted:

I also don't like that they don't have any notes explicitly calling for you to cut a turn since sometimes a deep cut works incredibly well and sometimes not (even on ones that don't specify "Don't Cut").

There's one high speed L4 in Greece that I can only take fast by jumping the corner entirely, like my outside wheels come well off the track on the inside. If I try to take the corner normally then the crest fucks me up, which ofcourse the co-driver doesn't call out.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Just joined the Dirt Rally goon league as Rictus Erectus so you should have some new blood sitting at the bottom of the standings.

Err, were we supposed to be using the BMW?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gerblederp posted:

Just joined the Dirt Rally goon league as Rictus Erectus so you should have some new blood sitting at the bottom of the standings.

Err, were we supposed to be using the BMW?

I just got the game too, but I'd imagine it's a lot faster than the 70's cars.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

This event is all RWD cars, so pick whichever you like.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I ended up throwing the Stratos off a cliff on the last stage anyway :v:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gerblederp posted:

I ended up throwing the Stratos off a cliff on the last stage anyway :v:

I only lasted until the 2nd stage before throwing it off the cliff!

loving Monaco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
What's the verdict on Project CARS, folks? I recall initial mixed reactions, I think? Specifically interested in how it compares to AC physics and FF-wise I guess, because that's what I've been playing thus far.

Anything I should know before making a purchasing decision?

• Locked thread